Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 133053 times)

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 08, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
The standards are too high and too heavy for me so I skate nothing but forged hollows. Took me a while to figure that out tho.

What size wheels do you like w/ forged hollows?
I feel like I can’t go much further than 54, but preferably 53, if I don’t want to get pitched from the wheelbite.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #1201 on: March 08, 2023, 02:35:21 PM »
Forged plates killed my pop, I got used to the tinny sound and different vibrational feel, but it felt like I had to try twice as hard for everything and I can’t be having that at my age. So for me having a quicker pop did not mean getting a bigger pop.

That was going from hollow standards to
Hollow forged.

I’m really still surprised I felt a difference, I keep trying them because of the stock orange bushings are so nice and I have a pair of 55 classic that are at about 51and the riding surface is perfect.

IpathCats

« Reply #1202 on: March 09, 2023, 03:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote
The standards are too high and too heavy for me so I skate nothing but forged hollows. Took me a while to figure that out tho.
[close]

I feel like I can’t go much further than 54, but preferably 53, if I don’t want to get pitched from the wheelbite.

I ran 56mm classics on forged plates with no risers for a while. I don't ride super loose though.

Forged plates killed my pop, I got used to the tinny sound and different vibrational feel, but it felt like I had to try twice as hard for everything and I can’t be having that at my age. So for me having a quicker pop did not mean getting a bigger pop.

Hollow forged.

I’m really still surprised I felt a difference, I keep trying them because of the stock orange bushings are so nice and I have a pair of 55 classic that are at about 51and the riding surface is perfect.

My last bout with madness was between forged/cast plates.

I def prefer how the cast plates feel, but I need to run them with smaller wheels 53-54 to be around my preferred height for pop feel.

I can see myself going back to forged if I want to go back to bigger wheels though. 56 mm classic is as big as I would go though

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1203 on: March 09, 2023, 07:21:16 AM »
idk why but for some reason I really like the forged plates on indy's but not other trucks. I think because Indy's standards are really heavy so i dont mind toning them down a bit, where the other companies are so light i want the heavier version.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #1204 on: March 09, 2023, 07:39:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ran 56mm classics on forged plates with no risers for a while. I don't ride super loose though.

Expand Quote

Hollow forged.

[close]

My last bout with madness was between forged/cast plates.

I def prefer how the cast plates feel, but I need to run them with smaller wheels 53-54 to be around my preferred height for pop feel.

I can see myself going back to forged if I want to go back to bigger wheels though. 56 mm classic is as big as I would go though

So you think I should have ran bigger wheels with the forged? I was thinking lower truck smaller wheels.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1205 on: March 09, 2023, 07:48:50 AM »
it depends too what size you are riding, even though they are the same height. i ride 58mm on my 159s and its fine. no risers. I tightened them a tiny bit more as well, they are a tiny bit tighter than i'd like but they feel a lot more stable like this. I still get a decent turn because they have a wide turning radius.

on my 144s I found 54mm a tiny bit big. so I went down to like a 50mm wheel. It feels way better on this. so I think for 149s that kinda makes sense to not go over 54mm.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1206 on: March 09, 2023, 07:59:40 AM »
To be clear, I am not asking about Independent vs. other trucks. I've skated Indys for decades (although I am currently on some AF-1 44s), I know how an Indy skates. But I've skated Standards, Forged Hollows, even a pair of Titaniums, and all of them felt to me exactly like an Independent Stage XI truck. I am just unclear about what it is specifically about this form of Independent which gets people riled up.

I ask because I pointed out in the Sale thread that SoCal Skates has tons of Forged Hollow Independent Trucks for $25/pair and a bunch of people were like "ewww, no thanks!"

Ah. I’m a moron. I thought you meant the other thing.

Soy, machó, schralp, mbrims kinda said it already, and my reheated version is that I’m sensitive, do t like the sound feel, prefer the weight for grinds, something doesn’t ‘feel right’ (which is an amazing assertion on my part as I’m old, in bad shape, look terrible, and am infrequently trying to skate/fling shit I’ve never really had all that great. And out of all of that, I’ll blame the forged plates.
I’d prefer a lower indy. I’m going to try and rehab some stage 10 139s I found. The forged just bugs me. The heavier truck just plows thru grinds (generally a shitty 50 50 for me).
Where the hollow stuff starts to pay off is when I’m outside of my range. I couldn’t skate 149s. The coolest local skater of the last 15 years was way early on that wave, and I really wanted to get down, but just could not. Possibly a forged hollow or titanium truck would have worked.
As an aside, my favorite stage 11 truck were 159s. Look sick, turn great, loved the pop. Probably should have fucked around more with that, but hate the way the bigger boards look. Also should/could have messed with those in hollow.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #1207 on: March 09, 2023, 08:47:01 AM »
Sorry if this info is already somewhere..

Stage 4s gonna skate pretty similar to indy standards? Same height and wheelbase, but a little bit of a deeper turn and a few grams heavier?

IpathCats

« Reply #1208 on: March 09, 2023, 09:04:25 AM »

Stage 4s gonna skate pretty similar to indy standards? Same height and wheelbase, but a little bit of a deeper turn and a few grams heavier?

Users are reporting that the stage 4s skate more like an ace than a stage 11 indy.

Completely different turning characteristics vs the stage 11

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1209 on: March 09, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Users are reporting that the stage 4s skate more like an ace than a stage 11 indy.

Completely different turning characteristics vs the stage 11

Yeah, regardless of feeling about how similarly (or not) that they skate, objectively they push the WB in from a standard and are lower than the advertised 55mm height.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
« Reply #1210 on: March 09, 2023, 09:50:10 AM »
for the Stage 4, is all the difference found in the hangars?  are the bushings different sizes (other than marking/label)?  or are there changes to the baseplates as well?

hardly art, hardly starving

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #1211 on: March 09, 2023, 09:54:53 AM »
thank you guys!

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1212 on: March 09, 2023, 09:58:12 AM »
for the Stage 4, is all the difference found in the hangars?  are the bushings different sizes (other than marking/label)?  or are there changes to the baseplates as well?

Nope, not just a baseplate thing. The bushings are both taller, and the baseplate has a steeper kingpin angle (that could be taller or it could just be the angle).

I guess some pics have surfaced of people rocking the hangars on forged plates, but that will range the geo. When I get home later I'll measure the KP angles and bushing heights to help give the full picture.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1213 on: March 09, 2023, 10:02:39 AM »
Bushings def taller,  both top and bottom.

Overall truck height seems the same to me at 55mm. Def higher than my Ace AF1s and Classics.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1214 on: March 09, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

buggot

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1215 on: March 09, 2023, 03:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Any wheelbite issues on 52mm wheels on Indy's Forged Hollow (not mid) trucks?

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1216 on: March 10, 2023, 05:54:11 AM »
Currently running the x97’s in 52mm on 149 Ti’s, not even a nibble of wheelbite.

IpathCats

« Reply #1217 on: March 10, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »

So you think I should have ran bigger wheels with the forged? I was thinking lower truck smaller wheels.

sorry, missed this.

Not necessarily. i was just saying that you COULD get away with 56mm classics on forged plates if you didnt run your trucks super loose.

The point about different wheel sizes/plate combos i was trying to make was more about my preferred pop feel and overall setup height.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1218 on: March 10, 2023, 09:39:51 AM »
I have 54s on 139 forged hollows and the wheelbite is not an issue. It happens if I land shitty, but I am not conscious of it otherwise. Also I ride classics so maybe the rounded edges buy me a little extra room before my wheels hit.

I got way more wheelbite on Thunder 147s and 52s.

Also I don't know if it's just me but I like a slightly bigger wheel on narrower trucks. I feel like it locks me in nicely.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1219 on: March 10, 2023, 10:20:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Any wheelbite issues on 52mm wheels on Indy's Forged Hollow (not mid) trucks?

Not many. I ride nuts flush on stock bushings. The only time I will get pitched is occasionally on a pop shuv. Everything else works quite well.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #1220 on: March 10, 2023, 10:27:17 AM »

bushings on stage 4’s are definitely taller than standard orange Indy bushings. I just got some ace standard bushings to put in these Indy stage 4 trucks. the red stage 4 Indy bushings are the same exact height as ace standard bushings, and the ace bushings are much better.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1221 on: March 10, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »

they put out this cute little post to clearly show the difference between stage 4 / stage 11. to me they look just like Aces

So basically it went like this: Ace started making basically their version of stage 4s, indy was like, "huh, i guess people must like these. Let's just make stage 4's again then!" and here we are.

logjammin

• Rep: 354
« Reply #1222 on: March 11, 2023, 08:35:27 AM »

Stage 4 hangers on stage 11 IKP baseplates with Ace AF1 pivot cups and Ace bushings. Blue loctite on the Kreper pin, I’m not fucking around.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1223 on: March 11, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
Finally had clear enough weather to get a session on these Stage 4s. These are my first impressions.

I wasn't expecting an extremely carvy truck, but these are it. It's significant enough to make it feel different than the Stage 11s (in terms of turn). The inevitable Ace AF1 turn comparison is that for me they feel extremely similar, but the taller height of the Stage 4s means you can get a deeper turn before wheelbite. The board still feels stable and controllable though.

These felt too carvy (had the kingpin nut flush with the kingpin!) so I did tighten them a bit, and it was really easy to get them to how I'm used to without compressing the bushing so much that it dies.

How carvy? Top wheelbite is my usual spot (Indy Stage 11), and the bottom wheelbite isn't something I've experienced before until these trucks.

Bushings firmed up fairly quickly so I did loosen the nut a little bit but not by a whole lot; just a quarter turn.

Grind felt exactly the same as Stage 11s. Honestly the kingpin clearance felt fine to me on both metal coping and curbs, and I couldn't find a notable difference between this and Stage 11 KP clearance. Still need to hit a concrete ledge though.

Weight seemed fine but I'm used to the various Indy weights, but anyone that hates the weight of Indys aren't going to enjoy this truck at all especially if they find the Stage 11s to be too heavy. These 146s (8.375") weigh similar to Indy 159s.

Again, this is just my first impressions. Don't take this as a final review.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #1224 on: March 11, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »
*Inevitable Slap super-franken-truck*

Stage 4 hangers on stage 11 IKP baseplates with Ace AF1 pivot cups and Ace bushings. Blue loctite on the Kreper pin, I’m not fucking around.

I am not about to hop all these hoops but I want to step on these or something as crazy as this.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

logjammin

• Rep: 354
« Reply #1225 on: March 11, 2023, 04:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am not about to hop all these hoops but I want to step on these or something as crazy as this.

Nah this ain’t even that bad in my history of truck schizophrenia. Hanger and baseplate are the same brand and the geometry actually makes sense and works. The only complicated part of this equation was me trying to not make a mess with the loctite but my clumsy ass definitely got it all over the bottom washer and bushing but it hasn’t seemed to affect those components.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #1226 on: March 11, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah this ain’t even that bad in my history of truck schizophrenia. Hanger and baseplate are the same brand and the geometry actually makes sense and works. The only complicated part of this equation was me trying to not make a mess with the loctite but my clumsy ass definitely got it all over the bottom washer and bushing but it hasn’t seemed to affect those components.

Oh I remember my first month in here someone had a crazy mix match of things.
It’s why I’ve bought Khiro bushings and magnesium Ace baseplates but because Khiro isn’t around and Ace doesn’t make mag plates anymore I don’t want to skate them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1227 on: March 12, 2023, 08:39:14 AM »
I don’t know if this is the correct thread, but it would seem like the place ask, since some of you are clearly comfortable with frankentrucking.

I’m trying to swap plates/kingpins on my 139 lows with cast, and my 159 forged hollows. Best of both worlds I’d think. Cast hollow for 159s and forged plate on the lows, would take them even lower.

Problem is I’m not very good at removing kingpins. How do I do it without fucking them up?
I’ve gotten as far as pushing the low kingpins out, but it did cost me their nuts.

If I want to skate tonight I’ll need at least a couple nuts holding one of the sets together.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

IpathCats

« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »
I don’t know if this is the correct thread, but it would seem like the place ask, since some of you are clearly comfortable with frankentrucking.

I’m trying to swap plates/kingpins on my 139 lows with cast, and my 159 forged hollows. Best of both worlds I’d think. Cast hollow for 159s and forged plate on the lows, would take them even lower.

Problem is I’m not very good at removing kingpins. How do I do it without fucking them up?
I’ve gotten as far as pushing the low kingpins out, but it did cost me their nuts.

If I want to skate tonight I’ll need at least a couple nuts holding one of the sets together.

I have no good technique for removing kingpins. I've only ever done it twice, it took a lot of force and effort and the baseplates didn't hold the new pins well, effectively rendering them useless.

manysnakes

« Reply #1229 on: March 12, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »

When I've removed the kingpins from my trucks, I put them on my bench vise, with the clamps open so that I can hammer the kingpin between them. I think I clamped the trucks in the vise once and it marred the plate, so the next time I set it on top of the vise and clamped the plate with a trigger clamp to keep it from popping off.

But yeah, basically you need something hard, preferably metal (a vise is also an anvil), with a gap in the middle through which you can drive the kingpin.