Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720412 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5340 on: August 31, 2023, 09:08:25 AM »
I kinda feel like Spitfire is resting on its laurels. Bones came out with new formulas  with more diverse shapes. And spitfires like bro check it out clear wheels and full size wheels on the biggest shapes.

Spitfire step it up! I don’t like the fact right now I prefer x99. I can’t even look myself in the mirror

This. The clear soft wheel thing is just an uninteresting anomaly, and the full shape trend needs to stop.

Yes, the F4 formula is amazing, but maybe its success has made them a tad too comfortable. New innovations such as the Dragons and the X-Formula (both 97 and 99) are milestones to be honest (regardless of this forum), and I have yet to see similarly impressive things coming from the Spitfire camp. I mean, even the OJ Elite formula is kinda up there with F4.

It could be that I'm just tripping here and underestimating the omnipotency of the F4, but one of these days they need to step it up.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5341 on: August 31, 2023, 09:15:28 AM »
Just keep the Radial Slims in 52 / 54 / 56mm in regular rotation and Spitfire would make at least 7 ppl on here really happy.

I'm feeling slightly bigger wheels these days, a 55 / 56mm Radial Slim would be a fun ride.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

« Reply #5342 on: August 31, 2023, 09:21:07 AM »
Just keep the Radial Slims in 52 / 54 / 56mm in regular rotation and Spitfire would make at least 7 ppl on here really happy.

I'm feeling slightly bigger wheels these days, a 55 / 56mm Radial Slim would be a fun ride.

Seconded. The minute I can find a 55mm Radial Slim somewhere (hopefully someday) I'll stock 'em up like a little squirrel.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5343 on: August 31, 2023, 09:36:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seconded. The minute I can find a 55mm Radial Slim somewhere (hopefully someday) I'll stock 'em up like a little squirrel.

Such a weird move not doing some runs or Radial Slims in favor of say...those lock-in or Radial fulls....one is def more niche than the other.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:57:05 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5344 on: August 31, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »
The kids are fucking loving the big wide wheels. My locals cannot keep them in stock and the Classics just sit there. Ventures with fat wheels is trending with the younguns. When I was at a shop last week they had just gotten a DLX delivery a few days prior and it was mostly 53 and up OG Classics, Conical Fulls, Radial Fulls, Lock in Fulls and the Radials and Locks sold out in 3 days. They didn't even order anything under 53.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5345 on: August 31, 2023, 01:27:24 PM »
Damn it, I just want some radial slims in 99a 52-54mm… last time i saw some was like 3 or more years ago

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5346 on: August 31, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
Damn it, I just want some radial slims in 99a 52-54mm… last time i saw some was like 3 or more years ago

https://www.depop.com/products/mikelscloset-spitfire-wheels-radial-slims-size/?srsltid=AfmBOorK8nZOkbFK4y7yDrdgaME5QlM0iEq_ANTb5aJsxIpNw1HtivNfQtk

I've given up and moved to BONES X99 52/53mm V1 shape. Closest I'll get. 0 complaints (and better for my needs).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5347 on: August 31, 2023, 02:24:14 PM »
Isn't the V2 pretty close? My V5 X99 had the same contact patch width as a spitfire Classic that was lightly worn and were slightly narrower in the middle, but the Radial Slim has a 3mm wider contact patch in a given size and is 4mm narrower in the middle than the Classic.

I'm not super sold on the X99 formula for my needs, is there an F4 Bones equivalent?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5348 on: August 31, 2023, 02:30:20 PM »
Isn't the V2 pretty close? My V5 X99 had the same contact patch width as a spitfire Classic that was lightly worn and were slightly narrower in the middle, but the Radial Slim has a 3mm wider contact patch in a given size and is 4mm narrower in the middle than the Classic.

I'm not super sold on the X99 formula for my needs, is there an F4 Bones equivalent?

Yeah V2 is more like Radial Slims than it is Tablets for sure; sadly they don't make them in x99 yet (or V3s).

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5349 on: August 31, 2023, 02:38:13 PM »

IG: @flowterspace

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #5350 on: August 31, 2023, 09:47:14 PM »
Anybody able to powerslide/speed check on 97s? I can make those puppies yip but not bark, if you know what I mean.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5351 on: August 31, 2023, 10:11:46 PM »
The kids are fucking loving the big wide wheels. My locals cannot keep them in stock and the Classics just sit there. Ventures with fat wheels is trending with the younguns. When I was at a shop last week they had just gotten a DLX delivery a few days prior and it was mostly 53 and up OG Classics, Conical Fulls, Radial Fulls, Lock in Fulls and the Radials and Locks sold out in 3 days. They didn't even order anything under 53.
What shop is this? And do they have 54mm? I have been looking for f4 og classics everwhere  (please don't say you mis typed and its just the regular classics)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5352 on: August 31, 2023, 10:30:01 PM »
Anybody able to powerslide/speed check on 97s? I can make those puppies yip but not bark, if you know what I mean.

On the slippery smooth new concrete skatepark I skate at, they do, but on any normal skatepark or more worn concrete they grip a lot more than the 99s, which is my usual go to for wheels.

I get about the same from them, even though people have said the 97s are a bit slower, but this is my usual go to:

For normal parks = 99 duro wheels

For slippery smooth new parks = 97 duro wheels

I have skated them at other places a bit, but I have different boards, so I put certain boards in the car for the different places I go.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5353 on: September 01, 2023, 03:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What shop is this? And do they have 54mm? I have been looking for f4 og classics everwhere  (please don't say you mis typed and its just the regular classics)

og classics distribution/production is on hold. They might come back later in the rotation.
The only option now seems to be old stock

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #5354 on: September 01, 2023, 03:37:44 AM »
Has anyone here made the switch from 99 to 97 for regular street skating? Even 99's felt a bit rattly for me today and my streets aren't even super crusty or anything.

rikki

« Reply #5355 on: September 01, 2023, 03:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

og classics distribution/production is on hold. They might come back later in the rotation.

Source?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5356 on: September 01, 2023, 04:09:39 AM »
Has anyone here made the switch from 99 to 97 for regular street skating? Even 99's felt a bit rattly for me today and my streets aren't even super crusty or anything.

I have, I'm running with 97A 54mm conical fulls on my main setup right now. I can't see myself ever going back to harder wheels, the overall comfort level is just so much higher that I don't mind sacrificing a bit of slideablilty. I was also never as attached to the sound of harder wheels as some other people on here seem to be, so it's not like my overall experience is in any way diminished. Quite the opposite, I have a smoother ride and need to push less. Highly recommended.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5357 on: September 01, 2023, 04:41:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Source?
prebooks / catalogs

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #5358 on: September 01, 2023, 05:49:31 AM »
Has anyone tried the 97D Spitfire F4 wheels?

I have been using the Bones X97, and really like them. Wondering how the Spitfires compare.

I have one set of each on my two main set-ups, and I personally find the Bones way superior.

The Spit 97s feel basic. Nothing fantastic, just a slightly gummy 97a wheel.

The Bones feel lively and fast
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #5359 on: September 01, 2023, 11:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have, I'm running with 97A 54mm conical fulls on my main setup right now. I can't see myself ever going back to harder wheels, the overall comfort level is just so much higher that I don't mind sacrificing a bit of slideablilty. I was also never as attached to the sound of harder wheels as some other people on here seem to be, so it's not like my overall experience is in any way diminished. Quite the opposite, I have a smoother ride and need to push less. Highly recommended.

I have too, and I've had pretty much the same experience. I live in Nashville and only skate little street spots and the ground is super fucked, besides Legislative Plaza I guess. My best friend even skates like 90as or 85as of some other wheel brand. I might just suck too much to be able to deal with real vibratey, rattley ground while trying my little tricks, but the 2-durometer difference is somehow real beneficial to me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5360 on: September 01, 2023, 01:48:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have too, and I've had pretty much the same experience. I live in Nashville and only skate little street spots and the ground is super fucked, besides Legislative Plaza I guess. My best friend even skates like 90as or 85as of some other wheel brand. I might just suck too much to be able to deal with real vibratey, rattley ground while trying my little tricks, but the 2-durometer difference is somehow real beneficial to me.

x99s is what you're after.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #5361 on: September 24, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »
Just wanted to say I miss the og classic shape. I just went from riding 60s and risers to 55 and no risers. Wanted easier pop while my ankles healing and it’s a godsend. Just sucks the conical/CF are only 54 and 56. Riding tablets now and like em a lot but I like the look of the fuller wheels . My partner had the og classic 55s and they look so sick

rikki

« Reply #5362 on: September 24, 2023, 07:52:28 AM »
Just wanted to say I miss the og classic shape. I just went from riding 60s and risers to 55 and no risers. Wanted easier pop while my ankles healing and it’s a godsend. Just sucks the conical/CF are only 54 and 56. Riding tablets now and like em a lot but I like the look of the fuller wheels . My partner had the og classic 55s and they look so sick

Yes, there's something special about the 55mm OG Classics. Currently have them on one of my setups, they've been worn down to 54-ish, but still, just an awesome all-around wheel.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5363 on: September 28, 2023, 03:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes these are amazing wheels! Really versatile and fast as f*ck. They are almost as good as X97 on not so great terrain and in the park they also keep speed pretty much as well as F4 101.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5364 on: September 28, 2023, 04:10:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes these are amazing wheels! Really versatile and fast as f*ck. They are almost as good as X97 on not so great terrain and in the park they also keep speed pretty much as well as F4 101.
So tempted about trying X99 after being on F4 99 for I don't even how long.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #5365 on: September 28, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
Radial Slims are an aesthetically very nice wheel to look at, really loved them.

I just hope Classic Fulls make a comeback, imo its the only full shape that doesnt feel too....full-y, the rounded edges take some weight off too.

rikki

« Reply #5366 on: September 28, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »
What do we have to do to get Radial Slims back? I'm willing to perform a ceremonial sacrifice if needed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5367 on: September 28, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »
Sadly, the 8 of us on these forums that want the wheel, even if we e-mailed or DM'd like men, everyday, we'd never get them ;)

Bones x99 V1 are my go to instead these days as I like a thin(ner wheel) and sadly Spit doesn't offer anything that suits me.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #5368 on: September 28, 2023, 12:16:49 PM »
when did Formula 4s first released? I don't remember when that happened, as I was probably broke and not paying attention to what people with money buy. I feel like Spitfire popularity really ramped up when F4s showed up. I could be mistaken.

If Spitfire made a new formula, would they call it the formula 5? Or would they try to keep to keep the Formula 4 branding? like an F4+ or something?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #5369 on: September 28, 2023, 12:31:27 PM »
when did Formula 4s first released? I don't remember when that happened, as I was probably broke and not paying attention to what people with money buy. I feel like Spitfire popularity really ramped up when F4s showed up. I could be mistaken.

If Spitfire made a new formula, would they call it the formula 5? Or would they try to keep to keep the Formula 4 branding? like an F4+ or something?

Check the beginning of this thread. I'm not sure why they'd need a new formula. They could obviously try the current soft wheel that slides thing that has everyone excited about Bones again but that might be an addition to not a replacement for F4s... who knows... It will take a lot to get me off F4s at this point.