Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720632 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #6000 on: April 05, 2024, 06:47:55 AM »
Skated my local park after work yesterday, highly impressed with how fast I was going, my 97s are sluggish there. Tailslides and nose slides worked well on everything. Only complaint was we have this bench that is metal edged and sometimes I would stick on that. So far this wheel works almost everywhere.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #6001 on: April 05, 2024, 09:11:24 AM »
Im interested how these compare to the 97s. To me it seems like the sentiment for the 93s is really positive while being very average for the 97s. 

As a 99a user that dabbles with 97s due to Pacific NW crust, I tend to agree with the line I always hear that "97s are better on rough ground, but not great for everything else".

For those of you who have already skated both, do the 93s feel faster on smooth ground and slide better than the 97s?

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6002 on: April 05, 2024, 11:03:20 AM »
Im interested how these compare to the 97s. To me it seems like the sentiment for the 93s is really positive while being very average for the 97s. 

As a 99a user that dabbles with 97s due to Pacific NW crust, I tend to agree with the line I always hear that "97s are better on rough ground, but not great for everything else".

For those of you who have already skated both, do the 93s feel faster on smooth ground and slide better than the 97s?

Interested in this take, as well. I skate slick tranny and really dig 97s.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #6003 on: April 05, 2024, 12:40:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thats a good point, i do tend to throw on the 97s when i skate the local skatelite indoor park

Interested in this take, as well. I skate slick tranny and really dig 97s.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6004 on: April 06, 2024, 04:23:51 PM »

Good wheel so far, has a session at a parking garage and everything felt nice.

To those that don't like Dragons/X Formula, you probably aren't going to like these because they feel very similar to these IMO. Still need more time on them though.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6005 on: April 06, 2024, 05:29:59 PM »

Good wheel so far, has a session at a parking garage and everything felt nice.

To those that don't like Dragons/X Formula, you probably aren't going to like these because they feel very similar to these IMO. Still need more time on them though.
I tried and was disappointed by dragons and I really liked my first and second sessions on the soft sliders. The sound is turned up and they dont screech to a halt on rails and transition coping. I might be sold.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #6006 on: April 06, 2024, 07:54:34 PM »
Set up some 93a 54mm Radials today. No session. Just did some powerslides in the street. They feel nice. The soft feeling will be soemthing I’ll have to get used to.

They slide like Dragon’s but more controlled, which I like. I threw a couple powerslides on smoother sidewalk, and they still seemed to slide ok.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6007 on: April 06, 2024, 08:39:06 PM »
I tried and was disappointed by dragons and I really liked my first and second sessions on the soft sliders. The sound is turned up and they dont screech to a halt on rails and transition coping. I might be sold.

I've ridden each iteration of the dragons/x-formula + 97a F4s (and 99a etc) and found that the x99s were the best of the powell/bones offerings in terms of soft slidable wheels and didn't impacting my tricks (bluntslides specifically). The spits, like the dragons, are not a replacement for 99a spits...but they sure as hell are for those 97a spits. 100%.

Initial first blush/[two separate session] impressions in parking lots (regular/mixed/patched asphalt and some of that beige shit) and curbs (note: I went back to skating x99s since these 93s were announced in prep for these - prior to that 101a spit classics for about 3wks and prior to that mostly dragons/x97s/x99s, x99s since they dropped - and slapped my x97s on a board for comparison's sake, haven't touched them in months)

TL:Don't want to read this wall of text summation:

I'll come back after a week with more skating on them but [to me] they are much closer to the x99s in terms of performance than they are to dragons/x97s, while still doing exactly what dragons and softer x-formulas do; I can't be sure but I think they might just slide a tad better overall (since they don't pinch squeal, i.e., 93a/x97) and sound better doing it (which is a big deal)...I really like how they sound. These are close to what I expected out of x97s / x99s sound-wise

- Bearings slide in just as easy as in dragons/x-formula
- They're whiter than regs spits and have that same 'milky' look the X99s do (they are not brown); but do not have the same 'white' look that the newer white/white spits have (which to me looks sort of blue white vs the yellow white).

- They're smooth - The shock/rattle absorption feels...the same-ish - I'm hard pressed to say if either is 'better' as they both do the job but feel different at doing it (duh they are different brands/formulas); not sure this is capable of being quantified based on all the 'common' variables (board wood [shop], terrain, socks/shoes, height of the tricks, bolts vs sketch, etc.).

- They're still bouncy compared to a spit 99a. I honestly couldn't tell you if they were less or more bouncy [rebound] than my x99s (I don't have dragons on hand anymore but have a feeling they are def less bouncy than dragons as they are less bouncy than the x97s), they all have that soft 'boing' plopping your board down sound; they are not a hard wheel. Landing ollies over things felt they same: softer landings/less jarring.

- They are not gummy like the dragons/x97s (which makes me think they're physically harder or it's just differences in 'formula')
- They do not squeak on pinch grinds like the dragons/x97s - the x99s do not squeak either (this leads me to, again, to think they're actually harder than 93a or it just comes down to the formula).

- Out of the plastic they slide...just as well as the x99s? (caveat here is they are brand new the other wheels are broken in/have that 'street' coating on them you know?). I wouldn't say they slide better or worse just that they feel different - but also the same (I know that's weird but it's that soft wheel slide). 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If anything they sound/feel less smooth/quiet than x97s much closer to the x99s but less muted. Powerslides felt just as 'meh' as the x99s (but for some reason the x97s were really surpassing both today), sure they do it but the feedback just isn't what a harder wheel gives you, you're not going to set any distance records and at the end of the slide you are going to have to pay attention/push as you are not slipping out on these but most likely stick and get pitched.

I still stuck on nose/tail slides like you would do with any wheel and they really felt the same as x99s here...stickier than a 99a spit or harder.

Bluntsides felt pretty much the same as the x99s, as in just not as good as a 99a/101a spit, let alone the king of blunts, the 103a stf V3ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssslide for days. They required the same wax/mental effort as the x99s, really have to focus to get them going vs the get on and goooooooo with harder wheels. Like the x99s I didn't feel like I was getting the full amount of slide based on the speed at which I was going.

- As @camel filters said above, the sound is 'tuned up', they have a different bark all to themselves and for sure higher pitched than dragons/x-formula, no question..I'd say they sound 'crisper' but they don't sound harder...like they have more treble than the bass heavy dragons or x99s...so louder? This is also at play when you are pushing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8UkGV3tnedA?feature=share

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 11:38:18 AM by Xen »

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6008 on: April 07, 2024, 01:04:08 AM »
Thanks for review @Xen , informative shit. Pretty much in line with what I've heard and expected. Might pull the trigger on them for Nordic crust once they become available here in Northern Europe.

In line with what you implied, my X97s will probably be left pretty much unskated, more so now that the Soft Sliders have entered the game. They're not gonna replace the awesome X99s but as for crusty-as-fuck spots, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Soft Sliders more than Dragons. The latter are just too sticky, gummy and silent for me.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #6009 on: April 07, 2024, 10:35:08 PM »
i might be in the minority here but i really like f4 97s, only had classics though. i have no issues doing nose/tailslides on them, they powerslide and revert well enough for me, i don’t feel that they’re slow or gummy. are these 93s similar to those as far as ledges/rails go or are they more like dragons?

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6010 on: April 08, 2024, 01:19:09 AM »
Do Spitfire product reps browse slap? Or is there a contact/comments page to ask them a question?

Was wondering if they're ever likely to make a wheel bearing off-set wheel that increases hangar width. The lockins don't do this as far as I'm aware.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6011 on: April 08, 2024, 01:28:55 AM »
Do Spitfire product reps browse slap? Or is there a contact/comments page to ask them a question?

Was wondering if they're ever likely to make a wheel bearing off-set wheel that increases hangar width. The lockins don't do this as far as I'm aware.

From DLXSF.COM there is a link on the main page, top right for comments, feedback, etc.

https://www.dlxsf.com/now-its-your-turn/

NOW IT’S YOUR TURN
TELL US WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, what we should be doing, what we did good or what we messed up. We’ll make every effort to hit you back. This gig is a two-way deal and your input and feedback is not only desired it is f%&ing mandatory. Thanks for being a part.

The Lock in wheel did that in a few older sets I had, but I think they might have changed the shape of them, so haven't seen any for a while.

Even the Lock In Full is offset, so the "inside" Tablet shaped edge is a couple of mm less than the "outside" Conical shaped edge.

If you are after a narrow wheel, any of the smaller sizes, or the Tablet shape, or even OG Classic is more narrow in overall profile, compared to some others.

I have used an angle grinder to reshape wheels on occasion, usually just to round off the corners, but I have also made some wheels a lot more asymmetrical too, when someone wanted it.

Lastly, one thing that some people have done with various wheels over the years is add extra washers to the inside, up to about five or so, put the wheel on which ever way you want, then put the axle nut on back to front, so the nyloc is on first.

The roller skate people often do this with skateboard wheels - lots use Spitfires - but as their axles are shorter and roller skate wheels are thin fitting, the nuts don't fit on as usual, so they always have to put the nuts on back to front.

It works better if the nut has been put all the way on the axle first, just to get the axle thread going, but once on, it does not come off, so you can run wheels with more washers to give more hanger width.

I just tried this (for fun) with 144s on an 8.5 board, then 149s on an 8.75 board, all with Lock In Full wheels, so the wider wheel completely covered the nut, but it works just as well for anyone.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DonkeyRhubarb

« Reply #6012 on: April 08, 2024, 02:13:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From DLXSF.COM there is a link on the main page, top right for comments, feedback, etc.

https://www.dlxsf.com/now-its-your-turn/

NOW IT’S YOUR TURN
TELL US WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, what we should be doing, what we did good or what we messed up. We’ll make every effort to hit you back. This gig is a two-way deal and your input and feedback is not only desired it is f%&ing mandatory. Thanks for being a part.

The Lock in wheel did that in a few older sets I had, but I think they might have changed the shape of them, so haven't seen any for a while.

Even the Lock In Full is offset, so the "inside" Tablet shaped edge is a couple of mm less than the "outside" Conical shaped edge.

If you are after a narrow wheel, any of the smaller sizes, or the Tablet shape, or even OG Classic is more narrow in overall profile, compared to some others.

I have used an angle grinder to reshape wheels on occasion, usually just to round off the corners, but I have also made some wheels a lot more asymmetrical too, when someone wanted it.

Lastly, one thing that some people have done with various wheels over the years is add extra washers to the inside, up to about five or so, put the wheel on which ever way you want, then put the axle nut on back to front, so the nyloc is on first.

The roller skate people often do this with skateboard wheels - lots use Spitfires - but as their axles are shorter and roller skate wheels are thin fitting, the nuts don't fit on as usual, so they always have to put the nuts on back to front.

It works better if the nut has been put all the way on the axle first, just to get the axle thread going, but once on, it does not come off, so you can run wheels with more washers to give more hanger width.

I just tried this (for fun) with 144s on an 8.5 board, then 149s on an 8.75 board, all with Lock In Full wheels, so the wider wheel completely covered the nut, but it works just as well for anyone.

Thanks for the info. I will shoot them a message.

I'd like a Spitfire equivalent of a Nano Cubic. My favourite wheels are Spit OG classics, and then probably Conical fulls, but I'm back using Nano Cubic wheels just because of the truck widening. I am OCD about edge of wheels lining up exactly with edge of board, and my 169s with nano cubic and 9 inch antihero align exactly. If use my OG classics I get sufficient magic carpet that it affects stability and just doesn't look or feel right. I could try switching out my 169s for Ace 77s and go back to OG classics, but that would be more of a weight increase than I want, and would steal more of my 15.2 wheelbase than indys.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
  • sup dog
« Reply #6013 on: April 08, 2024, 05:11:47 AM »

-..I'd say they sound 'crisper' but they don't sound harder...like they have more treble than the bass heavy dragons or x99s...so louder? This is also at play when you are pushing.
@Xen
That’s all I needed to read. Bless you.

@Mbrimson88
Nuts on backwards? What is this sorcery? :o  that just feels wrong. Haha
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6014 on: April 08, 2024, 08:26:20 AM »

They had made a Radial offset wheel that was apart of the Grimplestix Freestyle completes a couple years back. 

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
« Reply #6015 on: April 08, 2024, 09:34:33 AM »
Some of you are going to be stoked... looks like they are re-formulating the 97As.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6016 on: April 08, 2024, 11:32:02 AM »
What will the improvement be with the reformulation? Anymore info?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6017 on: April 08, 2024, 11:54:56 AM »
Very little info. Just saw the Fall drop 1 catalog.

“Reformulated for slide and speed.” Radial shape in 55 and 57. Pedro Delfino model. I know he digs the current 97a.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
  • sup dog
« Reply #6018 on: April 08, 2024, 01:16:40 PM »
It’s gotta be the 93a but in 97a formula, right? That makes the most sense
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #6019 on: April 08, 2024, 01:51:28 PM »
I just got a set of the 93a Classics. What is the most interesting about them is the packaging. You know how the backside of the cardboard insert has the wheel types and sizes? Well, they finally updated it. Classics. OG Classics. Conical. Conical Full. Radial. Radial Full. Lock-Ins. Lock-In Full. They finally removed Radial Slims...and that is a travesty.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6020 on: April 08, 2024, 02:50:08 PM »

Exactly what I wanna know

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #6021 on: April 08, 2024, 02:58:07 PM »
Expand Quote

-..I'd say they sound 'crisper' but they don't sound harder...like they have more treble than the bass heavy dragons or x99s...so louder? This is also at play when you are pushing.
[close]
@Xen
That’s all I needed to read. Bless you.

@Mbrimson88
Nuts on backwards? What is this sorcery? :o  that just feels wrong. Haha

Ha yeah, it was a trip and something I would never normally do on any of my own setups, but some others do it quite often, so I had to see if or how it worked.

Turns out it does, but I would never want to have the back of the nut hit me in the shin or anywhere else, hence the super wide wheel which totally covers the nut in the test runs.

People who skated that board didn't notice or feel any difference, but when you look at it, you can totally trip out on it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6022 on: April 08, 2024, 03:38:49 PM »

“Reformulated for slide and speed.” Radial shape in 55 and 57. Pedro Delfino model. I know he digs the current 97a.

Excellent. The 93s are heaps better than the current 97a and on par with the harder x-formulas; that 'thane harder @97a? Gonna be the sweet spot and might give the 99a spits a run for their money...and for sure out feel/sound the x99s.

Now make them in a radial slim 52mm please =D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:49:14 PM by Xen »

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #6023 on: April 08, 2024, 06:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated 97a 53 classics for about a month and just skated the 93a 54 radial for about 2 hours.  Better in smoothness, slide and holding speed.  I skated them on rough asphalt and a super smooth concrete basketball court and they skated well all around.  I’m sold on them over the 97’s if you like to skate everything.

Zane

« Reply #6024 on: April 08, 2024, 06:40:38 PM »

Can you post or link the catalogue?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6025 on: April 08, 2024, 06:43:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I skated 97a 53 classics for about a month and just skated the 93a 54 radial for about 2 hours.  Better in smoothness, slide and holding speed.  I skated them on rough asphalt and a super smooth concrete basketball court and they skated well all around.  I’m sold on them over the 97’s if you like to skate everything.

I’ve skated 97a Classics on some crustier stuff. They were good. I was mostly concerned with how the 93a stacked up against 97a, so this is certainly interesting to hear. I’ll give mine the first spin tomorrow. Will report back.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6026 on: April 08, 2024, 06:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Can you post or link the catalogue?

I'm not sure DLX would appreciate that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6027 on: April 08, 2024, 07:16:08 PM »
I just got a set of the 93a Classics. What is the most interesting about them is the packaging. You know how the backside of the cardboard insert has the wheel types and sizes? Well, they finally updated it. Classics. OG Classics. Conical. Conical Full. Radial. Radial Full. Lock-Ins. Lock-In Full. They finally removed Radial Slims...and that is a travesty.

Another drop, another day without Radial Slims.

Spitfire thanking Bones for showing there's a market for softer wheels.

I believe Bones made a better product especially with the X97 / X99, with shapes that are distinct from each other, but were let down by their branding / marketing. Now Sptifire is swooping in to steal their lunch, again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6028 on: April 08, 2024, 07:21:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe Bones made a better product especially with the X97 / X99, with shapes that are distinct from each other, but were let down by their branding / marketing. Now Sptifire is swooping in to steal their lunch, again.

This means we need Powell to produce a Radial
Slim…and then Spitfire will. Eventually.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6029 on: April 08, 2024, 07:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This means we need Powell to produce a Radial
Slim…and then Spitfire will. Eventually.

brb, going to flood Bones' insta with request for a V5 with a rounder edge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m