Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309181 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: bikes
« Reply #2520 on: January 12, 2022, 10:24:41 AM »
sick, i've been also looking at a advent group to build up my other fame with. missed a good deal on a second hand, but never used rd a while ago, should have invested in that.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2521 on: January 12, 2022, 10:26:20 AM »
sick, i've been also looking at a advent group to build up my other fame with. missed a good deal on a second hand, but never used rd a while ago, should have invested in that.

Yeah, honestly as this point in the bicycle parts shortage, just be prepared to buy whatever you can get your hands on, when it's available, and assemble everything piecemeal
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2522 on: February 26, 2022, 03:47:52 AM »

Currently having a custom frame made. Thought some people on here might be interested.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #2523 on: February 26, 2022, 05:17:44 AM »
Wow, that’s gorgeous.  ;D Those welds!!
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #2524 on: February 26, 2022, 06:28:48 AM »
Seems like it’s mostly road types over here, but I’ve been doing a bit of trail riding on groomed trails. I’ve been enjoying it, but trail conditions need to be pretty firm. I’m on the fence about more winter specific gear, specifically tires. Currently running 27.5 x 3 and can fit maybe 4”. Studs are making sense, as there’s 6-8 weeks here where the trails are basically no go unless frozen. Bike shizz is just stupid expensive.

The_9

« Reply #2525 on: February 26, 2022, 07:37:01 AM »
Yeah and parts availability is just fucked right now. I’ve had to make some concessions in my build as some of what I wanted wasn’t available till late 23

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2526 on: February 26, 2022, 09:40:18 AM »
Picked this up last weekend. Ibis Ripley AF deore. Lifes been crazy and haven’t had a chance to take it out. By next weekend I should have the frame protector on be ready to die out on the trail. I’m kind of limited to what’s around my house for now, I need a hitch and rack.

Burnerboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2527 on: February 27, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m looking for some qualified opinions about skate shoes with flats. I’ve been commuting with flats - mostly recently knock off Race Face Chesters - for a decade or more, usually in a flat sole shoe. Recently I decided to make the move to flats on my hardtail, but I am not sure if I should just ride with some of my zillion skate shoes or if it’s worth it to buy some Five Ten or other such specific flat-pedal shoe.

Pinkbike dismisses this, insists that freeride shoes are much better, but they’re mostly mountain bikers and not skaters. So has anyone taken their AVEs out on the trail? Better question - after two decades of clipless, am I so accustomed that I should just stick with what I know?
[close]
Get Vans BMX shoes. Stiffer shank without going full MTB fiveten marshmallow shoe with the strap on it.

I do in fact use a pair of AVEs for mountain biking. They get the job done but aren't the best and I've been considering buying some mtb specific shoes. 

The_9

« Reply #2528 on: February 27, 2022, 11:28:48 AM »
Whilst I’m a roadie I’m aware etnies do some mtb shoes that might be worth a look

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2529 on: February 27, 2022, 11:57:49 AM »
I’ve been trying to sell my gravel bike for the last month and nobody’s biting. Is gravel over already? I just don’t see a need for it. I have a road bike. I have a mtb. I have a wider tire cross frame bar bike thing with the skate rack that I’m building.

It’s a comfortable bike, I really like it, but it doesn’t do anything particularly well, so I’m always reaching for the road bike if I’m going out. Part of me doesn’t want to sell it, but it’s just gathering dust in the garage.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2530 on: February 27, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »
I’ve been trying to sell my gravel bike for the last month and nobody’s biting. Is gravel over already? I just don’t see a need for it. I have a road bike. I have a mtb. I have a wider tire cross frame bar bike thing with the skate rack that I’m building.

It’s a comfortable bike, I really like it, but it doesn’t do anything particularly well, so I’m always reaching for the road bike if I’m going out. Part of me doesn’t want to sell it, but it’s just gathering dust in the garage.

Sheeeeeesh I’m in the market! Throw it in the DMs baby!
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #2531 on: February 27, 2022, 05:43:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a road bike and have been wondering about a gravel vs a mtb as a kick around take off road beater bike.. mtb are easier to find used it seems
p-shuvs and v-flips

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2532 on: February 27, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have a road bike and have been wondering about a gravel vs a mtb as a kick around take off road beater bike.. mtb are easier to find used it seems

I am debating turning my 19” hard tail frame into a single speed bmx type bike. I’ve done so in the past but needed some parts for another build so I took it apart. It was a blast on paths with features.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2533 on: February 28, 2022, 07:00:14 AM »
Picked this up last weekend. Ibis Ripley AF deore. Lifes been crazy and haven’t had a chance to take it out. By next weekend I should have the frame protector on be ready to die out on the trail. I’m kind of limited to what’s around my house for now, I need a hitch and rack.

That looks really fun!  nice work. I really like the raw frame.  I am looking for a new mountain bike, will have to check that out. 

Gravel bike wise I went the other way and decided I didn't really want my road bike so I don't know

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2534 on: February 28, 2022, 08:19:05 AM »
That ibis looks like a ton of fun! Been considering replacing '14 kona process 134 but I have too many other hobbies to dump money into and the bike has never given me any trouble so it stays for now.

The_9

« Reply #2535 on: February 28, 2022, 08:22:18 AM »

Totally agree on this. My experience is they leave you wanting as they’re slow everywhere. I did own one but I cracked the frame so it’s gone. Now waiting on a custom steel road bike.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2536 on: February 28, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »
I have an aero road bike, and  gravel bike, and I really enjoy the gravel bike. It's not that slow. I would recommend a gravel for a newer rider. It requires next to no maintenance, flat tires can really be discouraging for newer riders.
I understand what you guys are saying, but where I am, you have to drive to trail areas. I can ride my gravel bike from my house to trails or paths in my area and its fast enough. I only ride 35 c tires so it's not too sluggish.

anybody doing the Paris to Ancaster race in April? (Ontario gravel race) 

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2537 on: February 28, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »
You guys kinda talked me in to keeping the gravel bike. I can have 4 bikes…

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2538 on: March 01, 2022, 05:59:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Totally agree on this. My experience is they leave you wanting as they’re slow everywhere. I did own one but I cracked the frame so it’s gone. Now waiting on a custom steel road bike.

I am out of the bicycle industry now, but it’s my understanding that the “gravel” bike is basically the only “road” style bike anyone is buying these days. I know that many of my friends have dropped out of traditional road cycling after myriad incidents with distracted drivers and the like, but we also happen to live sandwiched between several mountain ranges where one could ride a gravel bike for hours on forest roads without encountering anything but a mountain lion. 

The_9

« Reply #2539 on: March 01, 2022, 06:38:12 AM »
I imagine that’s the case for the US but fir drop bar bikes I think road will always remain king in Europe due to this history and culture. Gravel is very much a US thing in the most part, and you have the terrain for them to make sense.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2540 on: March 01, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »
I'm not as serious as some of you and my cycling has taken a back seat recently but the gravel bike has been great. I am not a mountain biker but love long mixed-terrain rides in the middle out nowhere.. less cars the better... My "road cycling" is mostly on my single speed/ fixed gear in the thick of the city...

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2541 on: March 01, 2022, 11:02:25 AM »
I’m going to be completely honest. I want to sell it because I fucking hate the color. It’s bright ass orange and I don’t like looking at it.
https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/2020_vaya_grx_600

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2542 on: March 04, 2022, 04:45:53 AM »
Submitted without comment

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2543 on: March 04, 2022, 05:58:15 AM »
I’m going to be completely honest. I want to sell it because I fucking hate the color. It’s bright ass orange and I don’t like looking at it.

Would you stop trying to talk yourself into selling the damn bike. You’ll loose a grand on the deal. How about recoating? Do you know any powder coaters in your area?

https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/blogs/pittsburgh-spray-equipment-company/powder-coating-over-an-existing-coating

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2544 on: March 04, 2022, 06:57:36 AM »
2 many watts

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2545 on: March 04, 2022, 07:14:35 AM »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2546 on: March 04, 2022, 07:34:21 AM »
post your ftp fucboi

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2547 on: March 04, 2022, 07:56:12 AM »
i was in the 300 club when i was nice on the road bike

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2548 on: March 05, 2022, 01:56:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would you stop trying to talk yourself into selling the damn bike. You’ll loose a grand on the deal. How about recoating? Do you know any powder coaters in your area?

https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/blogs/pittsburgh-spray-equipment-company/powder-coating-over-an-existing-coating
Yea I’ve used this shop in deep east Oakland before. $180, stripped and coated a frame for me. Turned out great. I don’t know if I’m ready to do that though, I’ll just ride the thing how it is.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2549 on: March 05, 2022, 02:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yea I’ve used this shop in deep east Oakland before. $180, stripped and coated a frame for me. Turned out great. I don’t know if I’m ready to do that though, I’ll just ride the thing how it is.

Whatever your decision is I will support it.