Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 136017 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1050 on: February 23, 2023, 01:57:08 PM »
That’s the point. Indy moved on, and away from its old geometry. Is it really ‘ripping off’ someone if they haven’t put out a certain product in 20 years (and had zero intention to)?

Whereas AFTER Ace got popular, THEN Indy decides to rerelease the second-closest design?

A case could be made for both ripping each other off (except that ACE bought the patent for stage III, so Indy can’t make it anymore)
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #1051 on: February 23, 2023, 02:02:50 PM »
That’s the point. Indy moved on, and away from its old geometry. Is it really ‘ripping off’ someone if they haven’t put out a certain product in 20 years (and had zero intention to)?

Whereas AFTER Ace got popular, THEN Indy decides to rerelease the second-closest design?

A case could be made for both ripping each other off (except that ACE bought the patent for stage III, so Indy can’t make it anymore)

are you an ace fanboi by chance?

manysnakes

« Reply #1052 on: February 23, 2023, 02:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
So I’m confused, is Ace ripping off Indy?
Or is Indy ripping off Ace at this point?
[close]

how can indy be ripping off ace? i had these or stage 3's on my 1st board, ace didn't come along for 30ish more years.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1053 on: February 23, 2023, 02:25:41 PM »
"actually Indy isn't copying Ace"

*Releases Stage IV Truck exactly one year after AF1 comes out*

"NoTHiNg TuRns LikE an InDy"

??? ??? ???

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2316
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1054 on: February 23, 2023, 03:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you an ace fanboi by chance?
NO, my dude!
You read his posts?
He is a certified && Stan, but he’s just asking reasonable questions here, like which came first: the chicken or the egg?
Let @cucktard fan out on Powell. He ain’t hurting’ nobody.
From my point of view, this Ace/Indy thing is akin to that mythical snake that eats itself, the Ouroboros, and frankly Mr. Shankly, I love it!
Chomp, chomp, chomp.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1055 on: February 23, 2023, 03:21:17 PM »
Quick review of stage 4 (146)

Coming off of Ace classic 44’s.

First week of skating on the stage 4 and my impressions are that they are heavier than what I’m used to. The weight feels similar to Indy standard and the wheelbase and how it affects the pop feels similar to Ace classic. I haven’t measured of weighed either but that’s how it feels to me.

The stock bushings are hard, so I switched out the top bushing for a softer one from my 109’s. Riding them where they are just shy of wobbly loose, the turn feels very similar to Ace classic.

Grind feels fine, similar to Ace af1. Metal is harder than ace classics.

Overall, they feel like a harder, heavier Ace classic. Other than that, I like the look of them.

Will update once I put more wear on them and experiment with different bushing set ups.

WideFeet

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1056 on: February 23, 2023, 03:46:30 PM »
Stage 4’s are a reissue truck. Reissue boards are extremely popular. Why not reissue trucks?

My honest opinion is that Indy was probably getting sick of hearing people compare their trucks to a copy of their trucks, so they said,”Fuck it” and put out the Stage 4 to compete.

Pretty good mask over saying it’s just a reissue and doing the 6 hole baseplates on all the sizes. But if these take off and sell really well, I guarantee there will be hollows, forged, and pro models in the future. NHS is about their money

passthegeritol

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1057 on: February 23, 2023, 04:34:03 PM »
Ace trucks were definitely a child of early Indy’s.  Let’s not forget the “inspiration” Indy borrowed from Bennett Trucks for their earliest design iterations too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1058 on: February 23, 2023, 05:44:05 PM »

First week of skating on the stage 4 and my impressions are that they are heavier than what I’m used to. The weight feels similar to Indy standard and the wheelbase and how it affects the pop feels similar to Ace classic. I haven’t measured of weighed either but that’s how it feels to me.

The stock bushings are hard, so I switched out the top bushing for a softer one from my 109’s. Riding them where they are just shy of wobbly loose, the turn feels very similar to Ace classic.

Overall, they feel like a harder, heavier Ace classic. Other than that, I like the look of them.

Will update once I put more wear on them and experiment with different bushing set ups.

I don't know if or when we will see them here in Australia, but I am totally thinking about cutting the top bushing down a bit, which seems like it would solve most of the "bushings are just a bit too hard" information I am seeing.

Not a worry either way, but at least for people who need a stiffer ride, they should work well, or for others, taking a mm off the top bushing should give it a whole lot more room to move, as I had done with a lot of stock truck bushings for lightweights or kids over the years.

Either way, I am not jumping out of my seat to get a set, but I think it would be interesting to set a pair up and have a roll, if nothing more than just to see for myself.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #1059 on: February 23, 2023, 05:51:54 PM »
Not to get up in anyone’s personals, but I’d be curious to know the weight of anyone saying the bushings are too hard.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1060 on: February 23, 2023, 06:09:17 PM »
Everyone just wanted a stage 7 reissue, I don’t think I’ll cop the 4s because the bushings seem way too specific and aftermarket ones won’t be released for another 3 or so months. I haven’t ridden indies in a long time and was actually contemplating the 4s, but will probably just cop some stage 11 hollows and cal it a day!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 895
« Reply #1061 on: February 23, 2023, 06:12:03 PM »
Not to get up in anyone’s personals, but I’d be curious to know the weight of anyone saying the bushings are too hard.

I'm 200lbs but it has been pretty cold when I've been using them... Still... they don't feel like 90a to me.

I just put Ace top bushings in them but now they feel weirdly unstable on center. With Ace, I can just keep stock bushings and call it good.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
« Reply #1062 on: February 23, 2023, 06:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm 200lbs but it has been pretty cold when I've been using them... Still... they don't feel like 90a to me.

I just put Ace top bushings in them but now they feel weirdly unstable on center. With Ace, I can just keep stock bushings and call it good.

Thanks for the info! I hover around 180, so I’m interested in seeing how they’ll feel for me. I’m dying to get out there to test them out.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1063 on: February 23, 2023, 07:09:13 PM »

I’m about 170 at the moment

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1064 on: February 23, 2023, 07:10:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know if or when we will see them here in Australia, but I am totally thinking about cutting the top bushing down a bit, which seems like it would solve most of the "bushings are just a bit too hard" information I am seeing.

Not a worry either way, but at least for people who need a stiffer ride, they should work well, or for others, taking a mm off the top bushing should give it a whole lot more room to move, as I had done with a lot of stock truck bushings for lightweights or kids over the years.

Either way, I am not jumping out of my seat to get a set, but I think it would be interesting to set a pair up and have a roll, if nothing more than just to see for myself.

Yeah, that’s why I used the 109 top. They are a bit shorter and softer than the stock bushings. I’m planning on trying ace bushings in them next to see what the result is like

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #1065 on: February 23, 2023, 09:41:50 PM »

Thanks for this. Guess I'm sticking to Ace classics

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -84
« Reply #1066 on: February 24, 2023, 06:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All ace riders are Indy riders too.

Not all Indy riders are ace riders though.

Sort of one of those square vs rectangle things.
[close]

All Indy riders change there pivot cups, bushings/cut bushings, switch out baseplate for inverted kingpin then check to see if hanger is compatible with forged plates. if you need all that to make the truck work maybe it's you.

ACE mfs just ride the truck stock.
[close]
Found the mf who can't nollieflip
[close]

This guy thinks Nollie flips are hard.
Mostly the presumption that die hard acers aren't flipping their board nollie or switch much, therein not needing to tinker to find preference for different uses.

IpathCats

« Reply #1067 on: February 24, 2023, 07:48:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All ace riders are Indy riders too.

Not all Indy riders are ace riders though.

Sort of one of those square vs rectangle things.
[close]

All Indy riders change there pivot cups, bushings/cut bushings, switch out baseplate for inverted kingpin then check to see if hanger is compatible with forged plates. if you need all that to make the truck work maybe it's you.

ACE mfs just ride the truck stock.
[close]
Found the mf who can't nollieflip
[close]

This guy thinks Nollie flips are hard.
[close]
Mostly the presumption that die hard acers aren't flipping their board nollie or switch much, therein not needing to tinker to find preference for different uses.

Plenty of ace guys tinker too, but I get your point.

With all of the Indy options, tinkering can kinda get you any type of truck you want.

But most ace guys are just looking for a super surfy, ace like truck.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1068 on: February 24, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »
As someone who surfs nearly as much as he skates I never understood what is meant by a 'surfy' truck.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1069 on: February 24, 2023, 11:16:46 AM »
I caved and got a set of Stage IV 151s.

I went to the shop on my lunch break and the folks working were kind enough to let measure the height on them and a set of AF1 60s before purchasing (without making fun of me to my face). As someone mentioned a few pages ago, the Stage IVs are not 55mm tall but are just about an average of 53.5mm like the AF1s.

Just pushing back from he shop and skating a little bit of flat, I really like the stock bushings. With Indy, I typically swap the stocks out for blue barrel or Ace low but these are good as-is. Looking forward to skating some curbs on them tomorrow. I'll also measure the KP angle and all that stuff.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1070 on: February 24, 2023, 11:28:24 AM »
Those bushings will firm up real quick next time you skate them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #1071 on: February 24, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »

I went to the shop on my lunch break and the folks working were kind enough to let measure the height on them and a set of AF1 60s before purchasing (without making fun of me to my face). As someone mentioned a few pages ago, the Stage IVs are not 55mm tall but are just about an average of 53.5mm like the AF1s.

Just pushing back from he shop and skating a little bit of flat, I really like the stock bushings. With Indy, I typically swap the stocks out for blue barrel or Ace low but these are good as-is. Looking forward to skating some curbs on them tomorrow. I'll also measure the KP angle and all that stuff.

This truck seemed kinda made for what you’ve described as enjoying.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #1072 on: February 25, 2023, 04:41:08 PM »
Got some 146s.
The hanger looks cool but there is some noticeable heft to them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #1073 on: February 25, 2023, 07:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I loved: ‘Without making fun of me to my face’…the ideal skateshop scenario. I don’t live close to a shop, and when I do shop for gear, I can be a little wild eyed, mumbling about wb and shit, 8-10 years ago…not rad, when I know I’m the kook, and I can’t stop.
Measuring truck height seems normal to me. I’ve gone thru some complicated decision making when it comes to decks and shoe sizing, that had to look painful.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #1074 on: February 25, 2023, 09:14:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I loved: ‘Without making fun of me to my face’…the ideal skateshop scenario. I don’t live close to a shop, and when I do shop for gear, I can be a little wild eyed, mumbling about wb and shit, 8-10 years ago…not rad, when I know I’m the kook, and I can’t stop.
Measuring truck height seems normal to me. I’ve gone thru some complicated decision making when it comes to decks and shoe sizing, that had to look painful.

I definitely had to try really hard not to over-explain myself and at least once said, "I'm really sorry for being such a punisher."

IpathCats

« Reply #1075 on: February 26, 2023, 06:18:01 AM »
As someone who surfs nearly as much as he skates I never understood what is meant by a 'surfy' truck.

A way for people who don't surf to describe something that has a deep, progressive turn

elegant_fox

« Reply #1076 on: February 26, 2023, 06:29:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A way for people who don't surf to describe something that has a deep, progressive turn

That makes sense, I tried someones setup at the park with those Carver surfskate trucks and those really feel like a "surfy" tuck. Not really something I'd want to really spend a lot of time on outside of the novelty factor.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1077 on: February 26, 2023, 07:21:59 AM »

Pretty sure it means that your pivot cups are blown out, but the people saying surfy dont know that.

Cesarr4e

• Rep: 10
  • Cash money vagrant
« Reply #1078 on: February 26, 2023, 12:19:13 PM »
Whether you're a die hard stage 7 guy, or a self loathing Indy rider that keeps coming back no matter what other trucks you try, this is the place to discuss independent trucks. We have a thread for every other brand. Might as well have one for the most popular brand, so we can stop separating all of the Indy info. The pictures of the new ones being designed currently are what motivated me to make this thread. Please post any new info on them in here. Leave the truck set ups thread for discussions on fucking with your trucks.

EDIT: Adding additional Indy info/threads below. DM me if you have anything that should go here.

Weight:
144 Forged Hollow: 359g
144 Ti: 333g

149 Mid - 409g
149 Standard - 394g
149 Mid Hollow - 392g
149 Mid Hollow Forged - 379g
149 Hollow - 369g
149 Hollow Forged - 358g
149 TI - 340g

Height:
Standard plates 55mm
Forged plates 53.5mm
Mids 52mm
Forged mids 50.5mm

Bushing specs: These are the rough listed measurements, they vary by about .2 - .3 mm
Top: 10 mm
Bottom: 13 mm

Stage 4 bushings
Bottom: 14mm
Top: 12mm

Wheelbase Effect:
reg height cast plates + 3.00"
forged plates +3.1875

Indy stage 4 reissues on NHS site
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-4-polished-skateboard-trucks-independent?variant=43310976401565

Jenkem article on the cult following of Indys
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

Indy Mid (Mindy) thread
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106832.0

Thread on Skull and Bones about the differences between Indy stages
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132955&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=independent&start=0

Thread on Indy pivot cups
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106369.0

Thread on Indy inverted Kingpin baseplate issue
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118450.0

I think there is an error with the weight on the 149 forged hollow, I weighted mine and they are 365 grms not 358. Thoughts?
Cash money vagrant

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2023, 02:47:44 PM »

I think there is an error with the weight on the 149 forged hollow, I weighted mine and they are 365 grms not 358. Thoughts?

Think less, skate more.

After the right amount of feeble and smithgrinds, your 149s will also weigh 358 grams. Trust the process.