Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309169 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1518
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: bikes
« Reply #3300 on: June 18, 2023, 11:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
RIP Gino Mader.
[close]

RIP. Bicyclists dying doing what they love hits me hard. Life is short.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gino-mader-dies-after-tour-de-suisse-crash/

Yup, descending after a long climb on good roads really doesn't give you the feeling of the terrifying speeds you are traveling. One patch of gravel in a bend and you are toast. That's why I chose gravel/mtb - you get to feel the speed and the danger associated with it way more accurately. Also not obsessing over speed and other metrics helps keep you safe too.

RIP Gino

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3301 on: June 19, 2023, 08:42:09 AM »
Fairdale Express. Been through a lot with this bike. Has a frame bag and pannier bag since it's currently my main mode of transportation, but I also have a Fairdale skate rack that I took off for this ride. I really do want an upgrade though but there's so many options on the market.

Also kinda dumb question, but does anyone here wear goggles/eyewear that fully covers the eyes? I wear prescription glasses and lately I keep getting debris in my eyes while cycling.

this makes me miss my fairdale. but reality was it was too small for me. still was bittersweet to give it up. i think i had gotten it for $200 rack-less from someone who maybe rode it 5 times after buying it brand new.

good come sausage

switchfakie

« Reply #3302 on: June 19, 2023, 04:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Fairdale Express. Been through a lot with this bike. Has a frame bag and pannier bag since it's currently my main mode of transportation, but I also have a Fairdale skate rack that I took off for this ride. I really do want an upgrade though but there's so many options on the market.

Also kinda dumb question, but does anyone here wear goggles/eyewear that fully covers the eyes? I wear prescription glasses and lately I keep getting debris in my eyes while cycling.
[close]

this makes me miss my fairdale. but reality was it was too small for me. still was bittersweet to give it up. i think i had gotten it for $200 rack-less from someone who maybe rode it 5 times after buying it brand new.

love the seafoam, you dont see that often

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #3303 on: June 19, 2023, 07:31:13 PM »
i had a mongoose decade BMX that color when I was a kid.  i wish i had appreciated it more, it was a cool bike.  the Fairdale looks really fun

anyone here into indoor training?  i just picked up a used Kinetic trainer for my Felt road bike, and have been riding on Zwift the last couple days.  I haven't ridden the road bike in a while (shitty, dangerous roads here), but I'm having a lot of fun riding on Zwift in my spare room.  already decided to upgrade to a direct drive trainer. 

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mother Goose.

« Reply #3304 on: June 19, 2023, 07:57:10 PM »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3305 on: June 20, 2023, 04:37:49 AM »
i had a mongoose decade BMX that color when I was a kid.  i wish i had appreciated it more, it was a cool bike.  the Fairdale looks really fun

anyone here into indoor training?  i just picked up a used Kinetic trainer for my Felt road bike, and have been riding on Zwift the last couple days.  I haven't ridden the road bike in a while (shitty, dangerous roads here), but I'm having a lot of fun riding on Zwift in my spare room.  already decided to upgrade to a direct drive trainer.

Road Zwift a decent amount over the winter. I found the experience pretty good, and I didn’t lose interest as quick as I thought I would. I’d usually just watch something and ride around for an hour or two.

Next winter I’ll probably take more time to work on some training routine. I felt pretty good to start the season here, so if I put in more effort I’m sure I’ll reap the benefits. Depending on how that goes I might look into a direct drive as well but not first before trying to modify my current trainer to be more quiet.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #3306 on: June 21, 2023, 09:05:50 AM »
I keep getting a little envious on rides when an Ebike zooms past me.

I don’t want to go in whole hog but has anyone here done an Ebike conversion? Was thinking about getting an old hard tail mountain bike and a hub motor kit and making one of those no-frills setups the Chinese food delivery guys have.

I’ve got good mechanical aptitude but limited bike knowledge. It seems like the hub motors don’t come with gear cogs and I don’t know how to swap in a freewheel or cassette or whatever.

It may not be worth the effort but I just wanted something cheap for my kids and I to fool around on.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3307 on: June 21, 2023, 11:33:15 AM »
all the aftermarket kits are FWD which is a sick ass way to hospitalize yourself

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #3308 on: June 21, 2023, 12:58:07 PM »
I keep getting a little envious on rides when an Ebike zooms past me.

I don’t want to go in whole hog but has anyone here done an Ebike conversion? Was thinking about getting an old hard tail mountain bike and a hub motor kit and making one of those no-frills setups the Chinese food delivery guys have.

I’ve got good mechanical aptitude but limited bike knowledge. It seems like the hub motors don’t come with gear cogs and I don’t know how to swap in a freewheel or cassette or whatever.

It may not be worth the effort but I just wanted something cheap for my kids and I to fool around on.

Just make sure whatever kit you buy is well reviewed and safe because there’s a lot of shit quality eBike batteries out there causing fires

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3309 on: June 21, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »
E-Bike shop in NYC caught fire a few days ago. I believe the fires are from cheap lithium batteries. By the way, Congress is trying to get a bill passed for up to 30% tax credit on purchasing an E-Bike.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3310 on: June 22, 2023, 09:58:36 AM »
E-Bike shop in NYC caught fire a few days ago. I believe the fires are from cheap lithium batteries. By the way, Congress is trying to get a bill passed for up to 30% tax credit on purchasing an E-Bike.

My crank idea is that the Feds should run a "Bikes for Clunkers" program where they give you two free electric bicycles in exchange for a sufficiently old (and qualifying) ICE automobile.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #3311 on: June 22, 2023, 10:06:27 AM »
Seen a few E-bikes with license plates here in France. Apparently it could be the law soon as it's currently a grey area. From what I understand anything that is motorized and transports people need to be tagged and insured. Guess they will be getting tickets also. If any other French Pals are in this section please let me know if I got it wrong. If it stops the UberEATS cunts doing 40km/h on the footpath I'm all for it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3312 on: June 22, 2023, 10:16:08 AM »
Seen a few E-bikes with license plates here in France. Apparently it could be the law soon as it's currently a grey area. From what I understand anything that is motorized and transports people need to be tagged and insured. Guess they will be getting tickets also. If any other French Pals are in this section please let me know if I got it wrong. If it stops the UberEATS cunts doing 40km/h on the footpath I'm all for it.

One of the beautiful things about the bicycle and "urban cycling" is that there's basically no need for regulation because the speeds are so low and the risks incurred are almost exclusively to the operator, so when you have these overpowered and often illegal e-bikes which can do real harm, it does introduce a real "tragedy of the commons" sort of thing where someone will need to eventually step in and regulate them off of the streets.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #3313 on: June 22, 2023, 10:45:22 AM »
What are your thoughts on EBikes in bike lanes?

Personally, it irritates me.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3314 on: June 22, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
What are your thoughts on EBikes in bike lanes?

Personally, it irritates me.

i'm not anti e-bike, but i see people do the dumbest shit they could only do on an e-bike. often because they would be too old or honestly unfit to actually haul ass that way. they use their e-bikes like mopeds they can ride on bikelanes and sidewalks, and the older the user, the more it seems they ride it with some sort of suv-driver mentality. so they don't look left and right, sort of operating on this "i'm obviously fast as fuck boiii so gtfo of my way" mentality. i guess they have to eat shit or collide with someone until they get it. i also get cut off in weird ways way more by people on e-bikes. i have no idea what the deal is.

i think a lot of people that ride e-bikes in the city are just very incompetent riders. they ghostride, don't do any handsigns, will do hardstops without thinking if anyones following, sometimes overtake irrationally only to slow down to a crawl when they are in front of you. most of them are 60 plus. i sometimes think that these people haven't biked in traffic a lot, but maybe started now with this electric bike that makes it easier. the other big group on e-bikes is food messengers, but these don't really cause any problems. there are also a lot of people on regular bikes doing bullshit of course.

e-bikes might be a bit much to handle for the demographic that buys them here. the boomer age types who ride those bikes here mostly ride it with a boomer attitude. another favorite of mine is the ghostriding dad/mom with kids, suiciding against the correct direction of the b-lane, kids in the front, panic in the kids eyes, absolute aggression in parent eyes. every parent doing this can not be fucked with as they stare down the bike lane like fucking kratos.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3315 on: June 25, 2023, 11:42:08 AM »
Anyone ever have trouble removing a cassette from a mountain bike or other? I was cranking the wrench so hard I broke my chain whip. I just sprayed grease all around the area but w/o a chain whip I am done for the day.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

BTW—The bike is 24 years old.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3316 on: June 25, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »
Anyone ever have trouble removing a cassette from a mountain bike or other? I was cranking the wrench so hard I broke my chain whip. I just sprayed grease all around the area but w/o a chain whip I am done for the day.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I definitely encountered a few stuck lockrings in my time. Usually I ended up using a vise for leverage, or maybe installing the lockring tool on an impact driver and going to town.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3317 on: June 25, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »

Any suggestions? Thanks.

yeah, i’ve had to remove some very stubborn cassettes. i can usually get them with some leverage like a pipe or breaker bar. if you have a vise, clamp the cassette removal tool and spin the wheel around on top of it.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3318 on: June 25, 2023, 02:39:57 PM »

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yeah, just the other week. This method finally did the trick, after that damn thing almost drove me crazy.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3319 on: June 25, 2023, 04:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Any suggestions? Thanks.

[close]

Yeah, just the other week. This method finally did the trick, after that damn thing almost drove me crazy.

@manysnakes @apport thanks

@Skibb

This person doesn’t use a chain whip. Is that because it’s a freewheel and not a cassette?

If I don’t use a chain whip the cassette will just spin.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3320 on: June 25, 2023, 06:05:55 PM »
That guy is expressly removing a freewheel and not a cassette. Tbh if I have something really stuck like this today, I just take it to the shop and let them handle it. Most mechanics want the challenge, and when I was working in the field I rarely ended up charging anyone for a cassette removal, or if I did it was $5-10.

It’s a bit different for me because I’ll be like “hey guys, this is fucked. Help me get it off.” I understand that not everyone did the demo work on their local bike shop but I still think they’ll set you straight for cheap.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3321 on: June 25, 2023, 06:34:33 PM »
That guy is expressly removing a freewheel and not a cassette. Tbh if I have something really stuck like this today, I just take it to the shop and let them handle it. Most mechanics want the challenge, and when I was working in the field I rarely ended up charging anyone for a cassette removal, or if I did it was $5-10.

It’s a bit different for me because I’ll be like “hey guys, this is fucked. Help me get it off.” I understand that not everyone did the demo work on their local bike shop but I still think they’ll set you straight for cheap.

I have a relationship with the bike shop owner in town. Bought my son’s bike there. I can drop the wheel off cause he’s super busy right now. I think that’s the move. My other idea was just to buy a new rear wheel. I’m just making a single speed 26” mountain bike out of an old Specialized Rockhopper.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3322 on: June 25, 2023, 11:57:09 PM »
That guy is expressly removing a freewheel and not a cassette.

Oops, duh. Never mind me.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #3323 on: June 27, 2023, 07:33:22 AM »
picked up this Cannondale H300 caad2(maybe 99 or 2000?) for $115 yesterday

stoked because it’s in great condition. Owner said it was kept in the garage and barely used. All I have is a road bike so looking forward to having something that’s a little more versatile for everyday riding

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3324 on: June 27, 2023, 09:51:28 AM »
picked up this Cannondale H300 caad2(maybe 99 or 2000?) for $115 yesterday

stoked because it’s in great condition. Owner said it was kept in the garage and barely used. All I have is a road bike so looking forward to having something that’s a little more versatile for everyday riding

You are probably right. Mine is 99’ and had the same shock absorbering seat post. I think your headset is the same as mine. I like it because of all the configurations it offers.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3325 on: June 27, 2023, 03:04:30 PM »
I need to sell my Crust. Shit's tight right now and it's the least utilitarian bike I have so it can go. Selling a bike on Craigslist is a fucking nightmare though, especially a custom one that's $$$$. I might just take the hit and see what a reseller would give me, like the pro's closet.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3326 on: June 27, 2023, 03:20:57 PM »
I need to sell my Crust. Shit's tight right now and it's the least utilitarian bike I have so it can go. Selling a bike on Craigslist is a fucking nightmare though, especially a custom one that's $$$$. I might just take the hit and see what a reseller would give me, like the pro's closet.

Try Facebook marketplace. You’ll probably do better there than on Craigslist.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3327 on: June 27, 2023, 03:44:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try Facebook marketplace. You’ll probably do better there than on Craigslist.

Right on, thanks. I don't know how that works, but I'll see if my wife can facilitate that. Might see what the market on pinkbike looks like too.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3328 on: June 27, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »

Man people are crazy about Crust and everything they make usually sells out almost immediately. I guess it depends on your region but it seems like there’d be decent demand for it.

Drangus

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3329 on: June 27, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »

TPC is not going to give you the amount of what it can actually go for, but they will give it to you quickly.

If you have the time I would try another option. basically save TPC for a last resort if you need money in a day or two. They undercut my homie for a nice hardtail frameset by so much, it was almost an insult. But that is their business model I guess.