Author Topic: Nyjah Front Blunt 18 Rail  (Read 6249 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
Re: Nyjah Front Blunt 18 Rail
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
skateboarding has gotten to stuntman level shit. It's a bummer that SOTY is just another thing he's trying to win, instead of just getting it like the others have.
[close]
Agreed. This was 100% calculated. Phelps said it himself - DC flew him out to watch Nyjah skate.

Regardless, that was regular. Kid is on the next level.

Which leads me to a thought - the most talented often have serious personality flaws. Edgar Allen Poe was a drunk, Michael Jackson was a petterass, and Nyjah needs to win everything. Maybe we should all just start accepting he is a jock.
Skaters-most of them anyway-tend not to be as inspired by the jocks though.  They're all incredible, but its the weirdos like Gonz/Blender/Mullen etc that really push it forward.  Thinking of skating in new ways trumps bigger all day.  Nyjah and the like just make it feel like a sport, they're the best because the stair count is higher.  I enjoyed the inclusion of Michael Jackson/Pederast by the way.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
I just started laughing half way through. Unfuckingbelievable. Amazing.

He is realllllly going for SOTY, lets see where it takes him.

Also file this under the "Phelper is such a fucking dick, he is so mean :(" Thread. Fuck yall haters.

Will Easley

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 11:54:29 PM »
Bought the interview issue at my shop today, read his interview and real talk Nyjah has got to be THE best handrail skater out right now. Even if he's been all "buddy-buddy" with Phelps during this SoTY push (he's certainly not the first one to do so) , he is fucking killing it right now & if he keeps it up throughout the year, he will be more than deserving of the award. He has at least 7-8 photos throughout the new Thrasher and the tricks are all straight bangers. He's at a level of handrail mastery that's evident even when he doesnt land something.

Also, what's every bodys beef with skating big shit? "All it is is more stairs, longer rails, blah blah blah skateboarding is so much more". Yall act like its some "lesser" form of skateboarding or something. Like its not "as good" as tech shit, transition, etc. Skating gaps and rails can take just as much or more focus, concentration, and skill as anything else, while being the most physically taxing. So even if you "cant relate" to a certain style of skating you still gotta respect the guys who kill that shit. I can tell y'all right now my manual skills are straight trash but I still love watching a marc johnson or Brezinski go to work because i got love for the game & appreciate any kind of good skateboarding. I dont see things thru a "filter" like some of yall do...I swear some of yall will swoon over niggas just because they like the same music as you do but will automatically hate on somebody because they wear different kinds of clothes or some other trivial shit like that. I couldnt ever hate on as many skateboarders as some of yall SLAP niggas. like holy fuck yall look at shit so negative I cant even comprehend thinking like that all the time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:58:01 PM by Will Easley »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
skateboarding has gotten to stuntman level shit. It's a bummer that SOTY is just another thing he's trying to win, instead of just getting it like the others have.
[close]
Agreed. This was 100% calculated. Phelps said it himself - DC flew him out to watch Nyjah skate.

Which leads me to a thought - the most talented often have serious personality flaws. Edgar Allen Poe was a drunk, Michael Jackson was a petterass, and Nyjah needs to win everything. Maybe we should all just start accepting he is a jock.
[close]
Skaters-most of them anyway-tend not to be as inspired by the jocks though.  They're all incredible, but its the weirdos like Gonz/Blender/Mullen etc that really push it forward.  Thinking of skating in new ways trumps bigger all day.  Nyjah and the like just make it feel like a sport, they're the best because the stair count is higher.  I enjoyed the inclusion of Michael Jackson/Pederast by the way.
His skills go beyond big stuff. He is one of the most progressive tech rail skaters currently. Can't be denied.

era

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »
It is REALLY hard to believe Phelps actually skated/skates (I know he did/does).

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:48 AM »
It is REALLY hard to believe Phelps actually skated/skates (I know he did/does).

Seen him skate a long time ago, he ripped.

SkateNerd2000

• Rep: -5
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 03:09:13 AM »
Nyjah's confidence on a skateboard is really inspiring

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
His skills go beyond big stuff. He is one of the most progressive tech rail skaters currently. Can't be denied.
Not even trying to deny it, he is absolutely ridiculous.  To my point though, would you rather watch him do these progressive rail tricks or would you rather watch someone doing something new or skating something in an unexpected way?  Think Nyjah will have a cult following that someone like Puleo has a few years from now?  I personally don't.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Not even trying to deny it, he is absolutely ridiculous.  To my point though, would you rather watch him do these progressive rail tricks or would you rather watch someone doing something new or skating something in an unexpected way?  Think Nyjah will have a cult following that someone like Puleo has a few years from now?  I personally don't.

so you'd rather watch Bobby Puleo skate a cellar door again than watch Nyjah do some NBD trick on a 20 stair rail....?  ???
Hey man, you like what you like, it's all rad.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »
Nyjah won't need a cult following because he will have an actual following.  As in he'll be more famous, more wealthy, and every little kid (and there are more now than ever) who starts skating will have a picture of nyjah doing something reedick on their wall, because they will know him as "the best".

Kids don't care what the old people with over calibrated sensibilities think. Because they are the past.

Bitd Hawk had the most haters.  Also Hawk was the most focused, the most talented, the most robotic, the most thirsty.  Nobody liked his style but it was kind of irrelevant in the big picture because he was kind of destined for skateboard greatness since he was a kid.  Skinny ass legs spinning out of a bowl, not unlike a mass of dreads on a little head flying down a rail.

I was more of a Guerrero fan, the way I'm more of a Cromer, Luan, or Provost "fan" now.  But anyone who denies what nyjah is doing (destroying, winning, next leveling skateboarding) is kind of delusional at this point. 

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
Nyjah won't need a cult following because he will have an actual following.  As in he'll be more famous, more wealthy, and every little kid (and there are more now than ever) who starts skating will have a picture of nyjah doing something reedick on their wall, because they will know him as "the best".

Kids don't care what the old people with over calibrated sensibilities think. Because they are the past.

Bitd Hawk had the most haters.  Also Hawk was the most focused, the most talented, the most robotic, the most thirsty.  Nobody liked his style but it was kind of irrelevant in the big picture because he was kind of destined for skateboard greatness since he was a kid.  Skinny ass legs spinning out of a bowl, not unlike a mass of dreads on a little head flying down a rail.

I was more of a Guerrero fan, the way I'm more of a Cromer, Luan, or Provost "fan" now.  But anyone who denies what nyjah is doing (destroying, winning, next leveling skateboarding) is kind of delusional at this point. 
I don't deny Nyjah anything, he is killing it.  The difference with someone like Hawk and Nyjah is that Hawk was doing brand new things and expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things that people had not done.  Nyjah is not doing that, he is going bigger-AND there are plenty of others already doing that (sw bs flip wallenberg the other day).  And as for Puleo, its not about watching him skate another cellar door NOW, its that when he was in his prime, he was skating in a way that stood out, was different from everyone else.  And that stuck with a lot of people (see SLAP).  Nyjah might end up more famous and rich, but so was Bam.  That's not the goal for a lot of people.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
The difference with someone like Hawk and Nyjah is that Hawk was doing brand new things and expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things that people had not done.  Nyjah is not doing that, he is going bigger-AND there are plenty of others already doing that (sw bs flip wallenberg the other day).  And as for Puleo, its not about watching him skate another cellar door NOW, its that when he was in his prime, he was skating in a way that stood out, was different from everyone else.  And that stuck with a lot of people (see SLAP).  Nyjah might end up more famous and rich, but so was Bam.  That's not the goal for a lot of people.

[/quote]

wtf are you talking about? So Hawk doing NBD's on a half-pipe is expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things nobody has done before, but Nyjah doing NBD's on a 20 stair rail is not and just considered going big? Dude just admit you don't like Nyjah, because you trying to coordinate your hate into some kind of point is failing.
And as for Puleo, skating in a way that stands out? You mean like.....someone that's front blunting 18 stair handrails?
also, I can think of about 30 other guys that skate just like Puleo, nobody is skating on Nyjah's level right now.
We get it, this is SLAP, therefore watching puleo push > anything involving nyjah. yawn.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seen him skate a long time ago, he ripped.

He gives me second had embarrassment. It seems like he thinks he's skating's Tony Soprano...

However, there was a pretty crazy hill bomb he did filmed on some Japan thing recently. Narrow, fast and with some traffic. Can't knock that...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
The difference with someone like Hawk and Nyjah is that Hawk was doing brand new things and expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things that people had not done.  Nyjah is not doing that, he is going bigger-AND there are plenty of others already doing that (sw bs flip wallenberg the other day).  And as for Puleo, its not about watching him skate another cellar door NOW, its that when he was in his prime, he was skating in a way that stood out, was different from everyone else.  And that stuck with a lot of people (see SLAP).  Nyjah might end up more famous and rich, but so was Bam.  That's not the goal for a lot of people.

wtf are you talking about? So Hawk doing NBD's on a half-pipe is expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things nobody has done before, but Nyjah doing NBD's on a 20 stair rail is not and just considered going big? Dude just admit you don't like Nyjah, because you trying to coordinate your hate into some kind of point is failing.
And as for Puleo, skating in a way that stands out? You mean like.....someone that's front blunting 18 stair handrails?
also, I can think of about 30 other guys that skate just like Puleo, nobody is skating on Nyjah's level right now.
We get it, this is SLAP, therefore watching puleo push > anything involving nyjah. yawn.
[/quote]
So....you think that inventing tricks is the same as doing a trick tons of other people have already done, just on a rail 3 or 4 stairs bigger?
Also you can think of about 30 guys that skate like Puleo NOW.  When he was in his prime you could think of zero dudes that skated that way.  Big difference.  There are a lot of dudes that skate like Nyjah too, already-just on slightly smaller things.  I don't hate Nyjah at all, but I don't love him or think he's going to be legendary either.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote
so much room for error there  ???

Expand Quote
i dont see anyone getting close to him (if it comes to going big)
[close]

[close]
Watch this 'til the end.  He'd be a serious contender for Nyjah if he could get into SL...

... he was in street league

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Expand Quote
The difference with someone like Hawk and Nyjah is that Hawk was doing brand new things and expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things that people had not done.  Nyjah is not doing that, he is going bigger-AND there are plenty of others already doing that (sw bs flip wallenberg the other day).  And as for Puleo, its not about watching him skate another cellar door NOW, its that when he was in his prime, he was skating in a way that stood out, was different from everyone else.  And that stuck with a lot of people (see SLAP).  Nyjah might end up more famous and rich, but so was Bam.  That's not the goal for a lot of people.

[close]

So....you think that inventing tricks is the same as doing a trick tons of other people have already done, just on a rail 3 or 4 stairs bigger?
Also you can think of about 30 guys that skate like Puleo NOW.  When he was in his prime you could think of zero dudes that skated that way.  Big difference.  There are a lot of dudes that skate like Nyjah too, already-just on slightly smaller things.  I don't hate Nyjah at all, but I don't love him or think he's going to be legendary either.

Thank you.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
I think it's just that on anyone's personal level your taste in aesthetics change over time. The older you are the more likely you'll care for creativity, spot selection, and innovation in truly original ways vs going bigger. I'm almost 25 so to me watching something like those twins who skate for Expedition just sort of weirds me out. When I go out skating it's more fun for me to just do ollies, make up dork tricks, or do everything I have on lock over going bigger these days so I like to see people skate with that sort of mentality. I also like to think that I could go have a beer with whatever guy who's video part I'm stoked on.

I can definitely respect Nyjah - the kid's gnarly - but still most things he does doesn't have a very high re-watch value for me. I've also sort of got this theory that aside from his dad being an ass to deal with Nyjah also probably had the same sort of "jock" mentality when he was a kid skating Tampa Am. He just sort of resurfaced and skateboarding has changed so I think part of the recognition comparing him to say Forrest Edwards is that the Industry mentality has caught up to his.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »
a lot of it is presentation too tho, I'd like to see a nyjah part in static 4
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1517
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »

hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa damn what did i just read

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The difference with someone like Hawk and Nyjah is that Hawk was doing brand new things and expanding the possibilities of skating and doing things that people had not done.  Nyjah is not doing that, he is going bigger-AND there are plenty of others already doing that (sw bs flip wallenberg the other day).  And as for Puleo, its not about watching him skate another cellar door NOW, its that when he was in his prime, he was skating in a way that stood out, was different from everyone else.  And that stuck with a lot of people (see SLAP).  Nyjah might end up more famous and rich, but so was Bam.  That's not the goal for a lot of people.

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Also you can think of about 30 guys that skate like Puleo NOW.  When he was in his prime you could think of zero dudes that skated that way.  Big difference.  There are a lot of dudes that skate like Nyjah too, already-just on slightly smaller things.  I don't hate Nyjah at all, but I don't love him or think he's going to be legendary either.

[close]

Thank you.

This would be a good point if it wasn't 2013, where it's basically impossible to invent new tricks. Instead, that is substituted with taking already really hard tricks and doing them on really gnarly obstacles, that's just the way it is now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not Nyjah fan boy, but all this biased hate on him because of how he dresses or how you think his personality is, instead of just looking at his skating, is whack as shit. The kid is the best at his kind of skating.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.
[close]

This would be a good point if it wasn't 2013, where it's basically impossible to invent new tricks. Instead, that is substituted with taking already really hard tricks and doing them on really gnarly obstacles, that's just the way it is now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not Nyjah fan boy, but all this biased hate on him because of how he dresses or how you think his personality is, instead of just looking at his skating, is whack as shit. The kid is the best at his kind of skating.

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Inventing the streets to see new obstacles is in my opinion exactly the same as inventing tricks i.e. Puleo invented the nosegrind into cellar door because the nosegrind is such a different trick depending on how you do it. With that mindset there's endless opportunities of inventing tricks/obstacles.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.

JT, Muska and Kirchart didn't invent any new stuff either but they are legends for doing the same thing Nyjah is doing now: expanding what is possible in skateboarding.  Since every trick has already been invented, that involves seeing how far/complicated you can take the already existing stuff.  5-10 years from now there will be flow trash front blunting 18's in sponsor-me vids, because Nyjah was the first to show everyone that it is possible to front blunt an 18 in the first place.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.
[close]

JT, Muska and Kirchart didn't invent any new stuff either but they are legends for doing the same thing Nyjah is doing now: expanding what is possible in skateboarding.  Since every trick has already been invented, that involves seeing how far/complicated you can take the already existing stuff.  5-10 years from now there will be flow trash front blunting 18's in sponsor-me vids, because Nyjah was the first to show everyone that it is possible to front blunt an 18 in the first place.

I disaggree - especially on JT and Kirchart - and Muska was definitely more of a personality than Nyjah.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »

Hahahaha.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.
[close]

[close]

I disaggree - especially on JT and Kirchart - and Muska was definitely more of a personality than Nyjah.

Well they certainly didn't invent any new tricks- they didn't even "invent" big handrail skating, Pat Duffy did. 

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Well they certainly didn't invent any new tricks- they didn't even "invent" big handrail skating, Pat Duffy did. 

well as I said earlier taking a trick to another type of spot (in Heath's case the flip into grind/slides) is in my eyes the same as inventing new tricks.

foureyedjim

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »

If nyjah did the same stuff with different clothes and skated to different edits, I wonder how people will see him then.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
This was a lot more impressive then the ollie over f.s. noseslide that everyone called a b.s. noseblunt :)

I view this type of skating the same way I do the mega ramp, it's impressive and amazing, I will never be able to do it and it doesn't inspire me to skate in any way. I think it is rad he is pushing himself though. I would be more into his skating if he mixed it up like David Gonzales. Nyjah grew up skating a skate park so I know he has some transition skills.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -603
  • who knows
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
Puleo invented the nosegrind into cellar door

jesus. i have never read anything worse. he is one of my favorites of all time but you guys want to suck his dick
where is home?

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
Puleo invented the nosegrind into cellar door

jesus. i have never read anything worse. he is one of my favorites of all time but you guys want to suck his dick

well okay I don't know if he was the first - my point was that doing a nosegrind into a cellar door is a different trick than doing one down a handrail, a kinked handrail, on a box, on a box where you pop out