Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40923 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #390 on: July 26, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »
Oddly, bones still feel great in indys (and tensor ATGs), everytime (could be muscle memory)...FWIW they are broken in bones meds, just not a super new nor old beat-up set.

I sucked it up and ordered the ACE low hards (discount code helped just a tad).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2022, 04:41:33 PM »
Yah these dudes skate 99% ledges and seem to be the type to just throw Bones in a truck by default. They seem to like the stability on center and turn despite that.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • Get bent
« Reply #392 on: July 29, 2022, 08:22:46 AM »
Yea when I ordered my set I also ordered the hard bushings, luckily I did the stock ones are just too mushy for the way I skate, really liking the way these things skate thoigh
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #393 on: July 29, 2022, 07:45:29 PM »
Got the low hards the other day; got them swapped in for tomorrow's skate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #394 on: July 30, 2022, 06:52:02 PM »

The hard low bushings in the lows are the way. You lose nothing and gain a lot.

Out of the pack they're not loosy goosy (no easy front foot steering), they get rid of the 'wobble' and provide stability without cranking them down. My guess is, much like bones hards, once broken in they'll be that perfect 'medium' for a long time. Obviously less wheebite, but hard or not, once you get the turn going you can feel the hards give way to the geo but I expect that's due to them not being broken in and it will only get more fluid.

Being 185lbs tho, I still swapped out the washers for flat sleeved, specifically because of the bottom. With the soft stocks I'd bind on the bottom (loose, 51mm wheels), this alleviates that with the softs and while I wasn't binding on the hards, once broken in I could see it happening -  there's not a lot of space under there between the yoke and plate.

Been riding 51 (50s now?) on them but wouldn't feel worried putting 52s on again.

Also, no clicking, and I didn't miss/notice the lack of the dual duro setup.

eSK3

« Reply #395 on: July 31, 2022, 04:09:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Out of the pack they're not loosy goosy (no easy front foot steering), they get rid of the 'wobble' and provide stability without cranking them down. My guess is, much like bones hards, once broken in they'll be that perfect 'medium' for a long time. Obviously less wheebite, but hard or not, once you get the turn going you can feel the hards give way to the geo but I expect that's due to them not being broken in and it will only get more fluid.

Being 185lbs tho, I still swapped out the washers for flat sleeved, specifically because of the bottom. With the soft stocks I'd bind on the bottom (loose, 51mm wheels), this alleviates that with the softs and while I wasn't binding on the hards, once broken in I could see it happening -  there's not a lot of space under there between the yoke and plate.

Been riding 51 (50s now?) on them but wouldn't feel worried putting 52s on again.

Thanks for this. Doing the lords work.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #396 on: July 31, 2022, 04:28:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice I thought I was the only one riding 52 and smaller preferably these days
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #397 on: July 31, 2022, 08:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I tend to match wheel height to truck height and since these are lows, granted they curb wheel bite better than most, but I'm not going to throw 56 kader radial fulls on them =)

Lows or not, I rarely run anything over 53mm these days unless I'm building it for a certain style of skating/need more speed for something. But my general rule is ~52 for street 54+ for parks (with bowls). When I'm skating 'everything' regularly I would stick with 53/54. Alos, skinny wheels for life.

Meanwhile, cobra out there on [tight as fuck] thunders rocking 56mm conical fulls...wtf
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgqH9PIJMM9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 09:12:46 AM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #398 on: July 31, 2022, 09:21:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for this. Doing the lords work.

The Hard bushings have a very similar effect in the regular AF1s also. Never thought hard bushings could work so well for me. After a few weeks they pretty much feel 90% like regular bushings but with a tad more resistance and wheelbite prevention. Perfect.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #399 on: July 31, 2022, 10:33:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I tend to match wheel height to truck height and since these are lows, granted they curb wheel bite better than most, but I'm not going to throw 56 kader radial fulls on them =)

Lows or not, I rarely run anything over 53mm these days unless I'm building it for a certain style of skating/need more speed for something. But my general rule is ~52 for street 54+ for parks (with bowls). When I'm skating 'everything' regularly I would stick with 53/54. Alos, skinny wheels for life.

Meanwhile, cobra out there on [tight as fuck] thunders rocking 56mm conical fulls...wtf

A few pros/ex-pros have been doing the big wheels, tight (seemingly) thunders: Dane Burman, Axel, Jordan Powell…hmmm, I thought there was more. Aaaaanyways, it’s noteworthy, probably only to me, in that I get the wheelbite with thunders, real quick. 56s can give some more pop, so that’s nice.

I’ve been pushing around on wheels smaller than 52s, and it sucks, but I don’t skate that fast, wheel size be damned. Riding big wheels started to feel like wearing rain boots everyday.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A few pros/ex-pros have been doing the big wheels, tight (seemingly) thunders: Dane Burman, Axel, Jordan Powell…hmmm, I thought there was more. Aaaaanyways, it’s noteworthy, probably only to me, in that I get the wheelbite with thunders, real quick. 56s can give some more pop, so that’s nice.

I’ve been pushing around on wheels smaller than 52s, and it sucks, but I don’t skate that fast, wheel size be damned. Riding big wheels started to feel like wearing rain boots everyday.

I went out (again) with multiple setups and while I love the thunder pop and nimble-ness, I can't skate them without wheelbite unless I tighten them down to the point of being useless (I just fall off pushing they're so tight); setup stock bushing, team plates with 52mm wheels. They're just not for me.

The ACEs felt great today, in fact they were giving off serious thunder vibes, tho I wish I had some 55s, been feeling wider setups.

Those on the fence I highly suggest you get the hards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #401 on: July 31, 2022, 12:59:15 PM »
A few dudes I know that love Thunders also love Ace lows these days and find them less wheelbite-y. Which doesn't help my madness at all. I don't like my trucks super tight but stock Thunder feels pretty good in terms of turn and wheelbite. Only reason to pick Ace is AF1 as a lower Indy alternative.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: July 31, 2022, 01:37:39 PM »
@Xen
@LebowskisRug

If I end up getting af1 lows because of both of you…I swear

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: July 31, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »
If I wanted a lower Indy I’d get forged hollow mid. Lighter than Ace lows.

I wouldn’t skate Ace as a replacement for thunders either, I’d skate the new royals.

The royals check all the boxes and I keep finding my way back to them…lighter than the Ace lows too, If that matters.

Best sub 52mm trucks are Ace lows and the forged mindy When it comes to loose trucks and minimal wheebite tho easy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »
Also, don’t trust me, as I was skating 149 Tensor ATG maglites with bones mediums and 54stfs as well today and had a blast on this setup ;)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: July 31, 2022, 06:23:00 PM »
Also, don’t trust me, as I was skating 149 Tensor ATG maglites with bones mediums and 54stfs as well today and had a blast on this setup ;)

Ha!

I considered getting some 8” tensor mag light lows. I’m all low trucks rn.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: July 31, 2022, 07:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha!

I considered getting some 8” tensor mag light lows. I’m all low trucks rn.

The ATGs with 54mm wheels don't feel High to me, just normal...def weird but man, the slappy game was strong today...it's really hard to put down the maglites for slappydayz.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #407 on: July 31, 2022, 09:13:46 PM »
@Xen what brand of hard bushings did you go with? I did 1 setup on AF1 Lows before going to Thunder, feel like the bushing route could get me to give Ace another shot.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #408 on: July 31, 2022, 09:19:40 PM »
If I wanted a lower Indy I’d get forged hollow mid. Lighter than Ace lows.

I wouldn’t skate Ace as a replacement for thunders either, I’d skate the new royals.

The royals check all the boxes and I keep finding my way back to them…lighter than the Ace lows too, If that matters.

Best sub 52mm trucks are Ace lows and the forged mindy When it comes to loose trucks and minimal wheebite tho easy.

I never got used to the Royal pop feel. It's super light, but I think I prefer a bit heavier. Historically Thunder and Indy Standards work best for me and the lighter variants always end up feeling a bit too light.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »
@Xen what brand of hard bushings did you go with? I did 1 setup on AF1 Lows before going to Thunder, feel like the bushing route could get me to give Ace another shot.

Ace hard lows

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #410 on: August 01, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »
So guys is it confirmed that the only difference in these ace af1 lows is the baseplate? So one can swap hangers between lows and normal af1s? I'm very tempted to get some 60 lows in order to actually have standard 60 for a bowl setup and try to skate the lows in 44-55 size.

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
Also i've always been very curious to try and put the ace low bushings in other trucks (thunders mostly)

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2022, 12:36:47 PM »
Thunders have taller bottom bushings than Ace hi's, don't put low Ace bushings in Thunders, they will not jive. And yes, the baseplates are the only difference that makes them lows.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2022, 04:36:04 PM »
So guys is it confirmed that the only difference in these ace af1 lows is the baseplate? So one can swap hangers between lows and normal af1s? I'm very tempted to get some 60 lows in order to actually have standard 60 for a bowl setup and try to skate the lows in 44-55 size.

Correct.

Thunders have taller bottom bushings than Ace hi's, don't put low Ace bushings in Thunders, they will not jive. And yes, the baseplates are the only difference that makes them lows.

Correct, but no one will put your nuts in a vice if you give it a go anyway ;)  Personally I find a barrel bushing in Thunders to totally ruin how they feel.

darkstarwallet

• Rep: 0
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2022, 10:11:49 AM »
I'm debating indulging my madness with the AF1 Lows. I have two setups rn, an 8.5" and an 8.38" with 55/44 AF1s respectively. I was thinking of swapping one of the trucks out for either Thunders or AF1 lows, probably the 44s. I haven't skated Thunders in years and I'm worried I'll miss the Ace carve if I switch out. They do seem more stable though and I keep hearing about the pinch. I'm starting to get more comfortable on ledges and rails and I want to start flipping in and out of them and level up my grind game beside crooks and 50s. Should I get the AF1 lows or some Thunder (Lights?), and if I do get the AF1 lows will my 53 classics work or should I size down? thanks for any input

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
Ace low or indy forged hollow mid (50.5 and lighter than ace) or Royal (52mm).

I've only run 52mm on my ace lows and I ride loose, they were fine - tho now I run the hard low bushings which puts them on par with thunder stability but with more carve.

The royals will give you the best of both.

But, since you seem to be all in on ACE, just get lows but pick up the hard bushings for something closer to thunder.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:18:20 AM by Xen »

darkstarwallet

« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2022, 01:19:33 PM »

I've only run 52mm on my ace lows and I ride loose, they were fine - tho now I run the hard low bushings which puts them on par with thunder stability but with more carve.

But, since you seem to be all in on ACE, just get lows but pick up the hard bushings for something closer to thunder.

I might be open to the Royals, Ben's review made me curious about them. I'm over Indy tho. I tried the hard Ace AF1 bushings on my normal AF1s and ended up going back to stock. With that in mind I'm guessing you'd recommend the 8.25" Royals over Thunders/AF1 Lows?

edit: do you think I could get away with 54mm spit tablets on the Royals?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
Depends on how tight you ride.

The royals/stock are super loose/carvey out of the gate, very reminiscent of skating aces but with a bit more stability/less squirrelyness.

The forged mindy skate amazing but still feel like Indy (but I like them better than regular forged Indy).

Thing is, nothing skates like Ace, switching to anything can be a let down.

If you have to have some carve I’d go with the royals over thunder every time.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 02:06:49 PM by Xen »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I might be open to the Royals, Ben's review made me curious about them. I'm over Indy tho. I tried the hard Ace AF1 bushings on my normal AF1s and ended up going back to stock. With that in mind I'm guessing you'd recommend the 8.25" Royals over Thunders/AF1 Lows?

edit: do you think I could get away with 54mm spit tablets on the Royals?

Not only do you get away with 54mm wheels on royals, you're also still getting a great pinch that's closer to thunder than ace. There will be some wheelbite of course but it's more of a soft wheelkiss compared to thunders.

darkstarwallet

« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2022, 02:04:35 PM »
Depends on how tight you ride.

The royals/stock are super loose/carvey out of the gate, very reminiscent of skating aces but with a bit more stability/less squirrelyness.

The forged mindy skate amazing but still feel like Indy (but I like them better that regular forged Indy).

Thing is, nothing skates like Ace, switching to anything can be a let down.

If you have to have some carve I’d go with the royals over thunder every time.

I skate medium loose. I like carving but I'm open to sacrificing some for performance. I have my other setup with the AF1s if I wanna ride something turny. I'm still really interested in Thunders due to the pinch, weight, and height. I creeped the Royal thread here and people were comparing the pinch to the Aces. (edit: didnt see meth's post lol)

The problem is I want all of them. Lmao. Gun to my head I'd probably choose the AF1 lows with hards just since it's what I know but I'm really tempted to get Thunder lights for the tech.