Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309440 times)

steve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
Re: bikes
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd love to have the options, but the Cannondale will have to do for now.  Bikes are expensive and my extra money goes right into art supplies and motorcycle stuff.  Steve- you're on my facebook, did you see the custom motorcycle pegs my homie made?  I am so psyched to start working with those dudes.
[close]

Cannondale  is a good bike, don't get me wrong. Riding bikes for me, though, has become similar to skating in that I find stuff from certain companies more physically and stylistically comfortable.

I deleted the facebook about a year ago! I'd like to see that though. Can't wait to see you start tattooing again. Actually, when you've got time I'm gonna PM you about an idea for something you might be able to draw. a cambodian naga.

also, on facebook check my homie andrew pequita. dude's a nasty tattoo artist who would be right up your alley
[close]

I tend to have a hard time remembering who comes and goes on Facebook because I've started using it more for networking with other artists and writers.  Shoot me a PM, I am down to do something Asian influenced.  I haven't done much in that style, just know that in the span of 4 weeks I am getting out of the military, moving nearly 700 miles and going to Italy, so it might be May when I really knock it out.  Here's the pieces though- entirely hand made-

glad to hear you're finally able to settle down a bit with mrs. hate. i find it humorous as well.

those pegs are sick. what are metal are they made out of? I can only do some basic welding so this sort of metal work blows my mind!

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »
i posted this in the purchases thread, but got this a month ago.  stoked on it.  been riding it to work every day (6 miles 1 way).  it's a 5 speed internal hub and it's perfect.  really all i need.  the lowest gear is low enough to go up the steep ass hill i live on.  the highest gear is cranking.  i really love it

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

steve

« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
thats a sweet ride. looks like you've got brazeons for a rear rack too.

i've got 1930s british 3 speed with the internal hub. that fucker is heavy as hell but it's fun to cruise once in a while.

my brother, who rocks that green Surly LHT i put up a few posts back just had a dynamo hub built. that thing is sick

steve

« Reply #513 on: March 23, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
Oh, fuck, man. That's some beautiful welding. My aunt's husband gets on a level like that with welding down in NC. He had made my mom an amazing mirror that looked like leaves and vines.

Your workshop looks cool. I wouldn't know what to do in there. I love seeing rat rockets and shit get built up though

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #514 on: March 23, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
finally, winterbreak for my about 40year old gem is over. (no fixie, its a singlespeed. i dont think that the frame could take the forces when changing it to fixie. also, its a perfect cruiser right now.)

Got something very similar myself, 3 speed Raleigh Chiltern.  It's on it's last legs though, internal hub is broken and stuck in 2nd amongst other problems.  Time to get something else along those lines, love the upgright bike steez.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
i already have a Linus but this makes me want to buy another one

http://www.fourstarclothing.com/2011/07/11/fourstar-roadster/

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Don't Bother

• Rep: 2
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
My bike last year was destroyed last year by the city. I had an 79 Vitali pista that I rode the shit out of for two years. I had it broken in perfectly broken in and everything. One night I was late for seeing a movie across town, so I locked it up at a train station to make the movie. U lock around the frame, and a chain through the tire and frame to the sturdiest railing at the station. Ended up getting going home with a girl that night and when I went back in the morning to get the bike all that was left was my u-lock stripped down to steel with a bunch of cuts in it.
First I searched around town for a bum with my bike, then called the impound lots. Finally I realized, How could some one steal/Impound my bike if my U-lock was still attached to the railing? I'd pretty much lost hope and was walking to the bar, but stopped and asked a cop who was at the station where my bike had been locked if he had seen anything. He made a call and told me that the city workers were ordered to remove it and when they couldn't hack through my U lock they just cut the frame in half and took it to the dump!! Nothing to be salvaged from the bike. No compensation after months of letters to alderman and officials.
Now I'm stuck with three broken franken bikes and my lock full of hack wounds but in one piece. I'm starting to hate bikes. Cruiser boards will do I just don't leave downtown now.

(I don't have any glamor shots of my bike, but it was an obviously nice italian track bike. Locked for less than 12 hours, at the same station as 2 year old rusted mountain bikes. Yeah I'm still butt hurt about it)

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
Just joined a bike club called the Electric Pythons. Sounds kind of dumb, but this group is a bunch of hooligans and we rip around town blasting old punk music and shit. Post up at a spot, drink a little and then tear up some mean karaoke haha

steve

« Reply #518 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
Just joined a bike club called the Electric Pythons. Sounds kind of dumb, but this group is a bunch of hooligans and we rip around town blasting old punk music and shit. Post up at a spot, drink a little and then tear up some mean karaoke haha

sounds like you've got some mini critical mass going down. right on.

I bought a 1971 Bianchi Milano on craigslist for $150 (i think) a few months ago. It was a bit rust where paint had chipped away but has absolutely NO rot. I started breaking it down today. Cleaned most of the rust off the frame- WD40 and tin foil are the business!- I'm apprehensive about fucking with the derailleurs and bottom bracket just because it's so old, but i'll be getting to them soon enough. I've never seen a derailleur like this, it's super well made and practical. The wheel set has stamped Bianchi hubs with concave rims for sew up tubular tyres, which are a pain in the balls, but if i do a total restore job, i'll stick with them, otherwise I'll sell the wheel set on craigslist and I'm pretty sure they're worth more than I paid for the whole set up. Most of the decals have peeled off, which is a drag, but the head badge/decal is still on as are those on the fork and the color is the beautiful celeste. I'm hyped on having started this today, if you can't tell!!!

this image is NOT of my bike, this one is way too mint. It's the same model though. I'll post some pics when it is done.
http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/bianchi-1971-or-1972-571

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #519 on: June 15, 2012, 02:33:30 AM »
Ive been riding crazy like on my mountain bike, trying to see how long I can keep my pulse high. Also, I want to loose my fatsoness so that motivates me.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #520 on: June 15, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
My bike last year was destroyed last year by the city. I had an 79 Vitali pista that I rode the shit out of for two years. I had it broken in perfectly broken in and everything. One night I was late for seeing a movie across town, so I locked it up at a train station to make the movie. U lock around the frame, and a chain through the tire and frame to the sturdiest railing at the station. Ended up getting going home with a girl that night and when I went back in the morning to get the bike all that was left was my u-lock stripped down to steel with a bunch of cuts in it.
First I searched around town for a bum with my bike, then called the impound lots. Finally I realized, How could some one steal/Impound my bike if my U-lock was still attached to the railing? I'd pretty much lost hope and was walking to the bar, but stopped and asked a cop who was at the station where my bike had been locked if he had seen anything. He made a call and told me that the city workers were ordered to remove it and when they couldn't hack through my U lock they just cut the frame in half and took it to the dump!! Nothing to be salvaged from the bike. No compensation after months of letters to alderman and officials.
Now I'm stuck with three broken franken bikes and my lock full of hack wounds but in one piece. I'm starting to hate bikes. Cruiser boards will do I just don't leave downtown now.

(I don't have any glamor shots of my bike, but it was an obviously nice italian track bike. Locked for less than 12 hours, at the same station as 2 year old rusted mountain bikes. Yeah I'm still butt hurt about it)

Fuck, I'd be heartbroken if that happened to my bike...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #521 on: June 15, 2012, 07:28:09 AM »
Caught someone trying to steal my Surly last week. Just a simple chain and the dude was trying really hard to cut the lock but couldn't crack it. I walked up and asked him to move over so I could unlock it for him. As soon as I pulled the key, he ran away. I haven't ridden that bike much lately. I got my first road bike and it's so much faster, I just take that one everywhere now.

Posted it in recent purchases a few months ago, but the neon yellow Trek craigslist find is probably my best purchase in years. This is the Dylan of 90's bikes.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #522 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
^^^I swear that is the main reason why I don't ride my bike more in SF. I've never locked up my bike just cause all the stories I hear and I am not trying to let some asshole just steal my shit when I put almost $1500 into it. Mother fuckers are staight crazy out there though. Like there is no shame in jacking a bike in broad daylight.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #523 on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
I love riding bikes.  It gets me places quick and some exercise along the way.  I have a 1980's Bianchi racing bike, an aluminum frame Kona mountain bike, and a Norco unicycle.  I'll try to post pics soon, they are all nice bikes.

steve

« Reply #524 on: June 15, 2012, 09:50:31 AM »
Caught someone trying to steal my Surly last week. Just a simple chain and the dude was trying really hard to cut the lock but couldn't crack it. I walked up and asked him to move over so I could unlock it for him. As soon as I pulled the key, he ran away. I haven't ridden that bike much lately. I got my first road bike and it's so much faster, I just take that one everywhere now.

Posted it in recent purchases a few months ago, but the neon yellow Trek craigslist find is probably my best purchase in years. This is the Dylan of 90's bikes.

You have a Cross Check, right? Mine is seriously the best bike I've ever ridden. I scraped the decals off for stealth purposes but even with the plain brown powder coat frame it's a nice looking thievery worthy bike. Sometimes I like leaving my fixie in front of some bar/cafe and wait for someone to try to steal it. Where i'm living, only a crackhead would steal such a bike and eat shit with no break and the fixed gear. I could laugh and then kick the shit out of them.

If I want more speed I stick with the Bianchi fixed. The crank still has 2 rings on it and for years i was riding on the smaller/mid ring. I recently put a fatter/longer chain on and have kicked into the big ring. It took a few days to get skid stops back into the mix, but the bike is far faster and not that much harder to pedal up a hill. totally worth it.

i'm friends with these 2 brothers who are bartenders, aged between 50-60yrs. Both of them ride and have sheds full of old gear they let me dig through from time to time. One is riding a 79 Trek that is in absolute mint condition. One of the nicer bikes I've seen in a while.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #525 on: June 15, 2012, 10:28:02 AM »
Yeah I've got a Cross Check. One of the beef gravy brown ones. It's an amazing bike and I've taken it everywhere. I did a tour up the east coast with it and it held up with weight attached to it. Best bike ever. I'll die before I let that thing disappear. But that Trek I just bought, weighs nothing, 23c tires get you around so fast and I only have 80 bucks invested in it. If it goes missing I wouldn't be as heartbroken as losing the Surly.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #526 on: June 15, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Ive been riding crazy like on my mountain bike, trying to see how long I can keep my pulse high. Also, I want to loose my fatsoness so that motivates me.

been doing sort of the same. i've been riding my mountain bike to the ymca, working out then riding back. it's a 5 mile round trip. i really need to get out and hit the trails but that would eat into my skating time so i've kind of picked my poison.

steve

« Reply #527 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
Yeah I've got a Cross Check. One of the beef gravy brown ones. It's an amazing bike and I've taken it everywhere. I did a tour up the east coast with it and it held up with weight attached to it. Best bike ever. I'll die before I let that thing disappear. But that Trek I just bought, weighs nothing, 23c tires get you around so fast and I only have 80 bucks invested in it. If it goes missing I wouldn't be as heartbroken as losing the Surly.

That's the same bike I've got. 2009 model. It's an amazing bike. My brother and I did a 2 week tour of humboldt county CA last year, a week after I bought it, and the first time I had ridden anything that wasn't fixed since I was a kid.

his LHT is on the left and CC is beef gravy. haha. Those ortliebs were full as fuck too. We had a host of 15 hour days in the saddle, especially climbing through the Kings Range. Do you have a triple? that shit saved my life climbing from sea level to 4000ft. I'd like to score one of the new CC forks, with mid level eyelets for a front rack. Tour with full panniers... oh man, oh man...

here's the LHT again, see the gallon jugs of water bungeed to the front? cattle country and the Hoopa Res. are dangerous as fuck when trying to find a place for water and camp.

i've posted it before, i think, but here's what i ride otherwise. I'd like to build a new one...

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #528 on: June 16, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

been doing sort of the same. i've been riding my mountain bike to the ymca, working out then riding back. it's a 5 mile round trip. i really need to get out and hit the trails but that would eat into my skating time so i've kind of picked my poison.
Yeah, I fully understand that. I would prefer skating too if I had to choose, but I just happen to be on a summer break and my hip is kind of in a bad condition right now so I cant be skating all the time. I do skate as much as I can. Yesterday I rode for 30 miles, today it was 50 miles. I was riding with a friend in a beautiful scenery so I was pretty motivated, we kind of pushed each other too. The hills were starting to kill me in the end, which is good for the weight loss though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:15:04 PM by Bronson »

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #529 on: June 16, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
my trusty fuji special road racer, extremely reliable since i snagged it off of ebay about four years ago.  i recently had the wheels trued and picked up some new toe straps, so i got all stoked on it again and decided to snap some photos.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #530 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
I just picked this up a couple weeks ago. I've been having some problems considering that it is 40 years old, but it's been a fun little project so far. It rides great also.

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #531 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »

This, is mine.  8)

steve

« Reply #532 on: June 17, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »
just want to say to anyone working with an older bike frame, tin foil and wd40 is the way to go when removing rust and trying to keep paint intact. i learned this this week

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #533 on: June 17, 2012, 07:18:18 AM »

This, is mine.  8)
Holy shit - where can I buy an engine kit like that? How many CC? Are they difficult to install for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #534 on: June 17, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
my trusty fuji special road racer, extremely reliable since i snagged it off of ebay about four years ago.  i recently had the wheels trued and picked up some new toe straps, so i got all stoked on it again and decided to snap some photos.

solid colour match, haha. this is mine.

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote

This, is mine.?  8)
[close]
Holy shit - where can I buy an engine kit like that? How many CC? Are they difficult to install for a non-mechanically inclined person like myself?

66cc/Can go around 45mph. It is such a bitch to get on. And I still can't get my started. Save your money.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yes!  i am so terribly close to starting a matze appreciation thread.

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
you are all a bunch of dirty hipsters!!!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #538 on: June 19, 2012, 12:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my trusty fuji special road racer, extremely reliable since i snagged it off of ebay about four years ago.?  i recently had the wheels trued and picked up some new toe straps, so i got all stoked on it again and decided to snap some photos.
[close]
[close]
yes!?  i am so terribly close to starting a matze appreciation thread.
we'll probably never meet in real life, but I can imagine us hanging around. this is so sweet.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2012, 05:51:16 AM »
this is my little beater single speed, need to get a better seat though, this one is killing my ass

also sorry about the shitty cell phone picture