Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797496 times)

Mulldrifter and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 317
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7230 on: December 09, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I would be so hyped on a massive Radial Full-type shape but in the 93a Dragon formula. 64mm or so.

I want to try the Dragons formula for long pushes but I'm not into any of their shapes for the bigger sizes.
[close]

I'm pretty sure the Dragons 60mm Rat Bones would not disappoint you a whole lot.

For sure, I am just fickle.

I am morally opposed to asymmetric and square edge wheels.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7231 on: December 09, 2023, 11:31:45 AM »
Same but  i had to purchase some SF lockins just to be sure I am correct in my opposition.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7232 on: December 09, 2023, 06:37:16 PM »
Could someone with some 55m OJ super juice minis tell me if they protrude much past the axel nut? I'm wanting to build a cruiser and trying to math out some deck and truck combos.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7233 on: December 09, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Keyframes are shitty wheels imo, slow as f*ck and won't slide at all. If you're actually looking for a wheel for crusty park + cruising with which you can do some tricks on, get 56mm Dragons.
[close]

I agree. I can slide key frames but it whips back to forward and you seem to have the same amount of speed.
So sliding only helps with when you need to avoid getting run over or hitting someone walking or whatever.

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel softer than 95a again. I might cop the Nano Cubic. I saw them but I'm going to check orchard for Funks first.

I need a 60mm wheel to tide me over till spring.
[close]

I got keyframes two years ago because I heard good things about them. I hated them instantly after the first day. Dragons 93a are the shit. I saw nanocubics shape in 60mm and 93a, should be a fun wheel for cruising too. They also have 64mm Dragons but too scared of that size.  :D

Yeah I'm on 58 mm dragons rn. I need like a spit. Im just trying to decide between the og and the regular classic.

I might just get the tallest 97a spit I can find.

The off set nano would probably exaggerate my double sided curb issues. I gotta subtract truck real estate to find the balance.

Og probably.

I'm going to just set up my dragons when I got to skate to Lynn or whatever
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #7234 on: December 09, 2023, 09:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Keyframes are shitty wheels imo, slow as f*ck and won't slide at all. If you're actually looking for a wheel for crusty park + cruising with which you can do some tricks on, get 56mm Dragons.
[close]

I agree. I can slide key frames but it whips back to forward and you seem to have the same amount of speed.
So sliding only helps with when you need to avoid getting run over or hitting someone walking or whatever.

I don't think I'd ever get a wheel softer than 95a again. I might cop the Nano Cubic. I saw them but I'm going to check orchard for Funks first.

[close]

I got keyframes two years ago because I heard good things about them. I hated them instantly after the first day. Dragons 93a are the shit. I saw nanocubics shape in 60mm and 93a, should be a fun wheel for cruising too. They also have 64mm Dragons but too scared of that size.  :D
[close]

Yeah I'm on 58 mm dragons rn. I need like a spit. Im just trying to decide between the og and the regular classic.

The off set nano would probably exaggerate my double sided curb issues. I gotta subtract truck real estate to find the balance.

Og probably.

https://www.havocskateboards.com/product/spitfire-jeff-carlyle-formula-four-97a-conical-full-58mm/1387

i think this would be what youre looking for, only place i found them in stock

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7235 on: December 10, 2023, 02:07:30 AM »
Could someone with some 55m OJ super juice minis tell me if they protrude much past the axel nut? I'm wanting to build a cruiser and trying to math out some deck and truck combos.

I think they do a few mm, not sure and cant measure it because I threw mine away. They're fun while they last which isnt very long.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7236 on: December 10, 2023, 10:13:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Og probably.

https://youtu.be/E7VoxQgiQ1k?t=204

Haven't found much out in the wild about the nanos...grain of salt here for obvious reasons.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7237 on: December 10, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »

The edge of the wheel will be 1/8" beyond the end of the axle.

1/4" total.

So if you're riding 8.5" axles, 55mm Superjuices will line nicely with an 8.75" deck.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7238 on: December 10, 2023, 02:43:21 PM »
yeah easily that

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7239 on: December 10, 2023, 08:26:42 PM »
Same but  i had to purchase some SF lockins just to be sure I am correct in my opposition.

Against my better judgement, I just bought some 53s…madness
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 08:39:28 PM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7240 on: December 11, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »
Have we discussed the quasi protothane wheels? Has anyone skated them? Where are they poured? Differnt shapes? You know typical wheel madness questions
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7241 on: December 11, 2023, 12:56:15 PM »
Have we discussed the quasi protothane wheels? Has anyone skated them? Where are they poured? Differnt shapes? You know typical wheel madness questions

They’ve popped up in this thread (try a 🔍 ); they’re nothing special, generic creatives.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7242 on: December 11, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They’ve popped up in this thread (try a 🔍 ); they’re nothing special, generic creatives.

I got a set just to see what they were like.

They skate way better than the other wheels from Creative so I don't know if it is a different formula they used or from a different wheel manufacturer.

Still not quite the same as Spitfire Formula Four or Bones wheel variants, but I would maybe choose them over almost any other current generic wheel that I have had in recent years - by no means tried everything on the market, but definitely got a lot of different brands of wheel from trade ins and swaps, as well as some new.

The ones I have are 54 mm in a semi classic shape and then a conical shape, almost like Spitfire Conical Full only not quite as wide, but similar other dimensions.  They feel nice and hold up well on every surface I tried, including bitumen / road, rough concrete, smooth concrete, wood and skate lite ramp surfaces, not too grippy on the rough stuff, not too slick on the wood and smooth concrete.

That is my take on them anyway, from putting them on a board and giving them a go, as well as letting anyone else have a roll on them who wanted to.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7243 on: December 11, 2023, 02:07:41 PM »
I don’t know ‘bout all these haters but I loves me some asymmetrical wheel profile.
Haven’t fucked w/ the mini cubics or any of the OJ offerings because I’m loyal to my soil (so to speak) and those F4 Lock-Ins are scratching my funny wheel itch just fine.
Are they running a larger (58mm?) Lock-In Fulls in the F4 97du yet? ‘Cause that feels like it could eat up a whole lot of a cruiser/curb market segment if they did.
Powell’s got some real nice formulations these days, but I’d take a performance version of a larger cruiser profile wheel (when blown up to larger wheel proportions, the Lock-In Fulls fit this discriptor) in that sweet-azz F4 97 over just about anything else on the softer wheel market. I still feel the balance between slip & grip is hella good & they don’t bind on grinds, but that 97 du has got the squishier feel/rebound of a 93-95 wheel, packaged in some branding that lets me keep it real in the yay area.
TLDR: I like the funny shaped wheels. Yes please!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #7244 on: December 11, 2023, 05:56:10 PM »
Anyone here try out Oj Chubbies yet? Kinda been eyeing those for a minute.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

pops

• Rep: 252
« Reply #7245 on: December 11, 2023, 10:34:04 PM »
I don’t know ‘bout all these haters but I loves me some asymmetrical wheel profile.
Haven’t fucked w/ the mini cubics or any of the OJ offerings because I’m loyal to my soil (so to speak) and those F4 Lock-Ins are scratching my funny wheel itch just fine.
Are they running a larger (58mm?) Lock-In Fulls in the F4 97du yet? ‘Cause that feels like it could eat up a whole lot of a cruiser/curb market segment if they did.
Powell’s got some real nice formulations these days, but I’d take a performance version of a larger cruiser profile wheel (when blown up to larger wheel proportions, the Lock-In Fulls fit this discriptor) in that sweet-azz F4 97 over just about anything else on the softer wheel market. I still feel the balance between slip & grip is hella good & they don’t bind on grinds, but that 97 du has got the squishier feel/rebound of a 93-95 wheel, packaged in some branding that lets me keep it real in the yay area.

Idk just my personal experience but the 97s felt very dull to me (rode both RF and CF in their larger sizes) compared to what Powell/Bones has to offer these days. But if youre a devoted Spits fan give them a go.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #7246 on: December 12, 2023, 02:35:16 AM »

Sadly no 97A Lock-In Fulls [yet?], and the biggest 99A ones are 57mm. The 58mm Radial Fulls in 97A probably come closest to what you're describing. I love that wheel, I barely need to push on those bad boys. They're too chunky for my everyday setup though, I've settled for the 54mm version on my main ride.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #7247 on: December 12, 2023, 04:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The edge of the wheel will be 1/8" beyond the end of the axle.

1/4" total.

So if you're riding 8.5" axles, 55mm Superjuices will line nicely with an 8.75" deck.

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #7248 on: December 12, 2023, 11:11:05 AM »
So, I'm an insane person who likes wheels graphics. So I thought I'd hit my wheels with some clear coat to make the graphic last longer. The Gloss coat, on the wheel made the graphic way more dull. But I do feel like it makes a difference, I think a minimalist wheel graphic would yield a better result... or at least that's what I'm telling myself so I can buy the scifi spitfires.

Session one

Session 5

riding the primitive wheels because I won them, they're the right size/shape and they're not bad.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #7249 on: December 12, 2023, 12:21:47 PM »
^ Impressed and frightened by your insanity. Only ever heard bad things about these wheels

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7250 on: December 12, 2023, 01:14:45 PM »
^ Impressed and frightened by your insanity. Only ever heard bad things about these wheels
Everything he ^ said.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7251 on: December 12, 2023, 01:42:54 PM »
So, I'm an insane person who likes wheels graphics. So I thought I'd hit my wheels with some clear coat to make the graphic last longer. The Gloss coat, on the wheel made the graphic way more dull. But I do feel like it makes a difference, I think a minimalist wheel graphic would yield a better result... or at least that's what I'm telling myself so I can buy the scifi spitfires.

Session one

Session 5

riding the primitive wheels because I won them, they're the right size/shape and they're not bad.

this is cool

inveterate graphics scraper-offer here mind

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7252 on: December 12, 2023, 02:35:06 PM »
They aren’t unskateable. They used to offer a radial slim type that was decent. Nothing special about em though. I don’t think they have done wheels for a few drops now though.

animalflesh

« Reply #7253 on: December 12, 2023, 02:38:51 PM »

Protrude past the nut come on now…

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #7254 on: December 13, 2023, 12:46:53 AM »

Session one

Session 5

Very interesting. I tried to do that with clear nail polish once, worked well for a couple of sessions but I would've had to re-apply it regularly to make the graphics actually last. Let us know if your solution holds up permanently, will ya?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #7255 on: December 13, 2023, 08:32:33 AM »
I doubt it’ll be permanent. The nature of skating. I do think if i rode a conical shape the wheel graphic would last longer.

I’m definitely not reapplying.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7256 on: December 13, 2023, 08:55:20 AM »
I doubt it’ll be permanent. The nature of skating. I do think if i rode a conical shape the wheel graphic would last longer.

Graphics on OG classics last forever
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7257 on: December 13, 2023, 09:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My first set of lock-ins did as well (recessed a bit).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7258 on: December 13, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

My first set of lock-ins did as well (recessed a bit).

Classics and shapes with a lot of contact lose graphics very easily, but any other wheels with cutaway or inside areas, that graphic seems like it never comes off.

I wonder as well sometimes with the different application methods, as some of those full or picture type graphics almost come off like a cheap sticker off a board - maybe a heat transfer of sorts, but other graphics almost seem like they are printed into the urethane so I have had to take off the top layer of the wheel to remove the graphic text or whatever.

Most are the bubble transfer print now, as seen with Bones and a few other brands, but I think one of those super hi tech companies laser prints directly on the wheel, from another video I saw, but can't remember, maybe 2Hex or someone like that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7259 on: December 13, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »
Ricta wheel graphics can be wiped off with acetone and a rag.

I just bought a few sets of discounted Spitfire pro classics. You need a blade to remove the graphics, but I learned a good method. Not as quick as acetone, but a fully blanked wheel is worth the couple minutes it takes.