Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128770 times)

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1080 on: February 26, 2023, 03:00:56 PM »
Stage 4s are not 55mm tall.

I'm looking at them right now and it's same height as AF1

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1081 on: February 27, 2023, 05:02:26 AM »
So do Stage IVs just feel like Aces to call out Ace for ripping off the IV and hopefully get some sales back?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #1082 on: February 27, 2023, 05:56:38 AM »
Not quite. Ace still turn better IMO. Stage 4s feel weird on center, especially if you ride them with softer bushings than stock.

Ace have that magical quality whereby even when loose they feel comfortable on center. If anything these Stage 4s reissues confirmed to me that Shrewgy and Joey T really know their shit and tapped into some pretty flawless geometry.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2023, 05:56:53 AM »
So do Stage IVs just feel like Aces to call out Ace for ripping off the IV and hopefully get some sales back?

Ofcourse it is.

If Independent wanted to please fans they would bring back the Stage 7.

ACE has you guys all worked up, bringing back a 40 year old truck just to say "TuRns BetTer ThEn ANY IMITATION"
Not even a year after the AF1 came out.

IpathCats

« Reply #1084 on: February 27, 2023, 06:09:01 AM »
Expand Quote

I think there is an error with the weight on the 149 forged hollow, I weighted mine and they are 365 grms not 358. Thoughts?
[close]

Think less, skate more.

After the right amount of feeble and smithgrinds, your 149s will also weigh 358 grams. Trust the process.

no idea, i dont have two new pairs to weigh. this info is submitted by other users so it could be wrong, but its the best we've got right now.

Stage 4s are not 55mm tall.

I'm looking at them right now and it's same height as AF1

will add this now.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #1085 on: February 27, 2023, 06:37:55 AM »
Not quite. Ace still turn better IMO. Stage 4s feel weird on center, especially if you ride them with softer bushings than stock.

Ace have that magical quality whereby even when loose they feel comfortable on center. If anything these Stage 4s reissues confirmed to me that Shrewgy and Joey T really know their shit and tapped into some pretty flawless geometry.

This is exactly what I needed to hear.
Thank you!
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #1086 on: February 27, 2023, 08:05:46 AM »
Welp, I'm tired of reading reviews saying one or the other so I picked up some 146's and will test them tomorrow stock bushings and a flat top Bones washer. I always swap it for the cupped top washer no matter what trucks I'm riding.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1087 on: February 27, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
Those bushings will firm up real quick next time you skate them.

Indeed. Got to put in some more time on them and they did firm up pretty significantly.

I'm honestly shocked they're going to make not one, but two harder duro aftermarkets and not a single softer one. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the stocks but also recognize that people who want something really loose are not going to be into it. Or maybe they really did engineer these for fat old heads?

Overall though, I am a fan. The pop feel is exactly what I like, they turning radius is amazing, and they grind well/are meatier than they appear in photos.

I feel a little weird abandoning my nicely grooved stage 11s. Might put those back on and save these?

IpathCats

« Reply #1088 on: February 27, 2023, 12:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Those bushings will firm up real quick next time you skate them.
[close]

Indeed. Got to put in some more time on them and they did firm up pretty significantly.

I'm honestly shocked they're going to make not one, but two harder duro aftermarkets and not a single softer one. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the stocks but also recognize that people who want something really loose are not going to be into it. Or maybe they really did engineer these for fat old heads?

Overall though, I am a fan. The pop feel is exactly what I like, they turning radius is amazing, and they grind well/are meatier than they appear in photos.

I feel a little weird abandoning my nicely grooved stage 11s. Might put those back on and save these?

Would be hilarious if indy just outright admitted that

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #1089 on: February 27, 2023, 02:44:17 PM »

you realize, the stage 4 reissue probably took more than a year of work from start to finish, to release? indy was most likely planning this before anyone but ace knew there was an af1 coming.

elegant_fox

« Reply #1090 on: February 27, 2023, 04:16:05 PM »
Are the washers that come with the aftermarket Independent bushings different than what the trucks ship with?

I was setting up my dad's board (Indy 159 standards - stage 11) and the bushings kept slipping out of their washers, leaving the trucks heeled over to one side. We tried a set of 94a and 90a and both had this slipping.

We've been trying a few different bushing duros and the washers have changed around. I eventually found the set of washers the truck originally came with and they had a deeper cup to the washer than what the aftermarket kit came with.

Here's an after when we swapped in the new bushings and the OG washers:

After swapping, the board rode normally and had good return to center. The bushings in the kit would not return to center since they slipped out of the washer. This sounds like a crazy conspiracy and I've been comparing the other Indy sets I have around. It seems like the original washers from my stage 10 139s are also a little thicker and have more cup to them. There seems to be a loose factory tolerance overall though and some sets are thinner, less cupping than others.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1091 on: February 27, 2023, 05:44:46 PM »
Never use the washers in the replacement bushing pack this always happens.

BL0B

« Reply #1092 on: February 27, 2023, 06:24:47 PM »
you've those trucks cranked down so that's not helping any. i've had the bottoms slip out like that on aftermarkets, never the tops. it went away on all of mine after a day or two.

if you can, set up new trucks and cruise them around for a couple days before you need to skate them, tighten them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:41:20 PM by BL0B »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1093 on: February 27, 2023, 07:08:20 PM »
Above all……what a good son!  Setting up a Christmas complete for dad? 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1094 on: February 27, 2023, 08:13:51 PM »

As usual, opposite for me.

I prefer the aftermarket’s because they are snugger/shallower than the stocks and have never had an issue like the poster above (but I nut flush not go three threads deep on soft bushings).

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1095 on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:32 PM »
Above all……what a good son!  Setting up a Christmas complete for dad?

My dad kneed me in the leg after I called him a noisey c*nt and then I called him weak for not controlling his emotions. I got a sore leg now, he's a big, fat bully and he can'y even ollie.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1096 on: February 27, 2023, 09:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As usual, opposite for me.

I prefer the aftermarket’s because they are snugger/shallower than the stocks and have never had an issue like the poster above (but I nut flush not go three threads deep on soft bushings).

I run 1 thread showing and the top splooges often for me. I do know that at least my local shop recommends people not use the aftermarket washers either. Maybe they're different now and this is an old news issue.

I do have a stubborn friend that cranks oranges but this doesn't happen. It does look heinous and he destroys the bushings way sooner than if he was riding the blacks he's supposed to.

On a side note I checked out Leo Romero's setup video after seeing his new part. Aftermarket yellows or Bones hards cranked to hell. The opposite of Max Palmer.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #1097 on: February 27, 2023, 11:42:59 PM »

Finally got them.

Independent stage 11 129 low

Shot of the low bushings, a much slimmer top bushing.

I weighed them in at 353grams each, very nice.  8)

What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

BL0B

« Reply #1098 on: February 28, 2023, 12:18:03 AM »
On a side note I checked out Leo Romero's setup video after seeing his new part. Aftermarket yellows or Bones hards cranked to hell. The opposite of Max Palmer.

i'm gonna have to re-watch his new part, that's crazy!

Jogging José

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1099 on: February 28, 2023, 01:30:34 AM »

Finally got them.

Do you happen to know the height of the bushings on the lows? I have a set of Lows that need bushings and since I can‘t find any replacements in Europe I‘ll probably have to shave down some standards…

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #1100 on: February 28, 2023, 01:41:32 AM »
That would be tricky and take a little time. It's not undoable but you might be sanding them down quite a lot. I would find another brand of low bushings closer you where you are or try some bones bushings. I am interested to see if you are successful if you try to do it. I'm just going to skate these as is without touching them in any way. I will make sure to give my thoughts and get back to you.

Alternatively you could buy the bullet and get these: https://www.chutingstar.com/independent-trucks-low-conical-cushions-92a-medium-hard-blue

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1101 on: February 28, 2023, 04:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally got them.

hot of the low bushings, a much slimmer top bushing.

[close]

Do you happen to know the height of the bushings on the lows? I have a set of Lows that need bushings and since I can‘t find any replacements in Europe I‘ll probably have to shave down some standards…

Yeah any of those bushings with "low" in the title will fit better than regular height bushings, but you can always cut the tops down as well from any other stock or aftermarket bushings.

Funny that there are still some of those bushings around, but they sure do work a treat for making normal trucks kingpin nut sit lower as well.

In the Indy low trucks I have, the bottom bushing is the same as the standard, just the top bushing is lower.

Even just flick through these pics and I have the bushings shown in the sixth frame.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

« Reply #1102 on: February 28, 2023, 05:23:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you realize, the stage 4 reissue probably took more than a year of work from start to finish, to release? indy was most likely planning this before anyone but ace knew there was an af1 coming.

Do you realize Joey Tershay worked for Indy and told them they should reissue those trucks 15 years ago before ACE was even a company?

Crazy they decided to bring those trucks back right?

And not the STAGE 7 that people actually want

IpathCats

« Reply #1103 on: February 28, 2023, 05:51:05 AM »

Finally got them.

dang, havent seen these in a while.

Whats the height difference between these and the mids?

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1104 on: February 28, 2023, 06:43:23 AM »
Whats the height difference between these and the mids?
[/quote]If mids are 52mm I'm guessing these are... 50mm??

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1105 on: February 28, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
I liked Mids, but not the IKP issues.

Forged Hollows are too light of pop for me on lots of mellower decks, but otherwise nice

Standards for me are cool, but sometimes a bit clunky and my nollie ghost pop is real.

So if stage IV is same WB as standards more or less, 53ish height, and a nice standard hefty pop to em, these are the ones for me right?!?!?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1106 on: February 28, 2023, 07:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you realize Joey Tershay worked for Indy and told them they should reissue those trucks 15 years ago before ACE was even a company?

I don't think the people that want Stage 7 actually remember them for what they were. The KP clearance wasn't good, they had a super hefty pop feel, and they were generally an ugly stage. I'm sure a reissue wouldn't have the horrible axle slip either. Ben D did a video on em and details a lot of their shortcomings. They weren't any more turn-y than stage IX, it's just some weird nostalgia or pro neurosis.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #1107 on: February 28, 2023, 08:05:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't think the people that want Stage 7 actually remember them for what they were. The KP clearance wasn't good, they had a super hefty pop feel, and they were generally an ugly stage. I'm sure a reissue wouldn't have the horrible axle slip either. Ben D did a video on em and details a lot of their shortcomings. They weren't any more turn-y than stage IX, it's just some weird nostalgia or pro neurosis.

IMO nobody really wants any of these things. Obviously this is pure speculation at this point, but I think that, after the initial rush of skate nerds buying something shiny and new, no one will really care about Stage IV Indys, because once again the fundamental misunderstanding here is that skaters are actively looking for a truck which skates like an Independent Stage III/IV, when in fact they are just looking to skate a brand which is not Independent.

No matter what, I think it's safe to say that any further reissues will be determined by the success of the Stage IVs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1108 on: February 28, 2023, 08:17:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

One nice thing about the older stages is the grind.  The aluminum is a different alloy and they push through a bit nicer. 

That said, I still skate my stage 11s way more often. I skated my stage 6 so infrequently that I gave them to my daughter's friend.  I have to remember that when I keep getting tempted by the stage 4s that aren't even going to have the benefit of the old alloy grind.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #1109 on: February 28, 2023, 08:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Stage 7 did turn better than 9s. They really fucked up with 9s.

I think Indy could take the best attributes of 5 thru 7 and come up with a good truck but really the stage 11 is just that. The stage 4 was really the right one to reissue as it was the last truck before the hollow body hanger came out and they made enough improvements to make it work for modern skateboarding.