Author Topic: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover  (Read 24131 times)

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Re: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2022, 07:21:48 AM »
I’ve been chatting with TJ since mid 2018, he responded to one of my DM’s and then I almost took a job doing graphic design for hardies with him.

But since then he’s always responded to questions I’ve asked , reposted photos I’ve tagged him in and likes all the comments in our DMs. I feel like not too many pros would be that engaging with their fans .

He truly is one of , if not my favorite people in the industry .  his presence is as good as it gets for skateboarding imo and it really does seem like the hate/criticism here is based in racist tendencies / thoughts which is really sad.

bohemian

• Rep: -319
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2022, 07:39:21 AM »
gotta be the shortest shorts on a cover.  Is Tyshawn making athletic gear acceptable?

hey thats racist! apparently.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curious how are any of the criticisms of tyshawn racist? Is the implication around his level of pop having something to do with the racist stereotype of black men being able to jump high? Or is the thought people are holding him to a different standard because he’s black?
[close]
After you commented this someone mentioned in another thread that he isn’t classy because he wears a durag. Not a single black person would ever say that. That’s clearly racially motivated hating.
[close]
But why do people want him to be classy?

“Classy” = act more white
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2022, 08:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
gotta be the shortest shorts on a cover.  Is Tyshawn making athletic gear acceptable?
[close]

you know it’s not you fucking idiot

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2022, 09:02:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought clothing choices were a slap favourite.......cant see the connection to racism.  Anyway I'm sure some knowledgeable user will be along soon to comment on the history of shorts on Thrasher covers

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2022, 09:07:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
^
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

quackquack

• Rep: -415
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2022, 09:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Agreed.
They both need more rats tho.
[close]

I am actually generally surprised there is no graffiti or even a sticker anywhere in sight. I don't frequent New York that often but I always think it looks like how it was back in the days when the graffiti culture was big. But I think that is what is really cool about this photo. It just screams New York like some Martha Cooper photo from Subway Art book. You literally can't duplicate this anywhere else but there.

They're just keeping it classy here folks.

Looks like he's going to the side of it though... ;)
Oh, the places you'll go.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »
Maybe hung out with Puig for a bit and got inspired. Can't think off top of my head but hosoi prob had a cover in spandex undies.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »
My only criticism is the sponsors.

I feel like he's being misrepresented as one of the jerks because I've heard he's a sweetheart

In a perfect world he would be on like some true east shit.

I'm not hating nor am I trying to exclude westerners.

I'm just thinking about what I'd like better as an art statement.

Ventures
Orchard
New York based board bland
Hardies
Dial tone
Checkpoints on the toes

Ummmmm
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

smellymoron69

• Rep: -16
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote
totally wild!

for someone who has never been and probably never will get the chance - any locals/people familiar able to give a reasonable estimate on how wide the gap actually is?
[close]

one nyc train cart is 8ft and 9inches wide so this shits close to 18ft long. that’s really insane to think about.

It just fits one train car right? That shit is nowhere near 18 feet. Looks like ~10.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curious how are any of the criticisms of tyshawn racist? Is the implication around his level of pop having something to do with the racist stereotype of black men being able to jump high? Or is the thought people are holding him to a different standard because he’s black?
[close]
After you commented this someone mentioned in another thread that he isn’t classy because he wears a durag. Not a single black person would ever say that. That’s clearly racially motivated hating.
[close]
But why do people want him to be classy?
the same people saying this are the same people that absolutely despise blondey. the mental gymnastics are so impressive that it may deserve a gold medal

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2022, 11:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like it all bright. It’s different than how Allen Ying shot that ollie photo. This one pops better to my eye.
[close]
That's true. They are just different photos from different times. Allen's I think was shot on film hence the slight motion blur. Atiba seems to have shot it with a little wider lens which helps too but the flash now that I can compare the photos definitely adds to the photo. Imagine though if there was a light from the end of the tunnel from a train about to come in. Boy that would be something.

[close]
i'll give ying's photo the edge because of how well he centered koki in the middle of the tracks. i know that's not possible with a photo of a kickflip that tyshawn definitely caught well past the center of the tracks and it doesn't take away from either feat or photo... just personal preference

side note: i bet allen ying is the only person bummed on this
[close]

@Fongstarr.  I think Allen’s photo is natural light. I don’t see any flashes in there. Some light coming down the tunnel would look awesome.

@Ignatius I’m guessing atiba made a conscious choice for a different angle than Allen’s photo.
I’m hoping Allen isn’t bummed. I’ve seen his photo come up a few times now. Kind of gives it another round of life.

Edit to add: I think Allen’s angle is the one- all symmetrical. But that wouldn’t work as a cover. I’m guessing they had cover shot in mind and thus shot it vertical.
[close]
i think it's just necessity: atiba couldn't shoot a symmetrical photo for tyshawn's kickflip because a kickflip would inevitably peak well past the center of the frame. not knocking either of them for that

i mentioned allen being bummed because i seem to remember him getting really defensive in the comments of the quartersnacks post about MNMFTB? some sort of territorialism might have been at play

https://quartersnacks.com/2014/01/the-power-of-marketing/

Does anyone have footage of the MNMFTB ollie? The QS video was down

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
Here it is:

About 2:52 in.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:10:17 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
I mean he has a bit of arrogance to his attitude in interviews, but he can also back it up with his skating and he's pretty young. An insane number of pro athletes that play ball sports also have that kind of attitude. It's probably why they're good. He's just really motivated and driven and not afraid to state his ambitions and drive. He's still only 23, which is pretty damn young in skating these days and basically any time he drops a single clip let alone a part it gets an almost universal positive reaction and backs up his "cockiness". It's not even cockiness- I can't think of the word, but maybe "high confidence". But I respect it because he's not fucking around and is going for it. None of the typical early 20's piling out.

I think that rubs people the wrong way when their preferences in skating are like, contests, stair counting, and figuring out who can do the most flip-in, flip-out shit. When he won SOTY the people I knew that were upset were saying shit like "he only had one part" and "so-and-so did this trick" and aren't the kind of people that really appreciate or understand how hard to skate a lot of the spots he skates are and that sometimes a really dope trick popped high over a trashcan is just way sicker than some Berrics park footy. These are kids that always remind you how core of a skater they are but they grew up on parks and Zumiez and would rather watch a stanky leg flat ground switch tre landed clean than TJ doing one switch down a double set because it's "less clean". I like the roughness. SW Front heel over that rail into the bank in Blessed was just so damn sick. But they won't get it because they never skated around a city with their friends an stopped at random spots and just did the hardest thing they could and moved on. I feel bad for them, that was one of the best parts of skating growing up.

Personally speaking I posted in the past that I don't think he's necessarily this massively successful entrepreneur yet, but the keyword is yet. Hardie's isn't a huge brand, which you can't dispute cuz it's not really sold that many places. Unless he really blows it his board brand will definitely sell. His shoe is probably one of the best selling shoes right now. It's hard to start a board brand and I mostly just don't like Nak, but I doubt TJ is going to let his buddy run the company when he is staying calculated about it becoming a lasting entity. I have no interest in his underwear line, but I'm not gunna fault the dude for just going for it.

I'm not sure if any of those criticisms are racist or not. I don't see them as such. I myself don't necessarily find it interesting when pro athletes have that kind of attitude, but I get why they tend to. It's celebrated in most sports, but since skating isn't based around touchdowns or batting averages it becomes this subjective argument over what's good and bad and who is this or that. I love his footage and rewatch it constantly. Quality over quantity.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 03:02:49 PM by LebowskisRug »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2022, 12:35:35 PM »
Here it is:

he's talking about mnmftb who ollied it first, not the ollie in tengu

I remember seeing the part the clip was in. all super shitty quality 144p flip phone camera's it felt like. early 2000's

matta

• Rep: 26
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2022, 12:41:42 PM »
Tyshawn is a class act and the rawness in his style and approach is his greatest attribute. Its what keeps someone of his skill level apart from the hoard of post-Prod robo juggernauts. When Miles Silvas does a nollie heel it looks the same every time, you know what it's going to look like. Not so with Tyshawn. He's the most exciting skater in the world right now.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »
Anyone seriously trying to dog on TJ for being unapproachable can get fucked. The day after the Can Jam he re-posted like 20 consecutive photos of him posing for photos with random kids and fans. He's a top of his game athlete, SoTY, influencer, super model, face of supreme, King of New York etc. and he hosted a free event where the general public could literally reach out and touch him while he switch flipped over picnic tables. Most dudes this famous don't leave their security bubble much less skate around NYC traffic fucking shit up. TJ is for the people.

Thats the end all be all right there. Fuckin nollie hardflipping noncali tables for the people

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2022, 01:05:53 PM »
skaters of all people complaining about somebody being “arrogant” is really rich, the amount of cool guy arrogant dickheads i’ve interacted with through skateboarding is astonishing

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2022, 01:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Here it is:

[close]

he's talking about mnmftb who ollied it first, not the ollie in tengu

I remember seeing the part the clip was in. all super shitty quality 144p flip phone camera's it felt like. early 2000's

Yeah thank you for the tengu clip, but I meant the dude in the quartersnacks article

That Allen guy sure sounds like a lot of fun. And he didn’t even address the abd aspect in his comment.

quackquack

« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »
Tyshawn is a class act and the rawness in his style and approach is his greatest attribute. Its what keeps someone of his skill level apart from the hoard of post-Prod robo juggernauts. When Miles Silvas does a nollie heel it looks the same every time, you know what it's going to look like. Not so with Tyshawn. He's the most exciting skater in the world right now.

I would like to see more raw footage of him, because I agree. He reminds me of Kareem in that way or dare I say Evan Smith in the "tearing things up in an unfiltered way".

He's gotta be hauling ass in clips too, which I don't think is mentioned that often.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
Controversial take:  Tyshawn is really good.  🤭

dr. radishh

• Rep: 77
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »
MNMFTB
a r i ho l
k i t e l u
e eh  o e
   n    r
   d
   s

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2022, 06:04:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would like to see more raw footage of him, because I agree. He reminds me of Kareem in that way or dare I say Evan Smith in the "tearing things up in an unfiltered way".

He's gotta be hauling ass in clips too, which I don't think is mentioned that often.

Hadn't thought about this before but this is spot on. 

Also this:

Anyone seriously trying to dog on TJ for being unapproachable can get fucked. The day after the Can Jam he re-posted like 20 consecutive photos of him posing for photos with random kids and fans. He's a top of his game athlete, SoTY, influencer, super model, face of supreme, King of New York etc. and he hosted a free event where the general public could literally reach out and touch him while he switch flipped over picnic tables. Most dudes this famous don't leave their security bubble much less skate around NYC traffic fucking shit up. TJ is for the people.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »
When Tyshawn is quiet he's unapproachable and has a bad attitude, but when Heath is a total anti-social weirdo we get entire documentary segments about how "cool and mysterious" he is.

a bunch of fuckin nerds up in here, man.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2022, 06:40:30 PM »
this is the MNMFTB ollie. well, it's at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=j9AXlcN0IxM&feature=c4-feed-u

edit: sorry, always forget how to embed properly. it's ok, you can click the link
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:55:31 PM by Prince »
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
When Tyshawn is quiet he's unapproachable and has a bad attitude, but when Heath is a total anti-social weirdo we get entire documentary segments about how "cool and mysterious" he is.

It’s more than that - there are numerous stories about Heath which make him seem like a borderline sociopath.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

quackquack

« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2022, 08:18:06 PM »

Major nerds, that's for sure.

Might I say though - the person saying x about Tyshawn might not be the person saying y about Heath.

I think Slap can across as contradictory or inconsistent because of the number of differing opinions and it's easy to lump two different people's statements into one global opinion.

I guess I'm asking if you can name a slapper who believes both of those statements? That'd be a good call out and might make for some great TV.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2022, 08:40:56 PM »

Heath seems like a genuine weirdo and his all white fits were super corny. Dude got way too into his own shit. Kinda got the vibe that he was into torturing animals as a kid.

I will gladly watch an enjoy the TJ documentary when it comes out. I watched all his parts in chronological order the other day, which was like the poor man's ON video.  I don't think his attitude is bad. When people ask him about his ambitions of course he's not going to say "Ya so I wanna drop another few parts then slowly coast into a TM or rep position and just contribute the culture" just like a football player wouldn't say "Well I really hope we make it to the semis in the playoffs and suffer a narrow loss and then I'll retire and be a personal trainer or work at Home Depot".  It's cool that he's actually trying to do as much with himself as he can.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2022, 08:58:52 PM »
My only criticism is the sponsors.

I feel like he's being misrepresented as one of the jerks because I've heard he's a sweetheart

In a perfect world he would be on like some true east shit.

I'm not hating nor am I trying to exclude westerners.

I'm just thinking about what I'd like better as an art statement.

Ventures
Orchard
New York based board bland
Hardies
Dial tone
Checkpoints on the toes

Ummmmm
Thinks he's riding his own boards not fa so it's prob ny based. Thunders and ventures are from the same place. Are checkpoints nikes? They're from the west maybe sauconys, cons or NB to be from the east.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
Everyone postulating about a stranger and whether he is mean or nice just gotta appreciate the amazing skateboarding this foo produces