Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798218 times)

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #7740 on: November 08, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
About 1hr skating in the 600 and so far I think it's gunna take some break in time. The flick is "weird" for me compared to what I've skated recently (1010, 440, Japan S, SB Dunk), I find the fit to be great, padding is ample, but it's definitely stiffer than I thought. I think it should break in more but right now I'd compare it to the Japan more than another NB.

One concern I already have is durability. I'm pretty easy on shoes and broke the stitches on both sides within 10 pops. Below is my nollie/sw sliding foot after only a few nollies. I don't have significant wear on my 440 on this foot and don't snap stitches this fast.

On the leading foot I think the curved area where the suede meets the rubberized mesh is going to be a big wear point and it's already worn through the stitching.

[close]

Just a heads up: The stitching breaking doesn't mean much about durability...
that is most likely just a decorative stitching and not actually stitched through the upper, because current shoes don't really need the stitching. The glue used nowadays to bond upper to tooling is a lot stronger than back in the day, so those stitches are put before assembly as its easier for mass production (a Stan Smith is like that for example).

Also just as an example: You can do 2 or 3 kick flips in a Superstar and the toe stitches will all rip straight away, but the shoe is still a tank.
[close]

Oh yah, I'm not worried about the sole coming off just seems like an aesthetic flaw. There's for sure some QC issues with the shoes with substantial variance between the right and left. Even my wife noticed that the "Fantomfit" coating on the mesh toe is twice as wide on one shoe and the stitching/paneling doesn't seem to be the same. Minor stuff but first time I've noticed a NB having these flaws.
[close]

I had to melt some of phantom fit (the thin border on the mesh) back onto the mesh (discoloring the mesh in the process), it was coming off at the toe crease, left shoe, and this is just walking around for two days inside; my mesh/PT and stitching look fine otherwise.

Def some QC issues - I wonder how many factories they use, maybe that explains sizing discrepencies?

The 1010’s use this stuff too, and it’s separated on every (mesh toe) pair I’ve had. I’ve tried to glue it back down a few times and it’s always just left a mess and refused to stick back down.

It’s not ideal, but doesn’t affect the performance, and hasn’t stopped me buying 12+ pairs.

The Reynolds 480 had some sole delams in this thread and multiple pairs of my Jake Darwen 440 high had the same issue. Other than that I've never had a problem with my NB shoes so this is interesting. I don't know whether to glue the stitching back or just cut it off so it'll look cleaner.

If it’s really bothering you, I’d trim away any excess with nail scissors, while trying not to make it too obvious. A few more sessions and it’ll probably blend in with the rest of the wear and tear.

More often than not when i try to “fix” a cosmetic issue like this, it only makes it worse.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7741 on: November 08, 2023, 10:50:43 AM »
The Reynolds 480 had some sole delams in this thread and multiple pairs of my Jake Darwen 440 high had the same issue. Other than that I've never had a problem with my NB shoes so this is interesting. I don't know whether to glue the stitching back or just cut it off so it'll look cleaner.

Just melt the stitching down, best course; I do this for anything with loose threads.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #7742 on: November 08, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
Long Beach Skate Co has a flash sale going on Numeric
20-30% off and looks like they have a decent selection of sizes

https://lbskate.com/collections/black-friday-nb-30

https://lbskate.com/collections/black-friday-nb-20
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7743 on: November 08, 2023, 01:51:24 PM »

LBSC is literally having a sale every week, it's insane.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7744 on: November 08, 2023, 02:07:53 PM »
My 50 year old co worker showed up in some 306s and a LB Skate t shirt and I was like 'damn do you still skate' and he replied 'Oh I've never skated I just saw these on sale and got the shirt for free with my order'

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7745 on: November 08, 2023, 02:13:00 PM »
Yup, I'm the socio - when all you do is follow me around the forum, posting almost right after me, every time, to counter (seriously go look at my posts, there you are.... Seek help.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #7746 on: November 08, 2023, 02:27:26 PM »
My 50 year old co worker showed up in some 306s and a LB Skate t shirt and I was like 'damn do you still skate' and he replied 'Oh I've never skated I just saw these on sale and got the shirt for free with my order'
That's pretty hilarious. They seem super stocked up on 1010s and 306s so it makes sense they're doing sales regularly
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7747 on: November 08, 2023, 10:54:27 PM »
I saw models from the Numeric line for the first time in our Ross tonight. 440’s, Foy’s, the court shoe they had with the rubber toe in a high top that isn’t the Villani, and the 405 that I think is their sort of budget/price point cupsole

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7748 on: November 08, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »
You mean 425?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7749 on: November 08, 2023, 10:59:41 PM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7750 on: November 08, 2023, 11:57:49 PM »
Wonder why the first 3 drops of 480 came pretty much simultaneously with the US (Being in Europe) and after that just crickets.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 30
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #7751 on: November 09, 2023, 09:10:01 AM »
Thinking about picking up a pair of 580s for long walks. Anybody got a pair?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #7752 on: November 09, 2023, 09:24:38 AM »
Haven’t owned a pair, but I’d just get actual walking shoes. Or some 1010s since they have the most support.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7753 on: November 09, 2023, 09:39:25 AM »
580s are walking/running shoes.  I have tried them on and they are really soft and comfy. My favorite NB non skate shoes are the 990 variants.

1010 are great for walking around as well, but thinner and harder. It mostly comes down to aesthetics unless you are doing a shit ton of walking.

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 30
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #7754 on: November 09, 2023, 10:13:26 AM »
Made in USA 998s are looking good too but the price is a bit intimidating

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7755 on: November 09, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
Oh God, I saw the 580 as 508. NB’s numbers can be hella confusing 😅

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7756 on: November 09, 2023, 11:04:43 AM »

Damn, $184.99 msrp...I cap out at around $150 for 'athletic' gear (weight / cross training shoes) and almost always get them on sale...Boots however...$2-300 isn't out of the question.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7757 on: November 09, 2023, 11:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, $184.99 msrp...
Wonder if they’re better quality or just for foolish patriots.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
« Reply #7758 on: November 09, 2023, 11:25:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, $184.99 msrp...
[close]
I've had multiple pairs of the mainline NBs and the made in USA line is noticeably more high quality. The materials definitely feel nicer and the shoes almost feel studier. Plus they always get the best colorways. I think it's one of those things that's worth the investment if there's a pair you really like and you're in need of a pair of casual walking/running shoes that you want to own for awhile. 

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7759 on: November 09, 2023, 11:41:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, $184.99 msrp...
[close]
[close]
I've had multiple pairs of the mainline NBs and the made in USA line is noticeably more high quality. The materials definitely feel nicer and the shoes almost feel studier. Plus they always get the best colorways. I think it's one of those things that's worth the investment if there's a pair you really like and you're in need of a pair of casual walking/running shoes that you want to own for awhile.
Thanks. Walking shoes can last me for a year, so I’d definitely buy ‘em since they’re higher quality.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7760 on: November 09, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, $184.99 msrp...
[close]

NB is known for quality and the Made In The USA are more expensive due to the cost of making a shoe here vs some labor camp in China like Nike. There are reviews from cobblers on Youtube, but one of my pairs is 3 years old and still looks relatively new. The entire shoe seems to not break down as quickly.

You can also always get a discount on them on Grailed, Mercari, etc. when a shoe goes out of style and the Hypebeasts sell em. I've never paid full price on there and have gotten some really steep discounts.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #7761 on: November 09, 2023, 12:03:39 PM »

I have the Palace 580's which I think are the v1's. The toe box is a little tall so they bunch up weird and make your foot look like it's caving in. Aside from that they are comfortable. And I think they fixed the toe issue with the V2.

But the ultimate comfort is in the MiUSA 990v6 I have like 4 colorways of those
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7762 on: November 09, 2023, 04:22:42 PM »

Damn I really want those all blue tom knox 440 lows and they only have 1 size left, good deal otherwise

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #7763 on: November 09, 2023, 07:22:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the Palace 580's which I think are the v1's. The toe box is a little tall so they bunch up weird and make your foot look like it's caving in. Aside from that they are comfortable. And I think they fixed the toe issue with the V2.

But the ultimate comfort is in the MiUSA 990v6 I have like 4 colorways of those
Yeah, v6 >
not a fan of the 580 and the shape

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7764 on: November 09, 2023, 07:41:09 PM »

I have a pair and love them

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7765 on: November 09, 2023, 10:34:00 PM »
Got my 600 and I'm pretty happy that the "Fantomfit" on the toe is barely noticeable. On photos it looked terrible.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #7766 on: November 10, 2023, 06:57:19 AM »
Ive been realizing 10.5 is a better fit for me across the board, but to get a pair of 1010s I wanted, I had to go back to a size 11, but they seem to fit pretty well.   

I can feel myself getting a little paranoid that they’ll stretch or something and start to feel loose, but I think that’s just my brain not letting me be happy

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #7767 on: November 10, 2023, 07:21:06 AM »
Also came to vouch for the MiUSA line of NB stuff. Can't go wrong with a 991-993, or 990v1-6, especially in that OG grey. They are pricey since they're made domestically but it's definitely worth it.

The 990v5 is my daily driver off board and it's real comfy/supportive. Can always find a good deal on those resell sites already mentioned, but they also come out with so many colorways lately that they end up on sale often on boutique sites like Bodega, Concepts, Packer, etc especially with BF around the corner.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #7768 on: November 10, 2023, 08:34:28 AM »
don’t know why the 808s don’t get enough love. i just copped a new pair from familia for $45 shipping included. pretty hyped to break those in while i keep skating the pair i have now

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7769 on: November 10, 2023, 09:02:42 AM »

Those 440 V2 are looking tiiight
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.