Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67407 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »
It's sad as fuck to see them going out. I've seen ride the sky too much times!
That being said my pair of fallen fortes were one of the worst shoes I ever had. Cardboard layer, insole made of something close to styrofoam. Sole just vanished in days... And I'm not even hard on shoes!

When Jack Curtin got on the Team I saw the light on the end of the tunnel for fallen, best shoe they releases in years but that didnt lasted long.
And then this new revamp they tried to do with the brand was pretty bland too. All the new shoes didnt bring something new to the table. Just rehashed designs, copies of what other companies already did... And that burman shoe, seriously.
It's sad to see them go but I'm no surprised this happened honestly.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Ham Sandwiches

• Rep: -5
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
I've only ever owned one pair of Fallens (the Trooper), but this sucks to hear.

I had my eye on the Capitols for a while when they were still around, but I never did end up getting them.

Can anyone speak for the D.O.A. or JT's new pro model?
you know you can get laid, see music, socialize, talk shit, and not be a nazi at the same time right?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
fallen were one of the worst shoes I ever had. Cardboard layer, insole made of something close to styrofoam. Sole just vanished in days... And I'm not even hard on shoes! 

This. Really liked the brand but the quality just sucks ass. Couple of friends were flowed by them, i've personally seen homie blew up 3 pairs of fortes,straight outta box, during one session.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:17 AM »
That being said my pair of fallen fortes were one of the worst shoes I ever had. Cardboard layer, insole made of something close to styrofoam. Sole just vanished in days... And I'm not even hard on shoes!

When Jack Curtin got on the Team I saw the light on the end of the tunnel for fallen, best shoe they releases in years but that didnt lasted long.
And then this new revamp they tried to do with the brand was pretty bland too. All the new shoes didnt bring something new to the table. Just rehashed designs, copies of what other companies already did... And that burman shoe, seriously.

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor..   and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side  :-X

so what "core" brands are left? lakai , emerica, huf, etnies, es, dvs, filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2016, 12:54:47 AM »
damn. sucks to hear. fallen was a good brand. ride the sky is one classic video. the team was tight and the direction of the brand was well.
but, as a lot of you guys already said, the quality wasn't that good. had one of chris cole's pro models, the sole went bald so quickly and under the sole there was this rubber grid-pattern that didn't hold up for shit. hole in the sole after a couple of sessions.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2016, 12:57:18 AM »
Can anyone speak for the D.O.A. or JT's new pro model?

skating the "eagle" right now, jts new one. didnt expect to like it as much as i do, snug fit, great grip and boardfeel, and hardly any wear after 4 sessions.

sad to hear this news, but then again fallen simply didnt manage to adapt to a "modern" crowd for some reason.

imagine lakai going under as well and having carroll/howard/JT start something new together... maybe wont last either, but could be awesome.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 01:07:21 AM »
Jamie back to emerica please

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2016, 01:34:20 AM »
Jamie back to emerica please

i could see him back on c1rca
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:24 AM »
Jamie Thomas is a real man and "Welcome to Hell" woudn't even be half as long or quarter as intense if it wasn't for Chief. Even Ed himself said that Jamie was the driving force behind the video. Even though "Jump of a building" is in my Top 5 All timers, you can tell that the bastards got less motivated. Oh, you don't feel like doing this trick? Maybe some tough love a la Micky E will help you... Skateboarders need structure and order. Otherwise Nike will come and push us around and great skaters will waste their talent.

The progression of gnar for two decades, tons of companies, 3 back to back (?) KOTR trophies do not happen with hippie attitude.

Jamie, I salute you for your service!

Give this man a medal!

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:27 AM »
Damn.... sucks to see another shoe brand close it doors. Pretty soon there is only going to be a couple left. Wonder where all the skaters are going to go once that "bully" pulls the plug, because we all know it truly doesnt give a shit.
Riding for the bully is like shopping at Walmart then wondering what happened to all the cool locally owned stores. Then... once the tax breaks for walmart are gone... so is walmart. Whats left??

Real talk. Never dug Fallen and haven't had DC on my feet since '98 but you'll never see a swoosh on me. Ain't mad at riders for getting paid but we all know most of these dudes will be shit on in a matter of no time.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2016, 06:13:36 AM »
can we play a game called guess where the team is gonna go? few people have already had some but lets make it legit!

Jamie - DC with Cole
Sandoval - DC/Nike
Burman - NB/DC
Slash - Cons
Dickson - Cons/Emerica
Cervantes - Globe

sad times for skateboarding to see another company go, hopefully everyone gets hooked up again! such a sick team, its a bummer about the shoes they kept putting out, they did have some sick ones though, Slash's slip ons the easy it hink??, the Roach, Jamies shoe the forte!

bummer for the company
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

djtraceman610

• Rep: 38
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:25 AM »
Pretty bummed on this news. Rocked Fallen Rippers and Trooper Slims until they stopped making them. Randomly caught a sale on amazon a few years ago where Trooper Slim's were $15 a pair and stocked up. the last few pair i have left will be saved.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2016, 06:26:50 AM »
sad news

funny to remember that blackbox "helped" NB# to get into the market  :-\

good luck Isuck

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
This fucking blows.  I've never worn a pair but I thought some of the models were sick.  Recently this seemed inevitable, but really goes to show the direction the industry is going.  It was mentioned above about some big names starting something (Carroll/Howard/JT) but I just don't see that selling today with Nike's popularity.  If Lakai and eS go, we're fucked. 

Yu Dum

« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2016, 07:35:08 AM »
I owned a few pairs growing up. (Mainly the Rival Lo-Fi and that Sandoval mid top that came out years ago)
Anywho, it's a real bummer to see a company that I grew up loving bow out like this. I understand that it's better for him to cut his losses, though.
Much respect to Jamie for everything he's done for skateboarding.

Turbo Taylor

• Rep: -4
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »
If Lakai and eS go, we're fucked. 

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 11
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:02 AM »
can we play a game called guess where the team is gonna go? few people have already had some but lets make it legit!

Jamie - DC with Cole
Sandoval - DC/Nike
Burman - NB/DC
Slash - Cons
Dickson - Cons/Emerica
Cervantes - Globe

sad times for skateboarding to see another company go, hopefully everyone gets hooked up again! such a sick team, its a bummer about the shoes they kept putting out, they did have some sick ones though, Slash's slip ons the easy it hink??, the Roach, Jamies shoe the forte

bummer for the company

Tommy and Dane are the only dudes I think will be able to get on a new company relatively quick, the rest of the dudes have no marketing value,besides maybe Slash but he had his time.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »
eS will do just fine. Definitely doing well on the PR and brand engagement front. They're also not doing too shabby picking up teamriders.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor..   and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side  :-X

so what "core" brands are left?  filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?

The three Sole Tech brands, eS, etnies, and emerica, are skater owned.

Both Huf and Lakai are now partially owned by Altamont Capital. I think this is important to note because these brands are NOT skater owned anymore, straight up. A lot of people are blissfully ignorant about this, but a bunch of suits now own part of these companies and decisions are no longer fully in the hands of skateboarders.
DC is owned by Quiksilver.
DVS is owned by Sequential Brands Group.
I don't know about Osiris, Circa, or Filament. I would guess that Osiris is not based on their products, but who knows.
I think Vox might be skater owned, but I don't know and I've never seen a pair in person.
I think there are a lot more skater owned shoes companies outside of the US, but they're more regional.

To me, Vans is a strange exception. They're not skater owned and never have been, but they have been with skating since its inception pretty much, and I think the major difference is that skaters brought vans into the culture, whereas other companies bought their way in. They're a staple at this point and have supported skating throughout all of it's ups and downs.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BrunsdOut17

• Rep: 1
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
never had a pair but sucks to see them go. thanks nike.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »
eS will do just fine. Definitely doing well on the PR and brand engagement front. They're also not doing too shabby after dropping their entire team for a faux hiatus

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:38:06 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »
Vans is owned by Vanity Fair...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
Corporate shoe brands didn't do this. We as consumers didn't do this. Stop with the Fuck Nike, support skater owned blah blah.

Expand Quote
eS will do just fine. Definitely doing well on the PR and brand engagement front. They're also not doing too shabby after dropping their entire team for a faux hiatus
[close]

EXACTLY. Way to support skateboarding...
you never know about pre-cum 

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »
The vegan chiefs and the suede Chiefs were fantastic....in 2006.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Jamie be near your phone. Nike scooped up Sinclair when Dekline shut down, you could be next to get a piece of the pie
p-shuvs and v-flips

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
All of these "I never bought a pair/bought one pair 10 years ago, but I'm bummer they're done and it's all Nike's fault" comments are hilarious. 

On the upside, JT can concentrate all his energy on Zero now. They still have some great pros. And young guys like JS Lapierre, Chris Wimer and John Herrera that deserve some shine. 

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
To me, Vans is a strange exception. They're not skater owned and never have been, but they have been with skating since its inception pretty much, and I think the major difference is that skaters brought vans into the culture, whereas other companies bought their way in. They're a staple at this point and have supported skating throughout all of it's ups and downs.

Dam, that was dead on! I have always wondered how to put that into words.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:53:32 AM by MintySandwhich »

Fukd

• Rep: -45
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »
Corporate shoe brands didn't do this. We as consumers didn't do this. Stop with the Fuck Nike, support skater owned blah blah.

Please explain to the rest of us what economic forces put Fallen out of business if it wasn't for the lack of sales coming from individuals that weren't supporting skater owned brands and were instead supporting corporate shoe brands, like Nike.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i think they were killing it when the show market was dominated by minimal designs and vulcanized shoes but now shoes are being heavily marketed with technology as a key factor.. � and yeah that Dane Burman pro shoe says a lot about their creative side �:-X

so what "core" brands are left?� filament, osiris, circa also DC and Vans.. any thing else i left out?
[close]

The three Sole Tech brands, eS, etnies, and emerica, are skater owned.

Both Huf and Lakai are now partially owned by Altamont Capital. I think this is important to note because these brands are NOT skater owned anymore, straight up. A lot of people are blissfully ignorant about this, but a bunch of suits now own part of these companies and decisions are no longer fully in the hands of skateboarders.
DC is owned by Quiksilver.
DVS is owned by Sequential Brands Group.
I don't know about Osiris, Circa, or Filament. I would guess that Osiris is not based on their products, but who knows.
I think Vox might be skater owned, but I don't know and I've never seen a pair in person.
I think there are a lot more skater owned shoes companies outside of the US, but they're more regional.

DC started as a 100% skate company. Didn't buy into skating.
don't try to act like it didn't.
Obviously Vans is in there. Didn't start out as a skate shoe.. but they have been involved since way back.. So its not a strange exception.
DVS started as skate...
Huf, Lakai... skate as well...100%

In my opinion.. for whatever reasons companies have to sell all or portions of their company to keep moving or progress, thats all gravy... but when a company comes in and dupes the entire industry.. all the way down to skate shops... thats a problem.
Watch what happens in the next couple years... It won't be good...