Author Topic: Skate insights/secrets  (Read 43274 times)

fulltechnicalskizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
Re: Skate insights/secrets
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
use ur skate to kill god fearing americans if u want to do communism

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Hard flips are all in the toes and leaning back over the back foot
I'm going to try this. If it works I might even believe you about your baloney sauce
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2020, 07:56:18 PM »
If you say Fred Gall 3 times while looking in the mirror he’ll appear and grant you 1 wish.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »
Next time you bomb a hill, plant a dog whistle partly under your grip and watch those pups come runnin!

Now that’s what I call doing it doggy style ;D
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2020, 11:44:37 AM »
Next time you bomb a hill, plant a dog whistle partly under your grip and watch those pups come runnin!

Now that’s what I call doing it doggy style ;D

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
Committing is safer than going in 50%

Also the Front Crook tips that Jamie said he got from Cole are seriously game changers:
-Bs heel feet
-ride parallel
-head over the pinch wheel

PS: the classic spitfire shape is the BEST better for all Crooks. Ive tried all the F4 shapes, the big rounded classic shape glides over the ledge different, even better than radial/slims

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2020, 11:25:58 PM »
Committing is safer than going in 50%

Also the Front Crook tips that Jamie said he got from Cole are seriously game changers:
-Bs heel feet
-ride parallel
-head over the pinch wheel

PS: the classic spitfire shape is the BEST better for all Crooks. Ive tried all the F4 shapes, the big rounded classic shape glides over the ledge different, even better than radial/slims

Love the insight on this trick, it's a trick that definitely feels better going with some speed than slow and hoping for the best, but I also see speed as a bit of a crutch, like I go fast so I can blast my way through instead of getting the technique 100%. Going fast also makes exiting tricks way easier since your momentum automatically wants to take you out the ledge.

1 thing I tell myself is to not be lazy and actually get a good solid pop to get slightly above the ledge and tweak out the crook, which can be intimidating since it's easy to overshoot the ledge and end up on your back. If I don't give a solid pop I end up in FS noseslide. Depending on my truck I will adjust how far back I put my dragging foot. If I got a light popping truck (Thunder) I put my foot closer up the front, if I got a heavy popping truck (Venture) I put my foot further back for more drag time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2020, 04:49:48 AM »
Any tips for frontside flips, I just can’t wrap my head around them backside makes way more sense. Should I get them down fakie first?

Hombreezy

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »
Any tips for frontside flips, I just can’t wrap my head around them backside makes way more sense. Should I get them down fakie first?
I got my hardflips really good before I learned those because the front foot positioning and slide is pretty much the same. It also really helps me to sit back a little over the back foot (don’t sit back too much or you’ll just start flinging the board) and focus on getting the full 180 with my shoulders. Then it’s all about flicking hard and quick off the nose so i can get both feet out of the way.
If that was a confusing explanation, then just focus on doing a great frontside 180 and move your front foot off the nose and out of the way like you would for a hardflip.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »

a lot of times your body's rotation gets stuck halfway when you're waiting for the kickflip to finish. Focus on turning the full 180 with a good flick and really bring your back foot around. also start to spin your arms and shoulders right before you pop

fakie can be easier for some, but it is a different trick in execution

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
Mob the flick and bring your foot just a tiny bit down from where you’re probably putting it at. That’ll give you Carroll style caught ones.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2020, 11:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got my hardflips really good before I learned those because the front foot positioning and slide is pretty much the same. It also really helps me to sit back a little over the back foot (don’t sit back too much or you’ll just start flinging the board) and focus on getting the full 180 with my shoulders. Then it’s all about flicking hard and quick off the nose so i can get both feet out of the way.
If that was a confusing explanation, then just focus on doing a great frontside 180 and move your front foot off the nose and out of the way like you would for a hardflip.

Same - motion is really similar to a Hardflip and for me there isn't anything special I can say about a FS Flip. I really learned them as FS 180 with a Kickflip. It helps to get a good scoop with the back foot with your foot in the center of the tail. I try to make sure I'm getting a good 180 with a decent amount of height and scoop, if not the board just ends up under me.

Like Willy Santos said, flick of the toe makes it happen, motion more sideways than upwards (unlike a Hardflip). From there it's the catch and completing the rotation.

This trick feels really different from BS Kickflips to me, I still can't wrap my head around that one yet despite watching the instructional from Ben Degros.

Expand Quote
[close]
Mob the flick and bring your foot just a tiny bit down from where you’re probably putting it at. That’ll give you Carroll style caught ones.

I agree, in this case having a mob flip helps.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2020, 08:13:24 PM »
For nollie heels, for me, i cant pop straight down with this trick. I slightly nudge it forward before i pop the board if that makes sense. Its like I'm pushing a nose manual in front of me for a split second, then pop and then heelflip. When i started doing this the nollie heels got higher and leveled. Whenever I pop straight down I always rocket it. Same thing goes for fakie heels. This doesn't work for nollie flips though, that one you do pop straight down.

game changing realization for me recently. also, i think this technique can be applied to many tricks, provided they are not dependent on a scooped pop. i feel like in general a slight opposing pressure of the popping leg maintains contact and control between the grip and sliding foot, leading to more height, control, and crispiness. i think of my pop foot as "feeding" the board to my slide/flick foot.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
For nollie heels, for me, i cant pop straight down with this trick. I slightly nudge it forward before i pop the board if that makes sense. Its like I'm pushing a nose manual in front of me for a split second, then pop and then heelflip. When i started doing this the nollie heels got higher and leveled. Whenever I pop straight down I always rocket it. Same thing goes for fakie heels. This doesn't work for nollie flips though, that one you do pop straight down.
[close]

game changing realization for me recently. also, i think this technique can be applied to many tricks, provided they are not dependent on a scooped pop. i feel like in general a slight opposing pressure of the popping leg maintains contact and control between the grip and sliding foot, leading to more height, control, and crispiness. i think of my pop foot as "feeding" the board to my slide/flick foot.

Totally. I do this with ollie's if I want to pop em high. Its hard to do at speed but can be learned.

Drag back momentarily as you pop and give your front foot leverage.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

MORT

• Rep: -2
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »
When doing backside smith grinds picture the motion when throwing a bowling ball. The back leg sweeps behind you using your toe. Works for transition and ledges.

MORT

« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2020, 06:57:03 AM »
Oh and just fucking breathe. That’s works for everything in life.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2020, 08:35:35 AM »

How do you mean

MORT

« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you mean

When skating try to focus on your breath. A lot of us hold our breath and tense up right as we try something. Focusing on your breath calms your mind and relaxes your body, which in turn lets muscle memory take over. Works for almost any stressful or strenuous moment really. Try it.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2020, 10:37:05 AM »
Breathing huh?  Sounds crazy but I’ll give it a shot.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »

As an anti-breather, I can tell you that's exactly what big government and the soulless breathing corporations want you to do.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2020, 11:09:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you mean
[close]

When skating try to focus on your breath. A lot of us hold our breath and tense up right as we try something. Focusing on your breath calms your mind and relaxes your body, which in turn lets muscle memory take over. Works for almost any stressful or strenuous moment really. Try it.

Sounds interesting. Can you send me a link with technique. If such thing exists.

MORT

« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2020, 11:19:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you mean
[close]

[close]

Sounds interesting. Can you send me a link with technique. If such thing exists.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
I've heard that before and it sounds like a good idea but it's hard enough for me to focus on the trick already I don't know how focussing on what my breathing's doing as well is going to help
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As an anti-breather, I can tell you that's exactly what big government and the soulless breathing corporations want you to do.

#breathegate

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
I took note from boxing and mma on the subject of breathing. Deep breath in through your nose, blow it out slowly through your mouth to lower your heart rate when exhausted from trying a trick and help your stamina.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2241
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
Depending on deductions claimed & which exemptions you qualify for, skateboarding may actually owe YOU more than wheel bite in the rain.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

HeapsCool

• Rep: -174
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you mean
[close]

Yep, everything I've done I'm proud of on a skateboard comes back to relaxing and focusing on my breath.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #267 on: October 26, 2020, 03:34:46 AM »
use ur skate to kill god fearing americans if u want to do communism
Best one so far