Author Topic: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's  (Read 12845 times)

mooraga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
Re: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
I haven't skate a single pair of nikes in my life
too expensive and hard to find in my country

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
you just bought the wrong pair...dunks and blazers look pretty damn durable. the prod vulc shit is of course going to be less durable than his previous cupsole models. this goes for pretty much any brand.

also, the prod shoe is not aimed at the sneaker head. selling a prod is like 1/40th of any other nike sales at the shop i work at. the sneaker heads want dunks. the sale wall wants prods.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
Nike "quality" has been going downhill for years. Pretty much everything in the world has though. I would never buy a house that was built in recent years, at least around my way.

mattyc

• Rep: -6
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
you just bought the wrong pair...dunks and blazers look pretty damn durable. the prod vulc shit is of course going to be less durable than his previous cupsole models. this goes for pretty much any brand.

also, the prod shoe is not aimed at the sneaker head. selling a prod is like 1/40th of any other nike sales at the shop i work at. the sneaker heads want dunks. the sale wall wants prods.

the 3's (which are cup soles) were the one's that tore up super fast due to the lack of a second toecap layer.  The 2's lasted nearly twice as long simply because of the double layered toecap.  The switch to the less durable vulc type, and the skimping on excess materials (like 2 toecap layers) is why I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a decline in the quality of SB's.

I'd still skate the shit out of 3's. They were super comfortable....and I could superglue the toecap stitching to keep it from pac manning on me before the soles were worn out.  Only problem is they don't make them anymore. 

-mattyc

-mattyc
-mattyc

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

illmatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • g'd up from the feet up
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
was it two months ya say?

sounds about right for most shoes

especially my favorite ones
ugh, thanks rupert, I have been looking for the adio myspace website for quite some time...

spare change

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the 3's (which are cup soles) were the one's that tore up super fast due to the lack of a second toecap layer.  The 2's lasted nearly twice as long simply because of the double layered toecap.  The switch to the less durable vulc type, and the skimping on excess materials (like 2 toecap layers) is why I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a decline in the quality of SB's.

I'd still skate the shit out of 3's. They were super comfortable....and I could superglue the toecap stitching to keep it from pac manning on me before the soles were worn out.  Only problem is they don't make them anymore.  

-mattyc

-mattyc
Questioning the quality of an entire footwear brand based off your experience with one shoe model in an uncontrolled environment seems a bit off base. Was it the summer or winter? We're you skating daily or weekly?Do you do a lot of flip tricks?We're you not with the other pairs?Do you wear other shoes around and then only skate in these or are they worn everywhere?So many other things attribute to a shoes durability,it seems odd to expect the exact same performance out of a completely different shoe that's being used in a similar manner but with a multitude of variables. If you skated only prod 2's and then they started exploding on you in a week or so I'd say you had a valid concern. Plus maybe you progressed, and it shows in how long your shoes last.The product isn't always to blame, it's all in how you use it.

sixpackoftablets

• Rep: -24
  • salut les fuckheadz
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
better late than never

Roach maynE

• Rep: -11
    • dj fades hip hop spy avatar image
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 07:21:29 PM »
i wanna get some of the new dunks but theyre so expensive

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 07:40:30 PM »
funny you should post this. i feel my bruins i am skating currently are wearing out faster than my last pair, which i had maybe a year and a half ago.

mattyc

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Questioning the quality of an entire footwear brand based off your experience with one shoe model in an uncontrolled environment seems a bit off base. Was it the summer or winter? We're you skating daily or weekly?Do you do a lot of flip tricks?We're you not with the other pairs?Do you wear other shoes around and then only skate in these or are they worn everywhere?So many other things attribute to a shoes durability,it seems odd to expect the exact same performance out of a completely different shoe that's being used in a similar manner but with a multitude of variables. If you skated only prod 2's and then they started exploding on you in a week or so I'd say you had a valid concern. Plus maybe you progressed, and it shows in how long your shoes last.The product isn't always to blame, it's all in how you use it.

I agree that basing an assumption based off of experience with one model of shoe in an uncontrolled environment is off base, but that's not exactly what I was doing.  I was posting my experience to see if anyone else had similar experience with the brand. All of your questions are totally valid and but I'd ruled most of those variables out.  I'm in my late 20's and only get to skate 1-3 times a week for 2-4 hours a session, so skate shoes/decks/etc can last a while for me since I haven't had time to do the skate every day thing since high school.  This also means, progression doesn't happen all that quickly.  My skating habits haven't changed much over the past 7 years since I started whole the 9-5 work routine.  I also have a shoe graveyard that streches back a couple years, so I know exactly how my skating tears up shoes.  If you look at the wear of this particular pair of prod 3's compared to the wear on the previous pair of shoes i skated (prod 2's) there's a significant difference in the amount of wear.  Simply put: I skated this pair of shoes (prod3's) for half as long as skate shoes usually last me, and the kickflip/ollie areas have about 4 times as much wear as my previous pair of skate shoes (prod2's).  I think it's fairly reasonable to expect the newer version of the same model shoe to last about the same amount of time as it's predecessor.

-mattyc
-mattyc

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
i wanna get some of the new dunks but theyre so god damn expensive

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
I have a pair of Janoskis now, they skate super well, but dont hold up. I heard they are going to bring back the Air Harbors. I really hope they do because they skated very well, and hold up.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »

Somehow they had no classics at all...which I found Odd.  I ended up with a pair of Bruin's I wasn't too stoaked on.  They'll do for now. I suppose.

-mattyc

if you were upset about all the cup/vulc hybrids because you don't like vulcs...why did you buy one of Nike SB's thinnest vulc models?
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

mattyc

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Somehow they had no classics at all...which I found Odd.  I ended up with a pair of Bruin's I wasn't too stoaked on.  They'll do for now. I suppose.

-mattyc
[close]

if you were upset about all the cup/vulc hybrids because you don't like vulcs...why did you buy one of Nike SB's thinnest vulc models?

Awesome, thanks for pointing out how much of an idiot I am. I totally thought these bruin's were the hybrid crap, but you're totally right, they are full vulc.  After I tried on the Prod 4's and realizing they were a hybrid and they weren't comfortable at all. I told the guy at the shop i wanted to try on all the SB Cups, so I assumed everything he was bringing me was what nike was classifying as cup. Looks like the guy just didn't realize they were vulc and I just assumed they were hybrid, since they totally looked vucl.  After internet searching it looks like the Prod 4's and the blazer cupsoles are the one's i tried on that were the hybrids.
-mattyc
-mattyc

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
i wanna get some of the new dunks but theyre so god damn expensive
[close]

dunk lows are $83, mids $87, and highs are $93. But those are for a non-premium pair
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 12:45:43 AM »
Let's ask google

take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »
free shane o'neill!

-NowhwereInLife

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 05:36:21 AM »
the first sbs i had were thje newsprint blazer low and they lasted forever  i even skated em yesterday. if i could get a pair of blazers nowadays i would know for sure if the quality had changed.

i did have a pair of classics recently and they were garbage, mostly due to the material that composed the actual shoe. they felt like some rice paper kinda sides or something, combine that with the super thin and cheasy insole and they were total garbage.

and i totally know what your sayin about the p rod 3, my brother got the normal black/red/whites and they look like theyd be really durable, but something they did in the toe causes them to rip up really fast. as far as i can tell though the sole on that shoe is really good.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

-mattyc
[close]

[close]

Awesome, thanks for pointing out how much of an idiot I am. I totally thought these bruin's were the hybrid crap, but you're totally right, they are full vulc.  After I tried on the Prod 4's and realizing they were a hybrid and they weren't comfortable at all. I told the guy at the shop i wanted to try on all the SB Cups, so I assumed everything he was bringing me was what nike was classifying as cup. Looks like the guy just didn't realize they were vulc and I just assumed they were hybrid, since they totally looked vucl.  After internet searching it looks like the Prod 4's and the blazer cupsoles are the one's i tried on that were the hybrids.
-mattyc

I mean honestly next time I'd recommend getting the blazer low or mid CS, if you're hell bent on sticking with SB and cupsoles. They skate about as well as regular blazers, but last a little longer because of the cupsole. But personally I'd just switch brands if I were you. I got the emerica G-Code and that's probably my favorite cupsole shoe. Or just wait for the new Manchester XLK's, those are bound to be nice.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 06:48:43 AM »
its because they want you to buy more shoes but this isn't just nike, this is every skate shoe company out there. 
why make a shoe that will last forever when theres no money in it?  could you imagine a car company making an automobile that never breaks down?  why would you ever need to buy another one then?     
the worse they make them, the more often you'll buy them.  most companies have figured out that its better to spend money on advertising to build up their brand name/recognition rather than producing a quality product.  this formula has been working for a long time, not just for shoes but in everything we consume.       

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »
its because they want you to buy more shoes but this isn't just nike, this is every skate shoe company out there.? 
why make a shoe that will last forever when theres no money in it??  could you imagine a car company making an automobile that never breaks down??  why would you ever need to buy another one then??  ?  ? 
the worse they make them, the more often you'll buy them.?  most companies have figured out that its better to spend money on advertising to build up their brand name/recognition rather than producing a quality product.?  this formula has been working for a long time, not just for shoes but in everything we consume.?  ?  ?  ? 

?  ?  ? 

hence why there are loads of shoes at the moment that have soles about 10mm thick and canvas uppers, been waiting for the gravis dylan slip in suede for ages the canvas just dont last

mattyc

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »

I mean honestly next time I'd recommend getting the blazer low or mid CS, if you're hell bent on sticking with SB and cupsoles. They skate about as well as regular blazers, but last a little longer because of the cupsole. But personally I'd just switch brands if I were you. I got the emerica G-Code and that's probably my favorite cupsole shoe. Or just wait for the new Manchester XLK's, those are bound to be nice.

The only thing that keeps me wanting to stick with nike cupsole is the airzoom.  That's what makes them super comfortable.  I'm pretty sure the blazer cupsoles aren't airzoom.
-mattyc
-mattyc

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 07:33:03 AM »
'Es and DC both make shoes with impact gel and airbags in the heels. I know those brands aren't "hip" among the skinny jean crowd that makes up skaters today but whatever. At least they're making some shoes with padding and impact support, triple stitching, and double/triple layered ollie areas.  You can also improve any shoe by spending ~$20-30 on a pair of better insoles.

It doesn't surprise me that Nike skate shoes aren't the most durable or that the quality has gone down since they were introduced. In other sports, like running or basketball, Nikes have been known as shoes that wear out fast and are kinda cheaply made.

I've never had a pair of SBs because I just started skating again and they didn't even exist when I last skated. The only models I would even seriously consider are the Salazars and the Zoom Tres (discontinued). Dunks seem okay and the new Kostons might be good (or not). Personally I don't know why everyone thinks the Janoskis are so great...they look like wannabe boat shoes and the thin, floppy design can't be that comfortable.

mattyc

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »
I don't know why everyone thinks the Janoskis are so great...they look like wannabe boat shoes

hahahaha. Yes. exactly.
-mattyc

-mattyc

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
janoski materials/quality seem to be getting better as time goes on. take for example how flimsy the burgundy pair were from last year to the brown rattan this year. janoskis are the only sbs i skate, but from what i know, quality is still great

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
Janoski's feel pretty good to skate in. I like the Omar's a lot though. Never thought that was an ugly shoe. My only small issue with them is the toe seems to deform pretty fast. Most durable Nike's I've ever gotten. Janoski's last a week or two of skating every day. Omar's lasted a little over a month and still had a little life in them. Nike's quality today, as poor as it may be, is still way above any of sole tech shoe's I've skated (Leo's and Hsu's).

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
Janoski's feel pretty good to skate in. I like the Omar's a lot though. Never thought that was an ugly shoe. My only small issue with them is the toe seems to deform pretty fast. Most durable Nike's I've ever gotten. Janoski's last a week or two of skating every day. Omar's lasted a little over a month and still had a little life in them. Nike's quality today, as poor as it may be, is still way above any of sole tech shoe's I've skated (Leo's and Hsu's).

if you get nikes "tech shoes" they tend to be a bit bulky but they last a really long time. 
if you get nikes "fashion shoes", they ain't lasting for shit.  comfortable yes, durable no.

and though its harsh, i have to agree with your last statement.  i like almost every rider under the sole tech umbrella but their shoes don't last at all, not even as chillin shoes, its a shame. 

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I want to like sole tech. I've skated probably 10 pairs of Hsu's and they all fell apart quickly. Sole pealed off and all sorts of weird shit that normally doesn't happen to the shoes I skate. I went through a pair of Leo's in two days just skating flat ground, but those were meant to be flimsy shoes so I'm not surprised.

I might be the only dude on the planet that liked the Nike E-Cues. Boardfeel wasn't the best but you could skate a pair of those for ever, and since they were unpopular, you could usually score them for 30-40 bucks a pair at shops.