Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 128770 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • sup dog
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #1710 on: October 27, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »
Went skating today… the bushings got torn up, and I know why: when the truck turns all the way, the hanger is pinching the top bushing up against the top washer and  cutting the top bushing.

Never knew that’s why they got “blown out”.

Learned something new, and now I need to put new bushing in.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1711 on: October 27, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »
Went skating today… the bushings got torn up, and I know why: when the truck turns all the way, the hanger is pinching the top bushing up against the top washer and  cutting the top bushing.

I feel like any bushings might have a greater chance of blowing out if they are not broken in nicely.

More so if you put new trucks or new bushings on, then just go skate as usual, there is a good chance they will blow out way faster, than if you took it very easy for the first few sessions, or just did things that didn't involve tightening them down much, heavy leans to either side and just had more of a cruiser type roll around, if that makes sense?

My first session or two on new bushings is usually on a very gentle mini ramp or carpark roll around, just getting them more worn in and not doing anything much that would put a lot of pressure on either side to cut or compress them too much.

Stock bushings are very soft and take a bit to firm up, especially the new Indy bushings, more so than the older ones, so often people will tighten them down some to start with, which then makes them cut into the top sides way more quickly.

Funny thing is I have kept a set of very chopped bushings from someone else, put them on a cruiser board and they still work perfectly well, although they are very loose with minimal sides on them.

Depending on what you prefer, maybe go for the harder blue 92 duro bushings, or mix and match a bit, just to try to work out what feels best.

Probably too much info, so sorry, maybe overstepping there, but I do see it a lot with people when they set up new boards, trucks or even just new bushings at the shop / park I am at.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1712 on: October 27, 2023, 06:31:59 PM »
Nhs website has some tony hawk forged hollows on sale for 40 bucks and some other signature hollows for about 40 bucks. Thought id share incase people ain't browsing nhs site to ever see lol.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #1713 on: October 27, 2023, 07:54:43 PM »
I am having withdrawal from the sheer joy of turning on INDYS.

It's pretty fucked up that there are trucks which just don’t turn.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rikki

• Rep: 301
« Reply #1714 on: October 28, 2023, 12:22:22 AM »

If you have access to Ace bushings, replace the stock top washer with an Ace top washer. The profile is easier on the bushing. Also, the turn feels somehow smoother.

hikyle2

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1715 on: October 28, 2023, 12:43:17 AM »
I've got some stage 9 159's that have been on a cruiser, but I want to start actually skating and grinding on them, but the kingpin is ridiculously tall and I have no grind clearance.  I was thinking of getting the inverted kingpin baseplates to use with them, but hesitant to spend money on these old trucks.  Will they feel more like Stage 11's if I switch out the baseplate?  I'm used to stage 11's and not sure what all has changed between the stages.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1716 on: October 28, 2023, 04:37:33 PM »
I've got some stage 9 159's that have been on a cruiser, but I want to start actually skating and grinding on them, but the kingpin is ridiculously tall and I have no grind clearance.  I was thinking of getting the inverted kingpin baseplates to use with them, but hesitant to spend money on these old trucks.  Will they feel more like Stage 11's if I switch out the baseplate?  I'm used to stage 11's and not sure what all has changed between the stages.

The Stage 9 hanger is lower in profile, only 53 or so mm tall, compared to the Stage 11 which is 55 mm tall.  In saying that, the geometry of the older trucks is different to the newer ones, so they will never quite turn the same way as the current models.

You could do what I have done with some of my older trucks - run a cut down top bushing (optional depending on how you ride them) but definitely angle grind down the kingpin top once you have the bushings where you want them, which may or may not be possible with regular bushings.

The main thing is keeping the height of the bottom bushing and just cutting a mm from the lower part of the top bushing, or trying something like the Venture low / loose kit, which also worked really well.

The IKP baseplates will work with those hangers, as I had tried that too with some old Stage 9 trucks that the baseplates had broken and they do fit well enough together.

Do you have any other trucks to compare them with, swap hangers on current Indy trucks or anything?

Obijuan91

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1717 on: October 28, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone run the blue 92a aftermarket bushings on forged baseplates? Curious if they’re the same height as the stock ones, I like the kingpin nut flush. I tried running Krux in mine, but the bottom bushing was taller and it threw off the geo, although they felt good. I’m coming back to Indy’s after a few years on thunders, they just feel like home to me. I’m craving a little more stability setting up for tricks after being used to thunders, but overall super hyped to be back on Indy’s. I pop my tricks higher, turn better, grind father. Only things I prefer about thunders is the crisp pop feel and the stability while still having a decent turn (definitely don’t turn as nice as Indy’s though).
[close]

Just a heads up im 6 ft 175lbs and I just tried the 92a blue barrel indy bushings today and it was wheelbite city. I cranked them down to the point my kingpin nut was showing 2 threads and I still got wheelbite. Will try the black 94a next.
[close]

Good to know! I just ordered a set, we’ll see how I do on them. I’m 5’9” and down to 140lbs after a recent surfing trip (was eating pretty healthy, but not a lot, and surfing burns mad calories)
[close]
I love the black Indy bushings. They are stable but you still get a good turn/carve without having to tighten the nut past 1 thread showing. I'm 5'11'' and 185lbs though so idk how you will like it.

How do that black ones break in? They feel stable yet turn (when I lean with all my weight) but low key scared that they’ll stiffen up. I’m about same weight as you and normally like to ride mid average tightness

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1718 on: October 29, 2023, 01:07:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone run the blue 92a aftermarket bushings on forged baseplates? Curious if they’re the same height as the stock ones, I like the kingpin nut flush. I tried running Krux in mine, but the bottom bushing was taller and it threw off the geo, although they felt good. I’m coming back to Indy’s after a few years on thunders, they just feel like home to me. I’m craving a little more stability setting up for tricks after being used to thunders, but overall super hyped to be back on Indy’s. I pop my tricks higher, turn better, grind father. Only things I prefer about thunders is the crisp pop feel and the stability while still having a decent turn (definitely don’t turn as nice as Indy’s though).
[close]

Just a heads up im 6 ft 175lbs and I just tried the 92a blue barrel indy bushings today and it was wheelbite city. I cranked them down to the point my kingpin nut was showing 2 threads and I still got wheelbite. Will try the black 94a next.
[close]

Good to know! I just ordered a set, we’ll see how I do on them. I’m 5’9” and down to 140lbs after a recent surfing trip (was eating pretty healthy, but not a lot, and surfing burns mad calories)
[close]
I love the black Indy bushings. They are stable but you still get a good turn/carve without having to tighten the nut past 1 thread showing. I'm 5'11'' and 185lbs though so idk how you will like it.
[close]

How do that black ones break in? They feel stable yet turn (when I lean with all my weight) but low key scared that they’ll stiffen up. I’m about same weight as you and normally like to ride mid average tightness

A generalisation, if I may...

The stock bushings are very squishy and then firm up some as they break in.

The aftermarket bushings in the softer duros feel like they start off a bit stiff for a second, then soften right up a lot more as they age.  Then the aftermarket bushings in the harder duros sometimes feel like they are way too stiff right from go, or then flex out at the sides a whole lot if they are pushed too much before breaking in, but as they break in and soften up but also firm up, it is not so much that they get a lot harder, but more so they get more consistent in the feel of them, or even once really well worn in they are actually not that hard at all, but they have a little bit more stiffness when pushed down hard on either side, if that makes sense?

I have some black and even yellow bushings that have been very well used and those things feel so good with the nut flush on standard trucks with 56mm wheels, being able to turn and still get a little wheelbite, but hold up a lot better than the softer / stock bushings do, by comparison.

Not everyone feels that way though, as some people I know have bought them, said they could not turn at all on either black 94 or yellow 96 duro bushings and pretty much discarded them, or swapped them with me for some blue 92 or even the red 88 (which were way stiffer before).  The aftermarket orange at 90 duro are very soft feeling and don't even ask about the white 78s if you want any kind of stiffness or stability - those things are for people with feather weight bodies or ankles of steel (and who can control a board that feels like it has almost no bushings at all) but we are not talking about those ones, so back to the black ones.

The conical shape give a bit more than the cylinder as well, so if you want a little more turn / less stiffness, try those ones if available.  They usually come in both, but the cylinder seem to be way more common in some areas.

Hopefully that helps, but with any bushings, please allow a few sessions to break in and become "normal" and even doing some side to side movements just standing on the board in front of tv or standing on carpet or where ever can help to go from new weird feeling bushings to a bit more comfortable normal feeling bushings.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1719 on: October 29, 2023, 01:56:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like any bushings might have a greater chance of blowing out if they are not broken in nicely.

More so if you put new trucks or new bushings on, then just go skate as usual, there is a good chance they will blow out way faster, than if you took it very easy for the first few sessions, or just did things that didn't involve tightening them down much, heavy leans to either side and just had more of a cruiser type roll around, if that makes sense?

My first session or two on new bushings is usually on a very gentle mini ramp or carpark roll around, just getting them more worn in and not doing anything much that would put a lot of pressure on either side to cut or compress them too much.

Stock bushings are very soft and take a bit to firm up, especially the new Indy bushings, more so than the older ones, so often people will tighten them down some to start with, which then makes them cut into the top sides way more quickly.

Funny thing is I have kept a set of very chopped bushings from someone else, put them on a cruiser board and they still work perfectly well, although they are very loose with minimal sides on them.

Depending on what you prefer, maybe go for the harder blue 92 duro bushings, or mix and match a bit, just to try to work out what feels best.

Probably too much info, so sorry, maybe overstepping there, but I do see it a lot with people when they set up new boards, trucks or even just new bushings at the shop / park I am at.

Nah, all good :) we have no where else to share our thoughts. 

They were old bushings from some indy trucks 3-4 years ago, and just sitting around inside.  They weren't used much, but maybe they're just old and fragile?

I tightened them only till the nut was just at the first ring of the kingpin, so they looked like stock tightness.... and I think I could definitely tighten them more with my weight at 212.  I should try the Hard ones like you mentioned.

Thanks!

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1720 on: October 29, 2023, 01:58:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you have access to Ace bushings, replace the stock top washer with an Ace top washer. The profile is easier on the bushing. Also, the turn feels somehow smoother.

right on.... may consider, thanks

hikyle2

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1721 on: October 29, 2023, 05:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Stage 9 hanger is lower in profile, only 53 or so mm tall, compared to the Stage 11 which is 55 mm tall.  In saying that, the geometry of the older trucks is different to the newer ones, so they will never quite turn the same way as the current models.

You could do what I have done with some of my older trucks - run a cut down top bushing (optional depending on how you ride them) but definitely angle grind down the kingpin top once you have the bushings where you want them, which may or may not be possible with regular bushings.

The main thing is keeping the height of the bottom bushing and just cutting a mm from the lower part of the top bushing, or trying something like the Venture low / loose kit, which also worked really well.

The IKP baseplates will work with those hangers, as I had tried that too with some old Stage 9 trucks that the baseplates had broken and they do fit well enough together.

Do you have any other trucks to compare them with, swap hangers on current Indy trucks or anything?

Good call on using some older trucks, I've got some other, newer trucks that I could swap out baseplate instead of ordering new ones.  I'm worried about the turning as I like the turn of the new stages, and have really enjoyed the Stage 4's as of late.  I was going to change out that stage 4s with these older stage 9s to see how the difference in wheelbase feels but I have a feelling if they turn like shit I'm going to hate it instantly. 

rikki

« Reply #1722 on: October 29, 2023, 06:23:20 AM »
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the Indy blue 92 medium hard cylinders are great bushings if one feels that the stock oranges feel too squirrely.

That said, one cannot emphasize the importance of a proper break-in period with basically any Indy bushing. Even the 92s feel super loose and soft at first, but you just gotta resist the urge to crank them down instantly. Give the bushings, stock or aftermarket, enough time and tighten them little by little. Usually 1, max. 2 sessions for breaking in is enough.

I mean, effin' Chris Russell rides stock oranges. He goes f*cking hard and is not the lightest dude. The stocks are amazing once broken in properly.

MC3

• Rep: 136
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1723 on: October 31, 2023, 11:03:58 AM »
going to buy some indys for a couple reasons, but its been like 6 years since riding them and I can barely remember what its like. I skate an 8.5 with Thunder Hollows right now. Part of me is nervous about going straight from the lightest baby trucks to standard indys, so I should get Indy Hollow Standards. The other part of me says to stop being a baby and just get the Standards. It's like a 5 dollar difference so it's not really about the cost for me.

Thoughts?
(Cool Trick GIF)

standfast

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1724 on: October 31, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »
Go for forged hollow indys if you are coming from thunders. If you got the funds, get the titanium, it'll be the same as a thunder in weight.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1725 on: October 31, 2023, 03:37:20 PM »
i think some folks said the forged indy’s were closer to the cast thunders in wb, height.

weight loss trucks if your setups is too big, helps. indy are heavy for certain. feels great for some tricks. i miss 50/50s and switch and regular kickflips on regular 159s. nollie flips and i’d feel like just broke my ankle. mob problems.
i’m out of shape and shit, but heavy setups irritate my it bands. or thereabouts in the knees.
something about cast indy’s is really cool tho, just kinda feel tough. i just put on way smaller wheels for a good time.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1726 on: October 31, 2023, 05:13:01 PM »
going to buy some indys for a couple reasons, but its been like 6 years since riding them and I can barely remember what its like. I skate an 8.5 with Thunder Hollows right now. Part of me is nervous about going straight from the lightest baby trucks to standard indys, so I should get Indy Hollow Standards. The other part of me says to stop being a baby and just get the Standards. It's like a 5 dollar difference so it's not really about the cost for me.

Thoughts?

I just switched from thunder hollow lights (?) the light blue bushing…

I went to a stock Indy cast baseplate, standard kingpin, and titanium truck hangar… so the only weight loss is the titanium axle, and I’m in freakin’ love. Nothing like Indy’s.

And, watch Degros if you want a longer explanation, but the fulcrum location and extra mm of height of the Indy helps lift up the nose when popping… and the bit of extra weight sucks the board up to your feet.

I’m not a tech skater though, and like nothing better than to get good grinds in, and pop high ollies.

The turning alone will make you wonder why the hell you ever skated Thunders. (Even though going from Indy to Thunder was not that bad: thunders still turn decently well)

MC3

• Rep: 136
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1727 on: October 31, 2023, 07:33:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Thoughts?
[close]

I just switched from thunder hollow lights (?) the light blue bushing…

I went to a stock Indy cast baseplate, standard kingpin, and titanium truck hangar… so the only weight loss is the titanium axle, and I’m in freakin’ love. Nothing like Indy’s.

And, watch Degros if you want a longer explanation, but the fulcrum location and extra mm of height of the Indy helps lift up the nose when popping… and the bit of extra weight sucks the board up to your feet.

I’m not a tech skater though, and like nothing better than to get good grinds in, and pop high ollies.

The turning alone will make you wonder why the hell you ever skated Thunders. (Even though going from Indy to Thunder was not that bad: thunders still turn decently well)

This is some of the reasoning I wanted to switch over. That and I skate 56s so with no risers it was a bit of challenge not to wheelbite. Excited to do some turning, popping, and some grinds on Indys
(Cool Trick GIF)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1728 on: November 13, 2023, 05:37:06 PM »
If anyone is interested to try and decipher this fun math exercise I just went though to figure out what each piece of Indy trucks weighs WITHOUT a scale.  (I could not math it out hard enough to figure out what the delta is between hollow kingpin, and standard kingpin, because there is no fifth type like Thunders to determine the weight split in the 25 grams saved for the hollow axle/hollow kingpin)

149 Axle Size Indy's

Standard (standard base, standard axle/kingpin) - 394 grams

Hollow (Standard base, Hollow axle/hollow kingpin) - 369 grams
--difference--(Hollow Kingpin/hollow Axle reduce weight by: 25 grams) (6.3% Reduction between S. and H.)

Forged Hollow (forged base, hollow axle/hollow kingpin) - 358 grams
--difference--(Forged Baseplate reduces weight by another: 11 grams) (3% reduction between H. and F.H.)

Titanium (forged base, Ti Axle/hollow kingpin) - 340 grams
--difference--(Titanium axle reduces weight by another: 18 grams) (5% Reduction between F.H. and T.)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1729 on: November 13, 2023, 05:44:48 PM »
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the Indy blue 92 medium hard cylinders are great bushings if one feels that the stock oranges feel too squirrely.

That said, one cannot emphasize the importance of a proper break-in period with basically any Indy bushing. Even the 92s feel super loose and soft at first, but you just gotta resist the urge to crank them down instantly. Give the bushings, stock or aftermarket, enough time and tighten them little by little. Usually 1, max. 2 sessions for breaking in is enough.

I mean, effin' Chris Russell rides stock oranges. He goes f*cking hard and is not the lightest dude. The stocks are amazing once broken in properly.
local shop only had orange and black.... am giving the blacks a go right now.  I weight 210, so turning when I want to isn't a problem.... but damn if I have to get used to the moment just before the pop where everything is going to be set and you don't get ANY last minute adjustment.   

skating the blacks made it clear how much last minute turn adjustments I'm doing before popping.  And I definitely have to get used to it :/

other than that, skating on the blacks has the same familiar, sturdy Indy turning right out the box with the nut flush just like a new set of Indy's.  And I don't think I'll get wheelbite falls as much anymore from landing not perfect.

The Blue ones sound REALLY tempting, and probably if I ever see in person I'll pick up and compare them. 

thanks for the suggestion to try Blue!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1730 on: November 13, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
local shop only had orange and black.... am giving the blacks a go right now.  I weight 210, so turning when I want to isn't a problem.... but damn if I have to get used to the moment just before the pop where everything is going to be set and you don't get ANY last minute adjustment.   

skating the blacks made it clear how much last minute turn adjustments I'm doing before popping.  And I definitely have to get used to it :/

other than that, skating on the blacks has the same familiar, sturdy Indy turning right out the box with the nut flush just like a new set of Indy's.  And I don't think I'll get wheelbite falls as much anymore from landing not perfect.

The Blue ones sound REALLY tempting, and probably if I ever see in person I'll pick up and compare them. 

I'm at 196 (lean, no fat) and the black 94s will be forever 92 once you break them in. I'm back on the 92s but might have to bump to black, I hate threads showing and I don't crank down the KP nut, that's what harder bushings are for. I did try 92 bottom 96 top and that was fine as well, just a bit stiffer (but snappier)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 06:14:31 PM by Xen »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1731 on: November 13, 2023, 06:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm at 196 (lean, no fat) and the black 94s will be forever 92 once you break them in. I'm back on the 92s but might have to bump to black, I hate threads showing and I don't crank down the KP nut, that's what harder bushings are for. I did try 92 bottom 96 top and that was fine as well, just a but stiffer (but snappier)
that's awesome to here... because the turn on standard yellow is sublime... but the heavy demands tighter trucks. 

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1732 on: November 13, 2023, 08:16:27 PM »
For those who like big wheels but despise risers, what’s the biggest wheel size you’ll go on forged hollow 149 and standard 149?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #1733 on: November 13, 2023, 09:02:04 PM »
55mm on a standard 149mm. But don't be afraid of risers. Once you're used to the pop timing its not that big of a deal.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1734 on: November 13, 2023, 10:11:53 PM »
For those who like big wheels but despise risers, what’s the biggest wheel size you’ll go on forged hollow 149 and standard 149?

No idea why, but I have always cap'd out wheel height to truck height or wheels 1mm smaller than truck height.

49/50max
52/51, 52max

Forged 53/54 (usually 53)
Cast  54/55 but have run up to 57 with no issues
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:16:01 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1735 on: November 13, 2023, 10:45:22 PM »
I like Thunders and find forged Ti Indys too light feeling. Its hard to explain, but in Indy I prefer cast hollows and if I went forged I'd use the normal hollow axles. The way my brain perceives it is when a trick sucks up to my feet with cast Indy/Thunder/Venture I can feel and hear the board hit my feet. Forged Ti Indys and Thunders just sorta feel floaty like my board is there but the feedback isn't positive.

I use the blues and find that the aftermarket top washer is sharper and narrower. I always re-use the stock washer to avoid crunching the bushing. For me each step up in bushing duro means 1 less thread showing it might not work the same for you. The blues definitely firmed up for me the first day or so they felt similar to stock.

If I was going to use Ace bushings I would just buy AF1. I'm sure the bushings fit and work great, but I don't want to have to mix and match parts from other brands to get shit to work. Otherwise I would just ride some Royals with Ace bushings. I thought I was being a stringent weirdo (and I probably am) until I watched one of Ben D's videos and he echoed the sentiment.

Wheel size is 52/53 Spit Classic regardless. The boss sticks to 53 Classics on Standards. I don't skate bowls or crust, but I do see dudes skate 58 Conicals on Ventures without risers, which are lower (and bite less). I know this is paranoid sounding just like not liking Forged Ti, but I felt that using Conical Fulls on Indy Standards was the worst pinch I've had on a truck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1736 on: November 13, 2023, 10:47:17 PM »
Has anyone tried and stuck with Stage IV hangers on Forged plates? Its some ultimate madness, but I noticed Reynolds was on that combo when I had IG, I've seen a local and a friend do it, and Maurio McCoy is also on it.

rikki

« Reply #1737 on: November 13, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »
As per wheel size, I run 55mm wheels on 144 Forged Titaniums and Forged Hollows no problem.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1738 on: November 14, 2023, 05:53:44 AM »
Has anyone tried and stuck with Stage IV hangers on Forged plates? Its some ultimate madness, but I noticed Reynolds was on that combo when I had IG, I've seen a local and a friend do it, and Maurio McCoy is also on it.

it looks sick.
not sure if reynolds is still about it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1739 on: November 14, 2023, 03:38:52 PM »

I would usually put 56mm wheels (Classic Full mostly) on standard 149s and not have any issues with I guess what could be called medium trucks / stock bushings or adjusted bushings that end up about stock tightness.

One guy I skate with has 60mm Classics on standard 149s with the Indy 96 duro yellow bushings and skates fine, so having tigher trucks with bigger wheels works too, no risers needed.

The main thing is how much you lean side to side / not too much to wheelbite or even just turn which then affects performance with bigger wheels, so some people could get away with a much larger wheel on the same truck than others, due to body weight, bushing hardness but also it very much comes down to ankle strength as well.

Some of the other crazy dudes with 60mm wheels on "no washer" bushing setups have trucks that flip flop side to side, but they don't seem to have any issues with wheelbite as they get more used to the board like that.  Definitely the exception, and I would not want to end up catching at full speed on that sort of setup, but to use that as an extreme example, you can adjust to a board with stock / looser trucks and then go up in wheel size accordingly as well.

More normal preferences would indicate 55 to 56mm on standard plates the most common max with stock bushings for regular skaters, but I think 54mm on forged plates is also a really common setup that others I know have.