Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717319 times)

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5220 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
just started inching my way back into skate photography. Posted a few snaps on the tumblr i created a few days ago
www.hi8videohomesystem.tumblr.com
check them out, any advice or feedback is welcome

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #5221 on: September 20, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
did a bit of traveling round europe in the summer, here's a few shots. i've also started to do my own black and white developing at home, you can tell i fucked up with the development timings in second picture.

EDIT: I apologize for the sizes. I've only just noticed they're oversized.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:17:34 AM by foley_ »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #5222 on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
Another one from Proxy Falls.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5223 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »
those are sweet fongstarr!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5224 on: September 20, 2014, 11:01:19 PM »
those are sweet fongstarr!

Thanks dude.

A lot of good stuff in here as usual. All you guys have your own unique look. It's really cool to see.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5225 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »
Some stuff today. I need to shoot more street stuff. I always feel like I don't get that great moment. This is from Folsom St festival here in SF. It's pretty much a BDSM show with literally a ton of interesting things to shoot if you are into these things. I wish I got way more than what I saw but this is what I got.

One in color.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:22:39 PM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5226 on: September 22, 2014, 07:19:11 AM »

really like this one. good stuff dude.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5227 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »

vitunvesa

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5228 on: September 24, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »

xpans, almost all of em were nn the same roll

6x6
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:29:23 AM by vitunvesa »
eat like a bird and drink like a whale

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5229 on: September 24, 2014, 02:04:04 AM »
those are all incredible, vitunvesa. goddamn xpan seems so tempting. love the whole series.

bs180 nosegrind revert.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5230 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
Those are rad as hell. What is going on with that cabin and the smoke?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5231 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Really really liking those, vitunvesa!

John Waters

Future Islands

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5232 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
Starting my 35mm journey. From my first roll.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:14:23 PM by DMH »

vitunvesa

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5233 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »
Those are rad as hell. What is going on with that cabin and the smoke?

it's a smoke sauna on one of my friends backyard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_sauna#Smoke_sauna

thanks fellas! Can't say that I regret buying an xpan. it's relatively small to carry and supports nicely the square format I'm used to shoot
eat like a bird and drink like a whale

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5234 on: September 25, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »

pretty sick! what are you shooting with?

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5235 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Minolta SR-T 200 and some generic CVS C-41. Had a very amateur experience when I went to go pick up my prints yesterday. Apparently after my first roll, I somehow was incorrectly loading the camera for my next three. So I went expecting to get four rolls back. Got 1.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5236 on: September 25, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Minolta SR-T 200 and some generic CVS C-41. Had a very amateur experience when I went to go pick up my prints yesterday. Apparently after my first roll, I somehow was incorrectly loading the camera for my next three. So I went expecting to get four rolls back. Got 1.

i feel you. i used to shoot film in highschool, but the camera i had automatically wound the film so i never had to worry about anything like that. when i got back into it this year, i was using this old yashica camera and i guess the frame counter was broken because when i shot my first roll it only said 18 frames had been exposed on a 24 exposure roll when it was actually at the end. since the roll was finished the lever wouldnt crank anymore, but i thought the camera was just stuck so i cranked on it as hard as i could and ended up snapping the fill off the reel. stupid mistakes all noobs make.

im sure youve got it figured out by now, but when you load your film make sure that the part that holds the rewind knob spins every time you wind the advance lever. it its not spinning when you advance your film, you didnt load it properly.

good luck man. im kind of looking to sell a few of my cameras too if you or anyone else is interested. ive got an olympus trip, olympus XA2 with an A16 flash, and an olympus infinity stylus. all are in good condition and i like them all, but i think i have like 8 film cameras at the moment and i definitely dont need that many. also, if anyone has any canon FD lenses theyre trying to get rid of, i might be interested as i just found out the blades on my 50mm are stuck.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5237 on: September 25, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

im sure youve got it figured out by now, but when you load your film make sure that the part that holds the rewind knob spins every time you wind the advance lever. it its not spinning when you advance your film, you didnt load it properly.

This is exactly the kind of indicator I need that I did or didn't do it right. Didn't really know what to look for. Thanks, man.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5238 on: September 26, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Also, not trying to fill up this thread with too much shit, but, like The Bullet, I don't really know where else to put this. Here's a music video that a friend and I produced and shot for $300 for a couple friends out of Nashville. I'm not a big fan of the song, but I was bored and wanted to make something. Why not something for the homies.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #5239 on: September 26, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
Also, not trying to fill up this thread with too much shit, but, like The Bullet, I don't really know where else to put this. Here's a music video that a friend and I produced and shot for $300 for a couple friends out of Nashville. I'm not a big fan of the song, but I was bored and wanted to make something. Why not something for the homies.

Holy shit.  That was incredibly shot/directed.  Amazing work.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:16:41 AM by The Bullet »

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5240 on: September 26, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy shit.  That was incredibly shot/directed.  Amazing work.

Thanks so much, man. Means a lot coming from you. Your video work is outstanding. You've even got a Staff Pick to your credit! Haha.

6feetdeep

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5241 on: September 26, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i feel you. i used to shoot film in highschool, but the camera i had automatically wound the film so i never had to worry about anything like that. when i got back into it this year, i was using this old yashica camera and i guess the frame counter was broken because when i shot my first roll it only said 18 frames had been exposed on a 24 exposure roll when it was actually at the end. since the roll was finished the lever wouldnt crank anymore, but i thought the camera was just stuck so i cranked on it as hard as i could and ended up snapping the fill off the reel. stupid mistakes all noobs make.
damn, that sure reminds me of my first attempts at shooting analog. My dad had two old cameras and i was pretty stoked when i found them somewhere lying around. I was really careful with what to shoot and what not and i guess it took me like three months to shoot one film, i didn't want to "waste" anything or whatever. Well, after taking them to the lab i got an empty envelope back without any photos in it and i still had to pay for the developing costs. I was pretty pissed and the best part is that it happened again months later with the other camera. I'm still not quite sure if i loaded/unloaded 'em incorrectly or if they were broken haha.

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5242 on: September 27, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »

colin

« Reply #5243 on: September 27, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »

I think I have pretty good luck at Green Mountain, CO

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #5244 on: September 27, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is exactly the kind of indicator I need that I did or didn't do it right. Didn't really know what to look for. Thanks, man.
I made your same mistake on one roll once, but it was a very very important roll with a lot of personal meaningful stuff on it and I was super pissed at by self. After that I realized I was loading film poorly and this video helped. Haven't had a problem since.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #5245 on: September 27, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »
I started a new job in August and a startup package just came through allotting $1600 for a DSLR body/lens. Any recommendations? I've gone numb reading reviews online.

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5246 on: September 28, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »
I started a new job in August and a startup package just came through allotting $1600 for a DSLR body/lens. Any recommendations? I've gone numb reading reviews online.

what are you going to be using it for?

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #5247 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what are you going to be using it for?

Documenting my work--shooting photos possibly for publication. I work doing local food production/urban agriculture stuff. Camera bodies seem fairly straight forward but I really want a good versatile lens.

I'm thinking of getting this lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw06GfBRCR9tDI4t6n5_MBEiQAFo6kuDaSqb5VgOrqqrk8bz8PhKK8TF-Mdg9Zsnv0tp9sjg0aAs8P8P8HAQ

And this body/lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-3-0-Inch-18-135mm-Standard/dp/B0040JHVC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407821979&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+60d

I'd love feedback though.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #5248 on: September 28, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy shit.  That was incredibly shot/directed.  Amazing work.

[close]

Thanks so much, man. Means a lot coming from you. Your video work is outstanding. You've even got a Staff Pick to your credit! Haha.

Pffsh, that staff pick don't mean anything.  That music video was way better than any video I've ever made

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #5249 on: September 29, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »

Irvine-Sucks.com