Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 988892 times)

Doosh215

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #7500 on: March 30, 2022, 05:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Technically not directly a skateboarding thing, but these Aryse ankle braces are amazing.
Finally something to stabilize my goopy ankles that doesn't ruin my already terrible trick selection

[close]

My go to every time I tweak my ankle...unless it's REALLY bad then I slap on the beast that is the Etc.

It's my push foot (skating regs, natural stance)....what fucks me up the most are bailed heelflips; however I land on a bailed one, the position of my rear foot send my ankle into the void; I stay away from heelflips these days on flat, if I do them off something I have a better chance to choosing the stick or bails.
[close]

My ankles have been bad since I was a kid, literally at one point the tendons were so stretched out I could fold over on my ankle well beyond normal range and it did nothing.  Which was convenient but also... not great haha

3 years ago I sprained my ankle so bad I literally had to relearn everything, took almost a whole year to be able to kickflip again.

I use these on both ankles all the time now, and I don't see ever skating without them. 

I'm really thinking about getting one of these because I'm currently recovering from a broken left ankle (I'm regular) and I want to be able to get out and at least start pushing around in about a month. It looks a little bulky though will it fit in a normal skate shoe comfortably? And does it bother you at all for flip tricks or anything noticeable when you skate? I'm also hoping to get out of the walking boot in the next 2-3 weeks so do you think it would help make the transition easier from walking in the big ass boot to just walking normally in shoes? I've never had an injury like this and it's bumming me out seeing the weather get nice out and I still can't do shit. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7501 on: March 30, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »
There are different braces for different injuries; coming off a broken foot, personally, I'd go for the etc., then ween off to the Aryse

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #7502 on: March 30, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »
I got a full 8.5 Ishod, from a drop or two ago. Besides doing a crappy grip job, I am digging it so far but have only been able to skate the basement ledge for a few minutes at a time.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #7503 on: March 30, 2022, 06:37:10 PM »
There are different braces for different injuries; coming off a broken foot, personally, I'd go for the etc., then ween off to the Aryse

I would second this.

Coming off something that serious the ETC or a Shock Doctor Figure 6 brace will give your ankle significantly more rigid support.

The Aryse brace is more to prevent from going over normal range of motion, not constant support.

As for once your ankle is back to more normal, the Aryse brace for me hasn't been noticable at all for tricks, only when you fuck something up. Today my foot came off the nose when landing a back 180 and I felt my ankle start to roll over but the brace catches you.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 749
« Reply #7504 on: March 30, 2022, 06:39:18 PM »

Adding this to my shamefully large collection of decks lined up to skate this spring and summer

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7505 on: March 30, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »
Crail mystery box results:

Pretty stoked to try the Phawt shape, I don't mind the graphics at all either. The wheels are 56mm classic shapes with the narrow contact patch. I usually skate conical shaped wheels so at least they're something different I can try.
Nice take. I wouldn’t be disappointed

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7506 on: March 30, 2022, 11:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Technically not directly a skateboarding thing, but these Aryse ankle braces are amazing.
Finally something to stabilize my goopy ankles that doesn't ruin my already terrible trick selection

[close]

My go to every time I tweak my ankle...unless it's REALLY bad then I slap on the beast that is the Etc.

It's my push foot (skating regs, natural stance)....what fucks me up the most are bailed heelflips; however I land on a bailed one, the position of my rear foot has a 75% chance to send my ankle into the void; I stay away from heelflips these days on flat, if I do them off something I have a better chance of choosing the stick or bails.

Edit: I've done ankle rehab since the dawn of my ankle rolls and it still doesn't help me (anymore) but I still do them for preventive measures ; my last severe ankle roll took me out for 6 months and I never recovered properly from that one, it's not a forever tweaked. I'm sitting down typing this and I can feel the tweak. Crazy.

Damn, just bought some. I've finally weaned off of ankle braces, skating just dunk/jordan/nb440 highs tied somewhat tight with the intention of working my way to low tops. But these sound like a good option for that transition, or when I'm skating something a little sketchier or outside my comfort zone.

Does the plastic cage get uncomfortable? And if you wear longer socks can you fold the sock back over to cover the brace somewhat well?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #7507 on: March 31, 2022, 07:47:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

It's my push foot (skating regs, natural stance)....what fucks me up the most are bailed heelflips; however I land on a bailed one, the position of my rear foot has a 75% chance to send my ankle into the void; I stay away from heelflips these days on flat, if I do them off something I have a better chance of choosing the stick or bails.

Edit: I've done ankle rehab since the dawn of my ankle rolls and it still doesn't help me (anymore) but I still do them for preventive measures ; my last severe ankle roll took me out for 6 months and I never recovered properly from that one, it's not a forever tweaked. I'm sitting down typing this and I can feel the tweak. Crazy.
[close]

Damn, just bought some. I've finally weaned off of ankle braces, skating just dunk/jordan/nb440 highs tied somewhat tight with the intention of working my way to low tops. But these sound like a good option for that transition, or when I'm skating something a little sketchier or outside my comfort zone.

Does the plastic cage get uncomfortable? And if you wear longer socks can you fold the sock back over to cover the brace somewhat well?

I barely notice the plastic cage honestly.  I feel it under foot a little when I first put it on but besides that I barely feel like I have anything on.

Can't speak to the sock thing as I never fold mine over but I can check if I remember next time I go skate.
Had some time in between meetings so grabbed a few shots.  These are the lowest profile shoes I own, and it hides pretty well under long socks if you care to.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:16:00 AM by Musicaldeath107 »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7508 on: March 31, 2022, 10:06:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I barely notice the plastic cage honestly.  I feel it under foot a little when I first put it on but besides that I barely feel like I have anything on.

Can't speak to the sock thing as I never fold mine over but I can check if I remember next time I go skate.
Had some time in between meetings so grabbed a few shots.  These are the lowest profile shoes I own, and it hides pretty well under long socks if you care to.

Looks great! Thank you

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7509 on: March 31, 2022, 07:21:15 PM »
These from the SW sale, plus some Brue Mob Grip (not pictured)
I'm on F4 CF but I definitely wanna try some Bones again soon. The OJ's I may try or they could be a gift to a homie down the road that needs wheels.
Super Champion Fun Zone

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 749
« Reply #7510 on: April 01, 2022, 08:18:40 AM »

Got these for my best friend as a birthday gift.  Thought the colorway was sick - especially with the gum sole

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7511 on: April 01, 2022, 09:44:05 AM »

Got these for my best friend as a birthday gift.  Thought the colorway was sick - especially with the gum sole

Best friend level up! +1

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7512 on: April 01, 2022, 09:44:51 AM »
These from the SW sale, plus some Brue Mob Grip (not pictured)
I'm on F4 CF but I definitely wanna try some Bones again soon. The OJ's I may try or they could be a gift to a homie down the road that needs wheels.

Those from Concentrate OJs are hot trash :\ Elite OJs or nothing (seriously).

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #7513 on: April 08, 2022, 08:14:51 PM »
[cross post from setup thread]

Wife surprised me with this new complete.

Super stoked on it.

Needless to say, this setup is a keeper.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 116
« Reply #7514 on: April 08, 2022, 10:21:14 PM »
[cross post from setup thread]

Wife surprised me with this new complete.

Super stoked on it.

Needless to say, this setup is a keeper.

Congrats @ TastyBurrito !
Enjoy your life.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #7515 on: April 10, 2022, 07:30:35 PM »

Recent 35th North haul. Couldnt pass up the puffy Krooked vest and decided to see what all the radial full hypes about. Nice surprise to find a 14"WB on the shaped deck

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7516 on: April 12, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »
58 radial full 99a
97a supercush purp bushings (not pictured)
drunk off the kader kool aid

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

slaab900turbo

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7517 on: April 13, 2022, 01:00:19 PM »
DOA 8.25 Mystery Box.
Some 5.6 Ventures for $10/ea.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #7518 on: April 13, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
Pat just put the new CODA "Band" boards up on the coda site.
I am making a christmas complete for summer skating just got all this.

Coda 9.0 Rowland "Band"
Ace AF1 66 orange/blue baseplate
Ace 1/8" risers
Bender 1" allen hardware
Jivaro 53mm and 56mm (interchangeable depending on what I am riding)
Bronsons (not new, so not a true christmas complete)
ok thanks

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #7519 on: April 16, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »

Oxelo Vulca 500 (insane deal at 25 bucks on sale, second pair I bought to have one on ice)
Venom 1" Silver hardware (very nice, I really need some threads over the nut https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61YO1ibXUfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg)
Ripcare (seems good, way less sticky and thick than Shoe Goo)
Enough speed rings for a lifetime.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
« Reply #7520 on: April 16, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »
Bought two sheets of Miles grip/tape of Sven Kilchenmann who was manning the local.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #7521 on: April 17, 2022, 09:37:20 AM »
Blondey shoes yesterday, Blondey shorts today

I don't care for him, but I am interested in how the shoes hold up. Plus, I wanted to try that Indoor Super sole. Those shorts look like they would be super comfortable for indoors during winter. If they weren't from skate shops, I doubt I would have even considered buying them.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #7522 on: April 21, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »
I need to stop being a gear whore. I only have one setup at a time, so I shouldnt have this many sets of everything else.
today I bought 2x 8.8 magenta logo boards
but in the mail I received one 53mm set of Del Negro Dialtones, and some of the free bearings they were doing with purchase, and some tough stuff hardware, along with two tees and a bunch of zines.
Oh yeah in the magenta order I got another hat (even worse, another magenta hat) and another magenta tee.
Kind of a sucker for magenta you might say.
ok thanks

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7523 on: April 21, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »
I need to stop being a gear whore. I only have one setup at a time, so I shouldnt have this many sets of everything else.
today I bought 2x 8.8 magenta logo boards
but in the mail I received one 53mm set of Del Negro Dialtones, and some of the free bearings they were doing with purchase, and some tough stuff hardware, along with two tees and a bunch of zines.
Oh yeah in the magenta order I got another hat (even worse, another magenta hat) and another magenta tee.
Kind of a sucker for magenta you might say.

Magenta is rad.
IG: @flowterspace

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #7524 on: April 22, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »
Finally copped the Carl aikens deck to skate. Have had it in my cart for so long and finally got myself to buy it. Looking forward to skating a deck that was basically hand shaped for venture 5.8s. Hate to admit how much I am influenced by pros I like and the gear they ride. Will basically be skating carls exact setup (wrongfully) thinking that I will be able to skate like him. Been a minute since I skated a longer wb than 14.25 but it should be better for my long legs

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7525 on: April 22, 2022, 06:45:39 PM »
Finally copped the Carl aikens deck to skate. Have had it in my cart for so long and finally got myself to buy it. Looking forward to skating a deck that was basically hand shaped for venture 5.8s. Hate to admit how much I am influenced by pros I like and the gear they ride. Will basically be skating carls exact setup (wrongfully) thinking that I will be able to skate like him. Been a minute since I skated a longer wb than 14.25 but it should be better for my long legs

Goddamn I’m super jealous. I want this same setup, for the same reasons. I’m also influenced.

I’ve been testing the upper limits of my wb tolerance, and I may have found it, 14.75, but I’m really short. I say that to say, you’ll be fine, imo. With all of the different shit I attempt to ride, the key is just to keep it all together long enough to adjust to it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7526 on: April 22, 2022, 08:41:44 PM »
I know it’s not necessary but I’ve always wanted a bearing press and finally got one.

Fooj

• Rep: 188
« Reply #7527 on: April 23, 2022, 08:08:22 AM »
I know it’s not necessary but I’ve always wanted a bearing press and finally got one.
Great purchase. Makes cleaning your bearings seem like slightly less of a chore.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #7528 on: April 23, 2022, 08:55:05 AM »
I just opened (came a few days ago) the pennswood deck (8.75 with 14wb.) I’m so stoked to set it up. I’m really trying not to set it up until I need too but I got some thunder team hollows coming so I may just throw it together with those and some old 52mm classics or maybe I’ll go get some conical fulls or 56mm classics and wear them down to 54.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7529 on: April 23, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
54 classic fulls are worn down 56 classics.