Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720408 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5190 on: June 16, 2023, 08:37:28 PM »
Correct. Here's a glimpse of the 90s tablets.

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #5191 on: June 16, 2023, 09:41:02 PM »
Expand Quote
This ad was from 1991.

[close]

Ok so I'm not completely crazy. Did they discontinue them at some point and then bring them back in 2019? Appreciate everyone's help! My memory is an absolute sieve.

they went away really quick iircc, wheels were just about to go small & pants big! the 55mm is/was a good wheel, the 53mm back then flat spotted easily, narrow wheels in general across brands flat spotted much easier back then.

switchfakie

« Reply #5192 on: June 16, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »
yo i dont remember who told me this, but somebody said that 99s slide better than the 101s

i tried an old pair on my cruiser the other day and it actually seemed like its true, does anybody have any imput on this?

why the fuck am i skating 101s if the 99s slide better ? id have no reason to

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5193 on: June 16, 2023, 11:34:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This ad was from 1991.

[close]

Ok so I'm not completely crazy. Did they discontinue them at some point and then bring them back in 2019? Appreciate everyone's help! My memory is an absolute sieve.
[close]

they went away really quick iircc, wheels were just about to go small & pants big! the 55mm is/was a good wheel, the 53mm back then flat spotted easily, narrow wheels in general across brands flat spotted much easier back then.
"Hots", wonder how they looked.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5194 on: June 17, 2023, 05:01:25 AM »

Sick. Thanks!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5195 on: June 17, 2023, 11:51:28 PM »
Wasn’t there another run of tablets before the current iteration (not the old school ones, after those)?

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5196 on: June 18, 2023, 01:26:59 PM »

These look sick. It would be cool if they still did the side cut instead of the flat side profile that they do now

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #5197 on: June 18, 2023, 06:38:09 PM »
Wasn’t there another run of tablets before the current iteration (not the old school ones, after those)?

I thought there was another run a well (maybe in the mid '00s?), but again, that's just a foggy, possibly wrong, memory.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5198 on: June 18, 2023, 06:39:32 PM »

I put this in the middle of a whole lot of other info on the last page, most likely got lost as I often type too much and people don't read it all, but yes, in 2013 when the Formula Four first came out.

I still have the marketing blurb from them too, which was cool to see.

Expand Quote
Random question for the Spitfire historians here in the chat. When were Tablets introduced (2019?)? Was there a Tablet-like Spitfire wheel in the 90s? I swear at one point I rode Tablets for a while but maybe they were a different blocky Spitfire wheel.
[close]

When Spitfire first brought out the Formula Four in 2013, they had four options, Classic 99 duro, Full 99, Classic 101 and Tablet 101, again not quite the same shape as is now, but very similar, in that it was flat sided with minimal curved corners.

Found it:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5199 on: June 18, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put this in the middle of a whole lot of other info on the last page, most likely got lost as I often type too much and people don't read it all, but yes, in 2013 when the Formula Four first came out.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Random question for the Spitfire historians here in the chat. When were Tablets introduced (2019?)? Was there a Tablet-like Spitfire wheel in the 90s? I swear at one point I rode Tablets for a while but maybe they were a different blocky Spitfire wheel.
[close]

When Spitfire first brought out the Formula Four in 2013, they had four options, Classic 99 duro, Full 99, Classic 101 and Tablet 101, again not quite the same shape as is now, but very similar, in that it was flat sided with minimal curved corners.

[close]

Found it:

Cool! Thought they were early F4...I remember them being all red for some reason. That run was really short lived.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5200 on: June 18, 2023, 06:52:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These look sick. It would be cool if they still did the side cut instead of the flat side profile that they do now

The thing is the OG Classic appears to be that wheel shape, as in it is a squared off wheel, not wide in profile like some of the others, with a cutaway area like they have with the swirl graphic, so although the name and formula might have changed a bit, the actual shape of the wheel is much the same as per the wheels back then.

Check out some OG Classics if you haven't seen them in person, because that is what they look like.  Comparing their dimensions from the Spitfire site too, they are not that different, between 1 - 2 mm wider in wheel width and riding surface from Tablet to OG Classic, but as you said, without the flat side profile.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

Those old Thrasher mags they put up in their entirety are amazing to see too!

switchfakie

« Reply #5201 on: June 18, 2023, 08:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The thing is the OG Classic appears to be that wheel shape, as in it is a squared off wheel, not wide in profile like some of the others, with a cutaway area like they have with the swirl graphic, so although the name and formula might have changed a bit, the actual shape of the wheel is much the same as per the wheels back then.

Check out some OG Classics if you haven't seen them in person, because that is what they look like.  Comparing their dimensions from the Spitfire site too, they are not that different, between 1 - 2 mm wider in wheel width and riding surface from Tablet to OG Classic, but as you said, without the flat side profile.

On a tangent, dang man, it’s been a sec since I looked at that catalog you linked

I had no idea lock-ins we’re wider than conical fulls

I really wish they made 58-60 mm lock ins, that would be heavenly

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5202 on: June 18, 2023, 10:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I thought about that right after I hit post. OG classics are my favorite wheels.

Also that full shape in that ad looks nice too. Pretty close to the Bones P5/V5 shape

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5203 on: June 19, 2023, 01:29:51 AM »

On a tangent, dang man, it’s been a sec since I looked at that catalog you linked

I had no idea lock-ins we’re wider than conical fulls

I really wish they made 58-60 mm lock ins, that would be heavenly

The Spitfire sizes page has just been updated, mainly to showcase the two new shapes in the Full range, but they also dropped a few other styles from the main area.

I think others were saying some measurements had changed as well, but the older Lock ins that I have are not that wide.

Example from some that I do have and know:

The 55 mm 99 duro Lock ins are now listed as 35.9 wide with a 23.5 riding surface.  The ones I have are what is shown on the old spec page, as was on the back of the cards that come with the wheels, so my older ones are 55 mm in diameter, 33 mm wide with a 23 mm riding surface.

The set I have are a very minimal edge and just a completely flat back, like Tablets, whereas pics of the new ones had a much more rounded back to them, which I thought interesting too, when they were shown and shop people who have them have said they are way more round now when they look at them.

Almost everything is trending to wider wheels, but the Classics are still fairly even, with the 60 mm size previously being 39 mm wide, but are now listed as only 37 mm, so I am curious to see them in person too.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #5204 on: June 19, 2023, 03:41:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Found it:

Thank you! I appreciate your long, detailed posts!

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5205 on: June 20, 2023, 04:34:58 PM »
Anyone have information on the Spitfire Sapphires that are now arriving in shops?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5206 on: June 20, 2023, 04:57:30 PM »
I am super curious, came out of no where. Have a core, wonder if they slide?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5207 on: June 20, 2023, 05:57:00 PM »
i'm sorry the what nows?

update:

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #5208 on: June 20, 2023, 06:06:55 PM »
I feel like they did the OJ dual duro thing correctly. For those who have dealt with bearing slippage and plastic cores were a solution, yeah I need that hard inner duro and softer outer. Not the other way around. Truly clear would be cooler though. Not that blue color.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5209 on: June 20, 2023, 06:28:30 PM »
So these are like a reverse dual duro, not quite dragon, not quite cruiser, maybe filmer but a bit too hard, clear for some reason... Wow, not sure what these are for? Not meant to be a criticism, but I'm genuinely curious what these would be for?

I suppose with how spitfire and Bones duro ratings differ, these should be pretty in line with Dragon hardness.

If they slide then they're on to something, but if they don't then what would they be for? Guess we'll find out.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5210 on: June 20, 2023, 07:05:10 PM »
Sick. I'm pretty much a sucker for any and all Spitfire wheels so I will likely try these. However, the 88a to 98a durometer zone has been a bit of a no man's land since the early 90s. So they have their work cut of for them. What will they do better than 80HDs?

I am presuming these might be a really fast cruiser type wheel like the Rica 86a clouds or Keyframes. I am also a sucker for clear urethane.

Will cop.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5211 on: June 20, 2023, 07:49:56 PM »
Yeah def want. Thinking orange 54mm range for the aces no risers

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5212 on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:16 PM »
i'm sorry the what nows?

update:

What shop did you see this in?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5213 on: June 20, 2023, 09:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm sorry the what nows?

update:

[close]

What shop did you see this in?

that pic is from calskate, they have all the sizes except the 54s i think

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5214 on: June 20, 2023, 09:23:22 PM »
Oh shit. Cal Skate is one of my locals. Thanks!

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #5215 on: June 20, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
damn look forward to trying those. i was just shooting the shit today at the local park about how much i love spits but the cruisers aren't that special. any idea as to when they hit shops?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #5216 on: June 20, 2023, 11:28:45 PM »
so i don't math a lot but isn't the 101 core gonna make these harder than 90?

also, i really want to see the purple ones, someone show me the purple ones! please!

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #5217 on: June 20, 2023, 11:35:04 PM »
Why this kind of new wheel? There are loads of great cruiser options already, and the Powell Dragons have changed the game in actually really skateable softer wheels. For the ones who like the cheesy candy aesthetic?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5218 on: June 21, 2023, 07:15:11 AM »
damn look forward to trying those. i was just shooting the shit today at the local park about how much i love spits but the cruisers aren't that special. any idea as to when they hit shops?

Cal's are shipping them on June 26th.
Why this kind of new wheel? There are loads of great cruiser options already, and the Powell Dragons have changed the game in actually really skateable softer wheels. For the ones who like the cheesy candy aesthetic?

Spitfire has been lacking in the cruiser wheel game for a bit and people seem to be really into softer options these days.  I bet they've been working on these for awhile. In saying all that the new 80HDs are pretty damn nice.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5219 on: June 21, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
so i don't math a lot but isn't the 101 core gonna make these harder than 90?

also, i really want to see the purple ones, someone show me the purple ones! please!

Link with stock photo:
https://calsk8.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-wheels-sapphires-90du-purple-58mm-wheels