Author Topic: Israel's right to exist  (Read 11237 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
Re: Israel's right to exist
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Beer in hand, sun lotion on face, we ran...It’s [Tel Aviv] a kind of an escape...Four days ago, the city was normal and hopping...There’s been a change since the rockets fell...”

it's impossible to feel bad about the "hedonistic" beach party being interrupted...

[close]

Hope that you feel at least bad that in Gaza under Hamas rule there will never be allowed 'hedonistic' beach parties of this kind.

[close]

great point, better slaughter them indiscriminately

Right... also, Hamas control in Palestine was a response to Israeli violence and illegal expansion, was it not? We have a displaced people fighting for their right to exist in a place that they have lived for ages. I know this was/is the Zionist perspective as well... but the situation is not the same anymore. Not in today's context. Israel exists and has major support (for some pretty dubious reasons, I should add). Palestine is more or less unrecognized and being swallowed up, yet are called terrorists for fighting back. And the Palestinians are only fighting for a tiny sliver, a fraction of what was designated for the early two state plan.

Also, important time to point out that not all Palestinians align themselves with Hamas, or are even Muslim... for this reason it is not helpful to frame it as Hamas vs Israel imo.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1415
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2021, 07:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
"Beer in hand, sun lotion on face, we ran...It’s [Tel Aviv] a kind of an escape...Four days ago, the city was normal and hopping...There’s been a change since the rockets fell...”

it's impossible to feel bad about the "hedonistic" beach party being interrupted...

[close]

Hope that you feel at least bad that in Gaza under Hamas rule there will never be allowed 'hedonistic' beach parties of this kind.

Expand Quote
The Jews are treating the Arab Muslims like a lesser people [...]
[close]

Collectively blaming 'the jews'? -Text-book antisemitism.

Fuck out of here with that weak shit.
Israel as a state doesn't get to slaughter and try to ethnicly cleanse Palestine just because they have the ability to have beach parties. Palestinians can't even get on a fucking row boat without the Israeli navy trying to play battleship with them. Israel gets held to a standard that no other country does. No one would ever accuse someone of being racist against the French for criticizing them about their niquab ban, but every time people rightly call out the war crimes that Israel is guilty of, then you're an anti semite. It's so cynical and disgusting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2021, 10:32:48 PM »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1512
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »
I find it very surprising that many nations are now expressing open solidarity with Israel. I can't remember that being the case in past escalations (USA excluded)?

Also, destroying the media building is hopefully a war crime (or should be).

This mess should be exhibit A for abandoning religion across the world.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2021, 04:01:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
The Jews are treating the Arab Muslims like a lesser people [...]
[close]

Collectively blaming 'the jews'? -Text-book antisemitism.
my bad, I should have said "the Israeli government"
but, you cherry picked that from my post.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2021, 06:10:21 AM »
i don't always line up with trevor noah but i like his perspective here

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2021, 06:45:35 AM »
Let’s be real about why this shit is happening. “Right to exist” is a convenient catch phrase, but the real reason is that the US Military needs allies and resources in the region to secure commodities like oil and minerals... and opium, in the case of Afghanistan. Oh, and also to prevent these smaller countries from thriving with assistance from rival superpowers. We could argue about the utility or the morality of these policies, but it’s all pointless if we don’t begin with a realistic understanding of the actual conditions.

Israeli “democracy” is about as legitimate as US democracy, which is to say it’s a total scam operated by ruling class interests. Recent elections show this pretty clearly. Many of the non-Jewish US politicians and right wingers who love Israel so much are actually anti-Semitic as fuck. If you personally are a Zionist for personal/religious reasons, that’s a different conversation. Geopolitics don’t care about that. It’s about cash, resources, power, etc.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2021, 07:17:17 AM »
Let’s be real about why this shit is happening. “Right to exist” is a convenient catch phrase, but the real reason is that the US Military needs allies and resources in the region to secure commodities like oil and minerals... and opium, in the case of Afghanistan. Oh, and also to prevent these smaller countries from thriving with assistance from rival superpowers. We could argue about the utility or the morality of these policies, but it’s all pointless if we don’t begin with a realistic understanding of the actual conditions.

Israeli “democracy” is about as legitimate as US democracy, which is to say it’s a total scam operated by ruling class interests. Recent elections show this pretty clearly. Many of the non-Jewish US politicians and right wingers who love Israel so much are actually anti-Semitic as fuck. If you personally are a Zionist for personal/religious reasons, that’s a different conversation. Geopolitics don’t care about that. It’s about cash, resources, power, etc.

there's a lot of things about your views that i don't align with my views but focusing on your main point about it all being about money and influence is leaving out "to the US". i'm assuming that was implicit but the actual conflict over there is way more complicated than that and doesn't really care about the US interest. i'd also argue that here in the US religious interests are a big factor. religion is a crazy thing and even though these evangelicals might be anti-Semitic they like zionism because it aligns with their desire to bring about end times and judgement day.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

there's a lot of things about your views that i don't align with my views but focusing on your main point about it all being about money and influence is leaving out "to the US". i'm assuming that was implicit but the actual conflict over there is way more complicated than that and doesn't really care about the US interest. i'd also argue that here in the US religious interests are a big factor. religion is a crazy thing and even though these evangelicals might be anti-Semitic they like zionism because it aligns with their desire to bring about end times and judgement day.

This is a good read on the ultra-rights love of Israel.
https://harpers.org/archive/2016/07/my-holy-land-vacation/

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I’m really just talking about the US here. Because without a gajillion dollars annually in US support sent to Israel, this would all look very different. To me everything else is moot.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1416
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is something that I feel most people in the anti-apartheid conversation aren't getting at.

up @mj23
I think you're pretty spot on regarding the right-wingers in the States. They're waving swastika flags and arguing support for Israel as a nation. Cognitive dissonance.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

this is something that I feel most people in the anti-apartheid conversation aren't getting at.

up @mj23
I think you're pretty spot on regarding the right-wingers in the States. They're waving swastika flags and arguing support for Israel as a nation. Cognitive dissonance.

Not that I am going to defend the Right in any way, shape, or form, but the argument of the neo-folk and other WP movements is that ultimately countries have sovereignty and all races should have their own carved out places and live adjacent to each other peacefully. They'd want all Jews shipped from America to Israel.

This is basically a recruiting technique to demonstrate there is simply a "kinder, gentler" form of fascism. Nice clean cut boys in suits like Richard Spencer.
ok thanks

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2021, 03:12:09 PM »
This is not cool.

Ric Leonetti

• Rep: 20
  • Sorry if my name offends you
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
You guys know a lot
The Man From The Place Of Clay

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I know I’m gonna look dumb as fuck for asking this, but someone give me a general rundown of what the core of the conflict is between Israel and Palestine is? From what I gather, it’s rooted in religion, but you guys started talking about economics, World War 2, Karl Marx, France, and U.S. involvement (per usual) and I was completely out of the loop the whole time.
[close]

it's the fucking fault of the british, google capitalism and imperialism
That's part of it as they wanted to control/have stability in the Suez canal to maintain imports from India. But, the significant roots of the current dispute are rooted in the British making multiple promises during WWI in an attempt to destabilize what they viewed to be the weakest coalition among the Germans, Austro-Hungarians, and the Ottoman Empire siding with Zionists and Pan-Arabs promising multiple things and not fulfilling on them. Many of the states created out of this fell for a variety of reasons and haven't seen stable democratic rule in their existence as independent nations (Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan). While Britain had capitalistic goals, the primary goal was to destabilize the Ottoman Empire in order to win the first World War.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2021, 08:58:51 PM »
I think SLAPs reference to the photos are a joke (probably) but it's always hard to tell on a forum, but just to put it out there I'm not going to condemn BA or Gonz for shirts they wore x years ago.

If they were wearing shirt with BiBi's face on it (fuck that dude) yeah, I'd be bummed and rethink my admiration, but (possible) souvenirs from a trip to Israel or a random thrift store find, not going to give it too much thought.

And yeah part of this has to do with who they are and what I assume their beliefs to be... I can't imagine either being pro-destruction of the Palestinian people.

I know a few of the AZ pros/industry dudes have AZ tattoos, I think don't a single one backs the state's right-wing politics, but instead AZ is a place they identify with despite the state's stupid ass politics. (I don't think Ryan Lay is going to be voting for Sheriff Joe even if he has an AZ tattoo.)

I might be applying a double standard here (I'm going to think about it), but, yeah, unless I see something past a shirt, I'm not worried about either of them.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/05/canceling-comedians-while-the-world-burns-cancel-culture-moralism-social-media
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:07:29 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
I think SLAPs reference to the photos are a joke (probably) but it's always hard to tell on a forum, but just to put it out there I'm not going to condemn BA or Gonz for shirts they wore x years ago.

If they were wearing shirt with BiBi's face on it (fuck that dude) yeah, I'd be bummed and rethink my admiration, but (possible) souvenirs from a trip to Israel or a random thrift store find, not going to give it too much thought.

And yeah part of this has to do with who they are and what I assume their beliefs to be... I can't imagine either being pro-destruction of the Palestinian people.

I know a few of the AZ pros/industry dudes have AZ tattoos, I think don't a single one backs the state's right-wing politics, but instead AZ is a place they identify with despite the state's stupid ass politics. (I don't think Ryan Lay is going to be voting for Sheriff Joe even if he has an AZ tattoo.)

I might be applying a double standard here (I'm going to think about it), but, yeah, unless I see something past a shirt, I'm not worried about either of them.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/05/canceling-comedians-while-the-world-burns-cancel-culture-moralism-social-media

I'm not bashing either of them, I posted the Gonz photo to show that the shirt BA is wearing is identical, and a throw back in skate history. As soon as I saw that dudes post I instantly thought recalled video days. I guess some clarification is necessary when posting a photo to sort of mock another post for being touchy

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
BA is probably only wearing it because the Gonz did and probably knows nothing about how sensitive the subject is like a lot of Americans i'm afraid to say.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »
Guys I just thought up something totally insane

What if we tried talking about “Palestine’s right to exist”

That would be crazy right

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »
YOU SONOFABITCH!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »

good point here. especially the last sentence.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
^nailed it on the head. Israel is a client state of the US and is there to protect resource extraction in our pseudo colonies. Also apparently Israeli spies are super involved in the domestic mdma market here in the US. Gotta keep the drugs and minerals flowing

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
^nailed it on the head. Israel is a client state of the US and is there to protect resource extraction in our pseudo colonies. Also apparently Israeli spies are super involved in the domestic mdma market here in the US. Gotta keep the drugs and minerals flowing

???

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2021, 08:10:06 PM »
Did this fit out of a trendycunt bar in bris earlier this year and it had waterless pissers getting replaced with newer waterless pissers
The plumber showed me this pipe going into the wall halfway blocked with this solidified shite and he’s all yeah this is all cut that punters have pissed out over the years

Gross, reckon legit or nah? I’ll try find the photo cause I remember I texted it to my mates at the time

I remember it fucken stank anyway but it could have just been piss minerals, too

Waterless urinals, don’t do it
listen to cosmic psychos

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

???

https://www.haaretz.com/1.4723857

https://www.salon.com/2002/05/07/students/

https://www.customs.govt.nz/about-us/news/media-releases/israeli-trio-sentenced-for-carrying-$3.6-m-mdma-crystals/

https://jewishjournal.com/culture/health/4651/

Much like in our country, intelligence agencies and organized crime work in coordination from time to time. Shit is very weird. Mossad was doing DEA pen testing essentially to keep their mdma ring going

Backchoi

• Rep: 0
« Reply #207 on: Today at 07:18:00 AM »
Great thread to read up on. As I thought the skate world was completely silent or oblivious to the Middle East. Living in fear of being labeled an anti semite or HAMAS.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -66
  • ???
« Reply #208 on: Today at 08:08:00 AM »
someone shout out free Palestine in thrasher not too long ago