Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 110919 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #720 on: May 14, 2023, 08:26:15 PM »
I was at a bar after a show in sf with my date and I was crying because I was pretty much begging her to be more affectionate with me. I was at a table and zack krull and his brother were at the bar. I had an all over print FA hoodie on too lol.  Bar was pretty empty too like 12:45 am on a weekday. He probably didn’t notice tho

Why were you begging someone who you were just on a date with to be more affectionate with you? Or was it an actual gf?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #721 on: May 14, 2023, 08:28:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I was at a bar after a show in sf with my date and I was crying because I was pretty much begging her to be more affectionate with me. I was at a table and zack krull and his brother were at the bar. I had an all over print FA hoodie on too lol.  Bar was pretty empty too like 12:45 am on a weekday. He probably didn’t notice tho
[close]

Why were you begging someone who you were just on a date with to be more affectionate with you? Or was it an actual gf?
Just saying my wants and needs. It was someone I have been dating for a while. We’ve been closer since.

nothing's been the since same

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #722 on: May 14, 2023, 08:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Just saying my wants and needs. It was someone I have been dating for a while. We’ve been closer since.
well it’s definitely awkward, i’ll give you that.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #723 on: May 14, 2023, 08:51:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fair enough, the way you wrote it made it sound like it was just someone you were casually dating or something. Those in-public relationship situations are my least favorite thing to deal with ever but lord knows everyone has to go through em
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -66
  • ???
« Reply #724 on: May 14, 2023, 09:01:41 PM »
I cool guyed bdk one time at dunbat in toronto

Wax Sniffer

• Rep: -311
« Reply #725 on: May 15, 2023, 06:19:10 AM »
As a kid I once a got a Nate Sherwood demo tape from da man himself after defending him on the transworld message boards. It was right after the slap article came out about the demo tape. I wasn't even fan boying, just being like "he's doing his own thing, I can respect it".

People were claiming a sequence ad of his was stitched together from different tricks and he'd personally got on the board to claim it. Of course then it devolved into a ton of Internet trolls personally tearing into his style and trick selection. Just felt terrible for the dude. Seemed nice enough, even dubbed a personal thanks at the beginning of it. Still have it in my collection of skate VHS's somewhere.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #726 on: May 15, 2023, 08:22:54 AM »
As a kid I once a got a Nate Sherwood demo tape from da man himself after defending him on the transworld message boards. It was right after the slap article came out about the demo tape. I wasn't even fan boying, just being like "he's doing his own thing, I can respect it".

People were claiming a sequence ad of his was stitched together from different tricks and he'd personally got on the board to claim it. Of course then it devolved into a ton of Internet trolls personally tearing into his style and trick selection. Just felt terrible for the dude. Seemed nice enough, even dubbed a personal thanks at the beginning of it. Still have it in my collection of skate VHS's somewhere.

Those trolls were just a bunch of unedusk8d morons.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #727 on: May 17, 2023, 07:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those trolls were just a bunch of unedusk8d morons.

I’m sure he apprecisk8ed you standing up for him though

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -423
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #728 on: May 18, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »
Used to work at a pizzeria in bk that had good vegan pizza. Yaje came in one day, was chatting with the owners, came up that he was a pro. Owner goes “sick man, that’s cool” and gives him the slice on the house. Yaje came in the next day with a signed pro model and the owners are hype, we put it up on the wall and give him another free slice. Dude starts to come in like EVERY FUCKING DAY for free pizza and the owners had to uncomfortably cut him off.

This all happened like a month before I started, heard the story when I asked why they had a random fucking Yaje board on the wall. They go “wait, you actually know who this dude is?” I’m like yeah ofc he’s sick. They were baffled, I guess they assumed he was full of shit about being an actual pro because they couldn’t believe he would have to barter boards for pizza hookups (if only they knew)

Shoutout Yaje and the whole sovereign sect

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #729 on: May 18, 2023, 11:40:22 AM »
Used to work at a pizzeria in bk that had good vegan pizza. Yaje came in one day, was chatting with the owners, came up that he was a pro. Owner goes “sick man, that’s cool” and gives him the slice on the house. Yaje came in the next day with a signed pro model and the owners are hype, we put it up on the wall and give him another free slice. Dude starts to come in like EVERY FUCKING DAY for free pizza and the owners had to uncomfortably cut him off.

This all happened like a month before I started, heard the story when I asked why they had a random fucking Yaje board on the wall. They go “wait, you actually know who this dude is?” I’m like yeah ofc he’s sick. They were baffled, I guess they assumed he was full of shit about being an actual pro because they couldn’t believe he would have to barter boards for pizza hookups (if only they knew)

Did you used to work at Screamers? They had some Templeton shit hung up on the wall too, at least back when I would walk by it every now and then.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #730 on: May 18, 2023, 11:50:48 AM »
Was at a house show and matt gottwig was there. A few of us were outside smoking and matt came out, so someone asked what his name was. I automatically went “matt” before he could open his mouth.

grassblade

« Reply #731 on: May 18, 2023, 12:21:16 PM »

what? he’s one of the absolute worst.
the story you just told is just one of the million reasons why

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #732 on: May 20, 2023, 04:56:26 PM »
This drunk homeless guy, no shirt, comes up to me and some friends and tells me about this skate spot he found. It's Mission Beach in San Diego and in front of Hamel's, a tourist/surf shop, so I'm pretty sure every spot within a mile radius has been found, but I go anyway. He ends up walking just a few feet and stands in front of the seawall that lines the entire beach for two miles (the same one DGKalis noseslid in an old Adidas ad). Homeless guy says I can ollie high and might be able to grind the top. I responded that I didn't think anyone could ever get trucks up there (Kien Lieu effortlessly does a few years later in the exact same spot). After a while, he takes a few skaters there and realize that he just wanted to borrow their board to do a Bert slide on the other side of the sidewalk. Years later, I learn he was NYC legend Harry Jumonji, who'd just gotten out of jail in San Diego (celly with Gator), was broke and boardless, and wanted to ride a skateboard more than anything in the world.

Note: he had a signature deck with Shut so technically he's pro.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #733 on: May 20, 2023, 05:14:07 PM »
Met Wes Kremer at Lloyds in Bristol many years back and I love take photos so I asked if I could shoot his portrait. He says "yeah for sure" and looks around and spots this pretty big sail boat. He like climbs on top of this boat for the photo. We get the photo and the boat owner kindly asks him to get off her boat. I was just standing there like wtf is happening.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 43
« Reply #734 on: May 20, 2023, 11:33:25 PM »
Met Wes Kremer at Lloyds in Bristol many years back and I love take photos so I asked if I could shoot his portrait. He says "yeah for sure" and looks around and spots this pretty big sail boat. He like climbs on top of this boat for the photo. We get the photo and the boat owner kindly asks him to get off her boat. I was just standing there like wtf is happening.

Too good of a story to not post the photo.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

powderblues

• Rep: -1
« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2023, 08:34:05 AM »
DEATHWISH came to a shop in Lincoln Nebraska and I met Pedro, Kirby, Jamie, neen.. was sick but I was talking Jake Hayes and was like I'm gonna get beer you want one he said no and seconds later remembered he's sober as I walked away

I told a few of them how cool I thought it was they came to NE while standing together and no one said anything  😳

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 286
« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2023, 08:43:54 AM »
Not an encounter but anytime i hear this dude's name i quietly sing the lyric:

Numbskulls. get ta steppin they dumb dull
And how he rep the mic is like the weapon from Krull

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #737 on: May 21, 2023, 10:15:29 AM »
One time i pulled up to TF and I thought it was empty. I looked over at the benches and noticed a man sitting down, facing away from me, spanking his meat. Curious, but not thrilled, I rolled up and lo and behold, it was fucking shithed02, but he was inflating a basketball, not beating his meat.

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 59
  • energy vampire
« Reply #738 on: May 21, 2023, 11:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not an encounter but anytime i hear this dude's name i quietly sing the lyric:

Numbskulls. get ta steppin they dumb dull
And how he rep the mic is like the weapon from Krull

Would gnar if I could, the Viktor Vaughn record was one of DOOM’s best

CCFATFAT

• Rep: 3
« Reply #739 on: June 08, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
I met Frank Gerwer at the wedge when I was like 11, I think it was a Flip/Firm demo thingy. I was there for Arto and Rowley and had no idea I was sitting right next to Gerwer because I didn’t know who he was. He leaned over to me and asked if I knew where a liquor store was. I was 11. After years of skating that park I would soon realize there was a liquor store across the street from the park. Hope he found it!

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #740 on: June 08, 2023, 04:17:32 PM »
I met Frank Gerwer at the wedge when I was like 11, I think it was a Flip/Firm demo thingy. I was there for Arto and Rowley and had no idea I was sitting right next to Gerwer because I didn’t know who he was. He leaned over to me and asked if I knew where a liquor store was. I was 11. After years of skating that park I would soon realize there was a liquor store across the street from the park. Hope he found it!
This made me laugh, thanks for sharing. Solid first post
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 04:37:32 PM by swellbowed »

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 40
« Reply #741 on: June 08, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »
I once ran into Wieger at a concert in Amsterdam, while I was walking around looking for my friends. I was drunk, but kept my cool, and decided to tell him I had his 'Nothing But The Truth' part on repeat. The moment I started talking I noticed his girlfriend standing next to him and, taken aback by how ridiculously good-looking she was, forgot what I had prepared to say. I didn't say anything about or to her, I just stared for a couple of seconds while talking god knows what in Wieger's ear, and then snapped back to reality. I'm pretty sure Wieger noticed, if his smile to his girlfriend afterwards is anything to go by.

And before you ask, yes it was the girl who would later cheat on him with Kid Rock. I know that because this is the girl in question (for the record: she's a well known photographer/artist here. I haven't been stalking people, I spent three seconds on Google).

https://www.adcn.nl/content/uploads/images/inspirations/photographer-elza-jo-tratlehner-i-do-things-first-and-think-after/_full_page_header_mobile/Elza-jo.jpg

And this is the clip (I can't find the actual news item in which it was broadcast) where she's cozying up to Kid Rock when they're leaving his hotel - which Wieger saw, as he once told in an old Weekend Buzz I think, and through which he thus found out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-CRpOr6Os&pp=ygUWS2lkIHJvY2sgaW4gYW1zdGVlcmRhbQ%3D%3D

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #742 on: June 09, 2023, 03:23:05 AM »
very solid investigative work :)

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
« Reply #743 on: June 09, 2023, 03:50:30 AM »
I asked Alphonso Rawls how he did some vert trick back in 1990 and he said ‘I just keep turning, I guess’

riveting

South Bent

• Rep: -2
« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2023, 01:10:00 PM »
   Way back in the mid-to-late nineties, I worked at a skateshop in Northern Indiana so I had several pro encounters.  They were made awkward by me being an extremely awkward teen.  In the summer of 1995, the Consolidated team came through.  The shop had a terribly designed skatepark and the ripped it in a way no local ever has or seen.  It was full on classic Consolidated, Alan Peterson, Karma, the Paez Bros, and Andy Roy.  The park had this crazy vert wall with four feet of vert and no coping because it was considered to high for anyone to reach.  AP dropped in on it (the only person to ever do that), did a rock fakie, fs and bs disaster, and pivot fakie, all in a row with no bails.  Karma looked like he was having a bad day, Andy Roy was amazing, his style was completely different then it is now.  The Paez Bros were also awesome.  After the demo, AP saw we had a stack of stickers of his first SMA graphic, he said "I loved that board!  Can I have those?" He gave me a signed pair of red suede Pumas in exchange, and now I wish to God I never skated 'em!  The younger Paez was going around looking to trade boards and wheels for weed, and couldn't find any!  That's when I learned a valuable lesson, always have weed on hand to trade at demos haha! 
   The Consolidated team skating the park was a huge contrast to the Osiris team, who showed up four hours late, and just bitched and complained about the park (it was pretty bad tho) and didn't really even try much.  The funny thing about that demo is that everyone was there to see either Smolik or Josh Kasper, and neither of them were there, so most spectators dipped out pretty fast.  No one gave a shit about Chad Knight or Kanten Russel.  I "accidentally" knocked Tyrone Olsen's beer off the deck of the mini ramp because I was a shit kid.  A young Jerry Hsu single handedly carried the whole demo, he was the only one landing anything.  I had a qp to trade for gear, but I was stuck working in the shop, and a friend of mine who has the same shitty weed I did got to them as they got out of the van, so they didn't need any by the time I got to them.  He got a Jerry Hsu Maple board signed by the whole team.
   The Santa Cruz team also came thru, and in the Thrasher article about the tour, they talked shit about the shop owner and he stopped selling Thrasher!  I was bummed because as a shop employee, I got an issue of all the mags for free.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #745 on: June 10, 2023, 10:17:42 PM »
So awkward……

yungtaco

• Rep: 10
« Reply #746 on: June 10, 2023, 10:37:25 PM »
I really had to piss and I was un familier with burnside so I didnt know how bad the porta-a-potty was (it was hell on earth) and when I got out Brent Atchely was staring right at me and held his nose and went woooooof, I was super embarrassed and just said “wow that was gnarly” and left.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #747 on: June 11, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »

Wasent screamers was it? He came in there a few times when I worked there around 2016-2017 but I don’t remember him having a board in the wall - I was also heavily in xanax back then so fuck if I remember
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Merman

• Rep: -36
« Reply #748 on: June 11, 2023, 11:26:33 AM »
Aaron Suski came down and skated our park while I was skating an Aaron Suski deck. He clearly recognized I was skating his deck and I totally knew who he was. We briefly looked at each other and said nothing.

When Aaron Suski visited the park I worked at, I made sure to carefully monitor his every move while I sat in the staff booth with the PA system ready. Every time he made a trick, I'd turn on the mic and gently whisper 'Suuuuuuuuskiiiiii', saying it slowly enough and quietly enough that he couldn't quite discern if he was just hearing shit, or if someone was fucking with him. I'm guessing he felt at least a little bit of awkwardness. I just stayed hidden in the office.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #749 on: June 11, 2023, 09:16:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what? he’s one of the absolute worst.
the story you just told is just one of the million reasons why

I saw him freaking the fuck out at tompkins cuz he couldnt do a back smith or something