Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945608 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10170 on: August 19, 2023, 05:21:45 PM »
Theater Camp was actually really good, one of the better/funnier things I’ve seen this year.  Wish I’d gotten to that one sooner.

Also Blue Beetle was better than I expected.  It was silly but also pretty entertaining.  The audience really enjoyed it - lots of Latinos in my theater - it got big applause at the credits.  Props to your buddy @Atiba Applebum.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter was only watchable because André Øvredal is a solid visualist, but the script was really clunky.

Jules had the opposite problem.  Though I ultimately enjoyed it, Marc Turtletaub isn’t really a director, and I had to go see Oppenheimer again afterwards to get my eyes right.

Wait, so Jules looked like shit but had a good script?

Jebediah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #10171 on: August 20, 2023, 05:21:07 PM »

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10172 on: August 21, 2023, 06:48:03 PM »
Saw Misery for the first time. It was way better than I expected.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #10173 on: August 21, 2023, 08:35:25 PM »
Got a pretty full but solid lineup of throwback movies in theaters this week

Saw the Pee-wee movie that Tim Burton did this past Saturday night

Tomorrow night I'm going to see Rope
This one theater has been showing a bunch of Hitchcock movies lately, I think cause it would be his birthday this month

Wednesday night I'm seeing the Jean-Luc Godard movie Contempt for the first time

Then finally Thursday night I'm seeing Oldboy, this other theater has been showing it this past week cause it's the 20th anniversary of its release

Also depending on how much work I need to get done that day, I might go see an A.M. showing of Ponyo on Wednesday morning

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10174 on: August 23, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »
Adult Swim seems like they might be on one with these direct to VOD movies. Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar was a really good finale to a show that I thought was maybe trying to make up a gibberish mythology. Still it all makes enough sense in the end and there's plenty of new user friendly death metal to listen to. Dehtklock has basically been Gorillaz in the DM genre the whole time and I'd be happy of they kept the music side of the project going with twice a decade album releases. I did watch The Doomstar Requiem right before mostly to refresh my memory but also because that's probably my favorite Brendon Small thing. That gets better for me on rewatch.

The credits have a tribute to Jon Schnepp who was a character designer for the show. I didn't know he had died a few years ago but I knew him a little bit. We went to the same art high school and, since he was a few years older than me, he came in to give a talk about what it is to be a working artist. Here's sorta how it goes and what you're signing up for. Mostly he talked at length about an Ant-Man series pitch that Marvel passed on. It was fascinating because in that era you had almost no look in to what trying to work for Marvel was even like. It may have been an audience of one but it was super illuminating to me. Then I ran into him like a year later at a Jane's Addiction/Rollins Band show and we both clarified that we were there for Rollins. RIP to the first working fan I ever met.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10175 on: August 24, 2023, 09:04:18 AM »
The Quiet Man - wholesome Irish John Wayne movie

Rewatches: The Truman Show, The Lighthouse, The Gentlemen, and Beverly Hills Cop

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #10176 on: August 25, 2023, 04:10:14 PM »
Extraction II and Barb & Starr Go To Vista Del Mar

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #10177 on: August 26, 2023, 11:30:29 AM »
I was skeptical of Bones and All, thinking it was just going to be shock and body horror, but it was a surprisingly heart-felt, coming of age road trip movie about....  Cannibals.

Not nearly as gruesome as Guadagnino's Suspiria adaption.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1179
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10178 on: August 30, 2023, 10:35:37 PM »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10179 on: August 31, 2023, 01:38:54 AM »
https://youtu.be/eG37UgCZqKM?si=GU_DOIVNgtvl5JRs

This is kind of a quaint, low-budget romantic-comedy about an alcoholic hitman who has to lay low and work at a funeral parlor for a while, but whenever Ben Kingsley starts talking about killing ppl in his AA meetings -- and the faces his sponsor Luke Wilson makes -- it just gets me.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #10180 on: August 31, 2023, 03:27:50 AM »
Two Hands (1998)
just fukn love that movie

I know some people hated it and while I didn't exactly love it I thought it was pretty alright. I did appreciate the fast pace, shorter runtime (maybe I should just accept I'm a dummy with short attention span these days) but I could say it felt a little empty. Didn't like any of the Dino designs either but that's pretty minimal when deciding if a movie is good or bad.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:00:18 AM by Mean salto »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #10181 on: August 31, 2023, 04:35:51 AM »
I have no idea why i put this one off for so long…. I was cracking up the whole time. Then towards the end it goes from 0-100mph. Song Kang-ho was also in this film, the Drug King that i really enjoyed...

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

wo_bauer

• Rep: 4
  • ok
« Reply #10182 on: August 31, 2023, 07:04:27 AM »
I finally saw Resident Evil Death Island and it was satisfactory and serviceable. As a fun romp it worked, the oneliners were so bad it's good.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10183 on: August 31, 2023, 07:32:06 AM »
Watched Ronin again. I’d say it’s Guy Richie levels in terms of rewatching.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #10184 on: August 31, 2023, 09:04:59 AM »
I took my dad to see Indiana Jones 5 in the theater, just to say we went together to see them all over 42(?) years.

It was somewhat better than Crystal Skull. Less dumb plot overall, less bad CG, less Lebeouf. It still feels adequately like an Indiana Jones movie. A surprising bit of pathos. I liked Fleabag but her character isn’t written cohesively.

On the negative side, there’s way too much CG period - character’s faces are pasted on digital doubles constantly, a lot of locations look fake and Marvel-like, the chases are too plentiful and don’t convey place and logic like Spielberg can (still some clever bits), some plot holes feel like they are entirely caused by script meddling/carelessness, and there is a bit of a meanness that seems out of tradition with the franchise, having bad guys killing civilians willy nilly.

As a fan I’d give it a 6.5 or 7 but I’m not sure if someone with no affinity for the series would rate it that high.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10185 on: August 31, 2023, 09:19:08 AM »
I took my dad to see Indiana Jones 5 in the theater, just to say we went together to see them all over 42(?) years.

It was somewhat better than Crystal Skull. Less dumb plot overall, less bad CG, less Lebeouf. It still feels adequately like an Indiana Jones movie. A surprising bit of pathos. I liked Fleabag but her character isn’t written cohesively.

On the negative side, there’s way too much CG period - character’s faces are pasted on digital doubles constantly, a lot of locations look fake and Marvel-like, the chases are too plentiful and don’t convey place and logic like Spielberg can (still some clever bits), some plot holes feel like they are entirely caused by script meddling/carelessness, and there is a bit of a meanness that seems out of tradition with the franchise, having bad guys killing civilians willy nilly.

As a fan I’d give it a 6.5 or 7 but I’m not sure if someone with no affinity for the series would rate it that high.

Yeah I gave it a very favorable 7.5.   Would probably never watch it again, but it just gave me some nostalgia hits that 4 never did.   I thought the tuk tuk chase scene was fun and the idea with the eels was clever.   

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10186 on: August 31, 2023, 08:38:44 PM »
Not a movie but Asoka on Disney plus.

I love star wars. I've loved Rosario Dawson since the moment I first saw her.

Her in everything and Jenifer Lopez as Selena. There's nothing else on earth to compare them too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #10187 on: September 01, 2023, 07:31:07 AM »
Just rewatched Drive, definitely one of my favourite films, it has this David Lynch like mystical quality to it but without anything actually supernatural in it. Could look at those images forever.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10188 on: September 01, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »
Just rewatched Drive, definitely one of my favourite films, it has this David Lynch like mystical quality to it but without anything actually supernatural in it. Could look at those images forever.

Top 25 or so for me…. The soundtrack is fantastic too.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10189 on: September 05, 2023, 10:35:28 PM »
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was a great movie. Clint Eastwood and a super young Jeff Bridges as amateur thiefs with a super heartfelt aspect to it. Watched on Criterion

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10190 on: September 05, 2023, 11:14:51 PM »
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was a great movie. Clint Eastwood and a super young Jeff Bridges as amateur thiefs with a super heartfelt aspect to it. Watched on Criterion
Criterion's lineup this month is pretty heavy
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10191 on: September 06, 2023, 10:48:48 AM »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10192 on: September 06, 2023, 10:14:30 PM »
Put "Apocalypto" on in the background last night while cleaning up around the house. I tried watching it once before years ago and couldn't really get into it, was probably too young.

Mel Gibson is a mega-kook p.o.s. and the film undoubtedly suffers from all sorts of historical inaccuracies, as well as portrayals of indigenous ppl as savages and a white savior theme, etc....but when the main character, Jaguar Paw, made his escape from his captors and began the journey home to rescue his wife and kids, all while being hunted, I was entranced, had to stop what I was doing and give it my full attention until the end credits.  Shit was intense.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10193 on: September 06, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
Put "Apocalypto" on in the background last night while cleaning up around the house. I tried watching it once before years ago and couldn't really get into it, was probably too young.

Mel Gibson is a mega-kook p.o.s. and the film undoubtedly suffers from all sorts of historical inaccuracies, as well as portrayals of indigenous ppl as savages and a white savior theme, etc....but when the main character, Jaguar Paw, made his escape from his captors and began the journey home to rescue his wife and kids, all while being hunted, I was entranced, had to stop what I was doing and give it my full attention until the end credits.  Shit was intense.

It’s been awhile, but what’s the white savior theme?   I don’t remember there being any Europeans in there until that end shot

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10194 on: September 06, 2023, 10:57:12 PM »
I think the white savior theme is encapsulated in the arrival of the conquistadors or whatever at the end, essentially they're supposedly bringing the order necessary to save the natives from themselves.

Edit: I do agree that reading is up for interpretation, and is opposed by Jaguar Paw's instinctual decision to run away from the conquistadors.

The fact that Gibson is such a born again nutjob with so little capacity for opposing viewpoints, however, I have a hard time believing that he would possess enough self-reflection to portray a boatload of missionaries wielding a cross as anything but positive.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 11:06:22 PM by EdLawndale »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #10195 on: September 06, 2023, 10:59:22 PM »
I think it's meant to be a bit more like out of the frypan into the fire type of thing.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10196 on: September 07, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »

Love that movie. Love the issues of Thrasher and Slap that appear in his closet.

I was so hyped when the volcano scene hit because I actually stayed in that town.

Great soundtrack too.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10197 on: September 07, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »
Trees Lounge has been on my list forever and I wasn’t disappointed at all.  Can definitely see how David Chase found inspiration for The Sopranos in this one.  It feels a bit like Scorsese meets Jarmusch.  Buscemi is a great director and the cast is fantastic.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10198 on: September 07, 2023, 12:32:03 PM »
Trees Lounge has been on my list forever and I wasn’t disappointed at all.  Can definitely see how David Chase found inspiration for The Sopranos in this one.  It feels a bit like Scorsese meets Jarmusch.  Buscemi is a great director and the cast is fantastic.

I remember seeing this on Netflix randomly…. Miss those days when they had great indie films.

Like this one:

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #10199 on: September 07, 2023, 01:48:29 PM »
Trees Lounge might be the greatest depiction of alcoholics in cinema. Every town has a Trees Lounge.

Seen parts of Jerry and Tom. Would like to see from start to finish.

What about The Last Rights of Joe May? Holy Shit what a movie. Dennis Farina is an all time Heavy…