Author Topic: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's  (Read 12837 times)

H8R part 4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
I want to like sole tech. I've skated probably 10 pairs of Hsu's and they all fell apart quickly. Sole pealed off and all sorts of weird shit that normally doesn't happen to the shoes I skate. I went through a pair of Leo's in two days just skating flat ground, but those were meant to be flimsy shoes so I'm not surprised.

I might be the only dude on the planet that liked the Nike E-Cues. Boardfeel wasn't the best but you could skate a pair of those for ever, and since they were unpopular, you could usually score them for 30-40 bucks a pair at shops.

you are not alone my friend.  i've skated at least 6 pairs of e-cue/urls and i loved each and every pair.
the biggest problem was breaking them in because the rubber mesh was so tough but once you broke them in they were great.
i've looked around but haven't seen them anywhere otherwise i'd scoop them all up.

oddly, i have the original test samples of these shoes sitting in my apartment....

notice theres no nike logo on the shoe whatsoever.  no way to tell but the mesh was originally thin and flexible so they could see how the shoe would wear out.     

inside was the only place "nike" was stamped....not for resale son! 

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
If you haven't tried Sole Tech cupsoles from the 90s then you don't really know what made people want to skate them in the first place. Unfortunately a lot of the shoes they are doing now are vulcs or very thin cupsoles.

I'm skating a pair of these Sagas now, and they seem to be fairly durable. The sole is a bit thinner than I would like though...probably not as good as what 'eS was doing in the 90s. I really wish they'd go back to tech shoes and make the cupsoles just a little thicker.

mattyc

• Rep: -6
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
If you haven't tried Sole Tech cupsoles from the 90s then you don't really know what made people want to skate them in the first place. Unfortunately a lot of the shoes they are doing now are vulcs or very thin cupsoles.

I'm skating a pair of these Sagas now, and they seem to be fairly durable. The sole is a bit thinner than I would like though...probably not as good as what 'eS was doing in the 90s. I really wish they'd go back to tech shoes and make the cupsoles just a little thicker.

I've skated many a pair of ?s accels, but I always had to get insoles for them b/c the insoles sucked.  My favorite  SoleTech shoe was the OG SLB 23's.  In High school I use to tell people they were the new jordan's.  The re-release on etnies a few years back was also really good...but then they discontinued them again.   The new ones that the re-re-realeased are "lifestyle" whatever that means.
-mattyc
-mattyc

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
Nike's have always been good purchases, haven't had any problems with them.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
STI insoles are pretty thin these days...I think it's a concession to the whole "boardfeel" obsession these days. No big deal, most of the insoles are removable and you can put any insoles you like in there. I just got Sof Soles for mine and they seem to be a bit better.

The old Sals were a favorite of mine too. I had at least 2 pairs of them back in the mid 90s. Everyone was skating those shoes then. I missed the boat on the reissued ones...they looked to be slimmed up compared to the old puffy OGs. I really wish they'd reissue the SLB high tops too.

I also liked the old Etnies Screws a lot, can't get those anymore either.

Accels were sort of like an update version of the old Etnies Rap lowtops. Sadly, Accels are about all that remains of the old Etnies lineup.

I've skated many a pair of ?s accels, but I always had to get insoles for them b/c the insoles sucked.  My favorite  SoleTech shoe was the OG SLB 23's.  In High school I use to tell people they were the new jordan's.  The re-release on etnies a few years back was also really good...but then they discontinued them again.   The new ones that the re-re-realeased are "lifestyle" whatever that means.
-mattyc

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »

I should try some of the cupsoles from sole tech to see if they flake apart as bad. I used to skate the 'es Creagers, Quattros, Koston 1, Koston 3, Accels, ...every kind of 'es shoe I could get in the sale pile.

Damn faster, how'd you come by those? Pretty sick! Im going to buy a pair of the denim ecues this week just for a keepsake.

mattyc

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 07:25:10 AM »
I missed the boat on the reissued ones...they looked to be slimmed up compared to the old puffy OGs. I really wish they'd reissue the SLB high tops too.
The original re-issue were virtually identical to the original, except being under the etnies label instead of the 'es label.  Also the SLB logo on the sheild on the original re-issues weren't that crazy puffy rubber thing.  The new re-re-issue are super trimmed down on padding (no puffy tonge) and don't have a good tread patter.  Those other SLB's were tight and should get re-issued, but I thought they were mids, and not hi's.

-mattyc
-mattyc

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
Damn faster, how'd you come by those? Pretty sick! Im going to buy a pair of the denim ecues this week just for a keepsake.

i don't like dropping names so i'll just say they got left at my crib.
i saw those demin e-cues on ebay as well as few others, i just wish i had bigger feet.

speaking of 'es, i'm a sucker for those square ones.  if i see them on sale i almost always buy them.  they're a bit on the heavy side and the sole doesn't last very long but i still like them.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
Matt,

The first Sal 23 low tops were Etnies, not 'eS. I had pairs of both. The main differences were the logo on the tongue, the sole tread pattern, and the 'eS versions had these weird gel heel things that were glued to the insoles. The glue on the heel gel things wasn't very good and they would end up slipping around so I just took them out.

Yeah, mid top/high top...anything that's not a low top is basically the same to me because I mostly wear/have worn low tops. But I'll probably wear more mids/his in the future because I could use the extra ankle support.

See link from an old CCS catalog:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The original re-issue were virtually identical to the original, except being under the etnies label instead of the 'es label.  Also the SLB logo on the sheild on the original re-issues weren't that crazy puffy rubber thing.  The new re-re-issue are super trimmed down on padding (no puffy tonge) and don't have a good tread patter.  Those other SLB's were tight and should get re-issued, but I thought they were mids, and not hi's.

-mattyc

mattyc

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Matt,

The first Sal 23 low tops were Etnies, not 'eS. I had pairs of both. The main differences were the logo on the tongue, the sole tread pattern, and the 'eS versions had these weird gel heel things that were glued to the insoles. The glue on the heel gel things wasn't very good and they would end up slipping around so I just took them out.

Yeah, mid top/high top...anything that's not a low top is basically the same to me because I mostly wear/have worn low tops. But I'll probably wear more mids/his in the future because I could use the extra ankle support.

See link from an old CCS catalog:

Expand Quote

-mattyc
[close]

Man, I'm pretty sure I remember the SLB's being one of the very first of the 'es line.  What year was that link from, b/c 'es official website claims (like i was remembering) that they the 23 was launched in 95 on es'

http://esskateboarding.com/blog/2005/07/21/1995es-footwear-launches/

-mattyc
-mattyc

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
Speaking of Nike, how is the durability of Janoskis compared to some Vans Chukkas or AV6 ??

brokenheadphone

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
I'm not sure when the catalog page came out '94 maybe?  I got it from this web page:

http://thehundreds.com/blog/uncategorized/back-in-the-day-when-i-was-a-teenager/

I started skating in '94 and I distinctly remember getting Etnies Sal 23s as my third pair of skate shoes (first two pairs were Vans old schools and Airwalk Tony Hawks). My younger brother got the same exact pair as me when I got my Sals, black Etnies Sal 23s. I even remember the skateshop where I got them because it was the only legit shop in town at the time.

After my black Etnies Sal 23s wore out, you couldn't get them anymore and the skateshop had the new 'eS versions of them. I got the white 'eS ones then. They were one of the first 'eS shoes, but that model just came out on Etnies first. I can promise you that. Anyway, if you need more proof, I'm pretty sure you can see dudes skating them in Second Hand Smoke, and that video came out in '94. I'm sure you can find more proof in old mags, or just ask older skaters, or contact Sal himself.

Just found this Sal Ad from '94...

http://skate.ly/library/ads/etnies-sal-barbier-1994

This webpage also has them listed under the 1994 section of the history thing:

http://etnies.com/history/

mattyc

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
I'm not sure when the catalog page came out '94 maybe?  I got it from this web page:

http://thehundreds.com/blog/uncategorized/back-in-the-day-when-i-was-a-teenager/

I started skating in '94 and I distinctly remember getting Etnies Sal 23s as my third pair of skate shoes (first two pairs were Vans old schools and Airwalk Tony Hawks). My younger brother got the same exact pair as me when I got my Sals, black Etnies Sal 23s. I even remember the skateshop where I got them because it was the only legit shop in town at the time.

After my black Etnies Sal 23s wore out, you couldn't get them anymore and the skateshop had the new 'eS versions of them. I got the white 'eS ones then. They were one of the first 'eS shoes, but that model just came out on Etnies first. I can promise you that. Anyway, if you need more proof, I'm pretty sure you can see dudes skating them in Second Hand Smoke, and that video came out in '94. I'm sure you can find more proof in old mags, or just ask older skaters, or contact Sal himself.

Just found this Sal Ad from '94...

http://skate.ly/library/ads/etnies-sal-barbier-1994

This webpage also has them listed under the 1994 section of the history thing:

http://etnies.com/history/

Ah... looks like I just wasn't around for the original issue of them.  I didn't start skating till 95, and I didn't them till the 'es line started. I remember getting california skate express or CSS and seeing them in there.  Then my friend got the SLB mids, and they were tight. I also didn't see SHS till 95, but I do remember that shoe being everywhere in that video.  Thanks for the correction.
-mattyc
-mattyc

• Rep: -2
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

all of those shoes > anything out today

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
When the Sal low tops were released by eS they had the eS logo instead of the 23, or at least the pairs i had did.

IskateBaker

• Rep: -70
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
I have a pair of Janoskis now, they skate super well, but dont hold up. I heard they are going to bring back the Air Harbors. I really hope they do because they skated very well, and hold up.
really, i heard that too, i always liked how the harbors looked, but never got any. hopefully if the do bring them back they add some more shit on to it so there even better, and not make them too expensive
nigga when's the last time you caught a pokemon with a great ball?

nylin

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
you don't have to sign off everytime you comment.

- thepman.
[close]

No idea what you're talking about. I haven't logged out....ever.
-mattyc
[close]

oh wow

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
you don't have to sign off everytime you comment.

- thepman.
[close]

No idea what you're talking about. I haven't logged out....ever.
-mattyc
[close]

oh wow
[close]

now i'm starting to doubt what actually happened here.

-NowHereInLife

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:16 PM »
A note on being a noobie.  I've been a lurker here for a few years, But haven't ever posted.  I tried joining once but never got my verification email.  When I tried to sign up today, i found out that my initial registration did in fact go through, I just never got the email.  That said. I know there's a hesitancy to comment on posters who aren't part of the actual community of users, b/c 90% don't post more than a couple times...and usually on their own threads, and they never actually try to be a part of the community.  Just want to say that I'm not going to be like that. I'll actually stick around and be part of the community.
-mattyc

Pick up a pair of Zoom FP's.  They seem indestructible.