Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364387 times)

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2790 on: April 21, 2022, 09:06:59 PM »

Put some 5.2 low hollow hangers on 5.2 low cast baseplate . Using stock bushings and a bones flat top washer . Tightened the kingpin nut just enough to be flush and they are super loose and turn really well after my first session .

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2791 on: April 21, 2022, 09:37:58 PM »
The plates are the same between the 2 aren’t they?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #2792 on: April 21, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »
The plates are the same between the 2 aren’t they?

The hollow hangars came originally on forged baseplates with hollow kingpins.

Set up on a fa 8.18 with some what used to be 99du 52mm classic f4

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2793 on: April 22, 2022, 03:28:57 PM »

I just caem in my pants. These are old school thunder size and colour.  I had a set of thunder low dark green see thru. They was like old school bushings.

I rode those same trucks 5 days a from 2002 to 2016. I stopped doing grinds pretty much and was doing mostly high speed black out skateboarding in heavy traffic from the methadone clinic every day.

I learned to skate around switch like I was born regs.  I would find a dope hill and just over and over bash my back truck on curbs instead of Ollie.

They died when I started doing grinds in 2016. Turned to dust.

I had element ceramic bearings that lasted 2 years less. Like sub 44 mm adhd. The super ball wheels I had that was wide and white before that went from 2005? To frickin 2015 too.
The core ripped out going to a show in Allston I fell totally blacked out with a bag full of paint and beers.

The adhd wheels were fun I still got them somewhere. Stupid small and varied mm sizes from wear and tear.

I’m only going to buy like two pairs because I’m also stoked on the Nfg Mfg stuff too. I know mad people will find the dlx stuff. Those other guy need our support

Because I suck at cutting bushings I’ll use one set as a template to cut all bushings. I haven’t had to cut any for like 2 years because the purps I got from a pal worked out. I been taking them from truck to truck. I had some poor luck with purps I can’t front on a pal.

Other good venture news. I’m giving a kid at the park my old trucks.  They are kinda beat but I’ll throw the hollow base plate I don’t use in there with some purps that I couldn’t skate.

I gotta convince him not to buy some kook shit. I be thinking about that. He’s to google for that. He been skating like less than two years and he is starting to kill at skateboarding.

Venture needs more converts. It’s about legacy. Thunder and venture are the trucks that birthed real street skateboarding.
Ace is dope too because they ain’t no toy company though I’m not going to get over the loss of the classic. Thank the dark lord of skatan that I still got one more pair from before Covid on ice.

Word up to pals. If the kid sticks with the used truck I’ll throw him new cast hangers. I can do that and still be good with a pair on board and a pair of ace on ice.

I have some 5.2 too but one is high the other low. That was a bad move for me. I got some like stage 7 for baby boards somewhere too.

I’m thinking of selling a testi. I heard you can get like 35 grand for a healthy one. I can buy a car and a few sets of 6.1s to put on ice lol

If I didn’t break them in the 90s learning board slides on rails.

I wasn’t out there in rain coats for like my whole life I’m lucky af I’m not host to some kinda crazy funk and I’m so so lucky I didn’t put anything in an oven. Or else I probably wouldn’t be able to buy or even use 6.1s.

Here’s to being a free man all my life
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2794 on: April 23, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »
Skated my venture hollows now the 6th time - do they get loser after a few days or is it me?

Also I really need to skate another deck with them. My 8“ magenta right now does not feel right, maybe really because the tail is short. 6.3 or something like that

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2795 on: April 23, 2022, 07:10:30 PM »
Skated my venture hollows now the 6th time - do they get loser after a few days or is it me?

Also I really need to skate another deck with them. My 8“ magenta right now does not feel right, maybe really because the tail is short. 6.3 or something like that

I have heard the tighten up. I’ve found the opposite. My trucks got nice and loose after about a month if daily daily 2-3 hr sessions.

I wonder if Gary has made the switch? That would be dope. He’s read one of my comments once
(A)pl(E)

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2796 on: April 24, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »
5.6 polished with green bushings as the stock color.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2797 on: April 24, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »

Nice!

Are they still the same as the older ones under the baseplate?

Curious if anything has changed there as well, the way Thunder has.

Not expecting it to, but sometimes these things happen.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2798 on: April 24, 2022, 07:51:49 PM »

Luckily dog
(A)pl(E)

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2799 on: April 24, 2022, 09:00:48 PM »

I can't for the life of me skate Ventures on a short and/or steep tail.

I definitely skate better on Indy nowadays, but still have to go back to Venture when I find an appropriate deck. That 90s nostalgia gets the better of me always.

I actually modded a mellow concave 8.125 Deathwish with that Chems Skate Lab tool and brought the wheelbase in from 14.25 to 13.875. Absolutely loved my cast Venture 5.6s on that setup.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #2800 on: April 25, 2022, 12:32:03 AM »
Anyone got board recommendations for casted 5.6 ventures?

I like the trucks but I haven't found a board that works. I had Palace 8.38 which was my go to on Ace 33s but it was old when I changed the trucks. Now I'm riding sci-fi fantasy 8.38 that I find to have way too much shape like too steep nose and tail and way too much concave for good measure.. I guess I need something that is flat as fuck, shorter wheelbase and big nose and tail but not steep..

ahh the gear madness.....

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2801 on: April 25, 2022, 12:47:46 AM »
Gx, quasi or wknd?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2802 on: April 25, 2022, 05:18:37 AM »

I like the trucks but I haven't found a board that works. I had Palace 8.38 which was my go to on Ace 33s but it was old when I changed the trucks. Now I'm riding sci-fi fantasy 8.38 that I find to have way too much shape like too steep nose and tail and way too much concave for good measure.. I guess I need something that is flat as fuck, shorter wheelbase and big nose and tail but not steep..

Any Crailtap board.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #2803 on: April 25, 2022, 05:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Any Crailtap board.
any primitive deck (just spray over the graphics)
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2804 on: April 25, 2022, 07:32:45 AM »
Maybe controversial but I don’t think there are necessarily boards for certain trucks.

Look at DLX brands for example. Lots of Real dudes are on Thunders, lots of AH dudes ride Indy, Krooked dudes are on both Thunder and Venture and it’s all the same shapes. You have Bobby on a 14.4 with Ventures and Grant on 14.25-14.5 with Indy’s.

Girl has riders on Royal, which have an Indy-like WB, Indy, Thunder, and I can’t think of anyone at the moment that is on Venture there, but on Chocolate you have guys on Ace, Royal, Venture, Indy, and Thunder.

I dunno what Sci Fi you have but they are not necessarily mellower in the kicks than Crail. They’re generic BBS shapes whereas lots of Crail decks have lots of flat before kicks with similar steepness. That probably matters more than WB.

Sounds like the trucks actually aren’t working, which is fine. I like a lot of things about Ventures and often consider trying them again, but in the end after the honeymoon period is over they just don’t work as well for me.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #2805 on: April 25, 2022, 08:15:32 AM »

April 8.25 is the best board I've skated on Ventures.

It's not flat, but def mellow. Nose and tail are great.

Graphics are terrible tho

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2806 on: April 25, 2022, 08:51:09 AM »
Maybe a bit controversial but I don’t think graphics really matter…..

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2807 on: April 25, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »

I dunno, I’ve got an April, and it’s a good board, but it feels so fucked to leave the house with it. (It also has long tail/nose, and maybe that’s the real reason I’m not as into it, but I’m saying it’s the fact that it’s an April)

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2808 on: April 25, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »
Maybe controversial but I don’t think there are necessarily boards for certain trucks.

Look at DLX brands for example. Lots of Real dudes are on Thunders, lots of AH dudes ride Indy, Krooked dudes are on both Thunder and Venture and it’s all the same shapes. You have Bobby on a 14.4 with Ventures and Grant on 14.25-14.5 with Indy’s.

Girl has riders on Royal, which have an Indy-like WB, Indy, Thunder, and I can’t think of anyone at the moment that is on Venture there, but on Chocolate you have guys on Ace, Royal, Venture, Indy, and Thunder.

I dunno what Sci Fi you have but they are not necessarily mellower in the kicks than Crail. They’re generic BBS shapes whereas lots of Crail decks have lots of flat before kicks with similar steepness. That probably matters more than WB.

Sounds like the trucks actually aren’t working, which is fine. I like a lot of things about Ventures and often consider trying them again, but in the end after the honeymoon period is over they just don’t work as well for me.

Thank you all for the recommendations!

I guess I'll have checkout crailtap or primitive then. Too bad graphics do matter to some degree.

The scifi  borad had generator sticker on it. It has a sick dinosaur graphic!

Of course everyone can ride whatever but it's about your preference. I'm kinda in into venture's thighter turn. Trend watch tight trucks 2023..

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2809 on: April 25, 2022, 12:21:57 PM »
On short wheelbase boards I really liked a girl G052 I had a last year… 8.25 with 14’WB. it had a big shovel nose which I love. My only pet peeve is that it tappers to like an 8.1 on the Tail, would prefer no tapper, but tbh barelly noticeable. 

I like FA/Hockey decks too, 8.25 with 14.12’WB but the kicks are quite steep, might not pair as good with Ventures but riding it atm and it feels good imo…

Other one I really liked last year was a Real, Mason’s shape, 8.28 with 14.12’WB. Mellower kicks than FA’s and not as “full”, but felt perfect from the get go.

Now I’m looking at this WKND 8.25 CT shape, which is 8.25 with a 14’WB, looks quite full too. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on that one and see how it feels with the ventures!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2810 on: April 25, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess I'll have checkout crailtap or primitive then. Too bad graphics do matter to some degree.

Of course everyone can ride whatever but it's about your preference. I'm kinda in into venture's thighter turn. Trend watch tight trucks 2023..

I can attest that Ventures pair quite nicely with crailtap and primitive boards (both cast and forged plates). I run cast exclusively now but I'm not as picky as I used to be when I first started riding Ventures in 2019. I used to only skate 14" wb with Ventures, but I feel like as long as you stay within range of your preferable dimensions, it's easy to get adjusted to the changes.

I skate standard BBS/generator 8" shapes (Baker, Frog, TKF, etc.) with 14.25" wb on Venture highs and I wouldn't say I have any major complaints. Anyone that is still iffy about Ventures, definitely try running the flat washer (helps a lot imo) to get a little bit more turn. If that doesn't fix it, go with softer duro bushing offerings from Deluxe (Supercush) or Indy aftermarkets (barrel bottom to maintain Venture geo). Or the new Venture green bushings that just came out which seems pretty sick. Bones bushings work too, but I think it changes the geo slightly
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 01:15:58 PM by notinternetfamous »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2811 on: April 25, 2022, 03:12:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Uhhh what? You can get any truck tight that’s pretty damn easy just tighten the kingpin. I know a dude that is sponsored by Ace and has 2 threads showing and his trucks are definitely tighter turning and stable. If you like tight trucks just pick the best grinding truck, which likely isn’t a Venture. Krux would probably be a better bet

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2812 on: April 25, 2022, 03:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Uhhh what? You can get any truck tight that’s pretty damn easy just tighten the kingpin. I know a dude that is sponsored by Ace and has 2 threads showing and his trucks are definitely tighter turning and stable. If you like tight trucks just pick the best grinding truck, which likely isn’t a Venture. Krux would probably be a better bet

For someone that doesn’t like venture, you sure spend a lot of time in the venture thread

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2813 on: April 25, 2022, 04:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can attest that Ventures pair quite nicely with crailtap and primitive boards (both cast and forged plates). I run cast exclusively now but I'm not as picky as I used to be when I first started riding Ventures in 2019. I used to only skate 14" wb with Ventures, but I feel like as long as you stay within range of your preferable dimensions, it's easy to get adjusted to the changes.

I skate standard BBS/generator 8" shapes (Baker, Frog, TKF, etc.) with 14.25" wb on Venture highs and I wouldn't say I have any major complaints. Anyone that is still iffy about Ventures, definitely try running the flat washer (helps a lot imo) to get a little bit more turn. If that doesn't fix it, go with softer duro bushing offerings from Deluxe (Supercush) or Indy aftermarkets (barrel bottom to maintain Venture geo). Or the new Venture green bushings that just came out which seems pretty sick. Bones bushings work too, but I think it changes the geo slightly

For me ventures turn more than I need.
Today was the day that I really got used to them after skating them maybe 6 times.
I thought it’s the short tail of my magenta 8“ deck that feels strange with ventures , but I was just not used to them after riding thunders and royals somehow. Struggled a bit with manuals and pop, but both are good now.

Still I want to try a longer tail with them. Will ride the real logo 8.12 next and after that an 8.25 alien.

Let’s see if it makes a difference to me. The alien also has a 14.25 wb.

I think I will just get used to anything honestly. I don’t believe .25 wb will bother me. Let’s see.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2814 on: April 25, 2022, 04:08:29 PM »
You don’t buy Ventures if the only thing you do is cruise and carve around. They’re made to do tricks. Gonz rode them in the early 90s and it worked for him. Indy, Thunder, Venture aren’t that drastic of a difference that you can’t do the shit you normally do already but once you find the one that makes you think “Oh I could eventually learn (insert dream trick)” then you should stick with it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2815 on: April 25, 2022, 06:03:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

For someone that doesn’t like venture, you sure spend a lot of time in the venture thread

I love reading about gear and generally, Ventures are actually great but I think a lot of people are forcing the relationship because of their current popularity.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2816 on: April 25, 2022, 06:08:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I love reading about gear and generally, Ventures are actually great but I think a lot of people are forcing the relationship because of their current popularity.

You might be onto something there

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2817 on: April 25, 2022, 06:33:31 PM »
Ya so the above poster was forcing the relationship but then says they like tight trucks. Ventures have a lower turning radius, but are not tight on center. They can be tightened to be tight, but you can make other trucks tight just fine.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2818 on: April 26, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »
I heard this hot take at local skate shop. Loose trucks are for babies and once you have enough control you should tighten your trucks. I suppose it's because when you get better the less you need to adjust your landings.. Venture is the tight truck tho.

Of course there has been a huge marketing push by Venture to make them trendy. It's hard not see it. For me Venture was last of the big 3/4 I had not tested and also I'm a trendy bitch..

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #2819 on: April 26, 2022, 02:52:58 AM »

I agree and that's true to a point as they do just get scratched up after the first session.

There's just something about getting a board in the size that works for you that's also aesthetically pleasing, rather than a blank or some half baked graphic that someone's pulled out there arse on photoshop or illustrator etc. while high thinking to themselves about how there college tuition has paid off and how great there board designs look.

I miss all the hand drawn stuff, the smell of paint from the screened boards when you went into a shop.
there's too many basic computer generated graphics/transfers around these days imo.

(I understand why that is because from the business standpoint they are able to knock out more in the manufacturing runs as well as the cost difference between the two but it is a shame.)
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"