Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309655 times)

Bobbito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
just picked this up about a month ago. It's a Specialized Globe 1 and is a joy to ride. Being a Honda/VW nerd, 'less is more' is the motto and this bike is just that. Also, it's a flip hub so once my balls drop I might change it to fixed.

[close]

dildo bars
whatever, they're more comfy for me than bullhorn joints

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2010, 10:01:36 AM »
Well that lasted long. The brakes were set up wrong so that they shredded my front tire. I could blame myself for not checking/adjusting them myself, but I bought a ready-to-ride bike so that I could just ride it.

Now I either have to buy a new tire+tube or figure out a way to get it back to the shop so they'll fix it for me. I know I'd have to learn how to do maintenance/upgrades myself but I hoped it would last at least a week.

You can't beat skateboarding.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:58 PM »
How do you guys ride fixed gear bikes? That's not an insult. It's a real question. Maybe I'm just too fat for one of those things.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Purchased a mountain bike and some tires for my road bike. 

It is a Giant nrs1 2004

should be really fun to ride

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #424 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
How do you guys ride fixed gear bikes? That's not an insult. It's a real question. Maybe I'm just too fat for one of those things.

1.  grab a pair of scissors and make yourself a pair of cut off shorts using some tight ass jeans, the tighter the better. 
2.  purchase a short sleeve button down shirt, preferably plaid but any button down will do.
3.  get a pair of vans slip-ons or any other type of vans like shoes.
4.  cop a sweet fedora just like the one lutzka always be rocking. 
5.  go spend a regular amount of money on a bike thats a pain in the ass to ride around.

by completing steps 1 through 5, you're now a trendy fix gear hipster.  you can now roam freely through brooklyn and people will think you're a local!       

Inbred Jed

« Reply #425 on: July 22, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
Maybe the appeal is low maintenance? I ride a mountain bike myself, but I had a an old mountain bile that was a lemon and always had issues with the gears. If I were to spend an outrageous amount of money on something besides a mountain I think when I get old I could get a rode bike and get into long distance riding on backroads.

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #426 on: July 22, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
Snickers, bro. that bike is tight.

I picked up a cheap fixie a few months ago. I rode that bitch like 5 miles the other day, twas a lot of pedaling.

Mine is like dark gray.

i have that exact bike in the photo. i changed the bars and pedals and some little shit too. it's so fun to ride.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #427 on: July 22, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
Seeing as I've been more or less inactive for the past year (Fractured pelvis and a terribly fucked ankle), I decided to get a bike in hopes of not getting even fatter. And it's a viable excuse to cruise around the lakes and look at babes in bikinis, a strong selling point.

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #428 on: July 22, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »
Even though I haven't had a bike since 2007, I've been looking at something like this to buy once I get a job.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
Maybe the appeal is low maintenance? I ride a mountain bike myself, but I had a an old mountain bile that was a lemon and always had issues with the gears. If I were to spend an outrageous amount of money on something besides a mountain I think when I get old I could get a rode bike and get into long distance riding on backroads.

Low maintenance and they are simple enough that you can do most of the maintenance yourself. I never even thought about starting to mess with my gear systems but with my fixed gear I can take the whole back end apart and back together in a few minutes.

Also the 24 gears with crooked chain angles and a suspension that sucks the power out of your pedaling make mountain bikes less than optimal for road use. And when I started thinking about it, I nearly never took my mountain bike offroad, so what's the point.

I never got a flat on a mountain bike though, so even in road use those fat tires are good for something. Have to start investing in spare tubes and proper pumps because of the shitty roads and their neverending repairs and constructions.

All Hail Wu Welsh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #430 on: July 28, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
Any of you guys have experience converting bikes to single speed(not a fix gear), i have a 12 speed that I want to convert.  Is it a hard process?  And how much would I have to spend on new parts, any help or reference to websites that would is much appreciated.

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1.  grab a pair of scissors and make yourself a pair of cut off shorts using some tight ass jeans, the tighter the better. 
2.  purchase a short sleeve button down shirt, preferably plaid but any button down will do.
3.  get a pair of vans slip-ons or any other type of vans like shoes.
4.  cop a sweet fedora just like the one lutzka always be rocking. 
5.  go spend a regular amount of money on a bike thats a pain in the ass to ride around.

by completing steps 1 through 5, you're now a trendy fix gear hipster.  you can now roam freely through brooklyn and people will think you're a local!       

i used to talk shit on the fixed gear trend too, and ive always like single speed better, but they are fun as hell. def weird to get used to.

dont hate on the cut pants into shorts thing. i have to do this if i want to wear shorts. im 6'1, 130 lbs, and if i wear any regular shorts, i end up looking like this motherfucker.

no green vest though.

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #432 on: July 29, 2010, 12:47:32 AM »
im 6'1, 130 lbs

You are morbidly twig-like.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #433 on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
Any of you guys have experience converting bikes to single speed(not a fix gear), i have a 12 speed that I want to convert.  Is it a hard process?  And how much would I have to spend on new parts, any help or reference to websites that would is much appreciated.

Basically the same process as fixed gear conversions except you slap a freewheel on the back, you could buy a new back wheel or you could just go jank and leave the cluster on there. Anyway it's going to be as easy and expensive as a fixed conversion unless you do it the lazy way. I'm guessing around $90 if you want to buy a new wheel. There's probably a way to take the cluster off and put a freewheel on but I don't know shit about that.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #434 on: July 29, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Basically the same process as fixed gear conversions except you slap a freewheel on the back, you could buy a new back wheel or you could just go jank and leave the cluster on there. Anyway it's going to be as easy and expensive as a fixed conversion unless you do it the lazy way. I'm guessing around $90 if you want to buy a new wheel. There's probably a way to take the cluster off and put a freewheel on but I don't know shit about that.
won't work with a 12 speed hub, but it might be easier or cheaper to find an old 8/9 speed wheel and use something like this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CS611B00-Gusset+Single+Speed+Conversion+Kit.aspx rather than a single speed/flip flop wheel.

Vegetable Lasagna

• Rep: 10
  • That's my apple juice.
« Reply #435 on: July 29, 2010, 07:04:49 AM »
Just pull off all the derailleurs, shifters, and cables and shorten the chain. Then pick a gear combo that you like and lines up well. I rode around like this for quite a while before I got a new wheelset. It looks a little goofy with all the extra-but-not-used gears on there, but only serious bikers will notice. Oh and this only works if you have somewhat horizontal dropouts. Otherwise you'd need to buy a chain tensioner.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -367
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #436 on: July 31, 2010, 01:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
im 6'1, 130 lbs
[close]

You are morbidly twig-like.
Eat a sandwich, bro.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #437 on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »

Easiest way to make a single speed- Pick a gear.  Don't shift.  No new parts or work required. 

Boomhauer

• Yep
« Reply #438 on: November 15, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
How do you avoid fixies coming up in the results when you search for single speeds? I honestly know nothing about bikes.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #439 on: November 16, 2010, 05:37:25 AM »
I recently pimped my great bike and build a bracket for my camera.

Soul Doubt

• Rep: -10
  • DAYUUUM
« Reply #440 on: November 16, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »
just picked this up about a month ago. It's a Specialized Globe 1 and is a joy to ride. Being a Honda/VW nerd, 'less is more' is the motto and this bike is just that. Also, it's a flip hub so once my balls drop I might change it to fixed.

I have this exact same bike. Its never given me problems. I replaced the handlebars and stem and got some drop downs. I love that shit.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #441 on: November 16, 2010, 07:56:42 AM »
i never got the whole 'it's so much easier to maintain a single speed.' to be honest i've had to fix and replace more shit on my single speed than i have ever on my geared bike. tuning the drive train on a geared bike isn't exactly brain surgery, either.

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
I feel the same way. My bike is a flip hub so when I got it, the shop put it together for me as a single speed. But one really hungover morning me and my buddy decided to flip the wheels on our bikes around. What ended up happening was he didnt tighten his cog pin and ended up getting a pedal to the Achilles and as for me I fell trying to do wheelies so those wheels got flipped right back around haha. But yeah, I definitely hear you man. I know a few people that ride fixed all the time and they say its pretty fun and you get used to it fast but I'd honestly rather just stick to single speed, its more enjoyable for me that way.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »
one day i will find one of these at a garage sale- i'm just going to will that to happen until it does.
it's a Pegoretti. basically it's like having the best hand-made frame in the world made just for you and then turning it over to Gonz to do a custom paint job for you. the guy who makes them, dario pegoretti, makes frames for all the guys who win all the crazy international races, they are just re-badged with their sponsors' logos. the guy is also a crazy artist and does a different paint job on each one. they're like $5000 and there's a two year wait list to get one!

Boomhauer

• Yep
« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »
Hey pals, I need help. Is this legit? A really good deal that I just so happen to find? I know Bianchis can get pretty pricey.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIANCHI-SAN-JOSE-FIXED-GEAR-FIXED-WHEEL-52cm-21-5-/260695048630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:08 AM »
Hey pals, I need help. Is this legit? A really good deal that I just so happen to find? I know Bianchis can get pretty pricey.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIANCHI-SAN-JOSE-FIXED-GEAR-FIXED-WHEEL-52cm-21-5-/260695048630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
From my limited experience I would say that there is nothing wrong with it, but nothing really good either. The parts are about as basic as they come, but you're going to start customizing it sooner or later anyway. So it might be just what you need to get started.

Can't comment on the price over quality though, since I have no idea about what that stuff costs over there. Probably good for the money?

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #446 on: November 23, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
winter time makes me nostalgic about my gayboy fixie, so I started riding it again.
it's an IRO angus with sugino messenger cranks, Jaguar stem, and B123's. My wheels/other shit are just lame stuff.

kevbo999

« Reply #447 on: November 23, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »
I brought my winter beater in to get fixed up 3 weeks ago and it's finally ready to go pick up.  It's an old 12 speed roadie and I prob could've got a new one for the price of repairs, but I guess it has sentimental value.

I was ready to spend extra and get some treaded road bike tires, but buddy at the shop said slicks were way better in snow and shit.  We will see.

Riverside

• Rep: -33
« Reply #448 on: November 23, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
if you are looking for a bike that you can leave in your garage, you'll be just fine. but if you are looking for something to drive around, then don't buy it
Sooner or later the Karma always end in your fucking face

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
just got this little video from photographer gaston francisco-- he's shot tons of stuff for us over the years, looks like he's doing some video stuff now as well. anyhow, danny wainwright fixed-cruising barcelona...