Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146106 times)

al_cvbrera

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1380 on: July 19, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
my front pivot cup got torn up somehow, which usually never happens. anyway, looking for a quick fix as i don’t have spare thunder pivot cups, i used a pivot cup from a set of ace af1’s i don’t skate anymore. replaced the front pivot cup with ace pivots. everything is thunder except for the front pivot cup.

had my second day with this quick “modification” and i can definitely say that the turn, even with just one replacement pivot cup, has positively changed. i get deeper turns, bs crooks pinch right into place, etc.

one thing i did find though is that no matter how much i tighten down the bushings, it still has a deeper turn on the front truck compared to if i was still running the thunder pivot cup.

the ace pivot cup fits fairly alright in the baseplate with just a little bit of it sticking out. however, the pivot cup itself is too wide for the thunder hangar and i notice a bit of play/wiggle when i move them with my hands. not a perfect fit, but fits good enough for now.

to my surprise, i actually like it.

just a little bit less stable, but so much more carvy.

on team hollow lights btw, the ones with the cast baseplate.
[close]

Yo I did the exact same thing yesterday with my front pivot! Went to replace it and found a loose cup in my spares box and didn’t realise it had fallen out of a af1 baseplate I had lying in there. Chucked it in my front 151 teams and, voila! carving around like a madman now. But seriously, noticed a bit more turn, looser for sure, feels like riptides in thunders which I reckon if you run risers gets pretty close to ace levels of carve.

pretty amazing how just switching out one pivot cup, let alone the front truck pivot cup, can really change the feel of the truck. if they feel this different with just one pivot cup switched out, i wonder how much more with both 🤔

the only thing stopping me is i like the stability of thunders, i don’t wanna compromise that too much. oh and potentially warping the actual metal pivot itself on both trucks, too.

only time will tell if they actually do warp the metal. we shall see!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1381 on: July 20, 2023, 09:58:25 AM »
Ace cups are squishier so that makes sense same thing happens if you toss a Riptide in, but neither last quite as long as a harder cup.

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1382 on: July 28, 2023, 05:45:23 AM »
What washers are supposed to be on the top of thunders? I have a set of thunders that I got second hand so I have no idea what bushings or washers are on there but I'm getting some washer bite on the hanger from the top washers and that don't seem right.

It also might explain why I like these trucks less than my others. They seem stiff and don't seem to turn very well and maybe that's because they're not able to lean as far as they could if I had the right washer on there, maybe??

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1383 on: July 28, 2023, 06:06:21 AM »
What washers are supposed to be on the top of thunders? I have a set of thunders that I got second hand so I have no idea what bushings or washers are on there but I'm getting some washer bite on the hanger from the top washers and that don't seem right.

It also might explain why I like these trucks less than my others. They seem stiff and don't seem to turn very well and maybe that's because they're not able to lean as far as they could if I had the right washer on there, maybe??

My stock thunders look the same. It's normal, but I need to pinch really hard to get there (crooks)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1384 on: July 28, 2023, 06:59:26 AM »
I mean, you could just loosen the kingpin nut seeing as how you have a couple threads showing. My Thunders have those marks and turn fine

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1385 on: July 28, 2023, 11:44:44 AM »
Anyone using thunders for transition? Using 96a bushings, Already tried indys but when you crank them down they stop turning at all, aces with the same bushings feels stable at first but way to surfy going fast. Considering that I want a stable truck that carve a little but above all still stable with harder bushings, does thunder checks that list?
:p

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1386 on: July 28, 2023, 11:53:29 AM »
Currently riding thunder 147's hollow/forged. I put the bones medium bushings in them and I am done with bones bushings. I don't ride loose or tight. Right in the middle. I'm 150-160 lbs. Every bones bushings i've skated has blown out. Either the bottom piece cracks or the bushing starts to fold over it. I put some indy stocks orange bushings in them and have a decent experience.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #1387 on: July 28, 2023, 12:11:59 PM »
Anyone using thunders for transition? Using 96a bushings, Already tried indys but when you crank them down they stop turning at all, aces with the same bushings feels stable at first but way to surfy going fast. Considering that I want a stable truck that carve a little but above all still stable with harder bushings, does thunder checks that list?

I wouldn't ride harder than stock on Thunders especially when skating round wall transition. A riser pad can help give you more leverage, quickening and deepening the turn.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1388 on: July 28, 2023, 01:11:44 PM »
That doesn't sound like thunders at all. You might want to try ventures instead.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1389 on: July 28, 2023, 01:21:27 PM »
Bledsoe skates Burnside with Thunders as does Cody Lockwood.

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #1390 on: July 28, 2023, 02:46:28 PM »

idk, where to get smaller washers, sorry. i'd try the bones flat washers or find some like them from a hardware store if you're binding like that. i had some 161's i was using flat washers on and really liked them.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1391 on: July 28, 2023, 04:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That doesn't sound like thunders at all. You might want to try ventures instead.

Ventures are the more stable truck but thunders are pretty  stable, def more stable than Indy’s. Jimmy Wilkins rides Thunders, seems to work for him

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1392 on: July 28, 2023, 04:49:20 PM »
I’m going to assume Jimmy Wilkins like most vert skaters runs insanely tight trucks….

I do subscribe to your thoughts on Venture being a better option. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1393 on: July 28, 2023, 05:10:40 PM »

From doing a lot of swap and trade of second hand parts, I notice that however the previous owner set up the trucks, they will have certain things happen from that, eg tightened down bushings are squashed and just don't rebound as well as others, which could be the case here for you.

Even taking everything apart and checking over the bushings, wax the pivot point of the hanger and clean off the bushings, which then will often make things feel way more "normal" to me, especially if a set of trucks doesn't feel like it turns as it should.

Not sure what else you have on hand in the way of other spare parts, but you could swap over washers from some other trucks and try those on the Thunders instead, just as an option.  Like all sets of trucks, the top washer is smaller than the bottom washer.

Most skate shops should have some spare washers too, or at least all the bushing kits have washers with them, be it the Thunder rebuild kit, or Indy bushing kits - those washers especially are very flat, compared to some of the deeper washers that make the sort of contact with the hanger that you are showing in the picture.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

skatebruh

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1394 on: July 28, 2023, 05:28:22 PM »

Those might be the stock washers. It's supposed to do that so you get less wheelbite. If you're heavy enough, the washers eventually bend and allow the truck to turn a bit more.

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #1395 on: July 28, 2023, 10:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those might be the stock washers. It's supposed to do that so you get less wheelbite. If you're heavy enough, the washers eventually bend and allow the truck to turn a bit more.

imo, washers are not supposed to do that in the hanger. does it happen, sure (venture & thunder)? but it's not something that is designed into any truck, more of a flaw if anything.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2023, 10:30:14 PM »
Thunders do that a lot, atleast for me. Never affected my skating to be honest.

Bold

« Reply #1397 on: July 29, 2023, 05:38:20 AM »

imo, washers are not supposed to do that in the hanger. does it happen, sure (venture & thunder)? but it's not something that is designed into any truck, more of a flaw if anything.
[/quote]

I'm with you on that. I don't think the washer shouldn't be hitting the hanger.
Also I wonder how much the washer bite affects the wheel bite since they happen on opposite sides. The wheel bite side is squishing down on the wheel bite side of the bottom bushing but the washer is biting on the opposite side. The washer bite may prevent some range of motion on the wheelbite side but given enough pressure the bottom bushing on the wheel bite side is just going to squish and wheel bite, isn't it?

Anyway, I think Indy top washers are smaller. I might try some of those on there and see what it feels like.

Still not my favorite trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1398 on: July 29, 2023, 08:52:54 AM »
It is by design- Thunder, Venture, Slappy, Theeve, and even Krux do it. It can't not happen and still occasionally does on certain Indy's even.

The shitty part about Thunder and Venture is it does it so hard it kills your shitty bushings

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #1399 on: July 29, 2023, 08:56:51 AM »
LebowskisRug is correct. I think I even remember reading somewhere that Stage 10 had intentional washer bind to reduce wheel bite. I used to enjoy wearing in the yolk and breaking down some clearance.

Bold

« Reply #1400 on: July 29, 2023, 11:58:48 AM »
It is by design- Thunder, Venture, Slappy, Theeve, and even Krux do it. It can't not happen and still occasionally does on certain Indy's even.

The shitty part about Thunder and Venture is it does it so hard it kills your shitty bushings

Ha. What are your favorite bushings for thunders? Mine aren't completely blown out but they are a bit misshapen and buying some new ones would give me an excuse to go down to the skate shop.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 12:29:15 PM by Bold »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1401 on: July 29, 2023, 12:59:49 PM »
Unfortunately my favorite are the stock ones

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1402 on: July 29, 2023, 01:07:10 PM »
I finally managed to hammer the broken kingpins out of my forged plates and put regular mini logo kingpins in. They're a bit longer, which sucks in terms of clearance (still totally ok), but actually feels amazing to be able to ride thunders loose without the nut falling off.

Bold

« Reply #1403 on: July 29, 2023, 04:58:37 PM »
Unfortunately my favorite are the stock ones
Well, the local shop only had independent 90 durometer double cone bushings so I went with orange independent cone bottom and blue tops sort of like the ace regular bushing setup except for the shape.

I hate how floppy new bushings are.

Dou_02

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1404 on: July 31, 2023, 01:47:46 PM »
Thunder std148 on real 1/8 risers (thunder version)

Im honestly very surprised on how well thunder standards feel on wooden risers compared to indy hollow 144 stds.
 I need a 55mm height truck but have never ran thunders with risers even tho they were my first trucks 10 years ago

They turn 90% as well as indys but actually give me much needed precision on a lot of grinds and manuals. I also prefer the way normal trucks sound compared to hollow ones, and the thunders weigh pretty much the same as the hollow indy 144 stds.

This is the first time that thunder bushings haven’t cracked  on me and i’m 6’1 165 ( granted I was pushing 240 at one point)

I’m glad that I don’t have to do any frakensteining on the thunder bushings and can ride them with the nut flush
Before+ After 1 week
Previous 144 shown (rear 1.5 thread, front 1)
L)

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1405 on: July 31, 2023, 04:39:35 PM »
Thunder std148 on real 1/8 risers (thunder version)

Im honestly very surprised on how well thunder standards feel on wooden risers compared to indy hollow 144 stds.
 I need a 55mm height truck but have never ran thunders with risers even tho they were my first trucks 10 years ago

They turn 90% as well as indys but actually give me much needed precision on a lot of grinds and manuals. I also prefer the way normal trucks sound compared to hollow ones, and the thunders weigh pretty much the same as the hollow indy 144 stds.

This is the first time that thunder bushings haven’t cracked  on me and i’m 6’1 165 ( granted I was pushing 240 at one point)

I’m glad that I don’t have to do any frakensteining on the thunder bushings and can ride them with the nut flush
Before+ After 1 week
Previous 144 shown (rear 1.5 thread, front 1)
L)
good stuff. this is always the goal, riding trucks stock bushings, nut flush and finding that nice feel. hso you weighed 165 the whole time on em? Always been curious about thunders with risers, as I weigh more (205 ish)  and the wheelbite thing was real with them. What size wheels?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #1406 on: August 01, 2023, 05:32:34 AM »
Anyone using thunders for transition?

Mitchie Brusco rides Thunder 151s on Mega Ramp + Vert... so that tells me that Thunders are an excellent truck for Stability when it comes to transition skating. I am finding them a lot easier to do mini ramp / quarter pipe skating on personally. For someone who is not as strong on transition.

What you don't see typically is pool / "Park" contest skaters riding Thunders. I don't see any reason it couldn't work for that type of skating, but I feel like those type of skaters want a very surfy feel. most of them are Indy riders because they have the market kinda cornered on that type of skating, but I see Ace riders like Ronnie Sandoval who make the trucks look amazing in park.

Chris Miller, Rick McCrank, Jon Fitzgerald skates Thunders and they all rip transition

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1407 on: August 01, 2023, 11:10:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone using thunders for transition?
[close]

Mitchie Brusco rides Thunder 151s on Mega Ramp + Vert... so that tells me that Thunders are an excellent truck for Stability when it comes to transition skating. I am finding them a lot easier to do mini ramp / quarter pipe skating on personally. For someone who is not as strong on transition.

What you don't see typically is pool / "Park" contest skaters riding Thunders. I don't see any reason it couldn't work for that type of skating, but I feel like those type of skaters want a very surfy feel. most of them are Indy riders because they have the market kinda cornered on that type of skating, but I see Ace riders like Ronnie Sandoval who make the trucks look amazing in park.

Chris Miller, Rick McCrank, Jon Fitzgerald skates Thunders and they all rip transition
Zion and Ishod ride Thunders.
Not saying Ishod is strictly pool or park, but he can ride everything. Zion would be more the candidate I was thinking.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #1408 on: August 01, 2023, 11:22:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my front pivot cup got torn up somehow, which usually never happens. anyway, looking for a quick fix as i don’t have spare thunder pivot cups, i used a pivot cup from a set of ace af1’s i don’t skate anymore. replaced the front pivot cup with ace pivots. everything is thunder except for the front pivot cup.

had my second day with this quick “modification” and i can definitely say that the turn, even with just one replacement pivot cup, has positively changed. i get deeper turns, bs crooks pinch right into place, etc.

one thing i did find though is that no matter how much i tighten down the bushings, it still has a deeper turn on the front truck compared to if i was still running the thunder pivot cup.

the ace pivot cup fits fairly alright in the baseplate with just a little bit of it sticking out. however, the pivot cup itself is too wide for the thunder hangar and i notice a bit of play/wiggle when i move them with my hands. not a perfect fit, but fits good enough for now.

to my surprise, i actually like it.

just a little bit less stable, but so much more carvy.

on team hollow lights btw, the ones with the cast baseplate.
[close]

Yo I did the exact same thing yesterday with my front pivot! Went to replace it and found a loose cup in my spares box and didn’t realise it had fallen out of a af1 baseplate I had lying in there. Chucked it in my front 151 teams and, voila! carving around like a madman now. But seriously, noticed a bit more turn, looser for sure, feels like riptides in thunders which I reckon if you run risers gets pretty close to ace levels of carve.
[close]

pretty amazing how just switching out one pivot cup, let alone the front truck pivot cup, can really change the feel of the truck. if they feel this different with just one pivot cup switched out, i wonder how much more with both 🤔

the only thing stopping me is i like the stability of thunders, i don’t wanna compromise that too much. oh and potentially warping the actual metal pivot itself on both trucks, too.

only time will tell if they actually do warp the metal. we shall see!

update: they’re fine. literally can’t even tell the difference now. prob cause i got used to them. to put it simply: if it works, it works

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #1409 on: August 01, 2023, 12:33:43 PM »
you can get more of a surfy feel by putting rounder edge wheels like classics on as well. the classic fulls would probably be ideal id think or a radial full even.