Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798513 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1620 on: March 31, 2019, 02:23:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had my first session with the Bones Easy Streets today. They are not faster than Spitfire Formula Four 99s nor do they slide better. They are decent wheels but nothing special. No reason to get them over the Spits at all. Might try to sell mine and just buy another set of Spits to replace them 🤔
[close]

What size and shape? How much would you want for them?
[close]

54 mm and I dunno what the shape is called but it’s whatever shape the 54 mm ones came in. I live in Finland though so unless you live here too, it probably won’t work out. 🤔
[close]

ahh damn nevermind. There's a lot of good feedback on the easy streets thread. I like both stfs and f4 99s, so was quite down to try these.

Yeah, I guess they're good wheels. Maybe my expectations were too high but I did a side by side comparison with 99A Formula Fours and to me the Spits felt better in every way. Maybe I'll give them a few more sessions before going back to Formula Fours full time. 🤔

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1621 on: March 31, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
Am I stupid for thinking that anyone who buys any wheels other than bones or spits is insane? Even brands like Ricta or OJ.
A few pages back someone was interested in alien workshop wheels... like what!?
I'm into supporting smaller brands, but Id imagine there's just no way any other brands are as resistant to flat spots over time as bones and spitfire.
I try to ride wheels for about a year a set (I live in the midwest so I don't skate as much from November to April)
Does the ~feel~ of other brands make a difference in your excitement to go skate? Ive been on bones stf for like 10 years..

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1622 on: March 31, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
Am I stupid for thinking that anyone who buys any wheels other than bones or spits is insane? Even brands like Ricta or OJ.
I'm into supporting smaller brands, but Id imagine there's just no way any other brands are as resistant to flat spots over time as bones and spitfire.
I try to ride wheels for about a year a set (I live in the midwest so I don't skate as much from November to April)
Does the ~feel~ of other brands make a difference in your excitement to go skate? Ive been on bones stf for like 10 years..

I used to skate alien wheels all the time (2003 until like 2012-ish) and good lord did they fucking suck. I liked how they looked and my weird brand loyalty just made me buy and buy them even though they were slow and slid horribly.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1623 on: March 31, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
I'm looking for a really slippery wheel that slides for miles. Anyone have recommendations?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1624 on: March 31, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »

In my 12 years of skating I never had a set of Spits or Bones (neither Ricta or OJ). In those years I dont recall having problems with flatspots, while I've seen spits and bones from friends that resembled more to a cube than a wheel... People trust the big dogs more because they've been here for so long and they have the marketing power that smaller brands dont have. That doesnt mean that big brands dont make a good product, they do, but smaller brands need to try 10 times harder to convince us that they also do, so I usually trust that their product is going to deliver.
I also like to try new things out and it does excite me to ride smaller brands...
In the last couple months I've been riding a set of FSCW, a brand from the UK that sponsors a lot of the Sour guys, and I only have nice things to say... Great wheels that are taking ages to wear down! (They also cost 2/3 of a set of F4's).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #1625 on: March 31, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
I've been skating some Loophole 54s lately. They feel like F4s, they are fast, slide really good but feel harder than a 99a but not as hard as 101a. They have a similar shape to Spit's classics.
Really digging them even though I prefer a softer wheel.

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1626 on: April 01, 2019, 10:29:20 AM »
In my 12 years of skating I never had a set of Spits or Bones (neither Ricta or OJ). In those years I dont recall having problems with flatspots, while I've seen spits and bones from friends that resembled more to a cube than a wheel... People trust the big dogs more because they've been here for so long and they have the marketing power that smaller brands dont have. That doesnt mean that big brands dont make a good product, they do, but smaller brands need to try 10 times harder to convince us that they also do, so I usually trust that their product is going to deliver.
I also like to try new things out and it does excite me to ride smaller brands...
In the last couple months I've been riding a set of FSCW, a brand from the UK that sponsors a lot of the Sour guys, and I only have nice things to say... Great wheels that are taking ages to wear down! (They also cost 2/3 of a set of F4's).
I see what you're saying. I guess bones stf have just been so good to me that Ive never felt the need to try anything else. Not only have I never had a flatspot with them, but they also stay smooth throughout their entire lifespan. My only issue was that they're so hard that they feel slow and loud on rough ground (which is very common where I live) but now that they have the easy street formula I feel that might be the perfect wheel for me, so my next set of wheels will be bones again. I also live in the US so the big dog brands have been more accessible and probably more affordable to me than they are for you. I would definitely recommend bones stf to anyone who skates street and likes ledges and grinds

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1627 on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:42 AM »

honestly i feel like if you don't try you'll never really know. would i have bought spitfire classics if the bike shop had them in? probably. are the ricta's i got instead (arguably) better than the classics for the same price? in my opinion most definitely and they're probably my new favorite wheel. i would probably steer away from lower end price point wheels ie deck companies own wheels, stuff like oj concentrates (fucking awful), spitfire lowdowns and so forth but it cant hurt to experiment. guy above skating fscw's and he's loving them, personally i think the set i skated were a bit shite in terms of slidability but thats a matter of opinion and if you're happy with what you're skating by all means stick with it. i've skated f4's, stfs, etc and imo these ricta's (in my opinion) are just as good if not better; same slidability, good wheelshape and also somewhat cheaper.

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1628 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »
honestly i feel like if you don't try you'll never really know. would i have bought spitfire classics if the bike shop had them in? probably. are the ricta's i got instead (arguably) better than the classics for the same price? in my opinion most definitely and they're probably my new favorite wheel. i would probably steer away from lower end price point wheels ie deck companies own wheels, stuff like oj concentrates (fucking awful), spitfire lowdowns and so forth but it cant hurt to experiment. guy above skating fscw's and he's loving them, personally i think the set i skated were a bit shite in terms of slidability but thats a matter of opinion and if you're happy with what you're skating by all means stick with it. i've skated f4's, stfs, etc and imo these ricta's (in my opinion) are just as good if not better; same slidability, good wheelshape and also somewhat cheaper.
Many good points here. I had some hand me down rictas around 2008 which I personally did not enjoy very much. I always liked their team though.. I figured I would check out their website after your kind words and it seems that they have cut Kareem Campbell, Arto Saari, Mark Appleyard, and G-off Rowley from the squad in order to afford paying Nyjah $100,000 a month. That doesnt sit well with me. I think Ill stick to bones for now.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #1629 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:57 AM »
bones and ricta have always been to hard for me. i skate a indoor park from time to time and bones just have no grip on wood. i used to be really in to satori till the formula changed. now tend to stick with ojs and spitfire classics. something about the grip and bark of natural urethane that cant be beat. the f4 are good i like the conicals but they just dont feel as grippy as classics.   

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1630 on: April 03, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Many good points here. I had some hand me down rictas around 2008 which I personally did not enjoy very much. I always liked their team though.. I figured I would check out their website after your kind words and it seems that they have cut Kareem Campbell, Arto Saari, Mark Appleyard, and G-off Rowley from the squad in order to afford paying Nyjah $100,000 a month. That doesnt sit well with me. I think Ill stick to bones for now.

i too recall rictas around 08 but it was mostly the cored ones that always ended up popping out. did they really cut them solely for that reason? i get the 100k thing was an exaggeration but i highly doubt kareem arto and apples were moving product, rowley maybe but he's on OJ? now plus apples is on bones so it's not like they'll be struggling for product.

somedudefromnj

« Reply #1631 on: April 03, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i too recall rictas around 08 but it was mostly the cored ones that always ended up popping out. did they really cut them solely for that reason? i get the 100k thing was an exaggeration but i highly doubt kareem arto and apples were moving product, rowley maybe but he's on OJ? now plus apples is on bones so it's not like they'll be struggling for product.

I had one pair of Rictas in my life (been skating since early 2000's) and never bought another pair because of the core popping out. Tried bones and liked them, but i was always just buying colored wheels for my eyes.

Randomly bought OJ's and they rolled good, but I didnt notice they were the ditch witches so they didnt slide all too well. Thats when it made sense to look into sizes and softness and that led me to checking out their team, so I will admit I buy them to support their team and the wheels arent too bad.

Boserio, Dela, And Davis are some of my favorite pros these days and after seeing eS go down a few years ago i realized how important it was to support what you like.

BUT

If you dont care about all that then fuck it buy some spits. Rictas did roll amazing, but the cores left a bad taste in my mouth.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1632 on: April 03, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You're sig is awesome, who is that?

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #1633 on: April 03, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
How about some wheels that are faster on asphalt than my current 52mm Bones 100's? The love these wheels, but the push factor is high.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1634 on: April 03, 2019, 11:38:01 PM »
How about some wheels that are faster on asphalt than my current 52mm Bones 100's? The love these wheels, but the push factor is high.

Wider, softer, bigger. Pick and choose. Take all three for maximum speed.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1635 on: April 04, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wider, softer, bigger. Pick and choose. Take all three for maximum speed.
And/or faster formula, STF/F4.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1636 on: April 04, 2019, 03:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

You're sig is awesome, who is that?

honestly not 100% sure i just gif'd it from some old johnny wilson video

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #1637 on: April 04, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
i kinda miss the ride of dual durometer wheel of days past. hard on the outside soft in the middle. made for a good ride in my opinion.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1638 on: April 04, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »
i kinda miss the ride of dual durometer wheel of days past. hard on the outside soft in the middle. made for a good ride in my opinion.

LOVED skating Autobahns for this very reason. =(

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1639 on: April 04, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Powerflex wheels do this.  Soft core.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1640 on: April 05, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

True, but the outer duro is still too soft imo

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1641 on: April 05, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »
I thought this was an april fools joke at first but Bones is intentionally releasing an off white, F4 colored wheel

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1642 on: April 05, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »
Good. Probably just means less effort to try and make them look white. ie.less additives? Urethane ain't white. I actually prefer the look.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1643 on: April 05, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
I thought this was an april fools joke at first but Bones is intentionally releasing an off white, F4 colored wheel

Getting the vibe they are desperate for market share...

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1644 on: April 05, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
Been interested in trying these for a while. I'm not even convinced they'd be good. I just want to skate them.

full of jerks

« Reply #1645 on: April 05, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

?  They make em in 84b

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=86470

I've never tried em though.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1646 on: April 06, 2019, 02:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

?  They make em in 84b

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=86470

I've never tried em though.

Yah but the formula is not conducive to slidez

Diocletian

« Reply #1647 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Those off white Bones look way better than their usual white ones. Always hated how plasticky/toy store their wheels looked.

Side note, I’m currently on some Spitfire SFW Anderson 55mm and they feel amazing. I think they may have ruined my ability to appreciate normal round cut wheels now. These look perfect whenever I glance at them.

full of jerks

« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #1649 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »

Pretty hilarious that you cant flip them to hide the graphics. I like that shape though.. how do classics compare to F4s? I don't powerslide, only revert