Poll

why have some companies never had any pro black skaters?

why are there so few black pros
14 (56%)
is the industry racist
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Companies who have never had a black pro  (Read 21797 times)

ICUSUCKA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
Companies who have never had a black pro
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Why have a lot of skateboard companies in the industry never had a black pro on their roster? Are they racist or just dumb with demographics? Look at the success of DGK and what Stevie has tapped into that has always been there. A whole market for black skaters that most of these white owned skate companies refuse to believe is there. Just like the republicans failed to capture the minority vote in this last election, and it cost them.

Companies who have had more than one black pro at one time or another: DGK, Organika, Sk8 Mafia, Powell (believe it or not), Baker, Blind, Zoo York, Girl, Chocolate, and Santa Cruz.

Companies who have had one black pro at one time or another: Toy Machine, Black Label, Deathwish, Anti-hero, Darkstar, Mystery, Flip, Plan B, Stereo, Think, World Industries, Real, and Element.

Companies who I don't believe have ever had a black pro: Alien Workshop, Habitat, Creature, Slave, L.E., Almost, Enjoi, 5Boro, Birdhouse, Foundation, Heroin, Cliche', Consolidated, Krooked, and Zero.

This is just coming from memory, so I may have forgotten some along the way or made a mistake here and there. But, these black pros have been few and far between for some of these companies. We know which ones are really supporting black skaters and which ones are using them for tokenism. What fucking century do we live in? And, don't tell me its not there because DGK is killing it money wise and everybody knows it. We haven't even looked at Hispanics or Asians, it's even slimmer there. Some of these companies have been around forever, and not once during their history have they had one, if that doesn't say something I don't know what does. Break that shit down percentage wise and it looks even worse: 90%;white pros, 5% black pros, and 5% for hispanics and asians or somewhere along those lines.

Most of the people I know who skate are very open minded, but I don't believe the industry is. So, to those companies that have never had a black, hispanic, or asian pro I would like to say: FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!

soccer mom

Re: Companies who have never had a black pro
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Who cares!
 I suppose it would be racist of these "companies" to it around a table and say, lets see, we need a black guy now lets get one. Don't be an idiot. Most people get picked up because they knew someone on the team or a connection. Are those circles of friends racist because they did not go out and search out a black friend for their crew. This is a stupid argument point.

Oh yea, and DGK makes so much money because they sell i love haters and I love weed T-shirts to regular mall kids. It has nothing to do with the caliber of pro's they have, black white yellow purple or red.

ChillMurray

• Rep: -36
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
What a shitty fuckin first post. Do you honestly think a company wouldn't pick up a dude that ripped and fit their brand image just because he was black? Now that you mention it though, why aren't there any black hockey players? The NHL is obviously racist.
RIP Pimp C

ICUSUCKA

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
My goal was not to change anyone's opinion, it was just to get people thinking about something that is blatant and obvious. I suppose you have never heard of covert racism in the world you live in, that poverty doesn't exist, and that women get equal pay in our country. Sounds like a very nice place to live in.

Just one question; You don't think it says something that companies that have been around for a long time have never had one black pro? Oh, wait they are friends, yeah that's it.

And it has been known that the NHL is very racist and it has been publicized and covered in mainstream magazines.. I am just glad you are ignorant enough to air your ignorance for everyone to see. This topic really burns your britches or panties glad I could work you up so easy.

MonistatOne

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
StimCo 2.0

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »

And it has been known that the NHL is very racist and it has been publicized and covered in mainstream magazines.. I am just glad you are ignorant enough to air your ignorance for everyone to see. This topic really burns your britches or panties glad I could work you up so easy.

I think these guys play Hockey and they burned their britches or panties....not sure if it's NHL or a Farm League?
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Carlo Lemmings

• Rep: -130
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
Why have a lot of skateboard companies in the industry never had a black pro on their roster? Are they racist or just dumb with demographics? Look at the success of DGK and what Stevie has tapped into that has always been there. A whole market for black skaters that most of these white owned skate companies refuse to believe is there. Just like the republicans failed to capture the minority vote in this last election, and it cost them.

Companies who have had more than one black pro at one time or another: DGK, Organika, Sk8 Mafia, Powell (believe it or not), Baker, Blind, Zoo York, Girl, Chocolate, and Santa Cruz.

Companies who have had one black pro at one time or another: Toy Machine, Black Label, Deathwish, Anti-hero, Darkstar, Mystery, Flip, Plan B, Stereo, Think, World Industries, Real, and Element.

Companies who I don't believe have ever had a black pro: Alien Workshop, Habitat, Creature, Slave, L.E., Almost, Enjoi, 5Boro, Birdhouse, Foundation, Heroin, Cliche', Consolidated, Krooked, and Zero.

This is just coming from memory, so I may have forgotten some along the way or made a mistake here and there. But, these black pros have been few and far between for some of these companies. We know which ones are really supporting black skaters and which ones are using them for tokenism. What fucking century do we live in? And, don't tell me its not there because DGK is killing it money wise and everybody knows it. We haven't even looked at Hispanics or Asians, it's even slimmer there. Some of these companies have been around forever, and not once during their history have they had one, if that doesn't say something I don't know what does. Break that shit down percentage wise and it looks even worse: 90%;white pros, 5% black pros, and 5% for hispanics and asians or somewhere along those lines.

Most of the people I know who skate are very open minded, but I don't believe the industry is. So, to those companies that have never had a black, hispanic, or asian pro I would like to say: FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE!

Al Sharpton, I think Slave had all black pros. That's why they are called Slave.

joebudden

• Rep: -51
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
im all about racist shit is skateboarding

BUT

this post is OD stoooooooooooooops

affirmative action is skating pure fuckery

its still a white boy thing

NEGROS need to make NEGRO companies if they want other NEGROS to shine

DGK breaks my heart

i thought the graphics and image was lil stevie and his niggas sittin around smoking mad blunts coming up with that shit

BUT NO

its some gotdamn crakkkas in carlsbad researching NEGROS and creating that image

stevie aint got jack shit to do with it

THATS FUCKED and FAKE as a bitch.....

my heart dropped when i found out that stevie sold that shit to the crakkkas

and i will NEVER rock that shit again till them crakkkas spraypaint the nigga quise name on some plys

the team is dope from the tm to the the hawaiin kid

im just leave it at that cuz i aint got time to be aggie today

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »

I hope this would be Al Davis in the near future.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
There's an influx of hispanic pros popping up... unfortunately for the blacks the baggy pants small wheel phase is over, and that hurts the community on the whole

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
niggers
For Your Health

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

Blee dat

ChillMurray

• Rep: -36
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
My goal was not to change anyone's opinion, it was just to get people thinking about something that is blatant and obvious. I suppose you have never heard of covert racism in the world you live in, that poverty doesn't exist, and that women get equal pay in our country. Sounds like a very nice place to live in.

Just one question; You don't think it says something that companies that have been around for a long time have never had one black pro? Oh, wait they are friends, yeah that's it.

No I don't think anything of companies not having "black, hispanic, asian" pro skaters because at the end of the day companies are there to make money. If a skater, or anyone, would bring revenue or a desirable asset to a company they would hook it up and if they didn't then that's more stupidity than racism.

Expand Quote
[close]

Blee dat

That was a guest pro model but whatever. My homie's son is pushing around on that board right now!
RIP Pimp C

JAesop

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
There are at least 20 active black NHL players.

atswimtwobirds

• Rep: -109
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits fart turd n fart

i fuckter alms

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »

Alien had John Pryor although I don't think he was ever pro. Also according to Josh Kalis they almost had Stevie Williams

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »

20? more like 5

ice hockey is the epitome of rich white dudes

Will Easley

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
20? more like 5

ice hockey is the epitome of rich white dudes

I actually just saw some thing recently where some black guy who just got drafted into the NHL or some shit was catching MAD heat from racist white folk on twitter & other social media. Hockey is definitely a white man's game.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dear White Owl,

That you for posting. Reread the topic. Highlight the word "pro." Edit your post. You have until the end of the week to turn in your revisions but you will get deducted one half of a grade.

Good luck!

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
There's an influx of hispanic pros popping up... unfortunately for the blacks the baggy pants small wheel phase is over, and that hurts the community on the whole
???????

im probably lying

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Prime.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

as far as i know Powell might have had one of the first black pros with Steve Steadham, the only other black pro i can think of from that 80s time frame would be Peanut Brown.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:43:42 PM by natenola forever »

joebudden

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »
whens the last time you seen a nigga wearing baggy pants and skating small wheels tho

the latinos and negros are taking over without even trying

thats whats funny/crazy

ICUSUCKA

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Here's a more obvious example to explain my point: Say you have your favorite restaurant, skate shop, or store in town and you learn in their entire existence they have never hired anyone of color. Now, they might say well they don't fit our image or if they were good enough we might hire them. Now say that company was Target, Gap, Whole Foods,etc  and you saw that on your nightly news would you say that company is acting ethically? This is the same rhetoric that was used to segregate whites from blacks to make them less human, and to give the excuse that they were not equal. The point is most of the skate industry is run by older white men, and there is no denying it. Their "image" is of a white kid in suburbia and if you don't fit that then your shit outta luck. It doesn't matter who you know, oh but if your talented enough you will get recognized, bullshit. But, no this is the cool skateboard industry now, dude chill out bro its not like that. Nah, instead lets talk about such and such pro and about what company he is riding for now. Its the equivalent of your mom gossiping about the latest People magazine with her girlfriends. Maybe this is why skate shops are closing, we don't do anything for recycling of our old skate product, and most pros are underpaid and without insurance. They want us to be ignorant 16 year old high school drop outs who just take all the propaganda they feed us. Our culture is mainstream, our pros are household names, our companies are conglomerates and only a handful of people get rich. Its not a race thing its an inclusion thing and the door needs to open more.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Dear White Owl,

That you for posting. Reread the topic. Highlight the word "pro." Edit your post. You have until the end of the week to turn in your revisions but you will get deducted one half of a grade.

Good luck!

whats the difference? they are still paying a black dude...

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Dear White Owl,

Good luck!
[close]

Well then Alien had Marquise, Foundation had Marquis, and Birdhouse had that one dreadlocked dude that I saw at a skatepark being a dick so I won't even promote his name. Point is, OP obviously was talking about companies that haven't turned black skaters pro.

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
That was a guest pro model but whatever

I take it back, DLX are clearly bigots.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Dear White Owl,

Good luck!
[close]

[close]
Well then Alien had Marquise, Foundation had Marquis, and Birdhouse had that one dreadlocked dude that I saw at a skatepark being a dick so I won't even promote his name. Point is, OP obviously was talking about companies that haven't turned black skaters pro.

who? that ghost dude? yeah, but who cares. black or not, everyone has to do the same to turn pro. skate good, and be a good person

joebudden

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Here's a more obvious example to explain my point: Say you have your favorite restaurant, skate shop, or store in town and you learn in their entire existence they have never hired anyone of color. Now, they might say well they don't fit our image or if they were good enough we might hire them. Now say that company was Target, Gap, Whole Foods,etc �and you saw that on your nightly news would you say that company is acting ethically? This is the same rhetoric that was used to segregate whites from blacks to make them less human, and to give the excuse that they were not equal. The point is most of the skate industry is run by older white men, and there is no denying it. Their "image" is of a white kid in suburbia and if you don't fit that then your shit outta luck. It doesn't matter who you know, oh but if your talented enough you will get recognized, bullshit. But, no this is the cool skateboard industry now, dude chill out bro its not like that. Nah, instead lets talk about such and such pro and about what company he is riding for now. Its the equivalent of your mom gossiping about the latest People magazine with her girlfriends. Maybe this is why skate shops are closing, we don't do anything for recycling of our old skate product, and most pros are underpaid and without insurance. They want us to be ignorant 16 year old high school drop outs who just take all the propaganda they feed us. Our culture is mainstream, our pros are household names, our companies are conglomerates and only a handful of people get rich. Its not a race thing its an inclusion thing and the door needs to open more.

my dude

CRAKKKAS OWN EVERYFUCKINTHING....

THEY OWN IT ALL....even DGK

as soon as negros get they shit together and support other negros.....a negro dream team aint happening

and when it does.....some dirty rich crakkkers will waive mad ends in the negro owners face and own that shit too

they white man has his foot on the necks of black consumers....they will make you think negros own it

then sit back, count paper, and laugh at our black asses

if you feel like a company dont support negros....ITS BECAUSE THEY DONT

CRAKKKERS OWN DGK.....thats CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY