Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187757 times)

mightytrucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -19
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3060 on: December 02, 2022, 09:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote
LL would be ranked higher if he put out less footage like Gino, AO, Penny
[close]

True for just about anything. Scarcity drives up the price.

Tiago lemos is the exception to that rule, however. Cuz he puts out quantity AND its all quality. And that makes peoples mind melt. Its almost like u never get used to tiagos level of skating.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3061 on: December 02, 2022, 09:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Imagine “straight white cis male objective weekly top 10” haha

The fuck outta here.
[close]

Yea, don't think anyone is asking for that lol

That would basically just be an etnies/plan b edit. Hahaha.

I assume most people on this forum are white, cis males and I don't think the consensus on here is Plan B or Etnies...

IpathCats

« Reply #3062 on: December 02, 2022, 09:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Imagine “straight white cis male objective weekly top 10” haha

The fuck outta here.
[close]

Yea, don't think anyone is asking for that lol

That would basically just be an etnies/plan b edit. Hahaha.
[close]

I assume most people on this forum are white, cis males and I don't think the consensus on here is Plan B or Etnies...

Was just making a joke about what something with a name that ridiculous would look like. Haha

IpathCats

« Reply #3063 on: December 02, 2022, 09:34:32 AM »
Vincent Milou is massively underrated/underappreciated

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3064 on: December 02, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
Resisting the urge to post a  “T-Funk SOTY” thread

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3065 on: December 02, 2022, 11:14:31 AM »
The little half-cab pivot thing where you half pop and don’t level the board out looks 1000% cornier than just doing the fakie revert back to regular maneuver.

IpathCats

« Reply #3066 on: December 02, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
The little half-cab pivot thing where you half pop and don’t level the board out looks 1000% cornier than just doing the fakie revert back to regular maneuver.

.....Nah

its all in the execution of either technique.

mightytrucks

« Reply #3067 on: December 02, 2022, 08:29:35 PM »
Tic tacs looked sick when pj did them during the WHL era.

switchfakie

« Reply #3068 on: December 03, 2022, 03:27:02 AM »

Caught me red handed

If nyjah doesn’t win it, thrasher is out of their minds

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #3069 on: December 03, 2022, 06:48:09 AM »
Louie is incredible but I wouldn’t even consider him in the running for SOTY. 5 other dudes and even Clive deserve it way more.

wheelchair skitch

« Reply #3070 on: December 03, 2022, 07:57:57 AM »
"bad" skating is way more fun to watch and it brings me more joy than any pros footage

I have the opposite opinion. I wish less people filmed skating in general, social media is just inundated with shitty skaters looking for validation. I only appreciate skating in its highest form which is great skating and good filming.
BE LIKE WATER

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #3071 on: December 03, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »

I would say the same is true for most flatground halfcab kickflips as well. Unless you can fold it like Kalis, just turn around.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3072 on: December 03, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
Supreme videos are always overrated and it confuses me.

Strobecks filming style is situationally awesome, but sucks most of the time. Completely ruins every ender it's touched and is a blight on skate history for that reason. Any clip where the spot is the star (or in general is big and requires full view and context) should not be filmed in that style.

Both of Tyshawns major parts this year were ruined by poor filming and lack of second angles. Unless he drops another part, I don't think he gets SOTY despite him being one of the greatest to ever skate and still at his peak.

Ben Kadow always has standout parts because his style of skating and spot choice works with the filming style.

Play Dead had some great tricks throughout but it felt incomplete and that only Kadow and Tyshawns parts were standouts (even Kadows seemed short). I wonder if it was prematurely pushed out the door for Tyshawns SOTY run or what.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3073 on: December 03, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Caught me red handed

If nyjah doesn’t win it, thrasher is out of their minds
We’re about to find out whether it’s true they really hate him. I think TFunk had a great year and is the perfect Thrasher skater so I imagine it’s a tough decision over there

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3074 on: December 03, 2022, 10:05:51 AM »
Remember that Nyjah is only 28, so if he doesn’t win it’s not like he’s never got a chance again.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3075 on: December 03, 2022, 10:40:24 AM »
Remember that Nyjah is only 28, so if he doesn’t win it’s not like he’s never got a chance again.

That's crazy. Tyshawn is turning 24 (not that far off from Nyjah), and it feels like he is still a "newer" skater, while Nyjah has been around for 18+ years already.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:47:07 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #3076 on: December 03, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »
Supreme videos are always overrated and it confuses me.

Strobecks filming style is situationally awesome, but sucks most of the time. Completely ruins every ender it's touched and is a blight on skate history for that reason. Any clip where the spot is the star (or in general is big and requires full view and context) should not be filmed in that style.

Both of Tyshawns major parts this year were ruined by poor filming and lack of second angles. Unless he drops another part, I don't think he gets SOTY despite him being one of the greatest to ever skate and still at his peak.

Ben Kadow always has standout parts because his style of skating and spot choice works with the filming style.

Play Dead had some great tricks throughout but it felt incomplete and that only Kadow and Tyshawns parts were standouts (even Kadows seemed short). I wonder if it was prematurely pushed out the door for Tyshawns SOTY run or what.

These are more just like opinions rather than unpopular opinions
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

mightytrucks

« Reply #3077 on: December 03, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
"bad" skating is way more fun to watch and it brings me more joy than any pros footage

people who say that just don't feel comfortable watching pros skate cuz it makes them feel bad about their own skating. People like that wanna wear blinders and live in their own delusional world where they're a big fish in a small pond.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3078 on: December 03, 2022, 12:04:54 PM »
Nik Stain part was way better than Tyshawn part by miles.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #3079 on: December 03, 2022, 02:39:57 PM »
Not sure if this is unpopular or just an issue for just a few folks, but I don’t fully understand why people get bent out of shape over people dropping parts for a “SOTY run”.
I’m just stoked to see so much crazy ass footage.

Yeah, I get the whole idea of it being deliberate grabs at the award, but SOTY doesn’t matter whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. It doesn’t harm anyone or anything other than maybe someone’s feelings.

Tl;dr: stop whining about deliberate “SOTY grabs” and just enjoy the insane amount of amazing footage we’re getting.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #3080 on: December 03, 2022, 02:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

people who say that just don't feel comfortable watching pros skate cuz it makes them feel bad about their own skating. People like that wanna wear blinders and live in their own delusional world where they're a big fish in a small pond.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3081 on: December 03, 2022, 05:32:13 PM »
Not sure if this is unpopular or just an issue for just a few folks, but I don’t fully understand why people get bent out of shape over people dropping parts for a “SOTY run”.

Yeah, I get the whole idea of it being deliberate grabs at the award, but SOTY doesn’t matter whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. It doesn’t harm anyone or anything other than maybe someone’s feelings.

Tl;dr: stop whining about deliberate “SOTY grabs” and just enjoy the insane amount of amazing footage we’re getting.
Right? Don’t get mad about SOTY Santa he brings fun gifts this time of year

aiden

« Reply #3082 on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the opposite opinion. I wish less people filmed skating in general, social media is just inundated with shitty skaters looking for validation. I only appreciate skating in its highest form which is great skating and good filming.
keyword validation
i think skating should die a little bit just so the incessant dogshit fades away a little, seeing total beginners do wack shit at wack spots just so they can post on instagram gets really old
seeing people having fun skating doing "simple" tricks well is more what i mean

aiden

« Reply #3083 on: December 03, 2022, 09:16:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
keyword validation
i think skating should die a little bit just so the incessant dogshit fades away a little, seeing total beginners do wack shit at wack spots just so they can post on instagram gets really old
seeing people having fun skating doing "simple" tricks well is more what i mean
sorry for the word vomit above, the caption summarizes what im trying to say

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #3084 on: December 05, 2022, 06:06:52 AM »
I part agree with the sentiment but at least where I am there's a whole generation of skaters who can really ride their boards well as well as do tricks we never dreamt of at that age. They make it look much better than most of us did 15 years ago. That caption reeks a bit of old guy who never got any good and is trying to put down the younger kids for being better than he was

I 100% agree with your sentiment though @aiden, the incessent pile on of footage for the sake of footage for the sake of footage by everyone that skates is mostly awful to experience. I've been putting off joining instagram for ages and never been too sure what's held me back but I think it's just not wanting to join in with the giant circlejerk of mediocrity because I know all I'll be posting is middle of the road park clips like everyone else. I used to love filming parts and being in edits etc and don't deny the dopium I got from seeing people 'react' to it that I'm sure is everyone on insta's main motivation. But I preferred when the collective body of work within a scene was smaller and it felt like I was adding something of value to it, rather than just putting up footage of myself for no other reason than wanting people to see and acknowledge it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:20:21 AM by Billy Bitchcakes »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

veritas

« Reply #3085 on: December 05, 2022, 06:22:32 AM »
Fat Bills videos are often filmed terribly but are more memorable and impactful than 90% of the edits that go up on thrasher or anything else from the past ten years. He’s also one of the only “brands” consistently doing full lengths

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 867
« Reply #3086 on: December 05, 2022, 06:25:43 AM »
 8)
Expand Quote

[close]
Right? Don’t get mad about SOTY Santa he brings fun gifts this time of year
It's just leftover silliness from the days where skateboarders had to be too cool. You aren't allowed to ever try or have goals you just have to somehow be naturally the best and let the big boys come to you and tell you you're in when theyre good and ready

IpathCats

« Reply #3087 on: December 05, 2022, 06:26:20 AM »
Fat Bills videos are often filmed terribly but are more memorable and impactful than 90% of the edits that go up on thrasher or anything else from the past ten years. He’s also one of the only “brands” consistently doing full lengths

It's the skaters/locations/songs more than his filming style.

Johnny Wilson would make a better supreme vid than Billy the Fatty.

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #3088 on: December 05, 2022, 08:23:42 AM »

Are they though? I still haven't watched but I'm not sure I will since the filming was so bad for the TJ portion.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #3089 on: December 05, 2022, 08:43:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's the skaters/locations/songs more than his filming style.

Johnny Wilson would make a better supreme vid than Billy the Fatty.

Agreed on both points. I actually found the use of Deftones' - Change and Metallica's One pretty tasteful.