Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 132109 times)

IpathCats

Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1140 on: March 02, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I just fucked with these stage 4's a bunch and found the stock bushings to be absolutely horrible at 180lbs. Like, no rebound, just totally dead and tight feeling bushings, and I feel like I'm the first to mention that which makes me wonder if I got a bunk set or something. Nowadays even the stage 11 stock bushings are pretty damn good and carvey, but not these.

Anyway, so I grabbed a set of Ace standard medium bushings and the bottoms are actually a couple hairs shorter than the stock Stage 4's. But I have some flat washers that Riptide once gave me when I ordered bushings and they make bushings sit just a little bit higher vs stock cup washers. So it brought them to the proper height. Then just Ace top bushings with no top washers. Totally revived the trucks, the turning is insanely good. I could almost do two full circles in the same spot with all four wheels touching the ground. I do think these might be better than Ace's. Still felt stable on center, even when doing that kinda one foot steering you can get away with on Ace's cause of the twitchy geometry.

TLDR; Indy stage 4's are amazing with Ace medium bushings and seem to turn even better than Ace's. 146's are what I'm on, btw.
[close]

Since me posting about a gear decision on here always results in my doing the opposite, after committing to my broken in 11s I read this and knew I had to try it.

Boy oh boy, they do turn nice.

There is something to this.

I'm starting to consider never making statements about my setup on here again.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #1141 on: March 02, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
Anyone have an idea how Stage 4s compare to Indy Standards?

This has been discussed for a few pages now. Quicker and deeper in a nutshell.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1142 on: March 02, 2023, 12:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just fucked with these stage 4's a bunch and found the stock bushings to be absolutely horrible at 180lbs. Like, no rebound, just totally dead and tight feeling bushings, and I feel like I'm the first to mention that which makes me wonder if I got a bunk set or something. Nowadays even the stage 11 stock bushings are pretty damn good and carvey, but not these.

Anyway, so I grabbed a set of Ace standard medium bushings and the bottoms are actually a couple hairs shorter than the stock Stage 4's. But I have some flat washers that Riptide once gave me when I ordered bushings and they make bushings sit just a little bit higher vs stock cup washers. So it brought them to the proper height. Then just Ace top bushings with no top washers. Totally revived the trucks, the turning is insanely good. I could almost do two full circles in the same spot with all four wheels touching the ground. I do think these might be better than Ace's. Still felt stable on center, even when doing that kinda one foot steering you can get away with on Ace's cause of the twitchy geometry.

TLDR; Indy stage 4's are amazing with Ace medium bushings and seem to turn even better than Ace's. 146's are what I'm on, btw.
[close]

Since me posting about a gear decision on here always results in my doing the opposite, after committing to my broken in 11s I read this and knew I had to try it.

Boy oh boy, they do turn nice.
[close]

There is something to this.

I'm starting to consider never making statements about my setup on here again.

I tell myself the same thing all the time, but I just can't help it.

"I think Indy and Ace are basically the same"
36 hours later: "FUCK THE REST!!!"

logjammin

• Rep: 350
« Reply #1143 on: March 02, 2023, 12:27:27 PM »
You did the same and put in Ace bushings, if I'm reading correctly? Turn is so good isn't it? I usually hate even the idea of breaking in new trucks in the winter but man, after my outdoor sesh in them yesterday, I'm pumped to bring them to the indoor bowl, too and have a blast. I was never one to cast indy aside for any of the reasons people beat to death, I just never felt like they could beat that sweet sweet Ace geo. I'm glad they decided to reissue these, and aesthetically the hanger shape looks a lot cooler than stage 11's, imo.

IpathCats

« Reply #1144 on: March 02, 2023, 12:47:13 PM »

"I think Indy and Ace are basically the same"
36 hours later: "FUCK THE REST!!!"

lol

You did the same and put in Ace bushings, if I'm reading correctly? Turn is so good isn't it? I usually hate even the idea of breaking in new trucks in the winter but man, after my outdoor sesh in them yesterday, I'm pumped to bring them to the indoor bowl, too and have a blast. I was never one to cast indy aside for any of the reasons people beat to death, I just never felt like they could beat that sweet sweet Ace geo. I'm glad they decided to reissue these, and aesthetically the hanger shape looks a lot cooler than stage 11's, imo.

I like the look too.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1145 on: March 02, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »

Yeah, took them from one of the many sets of classic 44s I have. The turn is super, super good. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but yeah...better than Ace classic.

I don't want to harp on it, but anyone from Indy/NHS lurking needs to get it together and scrap the idea of making two kinds of harder bushings for these.

IpathCats

« Reply #1146 on: March 02, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, took them from one of the many sets of classic 44s I have. The turn is super, super good. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but yeah...better than Ace classic.

I don't want to harp on it, but anyone from Indy/NHS lurking needs to get it together and scrap the idea of making two kinds of harder bushings for these.

You'd think they would prioritize softer bushings for a truck marketed for its turn. or at least a consistent offering across  the range of usual durometers you find aftermarket bushings in

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1147 on: March 03, 2023, 02:00:29 AM »
As others have mentioned, the first session on the Stage 4's were fantastic. I thought these are going to be FUN.

But after a few hours when the bushings have broken in they just harden up and become less responsive. Just popped in some Ace bushings so hoping like others have found the trucks will become fun again :)

Deadringer

« Reply #1148 on: March 03, 2023, 02:39:57 AM »
​Didn't look right having white bushings in an Indy, got the dye out and 5 mins later...

​​

IpathCats

« Reply #1149 on: March 03, 2023, 04:10:26 AM »
​Didn't look right having white bushings in an Indy, got the dye out and 5 mins later...

​​

Nice job

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1150 on: March 03, 2023, 09:44:00 AM »
My mistake bros the new ACE STAGE 4 are 55mm tall.

Super good trucks.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1151 on: March 03, 2023, 01:49:26 PM »
Just had a solid indoor mini ramp session on the Stage 4s and I think the bushings are now getting a better. I really want to make these trucks work stock and I think they will. Even if they feel a little tight, the turn more than makes up for it.

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #1152 on: March 03, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
mine are working great, yesterday was cold balls and the bushings got a little firm. but today was nice out and the bushings felt like all the other days.

Jebediah

• Rep: 107
« Reply #1153 on: March 04, 2023, 10:28:41 AM »
It might be old news to you but it looks like you can order them online now, only the 136mm and 146mm at the moment from what I can see

https://socalskateshop.com/independent-trucks-all.html?mc_cid=c8a9e08806&mc_eid=ac34e5bca8
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 10:55:03 AM by Jebediah »

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #1154 on: March 04, 2023, 10:37:47 AM »
I’m glad I resisted the Stage 4s. I don’t need that level of madness or to like a truck that’s in limited supply/may get discontinued one day 😅

logjammin

« Reply #1155 on: March 04, 2023, 01:49:52 PM »
They're not insanely better than Ace's. If they discontinued these I'd transition back just fine. They just seem to be a lil sharper and deeper....with Ace bushings tho, for sure.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1156 on: March 04, 2023, 02:47:15 PM »
They're not insanely better than Ace's. If they discontinued these I'd transition back just fine. They just seem to be a lil sharper and deeper....with Ace bushings tho, for sure.

I enjoy the this new ACE STAGE 4.

Real Indys have the Iron cross on them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1157 on: March 04, 2023, 04:06:18 PM »
I’m glad I resisted the Stage 4s. I don’t need that level of madness or to like a truck that’s in limited supply/may get discontinued one day 😅

I'm a gear whore that likes to try everything and I've zero desire to pick these up.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2255
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1158 on: March 04, 2023, 04:26:53 PM »
If you like a deep turn, you're already on Aces.
if these go anywhere, you'll just go back to "old reliable."
I've got a pair on the way, but purely out of curiosity.
Can't really imagine picking up another set after I've blown through these, when I already have Classics and AF1s hanging around, waiting to do pretty much the same job.
Plus, who wouldn't prefer to give their $$$ to Joey & Shrewgy rather than those ding-dongs at NHS?
Still... xcited to give them a go, because, um, skateboarding?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1159 on: March 04, 2023, 05:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah possibly. I've been skating in about low 40s to low 50s Fahrenheit.
[close]

I notice my bushings change under 50.

why do people still use fahrenheit?

Americans continued to use Fahrenheit because people had the option to switch or no. This made the switch elective rather than forced and many individuals didn't want to learn new temperature or weight systems. Except for the United States, almost every country on the planet measures temperature in Celsius.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1160 on: March 04, 2023, 05:27:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yeah possibly. I've been skating in about low 40s to low 50s Fahrenheit.
[close]

I notice my bushings change under 50.
[close]

why do people still use fahrenheit?

Americans continued to use Fahrenheit because people had the option to switch or no. This made the switch elective rather than forced and many individuals didn't want to learn new temperature or weight systems. Except for the United States, almost every country on the planet measures temperature in Celsius.

Who cares? I use both. When in Rome and all that... . In the Uk I weigh myself in Stone. Here in the US I weight myself in pounds... its really not that inconvenient. Thanks for the history lesson though, now go and get some grinders...

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1161 on: March 04, 2023, 09:27:52 PM »
What’s the deal with Britain using Whitworth bolts? I mean, the rest of the world either went metric or SAE. Why keep that archaic system around?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: March 04, 2023, 10:54:08 PM »
Except for the United States, almost every country on the planet measures temperature in Celsius.

You say "almost” with some degree of authority but then offer, as evidence, a map that shows the world divided into TWO parts: the US and pretty much EVERYBODY else.
Why not stake your claim boldly with a statement that backs up your evidence, like "ABSOLUTELY every other country on the planet measures in temperature in Celsius."
OR, alternately, provide evidence that is more in line with the statement you made and proffer up a map that shows those few other archaic hold-outs still clinging to a novel system that is out of step with the rest of the world.
In other words, if you're going to make such an argument, at least do a decent job of supporting your assertions.
Maybe I’m taking exception because of your intentionally inflammatory use of disparaging terminology, or maybe I’m bummed you wander into threads intended as safe spaces & deliberately pick fights.
Or maybe your inquiries in THIS thread, while having merit, are (as one would expect from a belligerent) poorly thought out/articulated.
I suspected it was but a matter of time before you showed your true colors, and it turns out you’ve proven me correct in this instance.
Who’d have thought it would be a discussion about the comparative merits of the metric system that would be the topic that revealed the cards in your hand.
Time to fold.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 01:00:38 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #1163 on: March 05, 2023, 04:46:04 AM »
I would back moving to metric/Celsius

12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 1760 yards to a mile.

Wtf is that?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: March 05, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
I would back moving to metric/Celsius

12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 1760 yards to a mile.

Wtf is that?
Hard agree here.
Both metric & celsius/centigrade make way more sense.
We could have the whole country “ported over” to the point that it becomes 2nd nature within a generation.
Wouldn’t even be very difficult.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1165 on: March 05, 2023, 06:37:05 PM »
Honestly, I’m in Canada and we only use metric when the government forces us to ie. roads, height/weight/ anything bought at Home Depot….same as the US….

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1166 on: March 05, 2023, 07:32:11 PM »

Alright. Finally was able to take ‘em out and I gotta say I enjoy it. I did noticed they aren’t 55mm talk. I set them up next to some AF1s and they were about the same size.
I noticed the bushings felt a little stiffer than normal so I’m curious if they stiffen up even more.
Off the bat I noticed the geometry felt similar to an ace. That deeper turn but not as “twitchy”.

I also brought my old board that has forged hallows stage 11s with some old bones mediums in.
The 11s felt looser and more of an even turn.
The stage 4s felt stiffer but that deeper carve feel was nice and responsive.

I will say having that “ace” turn feel but that Indy grind feel is pretty solid. I’m always torn between that ace turn but the Indy grind feel beats out the turn. (It’s not like the stage 11s turned bad).

I think I’m going to give the bushings more time to break in and see if they eventually do loosen up before I throw in the ace bushings.

Not saying that the bushings feeling “stiffer” is good or bad. Same with the lower truck height. I think it kind of works with the truck but curious to see how it breaks in.

Deadringer

« Reply #1167 on: March 06, 2023, 12:34:03 AM »
Also to add, they get MUCH less wheel bite than an Ace Truck. Ace always feel like they want to touch wood (giggity) with little effort whereas the Stage 4 seem to just avoid it. I've gone from 1/4 to 1/8 rise also!

logjammin

« Reply #1168 on: March 06, 2023, 06:20:25 AM »
I had also forgotten to mention that important aspect of these stage 4's, they wheelbite way less than Aces. With 1/8" risers underneath these, my wheels are never touching my board no matter how deep I turn, which is really nice. I skated these all weekend with the Ace bushings and even in the cold they are feeling amazing.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1169 on: March 06, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »
I had also forgotten to mention that important aspect of these stage 4's, they wheelbite way less than Aces. With 1/8" risers underneath these, my wheels are never touching my board no matter how deep I turn, which is really nice. I skated these all weekend with the Ace bushings and even in the cold they are feeling amazing.

I did notice that. That’s kinda why I was saying I don’t know if the bushings being “firm” is good or bad.

Although if you want them loose loose ace bushings are trick?  Just confirming before I start to tinker. 😂