Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 790678 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7350 on: January 14, 2024, 09:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls
[close]

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

@moonordie go team V5 x99 headrush!

will cop when you stay on a set of a trucks for more than 30 days  8)

Jaewon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #7351 on: January 15, 2024, 07:29:35 AM »
Expand Quote
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls
[close]

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

Weird take on a forum about gear talk with tons of threads having 100+pages of people asking/sharing their experiences. Someone just doesn't want to blow 40 bucks on something they won't like, aren't as they expected, or just not hyped on. They want different perspectives from people who skate differently. Shocker.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7352 on: January 15, 2024, 10:09:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Couldn't care less what parameters you set for yourself, but you do you. My madness has me out skating 5+ days a week, how about you?

am i gonna have to wax a ledge or rail more than i do when skating f4s tho

No

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:20:21 AM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7353 on: January 15, 2024, 11:30:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Couldn't care less what parameters you set for yourself, but you do you. My madness has me out skating 5+ days a week, how about you?

Expand Quote
[close]

No

Damn dude, I was just a fuckin around. Bro got so worked up because I asked about some wheels in the wheels thread.

To answer your questions. 3-4 times a week probably, doin more than just slappies too. You tryna turn this into a who skates harder competition?

And I know how you feel about these already from your 1000 posts, so I wasn't asking you about waxing obstacles, whens the last time you did a pinched grind on a metal round bar?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #7354 on: January 15, 2024, 02:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

Damn dude, I was just a fuckin around. Bro got so worked up because I asked about some wheels in the wheels thread.

To answer your questions. 3-4 times a week probably, doin more than just slappies too. You tryna turn this into a who skates harder competition?

And I know how you feel about these already from your 1000 posts, so I wasn't asking you about waxing obstacles, whens the last time you did a pinched grind on a metal round bar?
I’m jealous of both of you. Wish I had those numbers.  I can’t skate much more than once or twice a week due to body pain and family life. Shit even hurts just pushing around for a while :(

Get it while it’s good though 8)
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7355 on: January 15, 2024, 03:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

Today, actually, it's skinny and rusty as fuck (like tetanus rusty), also pretty low (it's the wheelchair safety rail I guess for the ramp, get's cut off on the left).

If you are regular skating rails with smooth terrain and have no need for something to eat up rough terrain, these are not what you are looking for...it's been said countless times, these are not the second coming of christ in wheel form; unless you are skating shitty surfaces just stick to our beloved spit 99s/101s. To that end, FWIW, I regularly switch between x97s (one specific spot), x99s most everything, spit 99s (two spots that I don't need what x-formula does).

For someone that says they're fucking around, you sure can't recognize it when it's directed at you huh? But for real, 6 months and you haven't dipped on them? What's the hold up? Cash flow? If so, I will welfare you a fucking used set if of either 93 drags (I'll never skate them again), x97s (prefer the x99s) or x99s (v1s slip out of front krooks on me) if you are stateside. DM me you kook.

Good for you getting out there other than slappies (noice try/bad assumption), everyone should be.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 04:28:26 PM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #7356 on: January 15, 2024, 04:09:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

[close]

Today, actually, it's skinny and rusty as fuck (like tetanus rusty), also pretty low (it's the wheelchair safety rail I guess for the ramp, get's cut off on the left).

For someone that says they're fucking around, you sure can't recognize it when it's directed at you huh? But for real, 6 months and you haven't dipped on them? What's the hold up? Cash flow? If so, I will send you a fucking used set if of either 93 drags (I'll never skate them again), x97s (prefer the x99s) or x99s (v1s slip out of front krooks on me) if you are stateside. DM me you kook.

Good for you getting out there other than slappies, everyone should be.

Zen do you live in Austin?
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7357 on: January 15, 2024, 04:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

[close]

For someone that says they're fucking around, you sure can't recognize it when it's directed at you huh? But for real, 6 months and you haven't dipped on them? What's the hold up? Cash flow? If so, I will send you a fucking used set if of either 93 drags (I'll never skate them again), x97s (prefer the x99s) or x99s (v1s slip out of front krooks on me) if you are stateside. DM me you kook.

[close]

I wish I was still living there ,in LA now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 04:47:14 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7358 on: January 15, 2024, 07:13:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

[close]

If you are regular skating rails with smooth terrain and have no need for something to eat up rough terrain, these are not what you are looking for...it's been said countless times, these are not the second coming of christ in wheel form; unless you are skating shitty surfaces just stick to our beloved spit 99s/101s. To that end, FWIW, I regularly switch between x97s (one specific spot), x99s most everything, spit 99s (two spots that I don't need what x-formula does).

For someone that says they're fucking around, you sure can't recognize it when it's directed at you huh? But for real, 6 months and you haven't dipped on them? What's the hold up? Cash flow? If so, I will welfare you a fucking used set if of either 93 drags (I'll never skate them again), x97s (prefer the x99s) or x99s (v1s slip out of front krooks on me) if you are stateside. DM me you kook.

Good for you getting out there other than slappies (noice try/bad assumption), everyone should be.

Damnnnnn whats up with the roid rage, why are you this mad lol. Also no need to accuse/shame somebody probably a decade or two younger than you for being poor in this economy lol sheesh

Though we can compare w2s if you really want, might as well do education, skateboarding skill, dick length/girth/possible curvature etc etc while we're at it, just lmk bro

I just dont wanna buy something and not skate it to the bone like I do with all my gear, tryna have less stuff and not ditch lightly used gear into a massive closet of shit

Im not like you in that I dont like to get new gear, proclaim it to be the best, then turn around and ride something different in the next week. Just curious about multitude of long-term reviews from a range of people, half the fun of reading reviews is just curiosity about how others feel about things. I'll watch/read reviews on stuff I've skated all the time. Asking about wheels in the wheel thread is not a crime lmao
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:23:13 PM by tzhangdox »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7359 on: January 15, 2024, 08:52:16 PM »
Man and I thought Lebowski was easy to troll...nice blog post. TL;DR

Wheel offer rescinded (I was dead serious, all on my dime).

I've been almost religiously touting x99s since I stepped on them my dude, even over x97s; They're amazing and you're missing out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 09:02:29 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7360 on: January 15, 2024, 09:07:54 PM »
When ur definition of trolling is calling somebody poor, a kook, posting a pic of a spot u "skated" as proof you can grind a round rail, then offering to flow them product  ;D

maybe i am missing out, perhaps ill find out one of these days myself when the madness takes over

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7361 on: January 16, 2024, 01:59:34 AM »
To keep it short ime if you skate plazas F4 99 are the best, if you skate normal streets X99 is the way too go. If you want only to choose one I'd go probably with X99 since they seem to be gentle with your body in the case you're in "that age"range.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #7362 on: January 16, 2024, 06:41:37 PM »
V6 is a pretty cool shape. Reminds me of a Spitfire Radial.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7363 on: January 16, 2024, 08:59:28 PM »
Longtime STF rider here. I like em because they feel the fastest, have a very consistent breaking point to powerslide/blunt slide/bark and they last a long time.

When the 101 F4 came out I went through about 5 sets but switched back to Bones. The F4 is a good wheel but felt slower, wore down quickly and broke loose too quickly for my taste. I never tried the F4 99 for fear of them feeling even slower.

Should I try the x99? Will they feel like slow mush compared to the STF? I’m not too concerned with how they slide on ledges as I can just push harder or be sure to use wax.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7364 on: January 16, 2024, 10:55:07 PM »
V6 is a pretty cool shape. Reminds me of a Spitfire Radial.

I love my V6 Dragons. Not too chunky even for techier stuff. I think they're more coned shaped than radials but quite similar.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #7365 on: January 17, 2024, 08:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, I was gonna try and get the pin for that spot lol
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7366 on: January 17, 2024, 06:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

No
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, I was gonna try and get the pin for that spot lol

It's not the 'best' spot out here, BUT, it's super low key/out of site as it's tucked away and I've not seen anyone here, ever; it's also super lit at night (the above shot was 10pm), big ass flat area with decent ground, can go either x99 or 99a spits. There's also a bank to wall right out front that's hard to hit with a dumb outcropped ledge around head height.

Started working the ledge with a brick and working the rust off that rail (that yes I skate), it's just super low from the 'ramp' side; working on front smiths from the flat side - it's super thin not some classy round rail at your local so it's tricky to skate.

More shit from that same lot:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:46:53 PM by Xen »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #7367 on: January 18, 2024, 10:25:26 AM »
AG formula sml wheels need more love - just a tad softer than 99f4s with a slightly more controlled slide - perfect wheel to go between the older parks in my zone and black top parking lots and school yards i find myself in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7368 on: January 18, 2024, 10:43:23 AM »

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #7369 on: January 18, 2024, 11:22:14 AM »
Anyone ever give these a try?

https://www.tactics.com/portland-wheel-company/the-shelter-seekers-skateboard-wheels/white-985a

aren't they creative or one of the other wheel makers? maybe i'm remembering wrong though. that being said i've not tried any creative wheel below 99

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #7370 on: January 18, 2024, 11:27:25 AM »
Anyone ever give these a try?

https://www.tactics.com/portland-wheel-company/the-shelter-seekers-skateboard-wheels/white-985a

Yeah, I know the dudes who do those wheels. And while I'd love to support them.... well... you know the rest....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7371 on: January 18, 2024, 12:27:59 PM »

Yeah, I know the dudes who do those wheels. And while I'd love to support them.... well... you know the rest....

Too bad, shape is nice and that 98.5 might work really well for some folks.

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #7372 on: January 23, 2024, 02:37:33 AM »
Just to add to the already abundant X97/99 discussion and reviews: I've been on my X99's for a while now at my local wintertime indoor park (no outdoor skating over here at the moment), and as I've mentioned here repeatedly, I've grown to like them a whole lot.

Yesterday I switched back to my old indoor wheels of choice from last winter, the OJ Elite Hardline 99s. They're a "normal" hard wheel but imo not as slippery as e.g. F4 on dusty plywood. And they're fast. Really liked them as an all-around wheel in the past.

Anyway, yesterday, after a good while, I liked the initial fast feel of the OJs. They might be a tad faster than the X99 and have that good old hard gnar feel to them plus they bark and are louder. But pretty soon I realized that the hardness of the wheel made my feet sore quicker than the X99. In a nutshell, the rebound of the X-Formula (which some people dislike) really seems to work wonders for old feet (I'm 40+). The difference was notable.

Kinda torn here -- the OJ Elite 99s felt gnarly, but my feet definitely like the X99 more. I actually kinda feel that I just might be willing to give up a tiny bit of speed for the comfort factor of the X99s.

The interesting/challenging aspect of all this is that the more I skate the X99s, the harder it's gonna be to switch back to "normal" hard wheels.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:06:19 AM by rikki »

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 61
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #7373 on: January 23, 2024, 07:09:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Got a couple sets of the Vu Skateshop x Bones x99 to try out.  Currently skating a Spitfire F4 Classic 53, so hopefully it won't be too drastic...

What is everone's opinion on the Bones x99?

Link for those interested
https://vuskateboardshop.com/collections/skateboard-wheels/products/bones-x-vu-x99-collab-wheels-53mm?variant=43640565039271
[close]

Tried out the x99 wheels today, mind you my local park is over 20 years old and the concrete has seen better days. 

Speed:  At my local the x99 felt faster than F499 classic
Slide: Wheel was definitely grippier sliding, but i think will be easy to control, no as “icy” feeling as F499 classic
Grip: Having skated both F499 classic & conical full, the x99 feel like a classic and conical full had a love child… it has the grip & confidence of a conical full with the agility of a classic
Placebo???: As an older skater (46), I felt the wheels definitely took the “shock” out of landing tricks, and my feet definitely thanked me after todays session… not sure if it was the new insoles or wheels, but was a great session today!

Been skating my small indoor basement "park" a lot with the X99s since it has been so cold out, and I feel the breakaway point during slides & reverts has been very inconsistent and now feeling very icy & slick compared to F499...  Concrete is very smooth and ramps are covered in Gator Skin... I had to swap back to F499 this past weekend and reverts felt much more controlled...

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7374 on: January 23, 2024, 03:27:42 PM »
I have a set of pretty much new conical fulls that I’m fixin’ to sand down into a set of lock-ins.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7375 on: January 23, 2024, 08:34:11 PM »
The interesting/challenging aspect of all this is that the more I skate the X99s, the harder it's gonna be to switch back to "normal" hard wheels.

Ramble ahead...

Been on x99s for a while now (jumped back on 99a spits a couple of sessions then back to x99), no park, just street; this past week I've been on STF 103a V3s aaaaaand, the speed and slide is sooo good, so predictable, pinch grinds are so much less effort, less sticky and bluntslides are on point...yes it's a bit chattery and my legs/knees do feel it but I think I'd rather perform better for a short time than skate longer with less-optimal performance AT spots that don't need the x99s, or 99a spits (which for me are a distant 3rd now (stf/f4 tie > x99 > 99a spits > x97s).

Went back to 99a spits and couldn't do it they just felt sluggish (these were old tablets...same feel with my old conicals), switched right back to 103s on the spot. Now obviously any 99a is going to feel slower/less slick, but I'm def spoiled by the liveliness of the x99s compared to any 99a...x97s just feel like cruiser wheels now. I have a recent drop/'set of 99a lock-ins that i skated a few times that are VERY white and felt way, way harder than the other two sets of [old] 99a spits...do 99a spits just drop off at some point that I don't remember?

Going to go back to 101s - maybe spit classics or conicals since finding real stfs not x-form, is proving very difficult, and my stfs are all below 50mm now...but I honestly don't remember how 101a f4s feel (compared to STFs) the last time I rode 101 spits was my last set of radial slims...so well over a year.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7376 on: January 24, 2024, 08:13:43 PM »
Curious about the OJ Elite 101s. I really like the Ricta Natural 101a. Feel like the OJs should be similar?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7377 on: January 24, 2024, 08:39:55 PM »
Curious about the OJ Elite 101s. I really like the Ricta Natural 101a. Feel like the OJs should be similar?

OJ Elites 99 or 101 are griiiiiiiiiipy, much more than Ricta but have a similar feel to the urethane (not surprisingly). Much prefer OJ 101 Elites to SPF, they just about as fast but are not glassy/don't break free at random.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #7378 on: January 24, 2024, 08:44:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

OJ Elites 99 or 101 are griiiiiiiiiipy, much more than Ricta but have a similar feel to the urethane (not surprisingly). Much prefer OJ 101 Elites to SPF, they just about as fast but are not glassy/don't break free at random.

break free at random….that scares me just reading it. i am so shit at skating, and the thought of just sliding out, accidentally, as i gingerly try and cruise around the bottom third of a bowl i have no gd business being in….instant rip

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7379 on: January 25, 2024, 12:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

break free at random….that scares me just reading it. i am so shit at skating, and the thought of just sliding out, accidentally, as i gingerly try and cruise around the bottom third of a bowl i have no gd business being in….instant rip

They’re dangerously fast wheels. I’m shit at bowls above the lip but I can grind/carve lines for days at full speed and after many spills with 55+ spfs the 101 oj elites saved my life more than a few times I’m sure of it…I’m not good enough to control the slip on stfs.