Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67355 times)

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2016, 09:39:54 AM »
always will be a special place in my heart for my green & white patriots....RIP fallen

good come sausage

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Corporate shoe brands didn't do this. We as consumers didn't do this. Stop with the Fuck Nike, support skater owned blah blah.
[close]

Please explain to the rest of us what economic forces put Fallen out of business if it wasn't for the lack of sales coming from individuals that weren't supporting skater owned brands and were instead supporting corporate shoe brands, like Nike.

Everything's black and white to you huh? The blame is on Fallen. If you make irrelevant garbage, market to a specific rail guy/juggalo/my first skate shoe market and fail to adapt, it sure as fuck isn't my fault for buying these Adidas over a tiedye pair of Brian Hansen's.

I'll wear whatever I want, but if you want to blame an individual group, rather than the consumer, shift that to the pros who skate for these companies. Without their support they'd be gone by now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:46:53 AM by Level 60 Dwarf Paladin »
you never know about pre-cum 

jimi420

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
I think where Fallen failed was by not having their  equivalent of the Osiris Skyrise/Clone (those hideous hightops that every mall kid has). It was admirable that he stuck to his guns but you gotta have your crossover shoe. I can't tell you how many times I wanted a pair of Fallens but couldn't find a good looking shoe.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
I wonder if it gets awkward in the Zero van when Boserio laces up a new pair of Nikes?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's sad as fuck to see them going out. I've seen ride the sky too much times!
That being said my pair of fallen fortes were one of the worst shoes I ever had. Cardboard layer, insole made of something close to styrofoam. Sole just vanished in days... And I'm not even hard on shoes!

When Jack Curtin got on the Team I saw the light on the end of the tunnel for fallen, best shoe they releases in years but that didnt lasted long.
And then this new revamp they tried to do with the brand was pretty bland too. All the new shoes didnt bring something new to the table. Just rehashed designs, copies of what other companies already did... And that burman shoe, seriously.
It's sad to see them go but I'm no surprised this happened honestly.
[close]

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor.. � and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side �:-X

so what "core" brands are left?� filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?
[close]

The three Sole Tech brands, eS, etnies, and emerica, are skater owned.

Both Huf and Lakai are now partially owned by Altamont Capital. I think this is important to note because these brands are NOT skater owned anymore, straight up. A lot of people are blissfully ignorant about this, but a bunch of suits now own part of these companies and decisions are no longer fully in the hands of skateboarders.
DC is owned by Quiksilver.
DVS is owned by Sequential Brands Group.
I don't know about Osiris, Circa, or Filament. I would guess that Osiris is not based on their products, but who knows.
I think Vox might be skater owned, but I don't know and I've never seen a pair in person.
I think there are a lot more skater owned shoes companies outside of the US, but they're more regional.

To me, Vans is a strange exception. They're not skater owned and never have been, but they have been with skating since its inception pretty much, and I think the major difference is that skaters brought vans into the culture, whereas other companies bought their way in. They're a staple at this point and have supported skating throughout all of it's ups and downs.

[close]

DC started as a 100% skate company. Didn't buy into skating.
don't try to act like it didn't.
Obviously Vans is in there. Didn't start out as a skate shoe.. but they have been involved since way back.. So its not a strange exception.
DVS started as skate...
Huf, Lakai... skate as well...100%

In my opinion.. for whatever reasons companies have to sell all or portions of their company to keep moving or progress, thats all gravy... but when a company comes in and dupes the entire industry.. all the way down to skate shops... thats a problem.
Watch what happens in the next couple years... It won't be good...

I wasn't saying those companies didn't start out run by skaters, I think we all know they did, but they're not run by skaters now, and that's what matters at this point. I'm not comparing them to Nike, Nike is fucked, but they're also not skater-owned anymore, unfortunately.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
Wonder if Jamie got an offer by a shoe brand and the money makes it more wrth while for him to kill Fallen and just get a paycheck for himself. Trying to think of who it would be is kinda hard though, would Sole Tech want him back on any of their brands? I would guess Etnies don't see him fitting on ES or Emerica. DC could sorta make sense? Supra has been known to put random dudes on. I could see Cons and Nike kinda wanting him but idk if he's gonna go the big corporate shoe route.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -289
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »
Wonder if Jamie got an offer by a shoe brand and the money makes it more wrth while for him to kill Fallen and just get a paycheck for himself. Trying to think of who it would be is kinda hard though, would Sole Tech want him back on any of their brands? I would guess Etnies don't see him fitting on ES or Emerica. DC could sorta make sense? Supra has been known to put random dudes on. I could see Cons and Nike kinda wanting him but idk if he's gonna go the big corporate shoe route.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure he's not getting any new shoe sponsors.

Mcfctid

« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Corporate shoe brands didn't do this. We as consumers didn't do this. Stop with the Fuck Nike, support skater owned blah blah.
[close]

Please explain to the rest of us what economic forces put Fallen out of business if it wasn't for the lack of sales coming from individuals that weren't supporting skater owned brands and were instead supporting corporate shoe brands, like Nike.
[close]

Everything's black and white to you huh? The blame is on Fallen. If you make irrelevant garbage, market to a specific rail guy/juggalo/my first skate shoe market and fail to adapt, it sure as fuck isn't my fault for buying these Adidas over a tiedye pair of Brian Hansen's.

I'll wear whatever I want, but if you want to blame an individual group, rather than the consumer, shift that to the pros who skate for these companies. Without their support they'd be gone by now.

I glanced at fallens collection and it seriously Felt like each shoe looked like the one before it, just a different logo placement,  or different materials.  That being said from a business standpoint, why produce multiple shoes when they essentially all look the same,  why not lower inventory cost and have fewer designs but at higher quality? Also I agree their colorways were terrible.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »
Fallen used to be good, but like pretty much any other skater founded or skater owned shoe company now, they're putting out shoes with no support and ugly designs. There may be a few specific models that are good but the rest are shit.

Most of what I see from sport shoe companies look like running shoes and it's hilarious to me how skaters keep backing their jock looking shit.

Vans is all I have left to wear at this point. Sure, they're owned by VF Corp but it hasn't changed a thing for the riders except maybe a bigger paycheck. Steve Van Doren is involved in nearly every event they throw and the family still cares and gives back to skateboarding. Since skateboarders brought them in it's always been about skateboarding, pure and simple. They're not entirely in it for the money like sports companies. Still a core brand through and through. Period.

Look At Them Bounce

« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2016, 11:51:59 AM »
I had a pair when fallen started but never got to skate in them since they were a couple sizes too big.

But I have used them to bust nuts into when I'm too lazy to go to the bathroom. Still holding up well years later, laces haven't broke either.

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
i had a streak where i was wearing nothing but the 76's. I liked supporting asta, they had a nice profile imo, and i thought the lrg collab was pretty tight. i still have a brand new pair of the lrg/76s in a box actually (for sale- 1 brazillion doll hairs)

I liked that minimalistic appraoach for a minute, but they did eventaully end up bothering my feet. theres just not much to them and difference in quality b/n the corporate brands was obvious. Ive been waering the buz vulc pretty religioulsy since then and dont see that changing anytime soon

GL JT!

thebacker

« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
The main downfall with fallen was that they kept making irrelevant products with shit quality. You cant expect people to buy the same shoe if the quality is terrible. Nike, nb, and addidas (while they are corps) make products worth wearing  and make shoes that all keep up with trends. If you cant keep up with what people want then how can you expect to stay afloat especially in this day and age.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »

Obviously Vans is in there. Didn't start out as a skate shoe.. but they have been involved since way back.. So its not a strange exception.
DVS started as skate...

In my opinion.. for whatever reasons companies have to sell all or portions of their company to keep moving or progress, thats all gravy... but when a company comes in and dupes the entire industry.. all the way down to skate shops... thats a problem.

Yeah, Kakis you're missing a fundamental point about the insurgence of corporations into skateboarding. It doesn't matter if they started as skater owned, now they are owned by corporations with aggressive sales forecasts the authority to make decisions for the company. They aren't skater owned anymore and that's what matters.

McDonald's started as a small hamburger shop. Walmart started as Walton's, a tiny store. Now they're fuckin evil.

DC is not skater owned and is a corporate company. I think DC is fine though. So are the other companies owned by AC. But they all have "darkmen" to quote Jerry.

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote

DVS started as skate...

[close]

Yeah, Kakis you're missing a fundamental point about the insurgence of corporations into skateboarding. It doesn't matter if they started as skater owned, now they are owned by corporations with aggressive sales forecasts the authority to make decisions for the company. They aren't skater owned anymore and that's what matters.

McDonald's started as a small hamburger shop. Walmart started as Walton's, a tiny store. Now they're fuckin evil.

DC is not skater owned and is a corporate company. I think DC is fine though. So are the other companies owned by AC. But they all have "darkmen" to quote Jerry.

Point taken, but I think people are not completely understanding the Altamont finance situation. They provide working capital and have two seats on the crailtap board. They do not own crailtap. They are an investor, as I understand that. So it pretty disingenuous to say that these brands are not skater owned. Mike, Rick, Meg etc still own the companies, but now someone else also has a stake. And Rick and Mike could kick them out if they want to.

This is not the same as Nike, which is a publicly traded corportation. The skaters cannot kick out the corporate people. It's a different situation.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DVS started as skate...

[close]

[close]

Point taken, but I think people are not completely understanding the Altamont finance situation. They provide working capital and have two seats on the crailtap board. They do not own crailtap. They are an investor, as I understand that. So it pretty disingenuous to say that these brands are not skater owned. Mike, Rick, Meg etc still own the companies, but now someone else also has a stake. And Rick and Mike could kick them out if they want to.

This is not the same as Nike, which is a publicly traded corportation. The skaters cannot kick out the corporate people. It's a different situation.

No, it's not the same as a publicly traded company.  BUT, as you said, Altamont IS providing the working capital.  And the fact is that Crail needed to have some sort of outside cash influx, as things were not working the way they needed them to, from a financial standpoint.  So, being that they are providing the working income, I have to think that they have a little bit of a heavier influence with regards to the business decisions being made.  It's not like they are in the business of giving people money to keep running their fledgling companies without changing anything.  Yes, Rick, Mike and Meg are still on the board, but their influence isn't what it used to be in decision making. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DVS started as skate...

[close]

[close]

[close]

No, it's not the same as a publicly traded company.  BUT, as you said, Altamont IS providing the working capital.  And the fact is that Crail needed to have some sort of outside cash influx, as things were not working the way they needed them to, from a financial standpoint.  So, being that they are providing the working income, I have to think that they have a little bit of a heavier influence with regards to the business decisions being made.  It's not like they are in the business of giving people money to keep running their fledgling companies without changing anything.  Yes, Rick, Mike and Meg are still on the board, but their influence isn't what it used to be in decision making. 

This is called moving the ball. You said "They aren't skater owned anymore and that's what matters." This is blatantly false. Yes, taking on private equity can result in spreading of authority, but the company is still owned, primarily, not by altamont capital. This is not only very different  from Nike but different than, say, when Workshop was bought by Burton. Does crailtap have some outside influence, sure. But it just strikes me as financially untrue to say they are not skater owned or that Rick/Mike/Meg are subservient to the "darkmen."

Given the state of skateboarding, it strikes me that they probably needed more money to be competitive and some rearranging for supply chain cohesion, and so forth. It's not very weird from a business perspective. And again, it's qualitatively different than Nike. Alex Olson, Koston, and P-Rod cannot kick Nike out if they dont like how things are being run.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 63
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That being said my pair of fallen fortes were one of the worst shoes I ever had. Cardboard layer, insole made of something close to styrofoam. Sole just vanished in days... And I'm not even hard on shoes!

When Jack Curtin got on the Team I saw the light on the end of the tunnel for fallen, best shoe they releases in years but that didnt lasted long.
And then this new revamp they tried to do with the brand was pretty bland too. All the new shoes didnt bring something new to the table. Just rehashed designs, copies of what other companies already did... And that burman shoe, seriously.
[close]

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor..   and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side  :-X

so what "core" brands are left?  filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?
[close]

Both Huf and Lakai are now partially owned by Altamont Capital. I think this is important to note because these brands are NOT skater owned anymore, straight up. A lot of people are blissfully ignorant about this, but a bunch of suits now own part of these companies and decisions are no longer fully in the hands of skateboarders.
I don't know about Osiris, Circa, or Filament. I would guess that Osiris is not based on their products, but who knows.
I think Vox might be skater owned, but I don't know and I've never seen a pair in person.
I think there are a lot more skater owned shoes companies outside of the US, but they're more regional.

To me, Vans is a strange exception. They're not skater owned and never have been, but they have been with skating since its inception pretty much, and I think the major difference is that skaters brought vans into the culture, whereas other companies bought their way in. They're a staple at this point and have supported skating throughout all of it's ups and downs.

I remember hearing Steve Cab say in the early 90's they (Vans) got away from supporting skateboarding so much and tried to focus more on BMX. If true, then during years when skateboarding is more underground, this might not be as true. Didn't they "come back" mainly because of Lords of Dogtown too?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DVS started as skate...

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is called moving the ball. You said "They aren't skater owned anymore and that's what matters." This is blatantly false. Yes, taking on private equity can result in spreading of authority, but the company is still owned, primarily, not by altamont capital. This is not only very different  from Nike but different than, say, when Workshop was bought by Burton. Does crailtap have some outside influence, sure. But it just strikes me as financially untrue to say they are not skater owned or that Rick/Mike/Meg are subservient to the "darkmen."

Given the state of skateboarding, it strikes me that they probably needed more money to be competitive and some rearranging for supply chain cohesion, and so forth. It's not very weird from a business perspective. And again, it's qualitatively different than Nike. Alex Olson, Koston, and P-Rod cannot kick Nike out if they dont like how things are being run.

Look through the posts.  I wasn't the one who said they weren't skater owned.  I was just talking about Altamonts having influence on business decisions because of their financial contribution.  That's all I was stating.  And as a result, people don't have the same feeling/confidence about the brands as they used to.  I never used the term "darkmen" or anything close to that. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »
Tommy with the #fucknikeSB

http://websta.me/n/tommygunz__69
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Koozin

• Rep: -19
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Tommy of SLS contests. Fuck yes

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
Wonder how Tommy feels about Nick Boserio, his Zero team mate, who is on Nike.  Gonna be an awkward van ride. 

Grind King Rims

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
Wonder how Tommy feels about Nick Boserio, his Zero team mate, who is on Nike.  Gonna be an awkward van ride. 

For all the kids skating in @nikesb supporting outside sources, you are also supporting the fall out of what it means to be a skateboarder. I standby my beliefs when I say fuck big companies and all the outsiders that don't support core skateboarding. This is not a bitter post nor am I jealous of anyone's status, just expressing what has been on my mind lately.

Hmmm, the first time I read it I thought he covered himself well, but there's really no holes barred here, is there?
It's gonna be Tony Hawkward in the van this Summer....

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:51 PM »
I used to not really take a stand on the Nike/Cons/Addidas shit, but as I think about it, and the more I see shoe companies that I grew up loving ending up belly up or struggling, I can't fuck with Nike et al any longer. I'll watch their videos but they won't get any more money from me.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

MonistatOne

« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
do you give them money by watching their videos?

to the anti-Nike dudes- is it just the people who buy them that are fucking things up? and the people who ride for them get a pass? or is it anyone associated with them?

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor..   and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side  :-X

so what "core" brands are left?  filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?
[close]

[close]

I remember hearing Steve Cab say in the early 90's they (Vans) got away from supporting skateboarding so much and tried to focus more on BMX. If true, then during years when skateboarding is more underground, this might not be as true. Didn't they "come back" mainly because of Lords of Dogtown too?

They stepped back from skating in the late 80s/early 90s to make athletic shoes like cleats and basketball sneakers. Their skate line suffered, throughout the 90s they were jumping on trends, making puffy spiderweb looking shoes and had slick, modern logos and colorways. Cardiel, or someone he knows, claims that he influenced them to reintroduce their classic shoes like the authentic and the old skools and all that along with their vintage red skateboard logo. The rest in history or whatever.

I think that's the story.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »

to the anti-Nike dudes- is it just the people who buy them that are fucking things up? and the people who ride for them get a pass? or is it anyone associated with them?
I wouldn't buy their videos.

I think we are getting to a point where people will realize that if they really want to fight Nike, they'll have to not give the people who ride for them a pass. I'm not there yet personally, but I can see it getting to that point.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think we are getting to a point where people will realize that if they really want to fight Nike, they'll have to not give the people who ride for them a pass. I'm not there yet personally, but I can see it getting to that point.

So it's not nike that's destroying skateboarding, it's "core" skaters that want to bully other skaters for using nike, going against their own kind. How stupid does this sound??

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

MonistatOne

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

True. Forgot you could watch their vids w/out buying them haha.

Fuck. 'Mirin honesty and I agree 100%

I (could be wrong) just feel like there's mad people who are like "fuck you if you buy Nike", but then are like "zomg Alex Olson/Daryl Angel/BA/Chet Childress ughh <33" and they sort of contradict themselves

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »
Shoe companies are fucking up so bad. They need to come out with some tech shit that actually competes with lunarlon. I hate seeing skater owned companies going under but most of their shoes are wack as fuck. I haven't bought a pair of lakias in 8 years because their entire catalog has the same shitty vans silhouette. I would have bought at least one pair of staples if they didn't butcher the re issue. That dc shoe they came out with a couple years ago and slapped the name lynx on the box was offensive. Dc needs to drop the og lynx and lynx 2. Those philly cats are spending mad bread on the og ones that are like 15 years old. the demand is there.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch