Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720581 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5430 on: October 29, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
For the record I’m 145 and have had similar issues with the radial fulls. The sets I’ve had did have bearing seat issues. Warranty was great but eventually had them send me classic f4. I’m on tablets now but missing a wider wheel.

Recently went from 60mm, ventures and risers to Indy’s, 55mm and no risers. I like the somewhat lower setup but miss the bigger wheel for crust. I ride stock loose (no adjustment). Want to get conical fulls but I wish they made them in 55. Anyone ride 56 CF with Indys and no riser? Is the wheelbite gonna be too much?

No need for risers with 56mm wheels, really. Just tighten the trucks adequately.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5431 on: October 29, 2023, 08:08:44 AM »
No need for risers with 56mm wheels, really. Just tighten the trucks adequately.

Depends on what (height) trucks you have, and how much you like to, well, turn.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5432 on: October 29, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »
Were F4 og classics not selling well? Why aren't they making them again? Were they too similar to conicals? Superficial reasons for really wanting a set but I liked the black ring on the non swirl side of the wheels and I really want them to restock.

They’re back for this newest drop! Fall 2023 - Drop 2, has them on the list. We’re back, baby!

rikki

« Reply #5433 on: October 29, 2023, 09:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The trucks in question are Indys in this particular convo.

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #5434 on: October 29, 2023, 09:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

also on how wide your setup is as wider trucks bite quicker. aswell as the shape of the wheel (OG classics biting faster than Classics)

that said, if @Ourladyoftheflowers doesnt have an issue with 55mm, then 56 shoulnt be a noticeable difference. thats only half a milimeter closer to the board, but the wider shape probably takes into play aswell.

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #5435 on: October 29, 2023, 03:43:08 PM »
For the record I’m 145 and have had similar issues with the radial fulls. The sets I’ve had did have bearing seat issues. Warranty was great but eventually had them send me classic f4. I’m on tablets now but missing a wider wheel.

Recently went from 60mm, ventures and risers to Indy’s, 55mm and no risers. I like the somewhat lower setup but miss the bigger wheel for crust. I ride stock loose (no adjustment). Want to get conical fulls but I wish they made them in 55. Anyone ride 56 CF with Indys and no riser? Is the wheelbite gonna be too much?

conical full 55's are out there. usually reserved for signature drops, AVE's were the last ones i remember.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5436 on: October 29, 2023, 08:05:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

conical full 55's are out there. usually reserved for signature drops, AVE's were the last ones i remember.

Yes, funny that they usually go to pro wheels for quite a few like the 55 mm Conical Full wheels, more so than bringing them out as is in the standard graphic - too many different shapes and sizes maybe?!?

I still have some Andrew Allen wheels in the 55 mm but the Max Palmer Spiked wheel was 53 and 55 mm in Conical Full and still some around here (AU), but might have sold out most other places.

Quite a few people ride 56mm Conical Full wheels with standard Indy trucks, but as others have said it really depends on the individual, even with the same product, possibly same truck tightness, some people would be all over the place and others solid with that combination.

I have similar setups, although I personally find the 56mm Conical Full a bit too wide and squared off for my liking, but any shape of 55 or 56 mm wheels on standard Indy trucks in general are a fairly normal combination.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5437 on: October 29, 2023, 11:33:07 PM »
Spitfire is making too many wheels right now, imho. And not enough of the right ones.

rikki

« Reply #5438 on: October 29, 2023, 11:44:57 PM »
Spitfire is making too many wheels right now, imho. And not enough of the right ones.

This 100 %. They need to stop the wide/full madness and introduce something like the Bones V1 and V5 shapes.

I mean, Bones does good with five shapes across the board.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5439 on: October 30, 2023, 12:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This 100 %. They need to stop the wide/full madness and introduce something like the Bones V1 and V5 shapes.

I mean, Bones does good with five shapes across the board.

6 shapes, they could go back down to 5 by dropping the V2 tablet shape
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5440 on: October 30, 2023, 08:19:05 AM »
i think those super wide wheels is how people are doing such long smith grinds on ledges. Noah Mathieu on Limosine looks like he is riding radial full for that half cab smith around the C Ledge. I hope they stay in production! But make sure they keep making small classics too!

I can basically just live off classic and conical full though. they could drop to just those 2 shapes and I feel like we wouldn't really be missing out on much.

Tablet is pretty niche at this point
they hardly make radials or conicals (regular)
radial full is cool, but not crazy different from conical full either. I feel like those only started coming around again more recently as well... the Kader wheel is first one i remember from the last few years?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5441 on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:49 AM »
IMHO, they could cover pretty much everything with these (and this is still even a lot):

Classic / Classic Full

Radial Slim / Radial (these should be renamed Radial and Radial Full)

Conical / Conical Full

80HD / Sapphires

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5442 on: October 30, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
i think those super wide wheels is how people are doing such long smith grinds on ledges.

My guess? Wax.

rikki

« Reply #5443 on: October 30, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
Agree on needing to bring back the Radial Slim. One of their best shapes ever.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5444 on: October 30, 2023, 08:46:19 AM »
wait so there is Radial AND Radial slim? I thought those were the same thing. and then Radial Full was the fat one. So there are 3 different choices for radial (historically)?  :o

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5445 on: October 30, 2023, 08:58:29 AM »
wait so there is Radial AND Radial slim? I thought those were the same thing. and then Radial Full was the fat one. So there are 3 different choices for radial (historically)?  :o

Radial Slim
Radial
Radial Full

Please come back Radial Slim...

Shops doing $42-45 for F4s now? Crazy like...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5446 on: October 30, 2023, 09:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Radial Slim
Radial
Radial Full

Please come back Radial Slim...

Shops doing $42-45 for F4s now? Crazy like...

^ Yup. There have been THREE version of Radials. Next time you get a set of Spits, look at the tech specs on the back of the cardboard insert (wonder when they are going to update that!??), and you'll see the specs for Radial Slims and Radials. ...but not Radial Fulls. Radial Slims have not really been produced since before Covid.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5447 on: November 01, 2023, 08:50:44 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5448 on: November 01, 2023, 01:55:24 PM »
Agree on needing to bring back the Radial Slim. One of their best shapes ever.

The 8 of us on this forum agree (and cobra cole) but clearly they didn't sell well enough in shops (for re-orders) and the pros didn't care?

Now we're stuck with the shit tablets instead of the radial slims (or classic slims for that matter).

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5449 on: November 01, 2023, 02:00:40 PM »
but who the hell swears by tablets
really tho
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #5450 on: November 01, 2023, 02:17:11 PM »
I will be forever thankful for Radial Slim 101s for opening up backside power slides for me. But now I can do them, I probably wouldn't use them again. I like Classics, Radials and then an OG classics if I want a squarer wheel. Would love to see some Classic wides again but you can achieve that shape by wearing down some classics.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5451 on: November 01, 2023, 02:35:43 PM »
but who the hell swears by tablets
really tho
At least here in Prague tablets are kinda popular.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5452 on: November 01, 2023, 08:51:25 PM »
Finally swapped back to F4 from the X99. They were the best of the x series, but they still grab on whatever square coping the parks by me use. I can hold a good noseslide on the same ledge but when it's pinching it slows or grabs and I don't see a need to apply even more wax/be that dude.

Overall I'd compare the 53 X99 V5 to 52 F4 classics in terms of speed on smooth ground, definitely don't slide as well, but still enough, and honestly just felt less fun to ride. They're faster on Asphalt, but I think a 53 classic or radial will be close enough for what I'm usually skating.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5453 on: November 02, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »
If any of your USA based locals has gets the f4 og classics in and sells online please let me know (after you get your set of course). My local says it won't restock spits for awhile so my conscience is clear.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5454 on: November 02, 2023, 08:47:33 PM »
If any of your USA based locals has gets the f4 og classics in and sells online please let me know (after you get your set of course). My local says it won't restock spits for awhile so my conscience is clear.

I am guessing if they just put up a post about them, then there should be a ton of them out everywhere soon enough, but as per the higher price and maybe some shops already having too much stock, some places might not be ordering them specifically and holding off for the next main order.  Who knows really, but I think there will be plenty available pretty soon.

Interesting if they do have all sizes, as per that post.  The catalog info was more just for 54, 58 and 60 mm from a while back, but there might have been so much interest, they had to do all sizes - 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 58 and 60 showing there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5455 on: November 03, 2023, 04:08:21 AM »

looks like Jason Lee riding the Spitfire OG Classics here with them turned inside out. it makes them look a lot like what our Conical Fulls look like now. you can see on the inner wall though with the graphic it looks more tucked in.
they look SICK AF in photos i have to say
especially with those green AWAKEs ;D

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5456 on: November 03, 2023, 06:24:35 AM »
Finally swapped back to F4 from the X99.

so i guess no point to get them then for me. like faster on asphalt is the only advantage, not really huge selling point for me when I am more fixated on them sliding a certain way during my noseslides.

my friend and I were skating this really shitty old parking lot runway(asphalt - medium rockiness, pretty old), he had dragons, and I had worn down 54mm 99a conical fulls, and honestly felt like my board was just as fast it was just a little more loud and vibratey but it was totally fine still. had no problem getting speed and didnt feel like i was getting rattled out of my ollie position at all.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5457 on: November 03, 2023, 03:30:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

. i get away with a 60 all day at factory tight venture highs but a thin shock pad dont hurt since i go for cut bushings. i get minimal wheel bite still.

same with ace classic. thunder is a different story. im sub 55 with thunder unless risers.

indy 139s i ran 56 connie full no risers. its what i came back to street skating on.

its just best with venture in my opinion. with the indy soft white replacement bushings and a 3 ply riser i can stand full weight and bounce on the rail im not getting wheel bite with 58mm dragons.

im like 155-160.

im about to order wheels soon tho. probably a complete. 6.1s 57-60mm spits 99a. i kinda wanna get a ps stix or the bbs but im thinking does powell make a 9" flight deck. i wanna try one really badly.

i just looked up up

Id go color burst in 8.75 or 9
The Flight wheel base is on those boards 15". Id have to drill it back to like a quarter inch prob. Im only 5'7" Tre flips would be fucking insanely hot and heavy on a 15" wb with 60mm wheels and 6.1s
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 03:46:50 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5458 on: November 03, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

. i get away with a 60 all day at factory tight venture highs but a thin shock pad dont hurt since i go for cut bushings. i get minimal wheel bite still.

same with ace classic. thunder is a different story. im sub 55 with thunder unless risers.

indy 139s i ran 56 connie full no risers. its what i came back to street skating on.

its just best with venture in my opinion. with the indy soft white replacement bushings and a 3 ply riser i can stand full weight and bounce on the rail im not getting wheel bite with 58mm dragons.

im like 155-160.

im about to order wheels soon tho. probably a complete. 6.1s 57-60mm spits 99a. i kinda wanna get a ps stix or the bbs but im thinking does powell make a 9" flight deck. i wanna try one really badly.

i just looked up up

Id go color burst in 8.75 or 9
The Flight wheel base is on those boards 15". Id have to drill it back to like a quarter inch prob. Im only 5'7" Tre flips would be fucking insanely hot and heavy on a 15" wb with 60mm wheels and 6.1s

i used to skate an asymmetrical composite board with 169s and 56 conical fulls and it would tre flip. almost 33” in length and 14.75 wb. that damn board probably
tre flipped better than whatever i’m riding now. there’s some weird ass leverage angle etc etc i dunno. all i’m trying to say is i could see some razor’d up flight deck spinning around like a throwing star as you fling tre after tre. big wheels sometimes super help. more momentum.
usually not for me tho. i can’t do it. i wish i could crack the big wheel code. currently i hate big wheels. 52s are cool

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5459 on: November 03, 2023, 05:18:06 PM »
Finally swapped back to F4 from the X99. They were the best of the x series, but they still grab on whatever square coping the parks by me use. I can hold a good noseslide on the same ledge but when it's pinching it slows or grabs and I don't see a need to apply even more wax/be that dude.

Overall I'd compare the 53 X99 V5 to 52 F4 classics in terms of speed on smooth ground, definitely don't slide as well, but still enough, and honestly just felt less fun to ride. They're faster on Asphalt, but I think a 53 classic or radial will be close enough for what I'm usually skating.

You’re probably too heavy for them.