Author Topic: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  (Read 10071 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:30:23 AM »
What would you like to warn other skaters about regarding equipment?

What warning labels should exist?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLAPPY on Bones Rough Riders or Spitfire Chargers.

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

DO NOT USE CLEAR GRIP on high wear areas on your deck.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:53:24 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 06:45:45 AM »
krux trucks. just dont
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »
Don't do Slappy's if you're young

BeanieMcGee

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »
Don’t pop the shields.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:46:52 AM »
Get aftermarket insoles and get in the habit of stretching before you skate
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:50:37 AM »

I would disagree here. I've learned a bunch of tricks on ledges after doing them on curbs first.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
What would you like to warn other skaters about regarding equipment?

What warning labels should exist?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLAPPY on Bones Rough Riders or Spitfire Chargers.

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

DO NOT USE CLEAR GRIP on high wear areas on your deck.

As bad as it sounds Mini Logo clear grip is the best almost identical to regular Mob. Mob clear grip is terrible.

Never clean your wheels with any type of soap, they lose their sound.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »
Take care of your feet. You can wear whatever flimsy shoes you want when you're young, and feel fine. But you might pay for it later. Skate in supportive cupsoles, use aftermarket insoles with arch support (because almost zero skate shoes out right now even attempt arch support), and wear something better for your feet than skate shoes when you're not skating. You don't want problems with your feet, and taking care of them may also prevent issues with other stuff (like your back or your knees) down the road.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
Loose trucks are great, but it's not a contest. You can have them loose and reliable while still supporting the weight of a human.

If you're young, try a variety of shapes and sizes until you learn what feels best. Just because the old dude at your park likes 8.5 boards doesn't mean you will.

It's nerdy, but if you're on a budget, cleaning your bearings works. I've doubled the life of past sets by simply taking 15 minutes and cleaning them out when they start to die.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1148
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 08:31:25 AM »
Grind King Spark Trucks: CAUTION- User will never have sexual intercourse ever again.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »
Things I wish I cold tell myself 20 years ago

-Wide, low, loose (but not "low" trucks)
-You don't need 58 or 60s to skate most parks. Good formula urethane means you can skate smaller wheels.
-Wheels need breaking in also. Bomb a few hills before blunt sliding them. They are less vulnerable to flat spots when they are broken in.
-Truck width and wheelbase might have more impact on your skateboarding than deck width.
-Tail length is important. Sub 6.5" is no good.
-Better to have slightly big shoes than slightly small.
-Be generous with your old equipment but never give away old trucks.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
You seriously don't need multiple setups for multiple specific purposes (ie street setup, tranny setup, slappy setup, cruiser setup, cruiser+slappy setup, etc). To be practical, at most you just need a regular setup and a cruiser.

I fell for this before and I ended up giving hella gear away and out of money.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:59 AM »
Relatedly, buying new gear in advance of when current gear gives out is a slippery slope. If your tail is practically gone or your trucks are well into the kingpin, go for it, but otherwise try to hold out. 

If you like a nice carve, go with a truck known for it. Venture don’t surf.

Don’t pop the shields.

Guilty as charged, and sentenced to noticeably slower and shittier rolling around.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
You seriously don't need multiple setups for multiple specific purposes (ie street setup, tranny setup, slappy setup, cruiser setup, cruiser+slappy setup, etc). To be practical, at most you just need a regular setup and a cruiser.

I have to politely disagree there. For me at least, it is hard to a tre flip on the same board that feels comfortable on 9' trannies and proper vert.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Wear a condom

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
Go faster!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have to politely disagree there. For me at least, it is hard to a tre flip on the same board that feels comfortable on 9' trannies and proper vert.

Agree. The board I'm comfortable on in bowls (8.3/8.5+ACE or 159s +54/55mm wheels) does not work as well for tech shit and vice versa (but does fine for hucking, if not moreso)...that 8.18 with, 51mm wheels and 8" trucks just doesn't feel as stable on round walls at speed :P

Stay away from Board Brand Wheels
(I'm guilty as fuck right now as I needed wanted 50mm wheels and wanted to top off for shipping; will let you know how these Darkroom wheels go ;)

Don't fall for bearing marketing.
Mini logo bearings are good enough for everyone (and most $15 dollar bearings from just about every reputable brand are decent enough); if you are going to spend money, spend it on BONES as those $40 Diamond Smoke Rings Bearings are probably shit. Bearing Spacers will prolong the life of your bearings.

Changing gear will fuck with your A-Game
(Guilty.) Find shit that works and stick with it regardless of brand (but choose carefully who you support).

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:54:25 AM by Xen »

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 11:00:26 AM »
Dont pop your shields unless you get bearings for free. If you can afford Bones Swiss (Regular or 6 ball) go for them, if you can’t then stick with Bones Reds.

If you’re ever in doubt about which board you should buy, go with the BBS/ Generator board. I know some Girl shapes are good, but think long term. There’s a reason why tons of pros who didn’t have board sponsors rode flowed BBS/ Generator products & turned down the crailtap box offer.

You can replace everything on your board, but always port over your old bushings. They’re the hardest thing to break in, and they last a long while even after they look munched.

Waxing new ledges and curbs should consist of rubbrick, clear rustoleum and wax.

Wear the shoes you intend on skating for a few weeks before you actually skate them, having them broken in makes a world of difference. Don’t microwave them, bc you may have to Shoe Goo the sole back on after a few sessions and then you’re back at square one.

Don’t wax the hell out of metal coping ledges/ rails/ bars, try going faster first and see if that’s the problem.

Stretch before you skate, regardless of how old you are. You’d be surprised how easily avoidable aches and pains are if you’re thoroughly stretched out. I used to be made fun of at spots by my friends when I’d do this, but I wasn’t the one who couldn’t sleep that night due to neck/ back issues.

Don’t get drunk or high before you skate, the whole “I skate better when I’m inebriated” myth is bullshit. Not only will you be at greater risk when it comes to injuries, but it could lead to an extreme dependence down the road that’ll ruin your life. I can’t stress this one enough, don’t do it.

Low profile cup soles > vulcanized shoes, it’ll save your feet in the long run. Even if you skate vulc soles, try to wear something with support when you’re off the board. I know board feel is important, but so are feet and knees that don’t hurt in your 30’s.

Don’t read the typed descriptions of your favourite pro’s social media posts, just watch the video and keep it moving. You don’t wanna sour the enjoyment you get out of watching your fave pro bc they use their high school drop out education to lecture you on politics and vaccines.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:02:16 AM by Matthew_James »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agree. The board I'm comfortable on in bowls (8.3/8.5+ACE or 159s +54/55mm wheels) does not work as well for tech shit and vice versa (but does fine for hucking, if not moreso)...that 8.18 with, 51mm wheels and 8" trucks just doesn't feel as stable on round walls at speed :P

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I meant it more for the newer skaters that blame their equipment rather than their actual skill level. ("I've been skating for 3 weeks and I can ollie on my 8" board but can't do a axle stall first try? I need a new 9" setup instead of practicing.") For more experienced skaters, it's way more situational especially if you do both tech and tranny.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »

Don’t get drunk or high before you skate, the whole “I skate better when I’m inebriated” myth is bullshit. Not only will you be at greater risk when it comes to injuries, but it could lead to an extreme dependence down the road that’ll ruin your life. I can’t stress this one enough, don’t do it.

This times 1000. Way too many middle/high school kids in my local skate scene that unironically believe they need to drink and smoke while skating in order be be validated as a skateboarder.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »

Stretch before you skate, regardless of how old you are. You’d be surprised how easily avoidable aches and pains are if you’re thoroughly stretched out. I used to be made fun of at spots by my friends when I’d do this, but I wasn’t the one who couldn’t sleep that night due to neck/ back issues.

Low profile cup soles > vulcanized shoes, it’ll save your feet in the long run. Even if you skate vulc soles, try to wear something with support when you’re off the board. I know board feel is important, but so are feet and knees that don’t hurt in your 30’s.

Young and dumb applies here. I wish I was smarter about the shoes I wore when I was younger (I did for a while as I only wore B-ball high tops as 'skate' shoes were shit). And to be frank, most vulc shoes are shit. Little to no arch support, thin insoles for board feel and high heel cushioning. Terrible. There are amazing Cupsoles out there that just require a little more time to break in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:19:58 PM by Xen »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 11:59:24 AM »
I'm off cupsoles. Rolled my ankles in them twice this year, and had a bunch of scares but it has yet to happen in vulcs with a supportive insole. I just don't wear vulcs off the board.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »

Stay away from Board Brand Wheels
(I'm guilty as fuck right now as I needed wanted 50mm wheels and wanted to top off for shipping; will let you know how these Darkroom wheels go ;)

Don't fall for bearing marketing.
Mini logo bearings are good enough for everyone (and most $15 dollar bearings from just about every reputable brand are decent enough); if you are going to spend money, spend it on BONES as those $40 Diamond Smoke Rings Bearings are probably shit. Bearing Spacers will prolong the life of your bearings.

Changing gear will fuck with your A-Game
(Guilty.) Find shit that works and stick with it regardless of brand (but choose carefully who you support).

Words of wisdom here!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1494
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
Get good at the basics. Ollie anything and everything. Manuals will improve stability/balance building muscle groups needed for that. Get consistent and find out your strengths/work on weaknesses.

Jumping down shit is really fun, but beats you up pretty bad if you are not ready.

Don't fake the funk. Just because other people are ripping really hard, don't feel the need to push far beyond your limits because theoretically it makes you look cooler in other people's eyes that you're trying such a hard trick. Tiny steps will get you there just as good as big, unnecessarily dangerous leaps.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
Don't fake your skate style,if you land stiff legged of a 3 stair kickflip then bend down all low 2 seconds after you're embarrassing yourself.

Skate fast and be loose every now and then.

Stretch

Look at the shape of a deck, and remember it for whatever board you discover as "your" shape, then graphics dont *really* matter if it's your shape and dimensions.

Skate the streets,not just the skatepark where they want you.

Wear a condom and don't do too many drugs...or any for that matter.

Get one good ledge trick.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

SoftCarPrawn

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »
Could be wrong here but I don’t think cupsole vs vulc matters nearly as much as a proper insole does.  I do regret the years I spent popping shields off my bearings though.  I could’ve saved a shit load of money.  Also, everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. 

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
Don't learn flip tricks before ollies.
Go fast.

gonzSOI

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »
i learned the hard way about those Spitfire Chargers.  wish they made a 92-95A wheel

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »
Dont fall for that Krux banner, they baaaad

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would disagree here. I've learned a bunch of tricks on ledges after doing them on curbs first.

Yep, I think the revival of low impact stuff is the best thing happened to skateboarding in past decade. I still remember early 00's when you got bullied for doing slappies (can't you ollie on that little curb?), no complies and boneless was not really counted as a trick etc. Dark times..