Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309165 times)

_UniversalTruth_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: bikes
« Reply #1530 on: June 27, 2020, 02:16:23 AM »
Next Tuesday I have a phone meeting in my bike shop considering a new build. The last time I checked I only saw there bikes with SRAM systems and I was wondering if a sram rival is any worse or better than a 105. my main concern is the durability I gotta say.

Don't you live in Hamburg? Just get a singlespeed oder fixed bike! ;-)
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

vindogg

« Reply #1531 on: June 27, 2020, 02:52:03 AM »
So I pulled the trigger at a local SF bike shop near Haight St called American Cyclery. They had the Bianchi Aria that has the Shamano Ultegra components and with disk brakes. I think retail is about $3200-$3400. They told me it was their demo bike used at bike shoes and they offered it to me for $2699. So I felt like I got a good deal since the bike is super clean still. I wonder why they even offered it so low considering the demand for bikes but I jumped on it and am hyped. Don't have any pedal clips or if I should go clipless but I am going on a bike run tomorrow morning to just get a feel of it.

Stoked for you, that's a really nice looking bike and I'm sure it will ride just as well!! I definitely wouldnt worry about the bike shows, in my experience they basically make you sign a waiver, that you'll buy the bike if you crash it haha. In my opinion of shifting, the 105-ultegra upgrade is the biggest jump you can make, given that dura-ace costs an arm and a leg but is really only a little lighter and performs way too similarly.

You could also talk to your mechanic about replacing your cassette with a durra ace one, and putting polymer coated gear cables in. After yours have run their natural course. (could be a year, could be longer) I have ultegra with that set up and I would struggle to tell the difference.

I'm sure your shop is helping you out with shoes but pedals wise I'd definitely go clipped in if I were you. It helps to ensure you engage in a 'complete' pedal stroke i.e you pull up and push down. It will also help you on longer rides because it's basically just one less thing to think about adjusting, when your foots clipped in, its gonna stay in the same spot which you can tweak to be as comfortable as you can be. Shimano systems are cheaper and to be frank the entry level pedals  are gonna feel the same as the most expensive pedals once your clipped in, it's just looks and weight. MTB cleats/pedals are an option. Although I would advise against them, if you are gonna ride mostly on the road because even once tightened completely they can teach your knees and ankles some bad habits.

Anyway glad I found this thread, it inspired me to make my bikes all nice and spotless again, I might even ride a road bike if the rain persists, cause I sure as hell ain't gonna undo the three hours i spent cleaning my mountain bike on my first ride back.

vindogg

« Reply #1532 on: June 27, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »
Next Tuesday I have a phone meeting in my bike shop considering a new build. The last time I checked I only saw there bikes with SRAM systems and I was wondering if a sram rival is any worse or better than a 105. my main concern is the durability I gotta say.

Uh oh... SRAM vs. Shimano

This is a debate that plagues bike workshops across the globe. The bottom line is they're both great, and if campagnolo didnt supply groupsets to a niche market of rich idiots, who think it somehow puts them in some elite club. Then those two brands would have a duopoly. All offence intended to campagnolo owners, you've made a grave mistake and you should've thought harder about which bike parts to buy...

105 is more durable, it will wear your cables down less because of how the cables are housed in the shifter. SRAM rival shifting is harder on your fingers, but gives a more crisp shift. 105 is easier to shift but slower and less crisp to shift. No matter how good.you are at tuning. This is due to shimano shifters pulling the cable just enough to shift the derailleur, whereas Sram systems pull the cable twice as much as the derailleur actually moves and then any extra movement is then dissipated by the shifter letting the cable go back the way it came. Which wears down cables just a fraction faster again. Sounds rather complex in writing but its not.

They use different shifting levers as well, I prefer shimano but srams double click works fine. Chain, crankset, chainrings and cassette are almost identical in those two models because rival and 105 sit in the same price bracket, they basically copy each other in terms of material/quality of finish.

Also consider the long vs short cage debate. Long cage means you can effectively run a larger range of gears, all the way from 11-32 or 34, maybe more, who knows, that's a really fucking small rollout. But having a long cage derailleur will mean your chain is longer and the jump between sprockets larger, which all in all means it will perform worse and it will be harder to tune.

I say go 105 if they have it, SRAM is perfectly good if they dont.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1533 on: June 27, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
Thanks man. I also had my eye on the 1x11 from SRAM, could be also an option. Reminds me of the situation that after 15 years of riding indys I turned back to venture. I really can’t feel that much difference.

@universaltruth: that’s very true, but a shifting system will make carrying 20kg of photogear a lil easier :)

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1534 on: June 27, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »
I have 1x11 SRAM Apex, which is a level lower even, and love it. More than enough range for everyday riding, and I never have to futz with it. Wouldn't consider a two-ring bike anymore unless I lived somewhere very mountainous. I personally don't think there is any real difference in durability between SRAM and Shimano and it's really a preference thing. I liked the double-tap shifting mechanism a lot more than having the entire brake lever move inward a la Shimano. Historically the SRAM rear derailleurs have much stiffer chain tension springs than Shimano resulting in less chain slapping around. Not sure if that is still the case, but that did influence me to switch way back when that was relevant.

vindogg

« Reply #1535 on: June 27, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
I have 1x11 SRAM Apex, which is a level lower even, and love it. More than enough range for everyday riding, and I never have to futz with it. Wouldn't consider a two-ring bike anymore unless I lived somewhere very mountainous. I personally don't think there is any real difference in durability between SRAM and Shimano and it's really a preference thing. I liked the double-tap shifting mechanism a lot more than having the entire brake lever move inward a la Shimano. Historically the SRAM rear derailleurs have much stiffer chain tension springs than Shimano resulting in less chain slapping around. Not sure if that is still the case, but that did influence me to switch way back when that was relevant.

I agree to all of this, 1x11 is the truth. In most cases the 2x11 gear system only actually has around 15 individual gear ratios. Which means out of 22 gears you can only notice the difference between 15 of them, especially if you run a compact cassette and chain ring (11-25, 50/34). The pure joy of never having to shift the front ring was enough for me to get SLX on my MTB. Chain slap wise, shimano invented a locking system so you can get more chain tension

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1536 on: June 29, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »
Made a cruiser out of a 21 year old mountain bike

https://imgur.com/a/fqB7HhZ

It’s a specialized hard rock. Pretty decent bikes for the time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:52:21 AM by GardenSkater77 »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1537 on: June 29, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »
Hit 20mi on the steamroller this morning and feel real good. I'm stoked because before last week, I'd pedaled probably 40mi in the past 5.5 years. Having a nice worn in brooks pampers this ass

I was cruising at 16mph for the first 9. turning into the headwind for the last 11 was rough, averaging something like 8mph. I live where the mountains meet ocean, so there's a lot of gnarly hills with the only lengthy flat stretches being along the bay or past meadows where there are no trees to block wind.

I figure on riding the fixed gear exclusively until August when i'll break out the crosscheck with racks and do a camping trip in the hills for a week or so. Any of you fools also like bike camping in the back country?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1538 on: June 29, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »

That looks like a fun jammer right there.

My extra cash had to go elsewhere unfortunately,and I didn't get to swoop up anything I really wanted. Luckily my neighbor upgraded, and is kicking down their road bike (older Schwinn I think), it needs a bit of work (a couple gears stick),but I'll be on the road faster compared to me wanting to make it a fixie.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1539 on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
I took the Bianchi for a ride with my buddy this past weekend. Did about 13 miles with ease around the city and onto the Bay Bridge. I am still riding like I am Cardiel with just a baseball hate and just shirt and shorts. I figure if any, I need a helmet and god damn bike shorts I guess since my ass is just always sore afterwards.

Any recommendations on a helmet and shorts? Is biking like the skate industry where I am supposed to be conscious of brands? I went to a local sport store and some short even range from $80 to $150.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1518
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1540 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:57 AM »
So what is your sport metric of choice? I'm guessing no one here is dedicated enough to warrant a power meter for training. AFAIK these are really only needed for serious competitors.

I use a sports watch and my only goal is to stress my heart no matter what I do and how far I ride. Personally, hours long rides on smooth pavement with a light areo bike don't seem all that appealing (seems kinda tedious). If I had the option, I'd ride smooth gravel forest roads forever, but those are hard to find.

I'm also not to keen on fast MTB descents, since I'd like to minimize serious injuries. So I've been riding my very-non-impressive hybrid bicycle, that I commute with, on mixed flat road and smaller gravel climbs, trying to maximize the time/strain ratio (more about adding vertical climbing meters than distance), targeting rides up to 2 hours.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1541 on: June 30, 2020, 04:44:44 AM »

Sick.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1542 on: June 30, 2020, 06:32:57 AM »
i ride an aero bike, a wahoo element cycling computer, paired with wahoo speed, cadence and a heart rate sensor. I ride 1.5-2 hrs 50-65 kms average ride. I usually ride 150-400 metres of climbing on a ride like that. I have an escarpment that I have to climb multiple times to get my elevation in. Road cycling might seem tedious but I find the time flies by, especially after you turn around with a nice tailwind.
I plan on getting a  power metre on my cranks over the winter. I don't really need it, but I would like to  have one more element of control.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1543 on: June 30, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »

So I fucked up.

I went out for a joy ride on the new bike last week, full-face helmet equipped, new cycling shoes and fresh pedals, the whole nine yards. I was intent on doing my most intensive riding and started the trip bombing some really heavy hills at 40+ mph. Within the first 2 miles is a really gnarly trouble section. It’s like a 30-40* grade of bit rubble on loose dusty silt, complete with a totally fucked washout square in the middle. I’ve been practicing my braking and so I got on them early when I started descending. I ended up going much faster than intended despite having both brakes held down and slipped out near the bottom of the hill, sliding from first, second, third base all the way to home.

Now I can’t ride and I’m gauzed all over trying to keep everything neosporin’d and clean. Can’t wait to get out again.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1544 on: June 30, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »

Any recommendations on a helmet and shorts? Is biking like the skate industry where I am supposed to be conscious of brands? I went to a local sport store and some short even range from $80 to $150.

Check out The Black Bibs, their stuff is really nice and accessible. A friend recently told me that Rapha is "like the Tapout of cycling gear" which I found pretty funny (and accurate). Check them out if you want but also keep in mind that they are owned by the heirs to the Walmart shit throne.

You also have the benefit of coming into cycling from the skateboarding world, so you can continue doing whatever you're doing and not giving a fuck what anyone else thinks. Just please signal properly and research up on proper etiquette so you don't potentially have other people eating shit around you. 

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1545 on: June 30, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Check out The Black Bibs, their stuff is really nice and accessible. A friend recently told me that Rapha is "like the Tapout of cycling gear" which I found pretty funny (and accurate). Check them out if you want but also keep in mind that they are owned by the heirs to the Walmart shit throne.

You also have the benefit of coming into cycling from the skateboarding world, so you can continue doing whatever you're doing and not giving a fuck what anyone else thinks. Just please signal properly and research up on proper etiquette so you don't potentially have other people eating shit around you.

Good point on the etiquette thing. I friend and to check me on a couple of things. We’re just riding next to each other talking and I didn’t realize I was hogging most of the road. Just those odd things I have to remember. I was even running red lights since it was the morning but I guess I am just asking for it.

Thanks for the recommendations on the shorts. I’ll check them out.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

vindogg

« Reply #1546 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:44 PM »
i ride an aero bike, a wahoo element cycling computer, paired with wahoo speed, cadence and a heart rate sensor. I ride 1.5-2 hrs 50-65 kms average ride. I usually ride 150-400 metres of climbing on a ride like that. I have an escarpment that I have to climb multiple times to get my elevation in. Road cycling might seem tedious but I find the time flies by, especially after you turn around with a nice tailwind.
I plan on getting a  power metre on my cranks over the winter. I don't really need it, but I would like to  have one more element of control.

I used a power meter until I stopped road cycling competitively. They are great and give you a lot of information, I must say it would seem somewhat pointless getting one to me, unless you have a goal in mind like improving your FTP (Maximum power for 1 hr) or a race. I would keep mine on my bike but unless I was riding intervals I would never display it on any of my screens. I had a Garmin 510 and I would display time of day and distance 90% of the time that was enough for me. I found that using those two metrics helped keep my mind off numbers and focused on the sensations of riding/my own fatigue levels. If I had to do interval training for 1 minute intervals and above, I would display, lap time and lap power only. Which sort of made me feel like more of a robot than a person. I had a coach but there are plenty of good books (some even online) that have tips on how to use a power meter.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1547 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:02 PM »

So I fucked up.

I went out for a joy ride on the new bike last week, full-face helmet equipped, new cycling shoes and fresh pedals, the whole nine yards. I was intent on doing my most intensive riding and started the trip bombing some really heavy hills at 40+ mph. Within the first 2 miles is a really gnarly trouble section. It’s like a 30-40* grade of bit rubble on loose dusty silt, complete with a totally fucked washout square in the middle. I’ve been practicing my braking and so I got on them early when I started descending. I ended up going much faster than intended despite having both brakes held down and slipped out near the bottom of the hill, sliding from first, second, third base all the way to home.

Now I can’t ride and I’m gauzed all over trying to keep everything neosporin’d and clean. Can’t wait to get out again.

pic was removed, but get well soon pal.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1548 on: July 01, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
Picked up the new rig this afternoon. 2021 Cinelli Zydeco

Distributor sent the shop the 2021 model which I wasn’t expecting. They updated the model a few days after I placed my order. Had a few upgrades from the 2020. Hydraulic brakes, better crankset and tire upgrade. Everything else is pretty much the same. There was a $450 price difference which the shop split with me since they weren’t expecting it either. I’m Loving it already.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1549 on: July 01, 2020, 07:36:05 PM »
Picked up the new rig this afternoon. 2021 Cinelli Zydeco

Distributor sent the shop the 2021 model which I wasn’t expecting. They updated the model a few days after I placed my order. Had a few upgrades from the 2020. Hydraulic brakes, better crankset and tire upgrade. Everything else is pretty much the same. There was a $450 price difference which the shop split with me since they weren’t expecting it either. I’m Loving it already.

Hell yes, such a sweet ride. Set it up tubeless and you're living the dream.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1550 on: July 01, 2020, 07:40:10 PM »
wowzers!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1551 on: July 01, 2020, 08:04:54 PM »
That’s a beaut.

Did a 22 mile bike ride today. Feels good to get out and get around far.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1552 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
That Aria looks so good. That and the Canyon Aeroroad are my on my "want" list - should my wife let me get a new bike.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1553 on: July 02, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
the bianchi and the cinelli are both sexy as fuck.
I went tubeless a few years ago and it wasn't for me, (2017) on my road bike. It wasn't for me.I think I rode with my psi too high.
I think I might try it out again, my current bike has tubeless ready wheel and I have come to realize I can ride 90-100 psi and it doesn't affect my speed.
what psi are you guys running on the road?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #1554 on: July 02, 2020, 05:52:43 AM »
90-100psi for me, too. (On 700x28c)
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1555 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:03 AM »
I run tubes on my road bike as well at 90-95psi, I know I can swap a tube in just a couple of minutes if I get a puncture, so it’s not worth the added mess of sealant goop sloshing around.

I think the real benefit of tubeless is avoiding pinch flats and punctures while bouncing around on trails. Ran 35s tubeless at ~50psi for a year without a problem, could’ve probably gone a little lower, definitely if I bumped up tire size or switched to 650b. Never had to use either, but I always carried a spare tube and on longer rides kept a can of Güp in the jersey pocket. Pressurized sealant that refills your tire and allegedly seals up most small punctures.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1556 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
the bianchi and the cinelli are both sexy as fuck.
I went tubeless a few years ago and it wasn't for me, (2017) on my road bike. It wasn't for me.I think I rode with my psi too high.
I think I might try it out again, my current bike has tubeless ready wheel and I have come to realize I can ride 90-100 psi and it doesn't affect my speed.
what psi are you guys running on the road?
700x25 at 110psi with tubes. I’ve been riding my bike a lot more than my skateboard this summer, and I’ve found out some muscles on my hips has loosened significantly and it makes me skate much looser than before so I’m beyond stoked.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1557 on: July 02, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Digged a bit through this thread but haven't found anyone with one. Anyone have a recommendation for a bike that has a board holder ? Chocolate has one but it's sold out and I'm not really feeling the look for that one too much.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1558 on: July 02, 2020, 10:45:26 AM »
Digged a bit through this thread but haven't found anyone with one. Anyone have a recommendation for a bike that has a board holder ? Chocolate has one but it's sold out and I'm not really feeling the look for that one too much.

Yea those were through Fairdale,and are sold out online,. I'm sure there are others out there on Amazon or ebay.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1559 on: July 02, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea those were through Fairdale,and are sold out online,. I'm sure there are others out there on Amazon or ebay.
Alright, thanks, I'll keep my eye out.