Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 366387 times)

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #930 on: June 22, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »
Wait no, probably later as it has the new splined kingpin rather than hex

What’s the difference between the two? Appreciate ya’ll input. And do you mean pre-DLX frozenindustries? Because the V goes against the cast? I included a pic on the previous page.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:19:39 PM by YungJugg »

l1ll1ll1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Anybody else ever have the feeling of a setup being too light?
Just had three absolute trash days on an FA 8.18 + Venture Hi Titanium 5.2 and decided to put on the 5.6 Hi hollows, I bought since they were starting to sell out in almost all shops in europe. Took the bushings from the Tis and put them in the hollows and felt 2 things:
1. I'm way happier, right away. Leveling out ollies for example is so much easier...
2. For some weird reason, even though the white bushings from the Tis were the same height as the purple ones from the hollows, the hollows feel sooo (!!!) turny with the white (worn in) bushings.

Anybody can relate?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #932 on: June 22, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
Just had three absolute trash days on an FA 8.18 + Venture Hi Titanium 5.2 and decided to put on the 5.6 Hi hollows, I bought since they were starting to sell out in almost all shops in europe. Took the bushings from the Tis and put them in the hollows and felt 2 things:
1. I'm way happier, right away. Leveling out ollies for example is so much easier...
2. For some weird reason, even though the white bushings from the Tis were the same height as the purple ones from the hollows, the hollows feel sooo (!!!) turny with the white (worn in) bushings.

Anybody can relate?

I didn't really notice the difference between the white and purple venture bushings.... its possible that the purple ones break in a bit faster (vague anecdotal experience) but besides that they feel the exact same to me.

I think there's definitely merit to the idea that a truck can be too light, especially if you're skating a board thats in the ~8inch territory. Once you go 8.5+ setup I feel like even if you have the lightest tensor mags on your board is probably gonna still be plenty hefty.

I went from skating some venture 5.8 titaniums to venture 5.8 vlights (forged plate, standard hanger) and I've been skating better (but thats almost certainly due to the fact that I've been skating more lately). Its definitely heavier just holding the board but I didn't notice the weight difference when skating much after maybe the first ten minutes.

Its definitely plausible. I guess it depends on what you're used to and also your board shape and dimensions. I can imagine a hypothetical set of all titanium Aces (which shrink the wheelbase a lot) feeling really anemic on a flat tail.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #933 on: June 22, 2020, 03:45:48 PM »

Anybody can relate?

Yep. 8" Tensor Maglights on and 8.125 primitive deck (Primitive decks weigh the least out of every brand I've weighed, usually by a fair amount; it's actually quite shocking, what's even more so is dwindlws 'impact light' isn't light at all just lighter than a full impact ;), Bones V3s and shorties lights bolts, M80 grip, easily the lightest thing I've put together and didn't' like it at all, there wasn't enough heft to throw things around correctly; it was fine for manuals.

I've slowly been going back to 'hollow' on most brands, I don't need the TI unless it's on Indy. But I'd probably go with Team TIs with Thunder tho, they feel good and the weight difference between team hollows, once you're all setup is almost imperceptable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #934 on: June 22, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Wait no, probably later as it has the new splined kingpin rather than hex
[close]

What’s the difference between the two? Appreciate ya’ll input. And do you mean pre-DLX frozenindustries? Because the V goes against the cast? I included a pic on the previous page.

Oh I see now. Yeah, those are Streetcorner-made ventures for sure. IDK if they were poured in the USA then or what.

Banned from the room

« Reply #935 on: June 22, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
I've always been partial to dark color stock bushings.

I feel darker holds heat making looser in warmer conditions.

I could be wrong because all after market stuff black is the hardest.

Also gleaming the cube quote

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #936 on: June 22, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
I've always been partial to dark color stock bushings.

I feel darker holds heat making looser in warmer conditions.

I could be wrong because all after market stuff black is the hardest.

Also gleaming the cube quote

Bones in blk are for sure softer (in and out of heat) but they also don't stiffen up like the wht bones if you don't ride them for a bit.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #937 on: June 22, 2020, 09:25:19 PM »

Anybody can relate?

Didn't mess around with bushing but I had a really shit Saturday session with a board that was too light. Primitive deck (8.25 x 31.8 x 14) paired with Venture 5.6 TI which I bought specifically for this setup. Short WB plus TI trucks made the board way too light and tippy. Every time I setup for a trick I felt like I was standing on a teeter totter, zero stability and I rolled my ankle because of this. 5.8 feels way bigger than I can handle, I'm limiting myself to 8-8.125 boards from now on.

Like Xen mentioned above I think TIs are great but not worth the price premium. Venture and Thunder hollows are  designed light enough unlike Indys which benefit much more from the weight savings.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #938 on: June 23, 2020, 04:24:29 AM »
thanks for all the responses!
so it's not just my ocd acting up, that the setup might have been too light.

only weird thing that i can't quite figure out is: the hollow 5.6 are soo squirly with the worn in Ti bushings, even though i tightened them up to the same tightness, judging by the kingpin nut. have to ride them way (!) tighter than the Tis. maybe i go back to the new stock bushings of the hollows, but i thought i could get around the shitty break in period.
well, as so often with skating: there is no way of cheating your way around putting in the time.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #939 on: June 23, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »

only weird thing that i can't quite figure out is: the hollow 5.6 are soo squirly with the worn in Ti bushings, even though i tightened them up to the same tightness, judging by the kingpin nut. have to ride them way (!) tighter than the Tis. maybe i go back to the new stock bushings of the hollows, but i thought i could get around the shitty break in period.
well, as so often with skating: there is no way of cheating your way around putting in the time.

Probably the new pivot cups

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #940 on: June 23, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »
Just put deluxe supercush 97du in my 5.8s. just spent about 2 hrs on them and really liking them more than the stocks and the bones I just took out. Highly recommend for anyone who thinks the stocks are too soft.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #941 on: June 23, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For some stupid reason I remember there being some blurb from ave where he said he switched just the new hanger onto the board, along with all of the ‘shrapnel’ (bushings and washers). The stupid part is I can’t imagine that it was ave talking about his setup, so I probably misremembered. Be real interested in what he actually rides. I’ve just assumed that everyone is on 149s, because that’s the most popular shit, but I dunno, he’s not that big. He and dill went from skating 7.75 looking boards with venture lo’s to indys and wider boards, but I don’t think they went 2 sizes up.
Any damn ways, moving the hanger and everything else over to the existing baseplate can help speed I the breaking in.
Me and my 5.8s are in a struggle. Green bushings aren’t breaking in as much as my recent purps. And I’m just too much of a buster to figure out the 8.5s. Probably need to size down to 5.6s, or use my 5.2s. Definitely need to find some boards with fingers of flat, like the most.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #942 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
Just put deluxe supercush 97du in my 5.8s. just spent about 2 hrs on them and really liking them more than the stocks and the bones I just took out. Highly recommend for anyone who thinks the stocks are too soft.
That the purple ones? I have the purples in now and the greens but the purple are working great for me

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #943 on: June 23, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That the purple ones? I have the purples in now and the greens but the purple are working great for me

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #944 on: June 23, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Referring to the bushings, re: purple ones

Junglist

« Reply #945 on: June 23, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
I think dill still skates <8” boards, him and gino

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #946 on: June 23, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yup they're the purple 97s.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #947 on: June 23, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Love mine but the summer heat probably helped the break-in and turning

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #948 on: June 23, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »

that's probably it. got a shit ton of wax in them also, because the only thing i hate about them ventures, is the squuuuuueaky pivot cup.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: June 23, 2020, 01:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that's probably it. got a shit ton of wax in them also, because the only thing i hate about them ventures, is the squuuuuueaky pivot cup.

Riptides will solve your pivot cup issues!

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: June 23, 2020, 01:55:10 PM »
Just set up that raney anti hero that’s 31.3 long as a second setup to see if it works well with ventures.
5.2 with 53 classics. Kept the stocks in

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Couldn't find any in germany since somebody mentioned them on this thread some time ago, but I'm watching out for them, thanks for the tip!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »
CRACKED ICE are back in stock yes haha glad i waited

Venture Pivot Cup

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: June 23, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
Just set up that raney anti hero that’s 31.3 long as a second setup to see if it works well with ventures.

Interested to hear how it go. I’ve got 5.2s, have it slapped together with some 56 conical fulls and it just looks dumb. I don’t need to struggle nearly as much when I skate 8” trucks....maybe I should learn from that.
Nah

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interested to hear how it go. I’ve got 5.2s, have it slapped together with some 56 conical fulls and it just looks dumb. I don’t need to struggle nearly as much when I skate 8” trucks....maybe I should learn from that.
Nah
I’ll never change my ways on most things skate related. Only reason I didn’t put the 5.6’s on from my main setup is because I’m apprehensive about the ventures making the nose and tail too short. Should get out tonight so I’ll let you know

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: June 23, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »
CRACKED ICE are back in stock yes haha glad i waited

Venture Pivot Cup
Love the cracked ice. Don’t need them but I sorta want to get them to replace the green ones but at this point that would be wayyy to indulgent and unnecessary considering the effort I would have to make.

Watch next week I’ll have ordered them though.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #956 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah was really humid and hot in MD today. Was zero break in.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #957 on: June 23, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah was really humid and hot in MD today. Was zero break in.
Dude I’m also in MD. Got to the garage and the weather app said it was 78 but I made it an hour before i was over it. Don’t know what the real feel was but it was a hot one

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #958 on: June 24, 2020, 12:44:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Couldn't find any in germany since somebody mentioned them on this thread some time ago, but I'm watching out for them, thanks for the tip!

Concrete Wave has them, online as well.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #959 on: June 24, 2020, 05:44:23 AM »
I think dill still skates <8” boards, him and gino

I believe I read this also. BUT in Gino's latest stuff (61st st or whatever), that board looking like an 8"+? It's what I noticed the most