Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798272 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3150 on: July 15, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »
Haven't tried the OJ elites but I've got other hardline shape that I really like and I think they might have the best intro/price point formula.

Continuing on my NFG/Loophole kick I recently picked up the NFG 54mm squares and just got Loophole 54mm V cuts. The squares are a little skinnier than I was expecting, they're similar to a tablet or a bones v4. Like the shape but its not quite the crust crushing monster truck that the V shape is. They're really nice on smoother streets, fast and break their grip easy but not overly so. I'm still breaking the 54mm V's in (they really don't hit their stride until you get the initial layer or two of urethane off) but I'm really stoked on the shape - I love the 56 but they're definitely a little hefty. The 54 feels like its going to be a bit more manageable to throw around in the mid-summer heat but neither of them are exactly nimble.

F4 is still the king in my book, but this NFG formula isn't far behind and I like it more every time I skate it. It just feels like what a street wheel should in my book - brute force and speed over everything else.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3151 on: July 21, 2020, 07:44:37 PM »
Has anyone used OJ Keyframe 87A for skateparks? I kind of want to try it for a bowl session. Is it a bad idea?

sketchyrider

« Reply #3152 on: July 21, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »
Has anyone used OJ Keyframe 87A for skateparks? I kind of want to try it for a bowl session. Is it a bad idea?

I once used soft wheels for a park sesh, and it was a bad idea. Do you though.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #3153 on: July 21, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »

I dislike soft wheels in smooth skateparks. Keyframes felt fast as hell in the bowl, but they didn’t feel right (prob muscle memory). Don’t get me wrong, still fun to pump and zip around, but they perform best on crust imo.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3154 on: July 22, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
New OJ Elite shape and duro coming soonish:

95a Slim Conical (slim hardline shape, essential a V2/Tablet)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1965
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3155 on: July 22, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »
New OJ Elite shape and duro coming soonish:

95a Slim Conical (slim hardline shape, essential a V2/Tablet)

Thanks the video did a better job explaining wheel shapes than staring at Spitfire and Bones diagrams ever did. Wish the editing wasn't as choppy.

Wish me luck boys, going from a Bones 53mm V2 Easy Street to Bones 52mm V3 83b. Hopefully I can manage the change up coupled with a bum leg.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3156 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
I will for sure try those 95a. Good compromise between the Keyframes and a 99a/101a. And the tablet shape saves on weight a bit

slutonparade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #3157 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »
No Comply has a good amount of F4's in stock

https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/wheels

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #3158 on: July 24, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
I've been wanting to try NFG/Loophole wheels for a while and finally bought a pair of the square shape Jameel 54mm wheels.

I get this in no way has an impact on how well they skate but I can't bring myself to skate brand new wheels with bubble chunks missing on the side.  I'm overly neurotic but this is unacceptable quality control as far as I'm concerned.  Super bummed.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #3159 on: July 24, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »

Most will say it’s a bad idea but I only rode the same set of 56mm keyframes 87a for a couple years and had plenty of rad skatepark sessions on them. It depends on the park a bit. If it’s a slick park they are better than hard wheels, if it’s crusty you might kinda stick or can’t really slide on or out of tricks.
If you own them already go try it out but it might take a couple sessions to be really fun.  I’ve been skating super juices 78a at the park lately and I can do every trick I normally do except crooks, I barely have to push and it’s a really slick park so I can kinda do powerslides if it’s dusty. I was skating some 99a for awhile on a different setup idk I have a lot of setups but the soft wheels are fun, it’s also been hot as fuck lately so I’m not trying to put in work on some gnar or tech shit for a fat old man. Pop on some softies and have fun carve some shit, Boardslide some shit, silently snake scooter kids, 50-50 the ledge, fall on a frontside rock, whatevs who cares.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3160 on: July 25, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Got these on sale at the local.
Bought em on a whim. Not getting my hopes up on these wheels at all, but I’ve been looking for a super slick and slidey wheel for a while, and the fact that it says “street formula” on there, it’s 101a, and the fact that DGK makes them and their team is known for super techy skating give me hope.
[close]

How are they?
[close]
Haven’t had time to set them up and try them out yet; will definitely keep this thread updated on how they are though whenever I get a chance to try them.
Finally tried em out. They feel exactly the same as STFs to me, maybe a bit less slick than STFs, but still pretty slick regardless. I actually like STFs so I don’t mind these so far. As far as durability and how flatspot resistant they are, we shall see.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3161 on: July 25, 2020, 12:58:38 AM »
I mean bubbles/ irregularities in wheels were pretty much an industry standard for years. If I’m not mistaken, these are also hand poured?
I wouldn’t let it take away from the way the wheels perform, if F4 didn’t exist, 95% of the industry would ride loopholes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:30:18 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3162 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
Finally copped some 58mm OG Classics, super stoked to be back on the old formula, though I’m scared to go to my brand new local park because of the ‘treads’ on them. Quick ways to get rid of these? Obviously other than just riding them which I have been trying to, but I don’t really want to spend a day just skating a car park just so my wheels wont slip everywhere I go

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #3163 on: August 02, 2020, 07:36:42 AM »
I've been wanting to try NFG/Loophole wheels for a while and finally bought a pair of the square shape Jameel 54mm wheels.

I get this in no way has an impact on how well they skate but I can't bring myself to skate brand new wheels with bubble chunks missing on the side.  I'm overly neurotic but this is unacceptable quality control as far as I'm concerned.  Super bummed.

Most are like that, but it's actually a good thing because it's indicative of them actually using good pure urethane and not a bunch of fillers. I used to know an old speed skater dude and he told me they would specifically seek out wheels with bubbles for that reason. Urethane is notoriously difficult to work with and bubbling still happens sometimes even with high end injection/degassing equipment. These things are hand poured/trimmed, so it's pretty much an inevitability.

I personally don't see it as a quality control issue because it doesn't actually affect the performance. It's basically a cosmetic thing, sort of like yellowing. I like my wheels looking like they've been in a fight haha.

If bubbles, yellowing, or the graphics sliding off with a light breeze bothers you then yeah NFG/loophole is probably not going to be your cup of tea. I bet if you pop em up in the classifieds section someone will buy them off you.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3164 on: August 02, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
Anyone try Portland wheels ? Local shop got a fresh batch in.

I like the shape, however I have no idea about their durability.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:57:03 AM by TheBoognish »

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3165 on: August 02, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »

What spitfire shape are these closest to?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3166 on: August 02, 2020, 10:35:06 PM »
NFG squares are kinda like a puffy spitfire tablet. Contact patch is the same but it's just a couple mils wider.

EDIT: looking at my spitfire card again and it's actually more like a radial slim/radial hybrid. It's the width of a radial with the contact patch of the slim.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3167 on: August 02, 2020, 11:21:20 PM »
who's been skating dialtones and what are your thoughts? still sitting on a pair the i panic bought due to the drought™ bc i know nothing will be as good as f4s. wheels are wheels at the end of the day right? right??

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3168 on: August 03, 2020, 05:11:07 AM »
I've been skating some radials lately and idk... There is sth about that shape that just don't work 100% for me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3169 on: August 03, 2020, 05:37:34 AM »
who's been skating dialtones and what are your thoughts? still sitting on a pair the i panic bought due to the drought™ bc i know nothing will be as good as f4s. wheels are wheels at the end of the day right? right??
I’m afraid they are not. I’ve got sml on my main board at the moment and while they aren’t terrible, I often find myself comparing them to f4s. If I just rode them I’d probably be fine but it’s hard not to notice the little differences. Never owned dial tone but figure they’ll be the same; they won’t totally suck, but you’ve tasted heaven in wheel form and now you must suffer on anything not f4. Loophole is the closest you’ll get imho
Go in with no expectations and you might be surprised though. I did that with waywards and they were fine, even enjoyed how white they remained. Depends on your level of wheel madness at the end of the day

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3170 on: August 03, 2020, 06:30:09 AM »

I’ve got some at the moment. They skate and ride great, but they started coning after a month and a half I don’t skate as often as I used to. No flatspots yet but then again i’m not much of a powerslider.

I’ve always been an STF or F4 guy (more STF though) and I can’t wait for my local shop to re-stock. They feel much faster than my Dialtones.

Might try Portland Wheel Co. in the mean time.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #3171 on: August 03, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
NFG squares are kinda like a puffy spitfire tablet. Contact patch is the same but it's just a couple mils wider.

EDIT: looking at my spitfire card again and it's actually more like a radial slim/radial hybrid. It's the width of a radial with the contact patch of the slim.

That sounds good, might grab a set from the local. Thanks!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3172 on: August 03, 2020, 11:01:57 AM »
Skating some Bigheads and I am enjoying the classic formula. Definitely wears faster than an F4 but they feel really good on rough pavement. The slide is also super nice once the treads are gone.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3173 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Skating some Bigheads and I am enjoying the classic formula. Definitely wears faster than an F4 but they feel really good on rough pavement. The slide is also super nice once the treads are gone.
Yeah been wanting to grab a set of classic formula for these exact reasons. I don't get to skate enough for them to wear down too fast for me. How's the contact patch after wear?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3174 on: August 03, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
I put my radial slims up to some V2 locks and was quite surprised on how almost identical they are in shape...anyone skated the tabs and the V2 locks?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #3175 on: August 03, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
I put my radial slims up to some V2 locks and was quite surprised on how almost identical they are in shape...anyone skated the tabs and the V2 locks?

V2s have a somewhat smaller riding surface. That being said, both wheels felt similar in performance regarding the shape, with the V2s maybe feeling a bit more nimble. However, my V2s wore down faster than my tablets.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3176 on: August 03, 2020, 07:50:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Both the same duro?

V2s have a somewhat smaller riding surface. That being said, both wheels felt similar in performance regarding the shape, with the V2s maybe feeling a bit more nimble. However, my V2s wore down faster than my tablets.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3177 on: August 04, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah been wanting to grab a set of classic formula for these exact reasons. I don't get to skate enough for them to wear down too fast for me. How's the contact patch after wear?

Meant to take a pic last night but I ended up running a bunch of errands. The treads were gone after maybe 4 hours of flatground skating, patch looks wider than classics...I have a set of the same size classics so when they come I'll look at the difference. I was told at one point they're the same shape, but I emailed DLX and they said they're not.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3178 on: August 04, 2020, 06:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What spitfire shape are these closest to?

Yikes, quality control must of been on vacation when those came thru! They look like a fatter Spitfire Tablet.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3179 on: August 04, 2020, 07:50:13 AM »
Are bones stf v3 shapes the closest thing to a spitfire f4  classic ?

Is there any performance difference between the bones white and natural colors?