Author Topic: Beatrice Domond pro for FA very soon  (Read 278351 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
Re: Beatrice Domond pro for FA very soon
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2022, 01:35:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Finally peeped the Instagram account and... Was extremely disappointed. 50's, kickflips and noseslides we're pretty much the only thing I've seen done. Sorry, but I've seen unknown girls better than this. We already know it's who you know, not what you know.
[close]

same, I just took a look at her instagram and came out of thinking, is she super tall because she so stiff and unnaturally bends her knees on all her tricks
[close]
I think someone on her said something about her having style? I was thinking to myself does this person know what having a good style means? Not saying mine is any better or anything, but if you're going to do simple things just make it look good, ya know? I usually keep things like this to myself, but it really got me thinking about the word "pro" and what it means to have your name on a board in this day in age. This is where the lines get blurred and will probably be the second death of skateboarding like all those years ago. That's just my opinion. Not mad about it or anything, just sad that something I love it becoming more strange to me every year. Call me out of touch I don't care.
[close]

Well it is FA/Hockey,so she won’t literally have her name on a board (see: Todd, Diego)
[close]

Diego's name was on top. They all get top graphics with their name on it.

Beatrice is an interesting one. She hasn't progressed since 2013/14, and has actually regressed since she's been in the limelight. I do think it's sick Dill literally came across her randomly 10 years ago and started flowing her boards from one clip. I do see the appeal, and how she is a role model for girls, in particular in the black community.

As a side note do you think much is made about Vans obvious corporate push to cover all minorities and demographics? Arin was offered a contract when her clip went viral, Beatrice was given a clothing range within months of being signed, Cher got a blank cheque put in front of them when they appeared in a Supreme video. Literally put on a guy with no legs on. I'm all for inclusivity in skateboarding but when a corporation is involved I just can't help but think about the sincerely of it all. All just seems so icky yet they are praised for their diversity.
Vans isn't doing anything the other companies aren't also doing. Felipe Nunez rips legs or not. Maybe different in Aus because we don't get vans ads but watch tv and Nike and Adidas have ads every day highlighting how progressive they are even tho they're dog as

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2022, 02:26:20 AM »
Does Dill get a pass for exploiting a specific demographic over and over and over?

Representation matters, but I don't know if she has any sort of side project or something that makes up for her lack of skill.
artist, photograph, model, on her way to create a brand
that's the whole package you sometimes have or rather get / are offered / NEED to develop AFTER being scouted and put in the limelight by Strobeck.
Pretty unfair to other women that aren't such a token (that's looking at it only through a meritocratic lens though) but this is skateboarding

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElementFlip101/videos

It's going to happen more and more in the influence marketing era we now live in
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:15:07 AM by BALARGUE »

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -66
  • ???
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
i want a half part from her in a violet video with a guest pro board first, than turn her pro for FA half a year after , she deserves to be pro but , not pro af based on her current body of work

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
i'm not mad at it, but it does seem like she won the lottery of skateboarding in a way, it's like every random skatepark kid in nowhere usa's delusional dream of being sponsored taken to the extreme. it gets said over and over, but the whole purpose of the pro distinction is to slap somebody who is popular's name on stuff in an effort to move product, she has a following, the stuff will sell. i think we'll only continue to see more "influencer" type people getting sponsored/turning pro for brands, but i'm just as sure there will be no shortage of obscure high skill rippers killing themselves for a shot at sk8 fame, nobody needs to worry.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2022, 08:23:36 AM »
I’m old. So I don’t have my ear to the streets as I once may have. But who is she popular amongst? Aside from slap I never hear or see her mentioned abd from the vans colorway. I just kinda thought she was like a homie hang around for FA camp that’s not good but homies so they get a clip in a video. But seeing people say she’s an icon and popular etc but to who? Crusty diy hang arounds to skate park energy drink babies there’s no talk. But the one  hype beast type guy I  know and he don’t lurk slap knew who she is but also thinks FA is so cool etc. so is that the only group who knows her,The very trendy kids?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »
i’ve just always been really bummed out about how religious she is

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2022, 09:38:05 AM »
Skill wise I don't think she's good enough to be a pro skater. But I will say this, if the persons who run arguably the most successful board brand of current times think you have something that warrants a pro board, then I guess you warrant a pro board. It's as simple as that.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
Skill wise I don't think she's good enough to be a pro skater. But I will say this, if the persons who run arguably the most successful board brand of current times think you have something that warrants a pro board, then I guess you warrant a pro board. It's as simple as that.

Would you say FA is / was more successful than peak Girl/Chocolate, World Industries, Powell or others ?

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »

Nelly is an example of a non male rider on a trendy brand that doesn't seem like she's being exploited for being female. She tries really hard and eats shit for clips. I don't blame Beatrice for taking the opportunity but it's not a good move on the company's part in the long run to overmarket your rider before she's made her stamp on her own skating. I think she will sell boards in the short run but will run out of steam as having female skaters on your team becomes less and less of an abnormality. Anyways, I hope Nelly turns pro before Beatrice but I don't think that'll be the case.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »

Didn’t know, she was religious. That’s a major turn-off.

@camel filters Nelly rips.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2022, 11:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would you say FA is / was more successful than peak Girl/Chocolate, World Industries, Powell or others ?

No, but those brands were competing in a much less diluted field. Skateboarding is so much more massive now than when any of those companies were at their peak, no one now could ever have the reach that Powell had from like ‘82-‘89. Not possible any longer.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2022, 12:06:52 PM »
Just make Neckface & Atiba pro for Baker next...just feels forced - the skills are just not there.
Free Charlie Rambo

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2022, 12:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No but also:

arguably the most successful board brand of current times

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2022, 12:37:01 PM »
Just make Neckface & Atiba pro for Baker next...just feels forced - the skills are just not there.

Better than atiba or neck but still #neverforget

alecjahr

• Rep: -111
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »
I saw the order sheet to pre order her board over a month ago.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Does she get a free pass for faking the fire hydrant ollie?
[close]

Wait what happened?

I won't post it since there's not a consensus on the ethics of this matter. For example, Aaron Snyder argued that a mag photo is a "representation" of a trick (i.e., it's ok to print the bail if you made the trick). Also, for stills, it is sometimes difficult to tell which one was the make, so they print the one with the best composition.

But in this case, there is no way she made it when the photo was taken, though it could have been landed before or after. And the photographer started shooting and working the angles after she clearly was not going to land it. There's also a 20 minute youtube video discussing the cover with no video footage of the trick.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait what happened?
[close]

I won't post it since there's not a consensus on the ethics of this matter. For example, Aaron Snyder argued that a mag photo is a "representation" of a trick (i.e., it's ok to print the bail if you made the trick). Also, for stills, it is sometimes difficult to tell which one was the make, so they print the one with the best composition.

But in this case, there is no way she made it when the photo was taken, though it could have been landed before or after. And the photographer started shooting and working the angles after she clearly was not going to land it. There's also a 20 minute youtube video discussing the cover with no video footage of the trick.
If it’s the juice cover they might have picked one with a wrong posture (one could argue it’s a bail)
Poor choice from the photograph I guess.
But prints have not been the makes for decades.
It’s no problem if you landed it at some point.
It’s not « faking it ». It’s just how it’s done
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:27:53 PM by BALARGUE »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
It’s just a photo on a forum. I see no issue of ethics. Here you go.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »
I like Beatrice.

I like the way she skates, it’s unique and she makes it work. I started following her a couple years ago after seeing her do a bs 180 ollie, and likes the style.

I quit following her because as she got popular there was less skating more ‘lifestyle’ stuff that I didn’t care for.

I think she’s Jewish, and is studying the language. Which I don’t have any problem with. She doesn’t seem bigoted at all, so as long as you’re a good human I don’t care what god you believe in.

Should she be pro? She’s definitely not at that ‘level’ of skating. But Skateboarding exists within Capitalism, and companies need to sell boards. Sorry if it breaks ‘the rules’, but moving bloards, shoes, and energy drinks trumps all.

If you don’t like the business choices, that’s between you, Dill, and the shitty reality of our economic system. Beatrice’s skating is beside the point.

But here’s a thought experiment.

There are only two boards in the shop with the dimensions you want.

One is a pro board for a fucking ripper, but who is a shitty person in real life. You can fill in the name.

The other is Beatrice’s, a rad person, but a mediocre skater.

Which do you buy?

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2022, 06:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait what happened?
[close]

[close]
If it’s the juice cover they might have picked one with a wrong posture (one could argue it’s a bail)

I watched the whole thing from across the street. At the time it was shot, I see no way she could ever have made it (even if you subscribe to the "representation" excuse, is it still ok if the trick was landed at a later time?). Approach was too slow, she didn't use the bump, and was ollieing in front of and to the side of the hydrant. When I saw the photographer shooting instead of waiting for her to get close to landing, I knew it was a fraud. Thrasher once had a section for this.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2022, 08:17:48 PM »
I like Beatrice.

I like the way she skates, it’s unique and she makes it work. I started following her a couple years ago after seeing her do a bs 180 ollie, and likes the style.

I quit following her because as she got popular there was less skating more ‘lifestyle’ stuff that I didn’t care for.

I think she’s Jewish, and is studying the language. Which I don’t have any problem with. She doesn’t seem bigoted at all, so as long as you’re a good human I don’t care what god you believe in.

Should she be pro? She’s definitely not at that ‘level’ of skating. But Skateboarding exists within Capitalism, and companies need to sell boards. Sorry if it breaks ‘the rules’, but moving bloards, shoes, and energy drinks trumps all.

If you don’t like the business choices, that’s between you, Dill, and the shitty reality of our economic system. Beatrice’s skating is beside the point.

One is a pro board for a fucking ripper, but who is a shitty person in real life. You can fill in the name.

Which do you buy?

What’s the board brand of the shitty person?

Also, please show us that bs 180.  I’m curious how stylish it was to merit a follow.   

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2022, 09:24:37 PM »

Would you be as bummed if she was Muslim?

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
I like Beatrice.

Which do you buy?

Ever seen Wayne's world? You're like the shitty Beatles

dannyprovolone

« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2022, 09:27:35 PM »
I feel like we are being trolled here

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2022, 09:30:29 PM »
I feel like we are being trolled here

Well she does ride for supreme and they always troll customers by purposely putting out useless products

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2022, 09:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I like Beatrice.

Which do you buy?
[close]

Are they any good?

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2022, 10:08:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like Beatrice.

Which do you buy?
[close]

[close]

Are they any good?

The suck.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2022, 10:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like Beatrice.

Which do you buy?
[close]

[close]

Are they any good?
[close]

The suck.

So it’s not just a clever name

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2022, 12:14:02 AM »
Can't wait for her pro part set to some edgy  white supremacist grindcore or whatever. I mean Legion of Doom may be sus humans but can't argue with those riffs, and if you can't separate the art from the artist you're just a kook.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2022, 02:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait what happened?
[close]

[close]
[close]

I watched the whole thing from across the street. At the time it was shot, I see no way she could ever have made it (even if you subscribe to the "representation" excuse, is it still ok if the trick was landed at a later time?). Approach was too slow, she didn't use the bump, and was ollieing in front of and to the side of the hydrant. When I saw the photographer shooting instead of waiting for her to get close to landing, I knew it was a fraud. Thrasher once had a section for this.

well i don't know what's her ethics and if she really landed it but i'll give her the benefit of the doubt because the whole industry subscribe to what you call the representation excuse. that's just how you take skateboarding photos (countless instances of skaters being dressed different on footage and on photo).