Author Topic: DIY boards/graphics  (Read 148552 times)

JamesNtheGntPch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: DIY boards/graphics
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
Yeah it's pretty nice. The industrial design program at my university has it tucked in their studio.

Here are the finished boards.

I started with the basic blob-ish body for the graphics and just played with it through a few drawings and picked these three for the boards.
It's the first time I've done a series.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:34:16 AM by JamesNtheGntPch »

ZEBRA

« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
Yeah it's pretty nice. The industrial design program at my university has it tucked in their studio.

Here are the finished boards.

I started with the basic blob-ish body for the graphics and just played with it through a few drawings and picked these three for the boards.
It's the first time I've done a series.

Backing those boards so fucking hard.

Great job!!! They look awesome.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »
Thanks man!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Hell yes. Big fucking high 5 on all 3. they look GREAT!
@idealhandmades

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #334 on: January 19, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
Thanks sweatercuff. I started following you on instagram.  The lions came out cool.  I think you should go heavier on the line work to show the amount of detail you put into it.

Grand_Larsony

• Rep: -1
  • ALL HAIL CARDIEL!!!
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

Made this one for my friend for christmas. First one's in comparison to my regular board which is 8.43 and it's before I added the little bit of white to the feathers. Got this idea from a picture Marc Johnson put on instagram.

And here's one I just finished the graphic on. Again, compared to my current regular board, which is i believe a 8.375 or something? Idk, local shop deck anyways.

This board was originally a stereo that my friend snapped the nose off just behind the front bolts. And yeah, i fucked up drilling the holes the first time so that's why there's two sets on the nose. Got the animal chin stencil from when Bones was hyping up the Bones brigade documentary and was letting people download Animal Chin for free along with a pack of wallpapers/stencils. Got some tracker full tracks on the way and I'm pretty stoked to get to skate this

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
Cool, the feather board looks like a board that a native american would have mad if their culture skateboarded before westerners demolished their civilization. 

Also, cool to see that you can make a cool mini board when you completely break a board.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »
good shit grand, they both look super fun. i hope your friend was psyched on that feather board cause that thing looks amazing.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Grand_Larsony

• Rep: -1
  • ALL HAIL CARDIEL!!!
« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »
Thanks for the kind words   ;D Glad I found this thread, otherwise I probly wouldn't have been motivated to start doin this! Will keep posting as more creations are made :)

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:15 PM »
So I needed a new board cause the magenta I've been riding has taken a beating for the past 3 months. Decided it was time to use a gift certificate I got way back for x-mas at the local here, and saw an old friend on the wall. It was the roger with the stripes that I had altered the graphic of, and then had break an hour into the first session.
I bought it, and gave it the same tapestry pattern as its predecessor but changed the color scheme to work with the purple ply.

Gripping it tomorrow. Hopefully she'll treat me good.
@idealhandmades

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
Took a few xanax a few nights ago and this came out.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »

I frequently draw floating heads as well.

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
hey sweatercuff i really fuck with those roger alteration graphics you've been doin.
ive been meaning to post in here to ask you what the process is for that.
i recently got a almost double impact board and the graphic is so fuckin lame.
i wanted to alter it and paint some shit on there.
so like what do i need to do for this?
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
So I needed a new board cause the magenta I've been riding has taken a beating for the past 3 months. Decided it was time to use a gift certificate I got way back for x-mas at the local here, and saw an old friend on the wall. It was the roger with the stripes that I had altered the graphic of, and then had break an hour into the first session.
I bought it, and gave it the same tapestry pattern as its predecessor but changed the color scheme to work with the purple ply.

Gripping it tomorrow. Hopefully she'll treat me good.

love both of em

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
hey sweatercuff i really fuck with those roger alteration graphics you've been doin.
ive been meaning to post in here to ask you what the process is for that.
i recently got a almost double impact board and the graphic is so fuckin lame.
i wanted to alter it and paint some shit on there.
so like what do i need to do for this?

most tips I'd offer i've already gone over in this topic, so check the back pages for more, but basicly just get a sander and some sandpaper and get to work grinding that crap off, and then decide what to do from there medium-wise. if you paint, go thin and avoid tacky globs. While were on that topic of tacky... DONT JUST MAKE A GRAPHIC USING LENGTHS OF MASKING TAPE alla BUTTERYASS DONOVAN, IT'S A FUCKING SNOOZE FEST, TAKES THE ARTISTIC INSIGHT OF A TODDLER, AND STRIPES ARE BEST LEFT TO COREY DUFFEL...
But dont feel like you HAVE to go with paint. you can use any medium you'd like that shows up on wood. All you gotta do is give it a thin clear coat at the end, and it'll work.

If you wanted to see my step by step process with that first Orange Roger (that sadly broke an hour in to the first session a ways back) then just look a ways back on my instagram. same name as here.
@idealhandmades

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »

This is nuts.  Trying to figure it out made me crack up.  Did you use a crayola? Is it supposed to be a calendar under the lower head?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
lol yeah i used crayola crayons. I really didnt know what the calendar was until i finished it and that's what it looked like. The bottom head is supposed to be a black widow spider. When I finally use this board it's gonna slide so quick with all the crayon wax.  Btw i really like your blob-ish body boards.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:30:09 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
lol yeah i used crayola crayons. I really didnt know what the calendar was until i finished it and that's what it looked like. The bottom head is supposed to be a black widow spider. When I finally use this board it's gonna slide so quick with all the crayon wax.  Btw i really like your blob-ish body boards.
that's hellie sick bro. maybe you can wax up ledges just by doing boardslides lm@o

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

Haha that's awesome. I didn't even think about how well it will slide!

And thanks dude.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #349 on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:03 AM »
purple nurple is looking sick sweatercuff, hope that board holds up for you. and it looks like the drugs did u (or at least your board) well johnes. i did some painters tape stencils and a little pattern on my cruiser shape but my new job has me super busy and tired lately, maybe later this week i will get some spray paint time in on my porch.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

plankskate

• Rep: 8
« Reply #350 on: April 01, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Cruiser shape cut from an old used board, repainted and stenciled.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #351 on: April 01, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
looks like it turned out pretty good to me.
[close]

Yeah, I also think that it turned great.
Maybe it's slightly different from what you expected or had in your mind but I think it's pretty, pretty good.
Congrats!

[close]

Have you tried this again?  I think it would be cool to extend the grid of photos to the whole board.  Just let them bleed off the edges when they get to the nose and tail.
Sorry, just saw this! I haven't tried it again, though I want to. The class I did it in is going on again right now so I was contemplating giving it another shot, but I just haven't had the time. A friend who's in the class is trying an allover print on a deck so I'll wait to see how that turns out.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #352 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »

deck looks sick... but are those grind kings?

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
looks like it turned out pretty good to me.
[close]

Yeah, I also think that it turned great.
Maybe it's slightly different from what you expected or had in your mind but I think it's pretty, pretty good.
Congrats!

[close]

Have you tried this again?  I think it would be cool to extend the grid of photos to the whole board.  Just let them bleed off the edges when they get to the nose and tail.
[close]
Sorry, just saw this! I haven't tried it again, though I want to. The class I did it in is going on again right now so I was contemplating giving it another shot, but I just haven't had the time. A friend who's in the class is trying an allover print on a deck so I'll wait to see how that turns out.

Sounds like a plan, no worries.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »
I just got my first new order of boards in from Generator in
things be happnin' soon
@idealhandmades

plankskate

• Rep: 8
« Reply #355 on: April 02, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
deck looks sick... but are those grind kings?

Yep, they gotta go.  They don't turn at all.  I'm going to pull a set of indy 129's off another setup to use on this.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »

I found this book titled The Art of Swimming from the 1600's that had these awesome etch prints, so I wanted to recreate them in an 8 board series.

Each woodburning took about 2 1/2 hours

The best part about these kinds of graphics, is that they don't chip away when you skate them. they smeer and fade and still slide just as good as a normal production line graphic because im very careful with how much medium I apply and knowing it's properties and what to use as a finish coat.

They will be available for sale soon.
@idealhandmades

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
inspiring and creative

Sweatercuff - That is honestly the most interesting and inspiring series that I have seen in ages.

I would actually be interested in buying a piece. Do you have a rough estimate of how much they're going cost?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:41:37 AM by DeputyDoses »

foureyedjim

« Reply #358 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »

I found this book titled The Art of Swimming from the 1600's that had these awesome etch prints, so I wanted to recreate them in an 8 board series.

Each woodburning took about 2 1/2 hours

The best part about these kinds of graphics, is that they don't chip away when you skate them. they smeer and fade and still slide just as good as a normal production line graphic because im very careful with how much medium I apply and knowing it's properties and what to use as a finish coat.

They will be available for sale soon.

sweet, what did you use for the color?

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: April 12, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
a waterbased stain similar to the kind they use to dye certain plys different colors. the key is to make sure you only use a sparing amount so you dont drench the thing and also so you don't wind up globbing a bunch of crap on there.

and to Deputy, I'm planning on keeping the costs down to the 55-60 range like normal boards, because I'd like people to treat them as such.
@idealhandmades