Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 145955 times)

rob, GT and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1230 on: May 04, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »
Actually you are right, risers indeed.

I’m curious why he does this? Still makes me want to try it, with the two top bushings as well.

It is curious that he rides 147s, but then spreads out the wheels, and raises the height (which is the defining characteristic of 147s)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1231 on: May 04, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
8" trucks work great on an 8.25", however, I don't see the advantage of 147s and pushing out the wheels with washers (other than weight)..just ride 148 cast if you don't want magic carpet? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The lower top and bottom, clearly pull in the wheelbase/effect the geometry.

FWIW I've been running bones mediums (provided washer under the bottom bushing) in 147s with no issue at all, probably the best feeling thunders I've ridden in a long time (for the record, ages ago I ran 147 TI, with bones softs on an 8.25" Real SE before they decks hit market)...the shorter bottom does tilt the hanger in, shortening the 'thunder wheelbase'.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1232 on: May 04, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »
8" trucks work great on an 8.25", however, I don't see the advantage of 147s and pushing out the wheels with washers (other than weight)..just ride 148 cast if you don't want magic carpet? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FWIW I've been running bones mediums (provided washer under the bottom bushing) in 147s with no issue at all, probably the best feeling thunders I've ridden in a long time (for the record, ages ago I ran 147 TI, with bones softs on an 8.25" Real SE before they decks hit market)...the shorter bottom does tilt the hanger in, shortening the 'thunder wheelbase'.

I super agree with 8” trucks on 8.25” boards. I think more than anything I can just stick to 8” trucks and I’m better off, in general.

147s are really excellent. If I replace my bushings it’s going to be bones hards. Thunders turn quick, I love the pop, just need help not wheelbiting as much. And it turns out…I skate better with tighter trucks. Well, some stuff gets more difficult, the tighter I go, but for most of my flatground bs, tighter is better

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1233 on: May 04, 2023, 04:23:23 PM »
I’m wondering if Ishod was doing this before 148s existed and just doesn’t want to change.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1234 on: May 04, 2023, 05:33:58 PM »
I’m wondering if Ishod was doing this before 148s existed and just doesn’t want to change.

If his madness works, don't fix it!

Expand Quote

[close]

I super agree with 8” trucks on 8.25” boards. I think more than anything I can just stick to 8” trucks and I’m better off, in general.

147s are really excellent. If I replace my bushings it’s going to be bones hards. Thunders turn quick, I love the pop, just need help not wheelbiting as much. And it turns out…I skate better with tighter trucks. Well, some stuff gets more difficult, the tighter I go, but for most of my flatground bs, tighter is better

Having switched back to an 8.125 and then swapping 148s to 147s (tighter than I usually ride) my game pick up damn fast!

We'll see if there is a big diff going back to 8" royals (only ridden 149/144s) swapping ACE hards, I wouldn't mind lesser wheelbite; even with bones meds in 147s (which if you are on the fence and worried about geo, don't be) I'm still getting pitched now and again...bones hards would be too hard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1235 on: May 04, 2023, 05:57:24 PM »
Actually you are right, risers indeed.

I’m curious why he does this? Still makes me want to try it, with the two top bushings as well.

He said he wanted to grind a rail that was up against a wall and needed his axles in more. 148s were not out yet and 149s too wide. Wanted the pop of the normal truck so he eventually put risers on.

blueskynoise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1236 on: May 05, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »

You used the Bones flat washer or the stock Thunder washer on bottom? I tried to keep the stock washer on bottom but could barely get the nut on (brand new kingpin). Tried using the stock thunder bushings for 2 weeks but they didn’t agree with me at all. Bones mediums working just fine with the flat washer on top. First set of thunders since probably 2007 and I’m really liking them so far coming off ACE. Trying to limit my number of slams this summer.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1237 on: May 05, 2023, 12:10:18 PM »
You could use the stock cupped top washer as the bottom on flat so there isn't as much overhang. My friend has ridden Bones/Thunders for a decade and always does the stock top washer on bottom and Bones washer on top during winter, swaps them around during Summer

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1238 on: May 05, 2023, 11:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You used the Bones flat washer or the stock Thunder washer on bottom? I tried to keep the stock washer on bottom but could barely get the nut on (brand new kingpin). Tried using the stock thunder bushings for 2 weeks but they didn’t agree with me at all. Bones mediums working just fine with the flat washer on top. First set of thunders since probably 2007 and I’m really liking them so far coming off ACE. Trying to limit my number of slams this summer.

Bones washer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 11:18:28 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1239 on: May 11, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
Due to the madness I setup some 149s and figured since the bones were working so well I’d move them over; so I pop these off and lo and behold, I was running two bones tops in one of my trucks (top and bottom in the other).

I couldn’t tell the difference and there was no indication/nothing felt weird or anything.

However, because of the lower bottom bushing, the hanger was pushed forward, this was evident by the pivot pushing hard on the pivot cup and starting to deform the cup, so much so that the plate/pivot cup ‘rim’ was starting to cut into the pivot cup.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1240 on: May 11, 2023, 10:41:35 AM »
It might look weird, but reusing the stock top washer as the bottom might help preserve the geo for your cups. That's how my buddy does it and never seems to have issues.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1241 on: May 11, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
Does your buddy run two bones tops?  Because that was the issue…as noted above, I am using the bones washer on the bottom, stock thunder washer isn't much thicker, if at all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:32:19 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1242 on: May 11, 2023, 12:44:58 PM »
Sorry I mis-read. I thought you meant the absence of a bottom washer was causing the issue as well as the 2 tops making it worse. I had assumed even a normal bottom was causing it.

He did try it for a bit cuz of Ishod, but doesn't like his trucks that loose on center.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1243 on: May 12, 2023, 09:25:06 AM »
Sorry I mis-read. I thought you meant the absence of a bottom washer was causing the issue as well as the 2 tops making it worse. I had assumed even a normal bottom was causing it.

He did try it for a bit cuz of Ishod, but doesn't like his trucks that loose on center.
this is exactly what I didn't like about the loose conversion kit for Ventures; but i didn't know how to describe it lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1244 on: May 12, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is exactly what I didn't like about the loose conversion kit for Ventures; but i didn't know how to describe it lol

Ya it throws me off cuz I expect the board to turn way and being loose on center doesn't make me wheelbite. But listening to Ishod explain his setup it sounds like the washers bind before he bites and he likes that top wiggle.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1245 on: May 12, 2023, 10:04:46 AM »
How come you guys are changing the stock bushings on Thunders? I think they look and feel sick as fuck!

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1246 on: May 12, 2023, 10:08:29 AM »
How come you guys are changing the stock bushings on Thunders? I think they look and feel sick as fuck!
I keep my Thunders 147's stock and totally agree that they feel good; I do run the wooden risers tho which I know defeats the purpose of skating the 147s lol

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1247 on: May 12, 2023, 10:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I keep my Thunders 147's stock and totally agree that they feel good; I do run the wooden risers tho which I know defeats the purpose of skating the 147s lol

well it makes it a little more like an indy 139 then and allows you to ride some bigger wheels which is nice

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1248 on: May 17, 2023, 07:00:01 PM »
Any experience with shaving the top bushing down in this thread?
I was thinking about 1.5mm to 2mm shorter top bushing will get me the desired looseness without worrying about the kingpin bolt coming off.
What’s a good technique for this kind of bushing surgery? Or just buy short tops?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1249 on: May 17, 2023, 09:07:22 PM »
I was thinking about 1.5mm to 2mm shorter top bushing will get me the desired looseness without worrying about the kingpin bolt coming off.
What’s a good technique for this kind of bushing surgery? Or just buy short tops?

Yep, plenty, It works fine (I've sanded mine, be sure to rotate and go slow to make it even); after a while I said fuck it and have a number of low tops now (NFG/ACE) if I even feel the need to run thunders.

IpathCats

« Reply #1250 on: May 24, 2023, 06:13:54 AM »
Lights vs hollow lights vs titaniums?

how big is the difference?

How does the weight compare to indy titaniums?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1251 on: May 24, 2023, 06:17:21 AM »

my friend uses 2 top bushings to get the turning the way he wants it for thunders. that would lower your overall height a bit in there because i think the barrels are slightly taller than the cones.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1252 on: May 24, 2023, 07:46:55 AM »

Titanium Lights are right at 300g and Indy Forged Ti are around 330g depending on size. Thunder Hollow Lights range from 325-330 depending on size.

They all feel too light to me personally.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1253 on: May 24, 2023, 08:05:31 AM »

I skated all three variants of Thunders 147s.
Weights for one truck are :
- Lights, around 315g
- Hollow Lights around 300g
- Titanium Lights around 287g

If you compare them to Indy trucks of the same size and characteristics, Indy trucks are noticeable heavier at first.
After session or two you won't notice difference any more.

IpathCats

« Reply #1254 on: May 24, 2023, 10:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Titanium Lights are right at 300g and Indy Forged Ti are around 330g depending on size. Thunder Hollow Lights range from 325-330 depending on size.

They all feel too light to me personally.

Expand Quote

[close]

I skated all three variants of Thunders 147s.
Weights for one truck are :
- Lights, around 315g
- Hollow Lights around 300g
- Titanium Lights around 287g

If you compare them to Indy trucks of the same size and characteristics, Indy trucks are noticeable heavier at first.
After session or two you won't notice difference any more.

thanks guys

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1255 on: May 24, 2023, 03:01:30 PM »
Thunder and Venture made in Mexico now.

I know it's been talked about before, but I haven't seen a Made In Mexico sticker on them until now.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1256 on: May 24, 2023, 04:22:38 PM »
Haven't people always said the forged and/or hollow stuff was made in china? So that would be a pretty sick change from china to mexico.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 473
« Reply #1257 on: May 25, 2023, 03:12:11 AM »
Haven't people always said the forged and/or hollow stuff was made in china? So that would be a pretty sick change from china to mexico.

Great point, fully agree with this.

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1258 on: May 26, 2023, 06:54:38 PM »
Just bought some 148 team hollow raws and they weight about 337g. I couldn't find the weight on these anywhere so figured I would post it here.

Currently on 147 lights and wanted to size up to 8.25"/8.38" boards. Hopefully the height doesn't take too long to get used to.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
« Reply #1259 on: May 26, 2023, 06:59:09 PM »
Think I'm going to get some 161s finally. Been feeling Thunder more than Ace since returning to skateboarding after a forced break, which is interesting.