Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187751 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2640 on: October 22, 2022, 11:51:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Referring to someone or a particular clip as "cool guy" is some of the laziest criticism you can post on these boards. Kevin Rodrigues quit Supreme and posts stories of him watching Fully Flared, Slash & Lizard King. That's the polar opposite of 'cool guy'.
[close]

Maybe that’s the new cool? Supreme is stale as fuck. Everyone and their mom wears that shit. Fully Flared, Slash & Lizard King are so not cool that it’s probably starting to be cool. Maybe he wants to be “edgy and different” which is the vibe I kinda get from him.
[close]
you understand how this sounds right?

I’m not sure. That I’m saying he’s a “cool guy”? For what it’s worth, I like him. I don’t get what’s cool with the youngsters but I don’t have to. If someone wants to be hip and cool and pulls it off, I’m all for it. If it’s being “cool by being uncool” or something else. I don’t want people all to be similar and boring. So I’m not criticizing him. Only criticism of him I could think of is that I want to see more of his skating.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #2641 on: October 22, 2022, 12:45:08 PM »
I think SOTY should be a once in a lifetime deal. Did Chris Cole really deserve a repeat.? The last five winners plus could all be SOTY this year so put the shine on someone new.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #2642 on: October 22, 2022, 03:25:26 PM »
anarchist=fascist

Well, at least you’re in the right thread.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sluggers

« Reply #2643 on: October 22, 2022, 03:33:40 PM »
I think SOTY should be a once in a lifetime deal. Did Chris Cole really deserve a repeat.? The last five winners plus could all be SOTY this year so put the shine on someone new.

Addendum:

The sole criteria for SOTY should not be what ten minute parts you put out in October and November of that year.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #2644 on: October 22, 2022, 05:15:38 PM »
Fred gall didn’t really fit on habitat.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1147
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2645 on: October 22, 2022, 05:25:53 PM »

Where would you have placed him?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #2646 on: October 22, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where would you have placed him?

Coulda stayed on alien, maybe zoo York in the late 90’s/early 00’s, Traffic if he could accept a pay cut…I think habitat was a bit too polished for him in retrospect.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2647 on: October 22, 2022, 10:45:47 PM »
Metal/DLX…

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2251
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2648 on: October 23, 2022, 12:25:33 AM »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2649 on: October 23, 2022, 04:41:21 AM »
anarchist=fascist

kids these days have the wildest ideas

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #2650 on: October 23, 2022, 07:10:15 AM »
Expand Quote
anarchist=fascist
[close]

kids these days have the wildest ideas

Kids and the elderly.
I’m doing my best to picture Grandpa Chomsky heiling Hitler.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

veritas

« Reply #2651 on: October 23, 2022, 12:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Despite Tyshawn's new part, still hope Louie wins it
[close]

i don't get how people can scream SOTYEAR for this part

Because this was clearly his “throwaway” part if he has another one coming plus the supreme video part with Strobeck

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2652 on: October 23, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Because this was clearly his “throwaway” part if he has another one coming plus the supreme video part with Strobeck

Yeah I really haven’t seen that anywhere. It’s clear that this video is part of a SOTY push and his other shit is gonna include kickflipping the subway gap switch flipping those D7. Everyone is responding to that.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #2653 on: October 23, 2022, 03:32:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I really haven’t seen that anywhere. It’s clear that this video is part of a SOTY push and his other shit is gonna include kickflipping the subway gap switch flipping those D7. Everyone is responding to that.

What's d7

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2654 on: October 23, 2022, 03:39:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's d7

I’m mistaken. I just saw the photo and thought “switch flip” but it’s fakie heel. Either way it’s fucked.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #2655 on: October 23, 2022, 04:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What's d7
[close]

I’m mistaken. I just saw the photo and thought “switch flip” but it’s fakie heel. Either way it’s fucked.

Unpopular opinion: A 6 stair shouldn't be called d7. (Why is it called that?)

Here's some history on it:

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2656 on: October 23, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Spanly is my soty

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2657 on: October 23, 2022, 04:32:21 PM »
"a 6 stair"

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2658 on: October 23, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »

It's on Avenue D and 7th Street

I don't have time to read the whole thread so sorry if ABP but rough cuts/raw footage is by far the best way to watch skating. I prefer it 99% of the time even if there are some exceptions.

It conveys the difficulty of the skating better especially if they include them feeling it out and some near makes. Helps put you there with them mentally. Music drowns out the skateboarding sounds which is a huge sacrifice that nobody ever really complains about which is crazy

Street skating is visually impressive enough now where doing quick cuts between clips / overediting just detracts from it. I'd rather see fewer clips presented in a better way with some time to absorb each one than just get beat over the head with two second tricks.

TLDR rough cuts >>> actual parts

sluggers

« Reply #2659 on: October 23, 2022, 04:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't have time to read the whole thread so sorry if ABP but rough cuts/raw footage is by far the best way to watch skating. I prefer it 99% of the time even if there are some exceptions.

It conveys the difficulty of the skating better especially if they include them feeling it out and some near makes. Helps put you there with them mentally. Music drowns out the skateboarding sounds which is a huge sacrifice that nobody ever really complains about which is crazy

Street skating is visually impressive enough now where doing quick cuts between clips / overediting just detracts from it. I'd rather see fewer clips presented in a better way with some time to absorb each one than just get beat over the head with two second tricks.

Watch Rubbish Heap.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #2660 on: October 23, 2022, 05:48:15 PM »
  All these names that get heavy mentions in the hesh transition skating department, Cards, Raven Tershay, Grant Taylor whoever, none of them hold a candle to Peter Hewitt during his 15 or 20 year reign he had. Imo.  I dunno how unpopular of an opinion that is.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #2661 on: October 23, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »
  All these names that get heavy mentions in the hesh transition skating department, Cards, Raven Tershay, Grant Taylor whoever, none of them hold a candle to Peter Hewitt during his 15 or 20 year reign he had. Imo.  I dunno how unpopular of an opinion that is.
Gotta love Hewitt grinds. While I can't necessarily agree with the statement he's definitely in the same group as them. I like em all for different reasons really.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2662 on: October 23, 2022, 09:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gotta love Hewitt grinds. While I can't necessarily agree with the statement he's definitely in the same group as them. I like em all for different reasons really.
I feel Tony Trujillo should be included in that list. Homie was on another level at his peak.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2663 on: October 23, 2022, 09:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I feel Tony Trujillo should be included in that list. Homie was on another level at his peak.
Hewitt is def the ruler and has casual street skills as well, people don't want to give Trujillo props because they have issues with his personality but his ATV ripping is undeniable (take it to his insta like a man if you disagree).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #2664 on: October 24, 2022, 12:15:47 AM »
The cross lock vs toe/heel lock things come up a few times and I usually never cared too much but seen a few too many cross lock 5050s on ledges lately and really not into it. Round rail I get it but ledge get that shit in line.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #2665 on: October 24, 2022, 12:44:45 AM »
The criticism of Sam Smyth over the years is a bit too much when it comes to all things negative re: Crailtap. Rick & Mike should equally be in the discussion, if not more, but due to their stature and how they were viewed as skateboarders they get off lightly.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #2666 on: October 24, 2022, 01:15:48 AM »
 I hope nobody wins SOTY this year.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2667 on: October 24, 2022, 03:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, except for those rough cuts where the filmer blatantly didn't keep any of the footage and it's basically just all the makes from the part with longer rollouts and high fives
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 64
« Reply #2668 on: October 24, 2022, 04:00:07 AM »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #2669 on: October 24, 2022, 04:54:18 AM »
Rough cuts are boring and I have no fucking clue how people sit and watch them