Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309614 times)

steve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
Re: bikes
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
^ is that a Trek? 70s treks are sweet!

i found an old columbia 10 speed yesterday. it's not the greatest bike, it's a columbia, but the frame is lugged (not sure what kind of steel) a nice solid blue, and scratch free. I'm going to break it down and make a single speed out of it since the shimano derailleurs are shot and it would be nice to have a single speed in the stable.

Anyone know much about converting a wheel to single speed? i'm going to look on sheldon brown's site now.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
Rode my bike into a car door today. It was scary.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
^ is that a Trek? 70s treks are sweet!

Indeed it is a trek, so much fun. I have it chained to a nice medium gear so small hills aren't bad, but getting up too speed isn't hard either

police state

• Rep: 22
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »

I don't rely on my bike as transportation, but I use it daily.   so I like something thats easy to ride and the handlebars are higher than the seat
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
Looks like the bicycle is the main mode of transportation, as my roobaroo just shit the bed. Honestly, I love my car but the big end bearing just burned out at 157,000 miles...which means my engine is dead. 4,000 to replace with a warrantied engine. Not paying that kind of money to repair a car with that high of mileage, so I'm biking all summer and fall until I find another Subaru that I like.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »
DIY son, I bet you could get some information of NASIOC

jerrys_kids

« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »
^^^I swear that is the main reason why I don't ride my bike more in SF. I've never locked up my bike just cause all the stories I hear and I am not trying to let some asshole just steal my shit when I put almost $1500 into it. Mother fuckers are staight crazy out there though. Like there is no shame in jacking a bike in broad daylight.

You need to invest in a hefty U-lock.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »
DIY son, I bet you could get some information of NASIOC
I live in a small city apartment with zero access to tools or a space where I could work on the car. Most of the work would have to be done at night and I don't have an indoor spot with lighting to work on it.

steve

« Reply #548 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
Looks like the bicycle is the main mode of transportation, as my roobaroo just shit the bed. Honestly, I love my car but the big end bearing just burned out at 157,000 miles...which means my engine is dead. 4,000 to replace with a warrantied engine. Not paying that kind of money to repair a car with that high of mileage, so I'm biking all summer and fall until I find another Subaru that I like.

damn, man, we're on the same page here, both ride the same bike and my civic is dying on me, definitely won't pass inspection next week. All about the cross check! hahah good luck

frank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
my friend's mom is selling a bike she got when she graduated 8th grade! i don't know how old she is but he's 19 so it's atleast 20 years old. it looks pretty great though, brakes work fine, looks like the chain is brand new, and no rust. the only thing i saw that looked like it needed work was the tires. any ideas on what else i be aware of from an old bike? i'll probably have some pictures by tomorrow. i'm really stoked because i haven't had a bike in a couple years since my last one got stolen.

steve

« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »
my friend's mom is selling a bike she got when she graduated 8th grade! i don't know how old she is but he's 19 so it's atleast 20 years old. it looks pretty great though, brakes work fine, looks like the chain is brand new, and no rust. the only thing i saw that looked like it needed work was the tires. any ideas on what else i be aware of from an old bike? i'll probably have some pictures by tomorrow. i'm really stoked because i haven't had a bike in a couple years since my last one got stolen.

how do the gears shift? how much does she want for it? what company made the bike? and is it a girls bike?

post some pics (maybe of your friends mom too)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »

Went biking in SF the other day too. Need a new seat cause every time I go out, I feel like my ass takes a pounding (no homo).
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

frank

« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2012, 10:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how do the gears shift? how much does she want for it? what company made the bike? and is it a girls bike?

i didnt get a chance to test out the gears. she's selling it for 15 bucks though so i'm pretty sure if anything i'll atleast have a good foundation. i forget the brand, i'll have pictures tomorrow since it's raining..

frank

« Reply #553 on: June 29, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

bought this sucker and some new tires today! the back tire was too frickin hard to put back on though. i'll probably take it to the shop tomorrow because i'd also like to change the grips.

steve

« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »

Went biking in SF the other day too. Need a new seat cause every time I go out, I feel like my ass takes a pounding (no homo).

pista? you sir, have a beautiful bike. she looks fast.

as far as the seat goes, you'll get used to it, i hope... i shit blood and have an itchy ass from riding so often. so it goes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i didnt get a chance to test out the gears. she's selling it for 15 bucks though so i'm pretty sure if anything i'll atleast have a good foundation. i forget the brand, i'll have pictures tomorrow since it's raining..

as long as it's not a girls bike buy a flip flop wheel and have the options of a fixed or single speed bike. gears, unless you're touring, are overrated.   

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my trusty fuji special road racer, extremely reliable since i snagged it off of ebay about four years ago.?  i recently had the wheels trued and picked up some new toe straps, so i got all stoked on it again and decided to snap some photos.
[close]
solid colour match, haha. this is mine.
[close]
yes!?  i am so terribly close to starting a matze appreciation thread.
[close]
we'll probably never meet in real life, but I can imagine us hanging around. this is so sweet.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

as far as the seat goes, you'll get used to it, i hope... i shit blood and have an itchy ass from riding so often. so it goes.

Yup. 2011 Super Pista. No one really liked that color way for whatever reason but I got the frame for $600 on Craigslist. It's a great bike and aside from the frame, I wanted everything else to look mellow. In retrospect, I wish I went the geared route. Biking with a fixed gear is only so fun in SF. Even the mellow hills are a total pain in the butt.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

steve

« Reply #557 on: July 01, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
I was riding the fixie home, hammered, sometime this morning and my saddle fell off the seat post. I rode the 5 miles standing and holding the damn thing.

Anyone else find that after a lot of drinking and a decent ride home that the hang over doesn't come?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yup. 2011 Super Pista. No one really liked that color way for whatever reason but I got the frame for $600 on Craigslist. It's a great bike and aside from the frame, I wanted everything else to look mellow. In retrospect, I wish I went the geared route. Biking with a fixed gear is only so fun in SF. Even the mellow hills are a total pain in the butt.

yeah, I can see that. Your legs will get strong as fuck though. I do a 26 mile commute 4 days a week on the fixie, it's not loaded with hills but I can power up and down anything. I'm looking forward to riding in SF hopefully in August.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #558 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
do you really have no foot retention on that thing or am i seeing wrong?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: July 13, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »

Yeah, no foot retention. People always bug out but I do have a break and as a kid, I never rode with it on before.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #560 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
I was riding the fixie home, hammered, sometime this morning and my saddle fell off the seat post. I rode the 5 miles standing and holding the damn thing.

Anyone else find that after a lot of drinking and a decent ride home that the hang over doesn't come?

i'm sure it helps burn off some of the alcohol / sugar.  i find that if i get tanked and bike home it's a lot harder to bike.  biking on flat streets is no big deal (and more enjoyable) but going up hills i feel like i'm going to have a heart attack
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #561 on: July 14, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, no foot retention. People always bug out but I do have a break and as a kid, I never rode with it on before.

Pedaling is much more efficient when you can use your legs in the whole motion, but nothing is more embarrassing than stopping at a light and just toppling over because you forgot your feet are stuck, trust me ;)

I just think safety-wise it would be best to have two means of braking, but I know no one wants to put a rear brake on a fixie or a fixie-looking-single speed.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

steve

« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
I'm looking to build a new fixed gear. All I need is a wheel set. I'm not looking to go wild but I'd like something decent looking. I'm not sure what I want to do for color, if any other than alloy. I've been riding a set of Alix for the past couple years and I have been satisfied, they were free to boot. I'm not sure what companies make good wheels and what I should be paying. any tips would be great.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #563 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »
got some money from my parents to buy myself a new bike, decided to get a fixed gear. I'm trying to get it all black, maybe some colored grips. I'm new to the game, so feel free to tell me what's good about this set-up.
a leader frame and fork

some cheap espresso wheel set

something to sit on

and one of those bullhorn bars

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #564 on: July 14, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
My grampa gave me his old bike, an apollo mk1. Hasn't been ridden in at least 20-30 years, all i had to do was pump up the tires and its so smooth.I been riding a lot but also just got free gas for life so I find it a little hard to be as motivated to ride everywhere, but its so fun.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2535
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
also just got free gas for life

Do tell more...

Also, need to get a new city bike soonish, but just can't be fucked to trawl the classifieds or whatever.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
Not much to tell, my grandfather owns the company I work for, and will likely work for forever/take over.he gave me a gas card and said to use it all the time.better than a raise really.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2535
« Reply #567 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
Not bad. Still, hope you decide to ride the bike more...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #568 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
i would appreciate some input here. i have the chance to get this basically complete single-speed frame (without handlebar and seat) for 145 euros, i will check it out on the weekend. do you guys think this is a fair price? it seems rather fine to me, the tires are unused, the seller isnt really the single-speed guy as it seems.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #569 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
i would appreciate some input here. i have the chance to get this basically complete single-speed frame (without handlebar and seat) for 145 euros, i will check it out on the weekend. do you guys think this is a fair price? it seems rather fine to me, the tires are unused, the seller isnt really the single-speed guy as it seems.

Hard to say without knowing what the frame and the rest of the bits are.  Kind of like asking if a car is a good deal, but knowing nothing about it.  If you go see it, it fits you, and you're stoked, get it.