Author Topic: Marc Johnson, “Business” person  (Read 30655 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Marc Johnson, “Business” person
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2024, 08:33:30 AM »
You could almost sort of blame what happened on Adidas though too.

Just speculating but I feel like MC might’ve been a little jealous and worried of Marc leaving to Adidas

Dude you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about but you keep writing essays telling everyone what happened.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2024, 08:50:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Just speculating but I feel like MC might’ve been a little jealous and worried of Marc leaving to Adidas
[close]

Dude you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about but you keep writing essays telling everyone what happened.

Well, he might be onto something.   Dan Wheatley once took a trip to Portland to visit friends.   Mike got wind of it, freaked out and called him in for a Monday morning early meeting where Wheatley had to promise he wasn’t there to meet with Nike or Adidas

Zx35pow

• Rep: -4
« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2024, 09:20:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Alright well I worked in the industry for over a decade and remember what my bosses and people would say to me and talk I would hear. I was just speculating about MC being jealous. You don’t have to get all butt hurt. I can admit I’ve been jealous of people before and got over it.

steele

• Rep: 32
« Reply #213 on: January 04, 2024, 09:39:27 AM »
I think it's more Carroll paranoia than jealously.

Lakai had its entire line up dissected by corporate footwear companies.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: January 04, 2024, 10:17:59 AM »
I think it's more Carroll paranoia than jealously.

Lakai had its entire line up dissected by corporate footwear companies.

It’s gotta be frustrating when the designs you ripped off to make skate versions of become skate versions by the companies that originally designed the shoes

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Alright well I worked in the industry for over a decade and remember what my bosses and people would say to me and talk I would hear. I was just speculating about MC being jealous. You don’t have to get all butt hurt. I can admit I’ve been jealous of people before and got over it.

Can always spot a kook when they tell another person arguing against them that they are "butt hurt."

Zx35pow

« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2024, 12:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can always spot a kook when they tell another person arguing against them that they are "butt hurt."

You are getting all “butt hurt” are you not? Once again you DO NOT have to get all butt hurt but I bet you will 😂

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2024, 01:07:57 PM »
Yes you are right. My butt is hurt because you have bested me in a battle of wits. Mike Carroll is a terrible human being for treating Marc Johnson like the modern day Jeffrey Epstein because Marc Johnson is a well balanced, healthy individual who has had his career destroyed by evil industry figures. My butt will be hurt for a long time because of this. Bravo.

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2024, 01:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Adidas knew that Marc’s mental health was on a downturn when they acquired him. They had no  intention of him being a productive pro skater, they just knew the drama would shine a negative light on crail therefor putting the nail in the lakai coffin. These big brands are playing chess not checkers.
[close]

yes, adidas, a multibillion dollar multinational conglomerate was like "you know what would really mess with lakai? if we poach MJ, pay him his entire contract, and let him not produce anything except one weird commercial where he talks to his shoe. that'll really get their goat!"

LOL!

Zx35pow

« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2024, 01:44:12 PM »
Yes you are right. My butt is hurt because you have bested me in a battle of wits. Mike Carroll is a terrible human being for treating Marc Johnson like the modern day Jeffrey Epstein because Marc Johnson is a well balanced, healthy individual who has had his career destroyed by evil industry figures. My butt will be hurt for a long time because of this. Bravo.

We are all capable of being terrible humans imo and I don’t think MC is a total jerk 24/7 either. What most people don’t realize is unless you’re Jeffery Epstein “no matter how far wrong you’ve gone, you can always turn around” that’s a Bill Callahan lyric

I truly hope Marc is able to turn things around eventually because at times I’ve felt very discouraged how B&C has been run and a little butt hurt too. I really just wish he was l around to make us all laugh and share his amazing talent with us

If anyone can track down Marc tell him I’ll rep B&C for free until he’s able to get back on his feet again

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3371
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2024, 04:07:36 PM »
I had no idea that Carroll poached Wheatberry from the Portland Port Authority…this thread is industry gossip pay dirt!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2024, 04:44:25 PM »
Has MC ever shat on SJ?

I think I read a first hand account that Scott left the office with Lakai sneakers he was designing and brought them to a job interview with adidas for show and tell.

That’s some big dickin’ for Mr clean!

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2024, 06:44:31 PM »

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2024, 09:06:57 PM »
Has MC ever shat on SJ?

I think I read a first hand account that Scott left the office with Lakai sneakers he was designing and brought them to a job interview with adidas for show and tell.

If true, I don't envy SJ in that situation, where every unreleased sample of your work -- every design you create under a w-m-f-h contract -- is basically your current company's proprietary information as soon as you come up with it. So sharing it with prospective employers would be immediately crossing a line. That's tough. I wonder why SJ couldn't just show Adidas a portfolio of his designs that had already been produced/released?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2024, 09:26:48 PM »

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2024, 09:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Has MC ever shat on SJ?

[close]

If true, I don't envy SJ in that situation, where every unreleased sample of your work -- every design you create under a w-m-f-h contract -- is basically your current company's proprietary information as soon as you come up with it. So sharing it with prospective employers would be immediately crossing a line. That's tough. I wonder why SJ couldn't just show Adidas a portfolio of his designs that had already been produced/released?

What was in your interview portfolio?

I just brought in project based stuff. It wasn’t anything too elaborate. I probably just had a mood board that would show someone the what, where, and why as a one-pager. I’m sure I also peppered in some sketches and final product ads. I think it was basically a mix of everything I did. I also brought in a duffle bag of samples in various stages. I remember the interviewers being like, “Wait, what? You brought in physical shoes?” They were pretty surprised, but I think it helped for them to hold something in their hands while I was talking through my process.

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/scott-johnston-shoe-designer

If I brought unreleased product to a competitor and then discussed it in a public forum I could get sued because I was required to sign a non-disclosure. I’m sure the adidas employee was surprised by Scott because adidas would sue any employee leaving the facility with samples.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2024, 09:55:59 PM »
Yeah, that's wild. I guess the skate industry is still pretty fast and loose. On my job hunt, I had to create a mock example of the sort of work I do, with all fictional information, and sent it out with a disclaimer clearly stating such. I can't imagine how you do that when they own your creative ideas. After I got the job, my new boss told me it would have been major red flags to just send them proprietary info from my old job; I'd have never been hired.

Forgive my ignorance, but did SJ excel at Adidas?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2024, 10:08:00 PM »
Yeah, that's wild. I guess the skate industry is still pretty fast and loose. On my job hunt, I had to create a mock example of the sort of work I do, with all fictional information, and sent it out with a disclaimer clearly stating such. I can't imagine how you do that when they own your creative ideas. After I got the job, my new boss told me it would have been major red flags to just send them proprietary info from my old job. I'd have never been hired.

When I was 20 something I went to a job interview and showed sales figures to illustrate how lousy the current company I was working for was doing and why I was looking for another job and the interviewer told me to put that back in my pocket and he broke from our lunch meeting early. It’s so hard to know what to do in a job interview when asked why you want to leave your current job.

I think Scott became their lead designer but I just checked his LinkedIn and it looks like he just left the company and is consulting in LA.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2024, 05:00:24 AM »
hope marcs ok

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2024, 05:57:17 AM »
Yeah, that's wild. I guess the skate industry is still pretty fast and loose. On my job hunt, I had to create a mock example of the sort of work I do, with all fictional information, and sent it out with a disclaimer clearly stating such. I can't imagine how you do that when they own your creative ideas. After I got the job, my new boss told me it would have been major red flags to just send them proprietary info from my old job; I'd have never been hired.

u had to crunch an example excel .csv and show your work and that somehow makes u feel entitled to talk paternal ?!

in keeping with topic:

mike carroll is better than marc johnson at skateboarding

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2024, 01:48:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

u had to crunch an example excel .csv and show your work and that somehow makes u feel entitled to talk paternal ?!

in keeping with topic:

What does “better” even mean? I like MC’s skating more personally but if you’re strictly talking maneuvers and technical ability it’s MJ all day.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1160
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2024, 12:10:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in keeping with topic:

Yeah sure, one of the most innovative street skaters of the past two decades versus a feeble-on-a-ledge-ass type of guy... smh

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2024, 12:23:40 PM »
what did MJ innovate over the last two decades? being kind of insufferable in interviews, faking your style, and padding out a part with dumb combo tricks?

edit: just to clarify MJ is super talented and has put out several parts i really enjoy but i have no idea how you could call him more innovative than one of the guys who helped shape modern street skateboarding and whose impact we're still feeling three decades on

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 12:40:21 PM by Ignatius J Reilly »

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2024, 12:28:28 PM »
what did MJ innovate over the last two decades? being kind of insufferable in interviews, faking your style, and padding out a part with dumb combo tricks?

Also the alcoholic arm steez.

I’d say if we are talking about pure skating mj is more innovative. But if you count crailtap which is a group effort there is an argument that mc is more innovative.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2024, 12:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in keeping with topic:

[close]

What does “better” even mean? I like MC’s skating more personally but if you’re strictly talking maneuvers and technical ability it’s MJ all day.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

in keeping with topic:

[close]

Yeah sure, one of the most innovative street skaters of the past two decades versus a feeble-on-a-ledge-ass type of guy... smh

I love them both but I prefer MC. He is legendary.. So smooth. He just has it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2024, 01:25:59 PM »
Yeah obviously "who's better" is a subjective opinion, and MJ is one of the most gifted skaters of all time in technical ability, but Carroll is also technically gifted and also throughout his career has been really good at transition, can huck off a launch ramp, skated big rails, and occasionally big sets of stairs (double and triple sets). Also as mentioned was on of THE top innovators of street skating in it's infancy. So objectively speaking as far as all around skateboard ability, I would say Mike Carroll is definitely better than Marc Johnson.

Subjectively speaking, fuck yeah most definitely Mike Carroll is better. Better style, better trick selection, better spot selection.

a feeble-on-a-ledge-ass type of guy

This is a fucking insane statement to sum up Mike Carroll as holy shit.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -525
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2024, 01:37:53 PM »

edit: just to clarify MJ is super talented and has put out several parts i really enjoy but i have no idea how you could call him more innovative than one of the guys who helped shape modern street skateboarding and whose impact we're still feeling three decades on

Well, seeing that way more people could do this part in its entirety (or any MC part for that matter) than people could recreate an MJ part, I’d say MJ is objectively better.

You put MJ in this part of the world at this time, and he progresses faster and farther too, but that’s my subjective opinion.

This part is unwatchable in 2024, please stop posting it as a positive.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1160
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2024, 01:38:37 PM »
Yeah obviously "who's better" is a subjective opinion, and MJ is one of the most gifted skaters of all time in technical ability, but Carroll is also technically gifted and also throughout his career has been really good at transition, can huck off a launch ramp, skated big rails, and occasionally big sets of stairs (double and triple sets). Also as mentioned was on of THE top innovators of street skating in it's infancy. So objectively speaking as far as all around skateboard ability, I would say Mike Carroll is definitely better than Marc Johnson.

Subjectively speaking, fuck yeah most definitely Mike Carroll is better. Better style, better trick selection, better spot selection.

Expand Quote
[close]

I wanted to drop a lil hot take, as a treat

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2024, 01:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wanted to drop a lil hot take, as a treat

Oooooooh buddy it worked. Had my blood boiling!!!!

Well, seeing that way more people could do this part in its entirety (or any MC part for that matter) than people could recreate an MJ part, I’d say MJ is objectively better.

Luckily this is take is so fucking hot and stupid that anything else anyone posts will seem like some mensa shit for the rest of this thread.

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2024, 01:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You put MJ in this part of the world at this time, and he progresses faster and farther too, but that’s my subjective opinion.

This part is unwatchable in 2024, please stop posting it as a positive.

well, now i'm convinced that you do not skateboard. congrats!