Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 142376 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1860 on: February 16, 2024, 04:30:18 AM »
Thanks for the links, @Mbrimson88 ! I'm in Europe. None of the big German shops I ususally order from have them for quite some time now, as far as I can tell.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1861 on: February 16, 2024, 03:02:37 PM »
Thanks for the links, @Mbrimson88 ! I'm in Europe. None of the big German shops I ususally order from have them for quite some time now, as far as I can tell.

Ha damn of all the places, I don't think I saw any there but it is harder to bring up locations outside of the usual search for shops now - I think location settings actually limit this sort of thing.

Must be the local distro not bringing them in, so maybe message some of the places and ask them, just in case they can order some in the next delivery or whatever.

Doing the search "Thunder bushings 94 Germany" some turn up but are out of stock, eg:

https://www.concretewave.de/Thunder-Truck-Bushings-Premium-Blue-94a_3

Maybe even hit up DLXSF.COM with a question to see if their local distro has any or can get some out to you via whatever means possible.

Just a thought anyway.

Oddly enough the very hard to get Deluxe bushings in green 94 duro are available, but most people put them in Ventures or other trucks, being cylinder, not conical.

https://www.vamos-skateshop.com/en/p/thunder-bushings-94a-green

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1862 on: February 16, 2024, 03:14:37 PM »

Just cause I am a pain as well, would either of these two work for you?

I have both and they are ok - I don't use all the bright washers or nuts from the rebuild kit, just the bushings and pivot cups, or the Indy bushings in conical, which are pretty good too, but they are not the nice ice blue Thunder bushings, so I could easily see myself and others (or you) saying, yeah but no thanks.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/thunder-95a-rebuilt-kit-bushings-blue-2-pack_p38797

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/independent-standard-conical-hard-bushings-black-94a_p83999

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1863 on: February 17, 2024, 03:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have both and they are ok - I don't use all the bright washers or nuts from the rebuild kit, just the bushings and pivot cups, or the Indy bushings in conical, which are pretty good too, but they are not the nice ice blue Thunder bushings, so I could easily see myself and others (or you) saying, yeah but no thanks.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/thunder-95a-rebuilt-kit-bushings-blue-2-pack_p38797

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/independent-standard-conical-hard-bushings-black-94a_p83999

Full on madness, but the rebuild kit bushings indeed look suspiciuos. I've been thinking about them, though. Just couldn't bring myself to pulling the trigger. I mean they look like chalky shit in this pic: https://freedomskateshop.at/products/thunder-rebuild-kit-blue-95d?variant=47185783062867&currency=EUR&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=SKATE&utm_content=Thunder%20Rebuild%20Kit%20Blue%2095D

And w.r.t. the Indys: the fatter Thunder cones simply look more promising. Like the best compromise between the stability of barrels and the quickness of cones.

And, yes, I am a total sucker for the ice blue resp. the standard clear blue.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:09:24 PM by tuesday »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1864 on: February 17, 2024, 10:11:55 AM »
^^ Bottom bushing comes pre-split, rad!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1865 on: February 17, 2024, 10:33:42 AM »
I recently got a set of the 95 duro bushing kit and they feel and look like plastic instead of some squishy gummy like stuff. Felt way too hard for me personally but I know at least one person who swears on them.

The Pig bushings fit really good in Thunders but those are barrel bottoms and you need a slightly larger washer for those. I will try these when I don't like my current bushing setup. So far Indy 92 top and Indy 90 barrel bottom. The Indy 90 bottom bushings get a little bit harder after a few sessions I think?
IG: @flowterspace

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
« Reply #1866 on: February 17, 2024, 01:05:04 PM »
Just had a session on some 151s for the first time in a long time... damn these things grind and pinch so well compared to Ace.... but even with 90a bushings they are way too tight for my tastes and the pop adjustment took a bit of effort. Nose and tail slides were just fine... Great for small wheels and short wheelbase decks.

If the Thunder re-tool is really happening, I might not be able to resist.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1867 on: February 17, 2024, 01:55:09 PM »
Just had a session on some 151s for the first time in a long time... damn these things grind and pinch so well compared to Ace.... but even with 90a bushings they are way too tight for my tastes and the pop adjustment took a bit of effort. Nose and tail slides were just fine... Great for small wheels and short wheelbase decks.

151s on the huffer was my fave.
but. i never huffered with ace.
loved 151s

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1868 on: February 17, 2024, 01:59:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

151s on the huffer was my fave.
but. i never huffered with ace.
loved 151s

Have them on a 8.5" Pop secret Chocolate Twin at the moment. Heavy deck, needed light trucks. (Team hollows)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1869 on: February 17, 2024, 02:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Full on madness, but the rebuild kit bushings indeed look suspiciuos. I've been thinking about them, though. Just couldn't bring myself to pulling the trigger. I mean they look like chalky shit in this pic:

And w.r.t. the Indys: the fatter Thunder cones simply look more promising. Like the best compromise between the stability of barrels and the quickness of cones.

And, yes, I am a total sucker for the ice blue resp. the standard clear blue.

Wow that pic really sucked!

I have seen a few issues with some, but generally from having a lot of them come through my hands, there is nothing wrong with them and they hold up fine.

Message DLX and ask them if anyone has any in country, or if any distro is getting any in for you.

Dkeppel

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1870 on: February 17, 2024, 10:57:47 PM »
I officially prefer the Thunders for my local park, it's really small and sometimes with the Indys the surfy turns aren't quick enough to adjust myself.

The short base plate hasn't bothered me on tail/nose slides yet, it probably helps my wheel are 103a and that there is steel edging on the high and low ledges.

I think tippy was the wrong word, I feel very stable on this setup, I meant a little twitchy and wanted a stronger rebound but I have managed to find a fix for that too, I modified the Bones Medium bottom bushings I had in my draw, and switched out the top bushing. No more twitchyness and much better rebound.

Its maybe not the best bushing setup if your concerned about how your bushings look, and if you don't have a grinder or similar it might take a while to modify a Bone bushing to fit your Thunders properly. I can't speak of longevity yet I've only had 2 short sessions with them, its too dam hot and there is zero shade on the park.

I'm getting a bit of wheel rub but no bite yet  8) Seems like I had nothing to fear from the Thunders.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1871 on: February 18, 2024, 04:54:08 PM »

Kingpin wiggles a bit but I didn’t notice after 1 session.  I put blue loctite on the nut and I marked the top of the kingpin so we’ll see if this loosens up.  Not epoxy, just nut in the baseplate.  90a aftermarket bushings.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1872 on: February 21, 2024, 07:31:42 AM »
Was an indy/ace guy before getting into thunders.

Recently had a board with a 14.5 wb which just felt too long for thunders so i threw the aces back on it.

I couldnt skate it for shit.

Ace turn was fun but god damn, i couldnt pop anything to save my life.

At this point i consider myself a full thunder convert, aside from cruisers/polarizer.

might end back up on indy/ace once i get old and stop popping my board.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #1873 on: February 21, 2024, 07:46:20 AM »

Kingpin wiggles a bit but I didn’t notice after 1 session.  I put blue loctite on the nut and I marked the top of the kingpin so we’ll see if this loosens up.  Not epoxy, just nut in the baseplate.  90a aftermarket bushings.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1874 on: February 21, 2024, 08:31:45 AM »

Recently had a board with a 14.5 wb which just felt too long for thunders so i threw the aces back on it.

At this point i consider myself a full thunder convert, aside from cruisers/polarizer.

I spent the past 6 months or so skating Aces after 3+ years of Thunder. I randomly decided to skate my setup with Thunders that had been sitting untouched and it was crazy how much better I skated on it. Tricks were so much more consistent and popping and landing just felt "right". Even on a board with a 14.5" wheelbase that I expected the Thunders to not work well with felt better than the Aces.

Aces are fun to skate and I'm holding on to them to skate on occasion but I'm back on Thunders full time and won't be changing that probably ever.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #1875 on: February 21, 2024, 09:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I spent the past 6 months or so skating Aces after 3+ years of Thunder. I randomly decided to skate my setup with Thunders that had been sitting untouched and it was crazy how much better I skated on it. Tricks were so much more consistent and popping and landing just felt "right". Even on a board with a 14.5" wheelbase that I expected the Thunders to not work well with felt better than the Aces.

Aces are fun to skate and I'm holding on to them to skate on occasion but I'm back on Thunders full time and won't be changing that probably ever.

I'm right there with ya.

I'd recommend trying the indy stage 4's on a cruiser setup if you havent already. I feel like they turn even better than ace.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #1876 on: February 22, 2024, 07:35:56 PM »
I threw some hollow 151 hangers on team baseplates for an 8.5 deck I got for Xmas and noticed the wheelbase was pushed out farther than expected, around +3.4". While not a huge deal, it's more than the +3.125" and +3.25" that I expect from Thunder team and forged baseplates respectively. To be sure, I setup the same deck with 148 Thunder forged hollows and used the same tape measure and got +3.25" as expected.

The hollow hangers have some wear, but the team baseplates (as well as bushings and pivot cups) are fairly new and I'm measuring from center of axel. Anyone know why? Maybe some other factor I'm overlooking?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1877 on: February 22, 2024, 09:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

I'd recommend trying the indy stage 4's on a cruiser setup if you havent already. I feel like they turn even better than ace.

They definitely turn better than aces, aces really had us with that quick deep turn but the stage 4 are aces but SMOOTHER

It’s crazy that there is something of an upgrade

I mean it’s always preference in the end but the stage 4 are smoother and more stable from my experience

The thunder rebuild kit is nice though, didn’t realize I needed new pivot cups and they came in the kit and man what a change

yes

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1878 on: February 22, 2024, 09:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

[close]

They definitely turn better than aces, aces really had us with that quick deep turn but the stage 4 are aces but SMOOTHER

I mean it’s always preference in the end but the stage 4 are smoother and more stable from my experience

The thunder rebuild kit is nice though, didn’t realize I needed new pivot cups and they came in the kit and man what a change

I had to the opposite experience with Stage 4s. I think due to the height, I found them unstable on center. Turning radius is super sharp which is a cool, unique experience but for me Ace just feel way better through the whole turn and safer at high speeds in bowls, as they sit a bit lower. Ace are stable on center while the turning arc is still way preferable to me. I really think the Ace turning geometry is going to be really hard to beat. I have some Indy stage 2s and those turn great also but holy shit they are super unpredictable, squirrelly and pop like shit.

Stage 4 are also heavy (not really a concern for me) and have the worst KP clearance. Great trucks, don't get me wrong but for me I''ll continue to rotate between Ace and Thunder as I think they are the best at what they are designed for. Strangely, I can adjust between Ace and Thunder relatively well. I read somewhere the other day that Ace are also pretty close in geometry to the OG Thunders (Stage 1 and 2), so maybe there is something in it, even though they feel so drastically different these days. Probably just my muscle memory being tuned to Ace and Thunder over the last 10 years or so but its almost like Elon Musk has placed a blue tooth connection between my brain and trucks...

Will be keeping my Stage 4s though as they look so damn cool and are fun to set up from time to time.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1879 on: February 23, 2024, 12:20:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

[close]

Honestly, I don’t think most put as much thought into pivot cup replacement as they should (not swapping from the get go but replacing due to wear).

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #1880 on: February 23, 2024, 05:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

[close]

[close]

Honestly, I don’t think most put as much thought into pivot cup replacement as they should (not swapping from the get go but replacing due to wear).

Yea, my first set of riptides showed me what a difference they can make. Though I haven't gotten a set for my thunders yet.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1881 on: February 24, 2024, 09:53:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, my first set of riptides showed me what a difference they can make. Though I haven't gotten a set for my thunders yet.

never tried the riptides....yet!

since i usually skate my thunders for a year (and then swith them out for new ones) i end up sith the pivot cup breaking or turning starting to feel weird. couple years back i obsessed over bushings only when the turn don't feel right and some time later realized it was mostly pivot cups broken or rubbed through.
now i usually change them once after 6 months or so. lil wax in the cup and ready to go again, usually works like a charm.

plus it is the cheapest way to make your trucks last and perform. at least for me, don't slappy too much that i break bushings or some other shit and changing pivot cups always makes them feel like new (the good, broken in but new type).

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1882 on: February 24, 2024, 05:25:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm right there with ya.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

never tried the riptides....yet!

since i usually skate my thunders for a year (and then swith them out for new ones) i end up sith the pivot cup breaking or turning starting to feel weird. couple years back i obsessed over bushings only when the turn don't feel right and some time later realized it was mostly pivot cups broken or rubbed through.
now i usually change them once after 6 months or so. lil wax in the cup and ready to go again, usually works like a charm.

plus it is the cheapest way to make your trucks last and perform. at least for me, don't slappy too much that i break bushings or some other shit and changing pivot cups always makes them feel like new (the good, broken in but new type).

Yeah idk what it was but my trucks were doing the tight squeak and they weren’t feeling as smooth and quick on response

Got the rebuild kit and swapped in the new pivots cups and like you said, felt like new trucks minus the soft loosey squishy break in
yes

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #1883 on: February 25, 2024, 03:41:48 PM »
Curiosity got the better of me and i copped a pair of 161 to replace my dusted 151s. Gotta say I’m glad I did. Sans risers the extra mm seems to hit the sweet spot as I expected, I have had a feeling 53mm height trucks are for me since skating the big ventures. Turn and pinches likes a thunder, gotta break the bushings in a bit but so far so good!

flocke

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1884 on: February 27, 2024, 12:27:23 PM »
skated indys 139, 149, 144 for about 15 years, always felt a little unstable and my board was turning to one side no matter which bushings, pivot cups i ran.

Last year i finally gave it a shot and switched to venture hi 5.6 v-hollows cause of the hype in the forum and their stability. Hated the ventures for wheelie-tricks also they felt a little bit clunky to me but of course they where super stable. Super strange i had 2 sets of the 5.6 and after a while there was always the left front wheel in the air when i wasnt standing on the board.

a month ago switched to thunders 148 hollow lights and i have to say i love them! They have the perfect stability, turn great, best pinch. Snap back to center is quick and it makes me feel my board always rides "straight" when i want it to.Didnt notice any lack of slideability yet. I ran them with bones v1 x99 53mm.

In my opinion thunders should deserve a lot more shine here in the forum.

truck madness over !

Can he read

« Reply #1885 on: February 27, 2024, 12:36:11 PM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1886 on: February 27, 2024, 04:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
truck madness over !
[close]

well done. always and forever madness.

for what it is worth (zilch), the 148 lights, are excellent. in general i don’t get hyped on 8.25 trucks, but the thunders are as close to an anti-madness truck as i have had.
of course i rarely skate them, apparently i prefer to just slowly descend into madness….talking to myself, fighting invisible air goblins, both whilst skating painfully slowly and attempting what only i would know to be a nollie flip

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1887 on: February 27, 2024, 05:29:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
truck madness over !
[close]

[close]

for what it is worth (zilch), the 148 lights, are excellent. in general i don’t get hyped on 8.25 trucks, but the thunders are as close to an anti-madness truck as i have had.
of course i rarely skate them, apparently i prefer to just slowly descend into madness….talking to myself, fighting invisible air goblins, both whilst skating painfully slowly and attempting what only i would know to be a nollie flip

Same I’m thinking thunder 147 are the best, ishod rides them, busenitz rides them, a lot of the guys we don’t expect actually ride them and I see why

They’re like the better version of mini logos/beginner trucks

And I’m thinking these are the ones, but no…Ride the best? Seeing everyone’s setup with aces, slappy are the new cool core trucks, my nostalgia making me want ventures or krux
yes

Can he read

« Reply #1888 on: February 27, 2024, 06:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
truck madness over !
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same I’m thinking thunder 147 are the best, ishod rides them, busenitz rides them, a lot of the guys we don’t expect actually ride them and I see why

And I’m thinking these are the ones, but no…Ride the best? Seeing everyone’s setup with aces, slappy are the new cool core trucks, my nostalgia making me want ventures or krux

It’s crazy if people are considering slappy the new cool core trucks when the first move they made outside of releasing their first line was to sign an exclusive deal with zumiez. I stopped riding mine after that because I didn’t like how they responded when I asked if their new colorways would be available anywhere else.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1889 on: February 27, 2024, 06:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
truck madness over !
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s crazy if people are considering slappy the new cool core trucks when the first move they made outside of releasing their first line was to sign an exclusive deal with zumiez. I stopped riding mine after that because I didn’t like how they responded when I asked if their new colorways would be available anywhere else.

I had no idea, all I know is anyone who wasn’t riding the og 3 or aces was riding slappy and cause it was Mike Sinclair it was “by skaters for skaters” type deal but exclusive deal with zumiez???

Also Chris Cole rides thunders and he’s the best
yes