Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797567 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7380 on: January 25, 2024, 04:41:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curious about the OJ Elite 101s. I really like the Ricta Natural 101a. Feel like the OJs should be similar?
[close]

OJ Elites 99 or 101 are griiiiiiiiiipy, much more than Ricta but have a similar feel to the urethane (not surprisingly). Much prefer OJ 101 Elites to SPF, they just about as fast but are not glassy/don't break free at random.
[close]

break free at random….that scares me just reading it. i am so shit at skating, and the thought of just sliding out, accidentally, as i gingerly try and cruise around the bottom third of a bowl i have no gd business being in….instant rip

This reminds me of the old ricta 83b speed rings I use to skate a this small wooden park. I was a fucking menace. Random power slides across anything like I was fuck Bam. Pump and carve too hard and you’d slip out.

I miss that wheel… I need to check eBay

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #7381 on: January 25, 2024, 09:15:20 AM »
Having a weird experience that’s making me re-think grip in dirty indoor parks.  I noticed my old 95a OJs were picking up way more schmutz than other folks wheels.  I was wondering if it was because they’re softer, but fools’ 93a dragons were staying clean. Took a spin on the homie’s whip and his 99f4’s gripped better and stayed cleaner. I always took for granted that soft = more grip, but if what if, under waxy, dusty, indoor conditions, grip is greatly dependent on how clean your wheels stay? And what if that is formula dependent?  I feel like Lacerda trying to shoot the Mint 400.

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #7382 on: January 25, 2024, 09:31:30 AM »
Having a weird experience that’s making me re-think grip in dirty indoor parks.  I noticed my old 95a OJs were picking up way more schmutz than other folks wheels.  I was wondering if it was because they’re softer, but fools’ 93a dragons were staying clean. Took a spin on the homie’s whip and his 99f4’s gripped better and stayed cleaner. I always took for granted that soft = more grip, but if what if, under waxy, dusty, indoor conditions, grip is greatly dependent on how clean your wheels stay? And what if that is formula dependent?  I feel like Lacerda trying to shoot the Mint 400.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the formula, and somewhat on softness/hardness (not sure how much the latter, though). My X99's (same formula as Dragons I think?) don't seem to dirty up too quick at our dusty indoor. However, as I took my trusty old OJ Elite 99s for a spin a while ago, they gathered lotsa gunk in a jiffy. Madness.

Would be interested in hearing peeps' experiences with Spitfire F4 97's in similar conditions.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #7383 on: January 25, 2024, 09:38:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curious about the OJ Elite 101s. I really like the Ricta Natural 101a. Feel like the OJs should be similar?
[close]

OJ Elites 99 or 101 are griiiiiiiiiipy, much more than Ricta but have a similar feel to the urethane (not surprisingly). Much prefer OJ 101 Elites to SPF, they just about as fast but are not glassy/don't break free at random.
[close]

break free at random….that scares me just reading it. i am so shit at skating, and the thought of just sliding out, accidentally, as i gingerly try and cruise around the bottom third of a bowl i have no gd business being in….instant rip
[close]

They’re dangerously fast wheels. I’m shit at bowls above the lip but I can grind/carve lines for days at full speed and after many spills with 55+ spfs the 101 oj elites saved my life more than a few times I’m sure of it…I’m not good enough to control the slip on stfs.

Above the lip the wheels are even more sketchy-er, landing airs dead eye straight is OK but when you start to land even a little sideways start to become a game of luck, new coping or shiny lacquered ones are pure death, already took bad falls leaving really fast 50-50s/5-0s thinking the wheel gonna grip a little in the end but they just slide off randomly.

Great wheels? Yeah, but id rather have something grippy and reliable than fast and fast
:p

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7384 on: January 25, 2024, 04:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls
[close]

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

@moonordie go team V5 x99 headrush!

I love the matching bushings.

I was about to quote a different pic talking about how the blue makes that graphic. Then I noticed You got the match up bushings too.

I frickin love it.

I can't wait to get my hands on some hollows Kader' 5.8s with the killer new (old) graphic and the green bushings.

Match up with my 3 ply risers and the bottom of my next metal board.

I'm going to try and find a bag of gold flat washers too.

I'll share with pals when I cop. If I cop.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7385 on: January 25, 2024, 07:42:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls
[close]

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

[close]

I was about to quote a different pic talking about how the blue makes that graphic. Then I noticed You got the match up bushings too.

I frickin love it.

I can't wait to get my hands on some hollows Kader' 5.8s with the killer new (old) graphic and the green bushings.

Sometimes it all works out! Other times it's whatever fits the bill/I don't give a shit. I knew I was gonna setup the black/raw vents with this indy blues, so when ordering the V5s it was an easy choice....

That same gear setup is going on something that's almost to matchy matchy.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7386 on: January 25, 2024, 10:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I frickin love it.

[close]

Sometimes it all works out! Other times it's whatever fits the bill/I don't give a shit. I knew I was gonna setup the black/raw vents with this indy blues, so when ordering the V5s it was an easy choice....

That same gear setup is going on something that's almost to matchy matchy.

It's great when the stars align.

Matching your Per profile photo too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7387 on: January 27, 2024, 03:12:47 PM »
anyone skate the snot wide boys?
42mm wide with a 25mm riding surface
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:25:30 PM by munchbox »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

boneless900

• Rep: 60
« Reply #7388 on: January 28, 2024, 09:33:48 AM »

Just set up some lil wide boys a couple days ago so I'm hoping to get a good sesh in today. I snagged em for my 9.1 twin egg (skatesamples gfb shape) but swapped the AF1 60s for Indy hollow 159s.

Also got myself some black v6 53mm x99s for my 8.5 girl twin tip setup to have something to reference. Gonna break the wheels in and get some good time on both sets before I give feedback

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7389 on: January 29, 2024, 06:38:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just set up some lil wide boys a couple days ago so I'm hoping to get a good sesh in today. I snagged em for my 9.1 twin egg (skatesamples gfb shape) but swapped the AF1 60s for Indy hollow 159s.

Also got myself some black v6 53mm x99s for my 8.5 girl twin tip setup to have something to reference. Gonna break the wheels in and get some good time on both sets before I give feedback

They do look like fun!

Reminds me of when some of the big bowl dudes pass on their used wheels, started at 58 mm or so, down to 54 mm then they get passed on again or just skated til they are 50 mm or so and wide as anything still.

Can't wait to see what some of those Radial Full wheels look like when they get down in size.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #7390 on: January 29, 2024, 08:35:26 PM »
Snot came out the gate with every gimmick, now they’re innovating gimmicks.

Hope it pans out

thehogsniper

• Rep: 47
« Reply #7391 on: January 29, 2024, 09:01:24 PM »
Shower thought: why hasn't spitfire (or any other skate company) gotten into the market of making wheelchair wheels? WCMX has massive potential.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7392 on: January 30, 2024, 02:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They’re dangerously fast wheels. I’m shit at bowls above the lip but I can grind/carve lines for days at full speed and after many spills with 55+ spfs the 101 oj elites saved my life more than a few times I’m sure of it…I’m not good enough to control the slip on stfs.

Ha honestly loving the love for the OJ Elite 101's. I too have had some unexpected and nasty slams with SPF 84B. I can trust Elites when carving hard on the super new smooth bowls. And yes they are very near to being just as fast as SPF! I really dig the Mini Combo shape as well...

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7393 on: January 30, 2024, 10:28:55 AM »
Pulled the trigger on some dragons (56mm v6). I know its a dead topic but for those who truly put these to work, did the slideability get better or worse with age? I'm happy with the purchase either way since I'm using it as a supplemental set for when I'm filming others but want to session also.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7394 on: January 30, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »
Pulled the trigger on some dragons (56mm v6). I know its a dead topic but for those who truly put these to work, did the slideability get better or worse with age? I'm happy with the purchase either way since I'm using it as a supplemental set for when I'm filming others but want to session also.
  Probably better,   definitely doesn't get worse
Its been said before, but asphalt, shitty streets, old blacktop courts is where they really shine

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7395 on: January 30, 2024, 10:55:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Its been said before, but asphalt, shitty streets, old blacktop courts is where they really shine
Word. I've been having no real problems sliding on anything other than metal coping at parks. Especially the inside of the wheel when I try to grind coping. Hoping this gets better but not a deal breaker if it remains bad.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7396 on: January 30, 2024, 12:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Word. I've been having no real problems sliding on anything other than metal coping at parks. Especially the inside of the wheel when I try to grind coping. Hoping this gets better but not a deal breaker if it remains bad.

It doesn't/ad nauseam - they don't do well on metal coping of any kind by comparison. Especially dragons, you get that gummy squeal (even on curbs).

The gummy nature dissipates as you move up in duro tho.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:28:27 PM by Xen »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7397 on: January 30, 2024, 12:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

It doesn't/ad nauseam - they don't do well on metal coping of any kind by comparison. Especially dragons, you get that gummy squeal (even on curbs).

I'm sorry if you were tired of seeing that question again. I knew that about them but was trying to approach more at the angle of seeing if those who have truly abused them noticed any change over time. i know most people who had these rode them for like a week then bounced. Thanks for the feedback tho. I will not talk about these again.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #7398 on: January 30, 2024, 12:45:11 PM »
Just wanting to comment OJ elites are the best. Running worn down 54mm 101a hardlines.

Was skating at the slickest park in town, with spotty, residual wetness from the rain, and still didn't slip out. Obviously I stayed out of the actual wet spots, but I was still snail-trailin here and there.

Lovely consistency, easy to break into slides without being slippery (beautiful bark also), almost no friction on grinds, great shape. Hard to be better than F4 or Bones Xwhatever, but I'll recommend Elites to anyone who'll listen.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7399 on: January 30, 2024, 12:55:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
I'm sorry if you were tired of seeing that question again. I knew that about them but was trying to approach more at the angle of seeing if those who have truly abused them noticed any change over time. i know most people who had these rode them for like a week then bounced. Thanks for the feedback tho. I will not talk about these again.

Better than making a separate thread about it……
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7400 on: January 30, 2024, 01:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

i was one of the ones that skated my dragons like 3x’s and then started talking shit. i loved the quiet, smooth, less foot pain. hated the lack of speed checks: everybody, but me, seems to like how they slide. they didn’t slide, for me. i was trying to use them in some really really really old, extremely rough roads. f4 99s are slower on the roads, but the harder wheel speed checks fine, where as only for me, the softer dragons didn’t slide and slip over the top of the crappy roads.
but maybe they’ll break in. i was just over it, and weather has been blocking me from doing much skating.
just got x97s, to give it another shot.

i’m one of those annoying hive-minders that just wants to ride the fire.
i mean i love the idea of a softer wheel that hurts my joints less, and can roll over crud, without being a 56 radial full.
but im so into the way f4s feel….

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7401 on: January 30, 2024, 02:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

i was one of the ones that skated my dragons like 3x’s and then started talking shit. i loved the quiet, smooth, less foot pain. hated the lack of speed checks: everybody, but me, seems to like how they slide. they didn’t slide, for me. i was trying to use them in some really really really old, extremely rough roads. f4 99s are slower on the roads, but the harder wheel speed checks fine, where as only for me, the softer dragons didn’t slide and slip over the top of the crappy roads.
but maybe they’ll break in. i was just over it, and weather has been blocking me from doing much skating.
just got x97s, to give it another shot.

i’m one of those annoying hive-minders that just wants to ride the fire.
i mean i love the idea of a softer wheel that hurts my joints less, and can roll over crud, without being a 56 radial full.
but im so into the way f4s feel….
Not gonna lie, I held off because of the same thought process. Then i heard from the local shop when they came for the premiere (in Austin) that all the LateNiteStars guys ride dragons now. And it now has some underground cool points. I'm enjoying them so far. Just hope that they start working for my local park's quarterpipes since I would like to not have to change them out so often.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7402 on: January 30, 2024, 04:42:21 PM »
Using dragons in a park setting is counterintuitive, you essentially lose all the benefits the formula offers, and speed...it's not what they're made for...Really, it isn't.

If you have to have something softer go x99s, they're gonna work great in park, and everywhere else so no need to swap wheels...or just go spit 99s.

I don't even touch my dragons anymore, there’s one spot that’s just rough as shit and the X 97 serve that purpose; everywhere else I could probably ride spit 99 A’s and not think twice but I like the rebound feel /  the softer vibration deadening, the X 99 offer.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #7403 on: January 30, 2024, 04:55:49 PM »
It's been funny to see how many kids will show up to my local indoor with their worn down bearing condom spits that are 99-101a and slipping around so bad, only to go into the shop and come back out with some fresh dragons and able to actually skate. Heck, it's what I'm ridin'. I was gonna try the x97/x99 but there's still moments where I almost slip out even on these dragons, so they wont be coming off til winter is over. Definitely get that gummy stick on metal coping when I try to maintain a long stand up grind in the bowl and don't stay perfectly center or crosslock it, but I'll take that trade off since I can actually enjoy indoor sessions now. I do think those x97s are gonna be the perfect sweet spot for the outdoors and possibly my new fav wheel.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7404 on: January 30, 2024, 06:30:17 PM »
It's been funny to see how many kids will show up to my local indoor with their worn down bearing condom spits that are 99-101a and slipping around so bad, only to go into the shop and come back out with some fresh dragons and able to actually skate. Heck, it's what I'm ridin'. I was gonna try the x97/x99 but there's still moments where I almost slip out even on these dragons, so they wont be coming off til winter is over. Definitely get that gummy stick on metal coping when I try to maintain a long stand up grind in the bowl and don't stay perfectly center or crosslock it, but I'll take that trade off since I can actually enjoy indoor sessions now. I do think those x97s are gonna be the perfect sweet spot for the outdoors and possibly my new fav wheel.
They're my "set it and forget it" wheel - works for 90% of the stuff I skate which are parks with shitty concrete and street (asphalt, cobblestone).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7405 on: January 31, 2024, 01:11:33 AM »
Just wanting to comment OJ elites are the best. Running worn down 54mm 101a hardlines.

Was skating at the slickest park in town, with spotty, residual wetness from the rain, and still didn't slip out. Obviously I stayed out of the actual wet spots, but I was still snail-trailin here and there.

Lovely consistency, easy to break into slides without being slippery (beautiful bark also), almost no friction on grinds, great shape. Hard to be better than F4 or Bones Xwhatever, but I'll recommend Elites to anyone who'll listen.

Definitely agree. Underrated wheels. They have a great combination of mojo and performance. Plus the Hardline shape is great.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #7406 on: January 31, 2024, 03:43:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They're my "set it and forget it" wheel - works for 90% of the stuff I skate which are parks with shitty concrete and street (asphalt, cobblestone).

Hell yeah. As much as I love Spitfire, I honestly think Bones might have actually beaten F4's in each respective durometer on the scale for market offerings with these new dragon and x-formulas. At least in terms of performance, I think spitfire has better shapes for sure though. Did you try the x99?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7407 on: January 31, 2024, 05:45:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Hell yeah. As much as I love Spitfire, I honestly think Bones might have actually beaten F4's in each respective durometer on the scale for market offerings with these new dragon and x-formulas. At least in terms of performance, I think spitfire has better shapes for sure though. Did you try the x99?

Not fully, pushed around on a friend's board with X99 during a park session, harder but not chattery.

Bones' marketing has a lot to catch up on, Spitfire's quarterly catalog is more vibrant and eye catching despite always releasing Classics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7408 on: January 31, 2024, 06:32:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Not fully, pushed around on a friend's board with X99 during a park session, harder but not chattery.

Bones' marketing has a lot to catch up on, Spitfire's quarterly catalog is more vibrant and eye catching despite always releasing Classics.

classics are the best shape tho

i think these x97s, that i just purchased, are v1s. shape looks nice.
has a chain graphic that would not have looked out of place on a rogue status stars n straps model.
i mean its gotta come back around. seen some von dutch. just a matter of time and that bones graphic on the lower 3rd of the t shirt is gonna hit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7409 on: January 31, 2024, 07:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Honestly, I don't think they even try anymore...old heads buy every colorway of every re-issue without any marketing at all...and those SPF users (see reissues) are locked in...STF could have used some love, honestly surprised they didn't put these under the Bones flag as STFx or some shit.

They used social and youtube to push the xformula and word of mouth killed it for these things, because they're legit. It'd be hard to print out catalog for a drop with 'new formula x' and get shops to bite you know? Second place is hard to shake after what, a decade? They never bounced back after F4s hit, and they let the last team go...for this new one...how the mighty company behind the Bone Brigade just let that shit go is beyond me.

We get Dan and Andy as poster boys....far cry from Hawk and Cab....hell Siaz and Martinez.