Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129293 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1620 on: August 11, 2023, 05:33:31 PM »
I am one of the dudes who rides his Indies stock out of the box religiously. This thread has encouraged me to give my Forged Hollows that I ride stock a quarter turn as I feel indeed the stock bushings soften up over time. Wish me luck.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2246
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1621 on: August 11, 2023, 09:37:09 PM »
I am one of the dudes who rides his Indies stock out of the box religiously. This thread has encouraged me to give my Forged Hollows that I ride stock a quarter turn as I feel indeed the stock bushings soften up over time. Wish me luck.
You'll be in our prayers.
Should you, god forbid, fail to return from this dangerous experiment, we will let your family know you loved them.
May god guide your skate wrench, brave sir.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #1622 on: August 11, 2023, 10:10:13 PM »

Lord have mercy should you ever try out an Ace top washer on your Indys.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1623 on: August 12, 2023, 05:37:00 PM »
Expand Quote

by brent atchley in a satori ad
[close]

That clip is all time awesome, blacked out board multi colour wheels

looks like he’s on a regular board, albeit a small one. very sick. those trucks look good and i bought them because of that

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1624 on: August 12, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You'll be in our prayers.
Should you, god forbid, fail to return from this dangerous experiment, we will let your family know you loved them.
May god guide your skate wrench, brave sir.

If you don‘r read a post from me in the next 24 hours, summon the National Guard, Sir.

Lord have mercy should you ever try out an Ace top washer on your Indys.

I won‘t but I thought about putting flat washers on my Aces because they don‘t turn as much as my Indies.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1625 on: August 19, 2023, 06:10:54 AM »
Stupid question, but titanium hanger with cast plate works right? Ordered some cast plates with the 6 holes and was looking to put some new titanium hangers with em. Pretty sure I’ve seen a few Slap guys running this combo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1626 on: August 19, 2023, 07:05:34 AM »
I have that but I'd recommend padding the axles with washers so the nuts are close to flush. My Ti axle ends have worn so much I can barely get the nuts on

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1627 on: August 19, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »
Stupid question, but titanium hanger with cast plate works right? Ordered some cast plates with the 6 holes and was looking to put some new titanium hangers with em. Pretty sure I’ve seen a few Slap guys running this combo.

Yes! Unless you need the six hole, better to get forged plates and chuck on a riser for further weight reductions. Them cast pates be heavey.

I have that but I'd recommend padding the axles with washers so the nuts are close to flush. My Ti axle ends have worn so much I can barely get the nuts on

You've got those AF1 -re-threader nuts now, get to work!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 12:59:49 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1628 on: August 19, 2023, 02:35:26 PM »
Oh they thread fine it's just that on my heel side axles there isn't enough axle left to engage the nylock almost. I'm too dumb to post a photo, but they have worn down more than any other axles I've ever had.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1629 on: August 19, 2023, 06:20:03 PM »

Yes, I have as many cast plates on any of my own setups, over forged, so if weight is not a worry, cast all the way, mix n match on standard hangers, hollow axles and ti axles alike.

It helps that some friends always want the forged baseplates so I can swap them out any time.  They get what they want in a lower / lighter truck baseplate and I get what I want in cast plates, but as said, it is not hard to put risers under forged baseplates to get them up a little higher.

If it is to get the six hole baseplates for whatever reason, then yes they work great, so you can use the old school hole pattern on whatever old school deck and put the lighter ti axle hangers on it to make a better combo, which is way easier than trying to drill out a forged baseplate to the six hole pattern, but I have seen it done too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1630 on: August 19, 2023, 06:30:23 PM »
Word! No real reason for the 6 holes, but I saw them online and was more intrigued about the castness - the 6 hole was just a cool side note, making me feel like they’re stage 8s again lol. I’m liking the standard height way more these days, which was not historically the case but  8)

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1631 on: August 25, 2023, 10:47:12 AM »
What are the effects of putting Mindy 149 hangars on Stg 11 standard baseplates? I frankenstien'd a pair together because I wasn't vibing w/ the inverted kingpin but still wanted to ride the hangars that fit perfect on a new set-up.

I guess the easy way to ask is - is there a major difference between the two noted model's baseplates? Or is any difference minor enough to forgot?

Maybe already addressed in the thread, but I wasn't sure how to search it....
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1632 on: August 25, 2023, 02:03:09 PM »
What are the effects of putting Mindy 149 hangars on Stg 11 standard baseplates? I frankenstien'd a pair together because I wasn't vibing w/ the inverted kingpin but still wanted to ride the hangars that fit perfect on a new set-up.

I guess the easy way to ask is - is there a major difference between the two noted model's baseplates? Or is any difference minor enough to forgot?

whats a "Mindy hanger"? the baseplates are what dictate height of stage 11 cast, forged and mids AFAIK.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1633 on: August 25, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

whats a "Mindy hanger"? the baseplates are what dictate height of stage 11 cast, forged and mids AFAIK.

the hangar from an Indy Mid - is that not the usual slang?

Either way, i didn't know if the baseplate or hangar affected the geo

If its just the baseplate that determines height, they should just basically be a stage 11 standard then?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1634 on: August 25, 2023, 03:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If its just the baseplate that determines height, they should just basically be a stage 11 standard then?

On mids and lows you can use/have either baseplate. There are currently only 4 baseplate options. Cast and forged. On mids they throw in the inverted kingpin.
The geo is all in the hanger.

I imagine you’ll get less kp clearance with your frankied trucks, but mid come with the most to begin with, so might not be an issue.

I’d rather get forged from here on in, as can get a lower and lighter setup. With cast you can only go higher and never lighter.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1635 on: August 25, 2023, 03:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On mids and lows you can use/have either baseplate. There are currently only 4 baseplate options. Cast and forged. On mids they throw in the inverted kingpin.

I imagine you’ll get less kp clearance with your frankied trucks, but mid come with the most to begin with, so might not be an issue.

I’d rather get forged from here on in, as can get a lower and lighter setup. With cast you can only go higher and never lighter.
There's the answer, thank you!

The kp clearance seemed fine, at least it didn't look fucked

Luckily these franken-indys were just spare parts hanging around but Im definitely keeping forged in mind for next time

I set an 8.4 deck up after years of riding 8.5+ so these were the only hangars I had that would fit decent

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1636 on: August 25, 2023, 04:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah, i see that now, M149. i thought they were just using a stage 11 hanger on lower changed geo baseplates, with lower bushings. i haven't looked at mids since they came out.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1637 on: August 26, 2023, 09:08:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

by brent atchley in a satori ad
[close]

That clip is all time awesome, blacked out board multi colour wheels
[close]

looks like he’s on a regular board, albeit a small one. very sick. those trucks look good and i bought them because of that

I mean, the thumbnail has a black board but maybe

https://youtu.be/nv9Iz-UJv9c?si=AQ1d3fiWw1DuZNqi

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1638 on: August 27, 2023, 01:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Luckily these franken-indys were just spare parts hanging around but Im definitely keeping forged in mind for next time

I set an 8.4 deck up after years of riding 8.5+ so these were the only hangars I had that would fit decent

Were you riding 159s, 151, etc. on your 8.5+ models? Is that why you sought out the Mid Indy 149 and not use an existing 149?
Super Champion Fun Zone

standfast

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1639 on: August 28, 2023, 07:07:36 AM »
Is anyone from Indy here listening? Please reissue indy low in hollows or make the indy mid in hollow without all that extra weight from he extra on the hanger. I'll buy a dozen pairs if you do!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:10:52 AM by standfast »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1640 on: August 28, 2023, 07:31:42 AM »
If the Forged mids had a normal kingpin or it didn't slip I'd be interested.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1641 on: August 28, 2023, 08:12:10 AM »
Is anyone from Indy here listening? Please reissue indy low in hollows or make the indy mid in hollow without all that extra weight from he extra on the hanger. I'll buy a dozen pairs if you do!
DM them like a man

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1642 on: August 28, 2023, 09:03:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Were you riding 159s, 151, etc. on your 8.5+ models? Is that why you sought out the Mid Indy 149 and not use an existing 149?

149 standard was my go-to until I got 159s - rode those for a few years, then got some AF1 66s as a gift so i rode ~9" for a while. Loved the Aces but they are big and were kinda limiting me.

I wanted to try the mid indy, and 149 to go back to smaller trucks. I just couldn't tell if the inv. kingpin was backing out or not, and it was tripping me out so i mostly said fuck the base plates

Just had a session on the frankenstein trucks and they felt like home

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1643 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:21 AM »

Had this happen yesterday. I was changing out my wheels and deck and when I went to tighten my axle nut down the axle just broke off lol. These are ~2 year old Titanium 169 so I'm guessing it's not under warranty but I wanted to know if there's anything I could do through NHS.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1644 on: September 01, 2023, 11:26:21 AM »

Had this happen yesterday. I was changing out my wheels and deck and when I went to tighten my axle nut down the axle just broke off lol. These are ~2 year old Titanium 169 so I'm guessing it's not under warranty but I wanted to know if there's anything I could do through NHS.

Nah man, Indy’s are “guaranteed 4 LYFE”
In reality they’re warranted until they are proportionately fucked.
I’d get in touch with customer service since those trucks doesn’t look too worn.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1645 on: September 01, 2023, 12:05:11 PM »
Yeah, warranty or not, they sold what’s essentially a defective product to thousands of people. It’s only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt due to the random catastrophic failure of these Ti rods.

minilogoflow

« Reply #1646 on: September 01, 2023, 01:40:53 PM »
Yeah, warranty or not, they sold what’s essentially a defective product to thousands of people. It’s only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt due to the random catastrophic failure of these Ti rods.

Seriously, I'm just glad this happened when I was putting a board together and not actually skating. Between this and the mids being garbage, I think I'm just gonna go back to Thunder.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1647 on: September 01, 2023, 03:34:49 PM »

Ti axles on anything post 2020 seem to be anything but trustworthy, as you are just one of many who have had similar things happen.

First point of call is the shop where you got them, if possible, as they tend to have more options rather than you just going to the NHS warranty page and filling out the form.

As others said, the truck doesn't look heavily used, so although the time frame might be a little long, the life of the truck is far from done there, so that should be good grounds for a warranty.

Lots of these have been warrantied in the past, so if nothing is able to come from it, others have bought a new set, waited a while and then sent the old ones back for warranty, which might sound bad, but it is getting the replacement for a known faulty product that some people and places might not want to deal with, as I had seen and heard from other experiences.

Meanwhile, you can either return, sell, trade your new ones if you don't want to ride them any more, or get plain hollow instead, which don't seem to have any issues and still skate great, or standards for that matter, although some people do find they don't like the weight of them in the wider sizes.

A few options anyway.

minilogoflow

« Reply #1648 on: September 01, 2023, 03:47:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ti axles on anything post 2020 seem to be anything but trustworthy, as you are just one of many who have had similar things happen.

First point of call is the shop where you got them, if possible, as they tend to have more options rather than you just going to the NHS warranty page and filling out the form.

As others said, the truck doesn't look heavily used, so although the time frame might be a little long, the life of the truck is far from done there, so that should be good grounds for a warranty.

Lots of these have been warrantied in the past, so if nothing is able to come from it, others have bought a new set, waited a while and then sent the old ones back for warranty, which might sound bad, but it is getting the replacement for a known faulty product that some people and places might not want to deal with, as I had seen and heard from other experiences.

Meanwhile, you can either return, sell, trade your new ones if you don't want to ride them any more, or get plain hollow instead, which don't seem to have any issues and still skate great, or standards for that matter, although some people do find they don't like the weight of them in the wider sizes.

A few options anyway.

I appreciate the reply, I think I'm just gonna cut my losses for the time being but I'll probably send them in and bless a homie with the new set. I have a set of hollow 169 hangers I'm gonna skate for the meantime but I'm thinking about trying out a different brand all together.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1649 on: September 01, 2023, 04:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

A few options anyway.
[close]

I appreciate the reply, I think I'm just gonna cut my losses for the time being but I'll probably send them in and bless a homie with the new set. I have a set of hollow 169 hangers I'm gonna skate for the meantime but I'm thinking about trying out a different brand all together.

For sure!

You would definitely not be the first to break some and then think I am happier on other brand trucks entirely.

I like Indy standards the most out of everything I skate and stay clear of the ti axles on everything really, even though I have a few sets pre 2020 that are still going strong, all second hand from others.

Also wanted to say I have no brand links / loyalty in that regard, so whatever you find that works best for you, but at least there are a good number of 9" trucks out there now, be it Indy, Thunder, Ace, Slappy or almost any others that should not have the same issues as the Indy ti axle trucks.