Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798697 times)

beecee, yourfuckingdad (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4380 on: July 24, 2022, 11:03:30 AM »
What’s the best NB chiller?

I tried the 997H and a massive tear formed around the pinky toe of my right shoe.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4381 on: July 24, 2022, 12:06:31 PM »
New 808 colorway

https://www.ollietrickshop.it/shop/brand/new-balance/new-balance-numeric-scarpa-sportiva-nm-808-brd-tiago-lemos-black-red/

Not super hyped on this colorway but this is a new angle I haven’t seen of the 808 before. Looking forward to giving these a try. Need a white and cream colorway

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4382 on: July 24, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »
I think they look pretty sick. Tho the NB logo could have been smaller.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4383 on: July 24, 2022, 01:00:08 PM »

I tried the 997H and a massive tear formed around the pinky toe of my right shoe.

I like the 574, had a couple pairs and never had a problem with them

eSK3

« Reply #4384 on: July 24, 2022, 01:33:17 PM »

Made in USA anything pretty much and they all come in wider widths if that’s what you need.

eSK3

« Reply #4385 on: July 24, 2022, 01:34:09 PM »
I think they look pretty sick. Tho the NB logo could have been smaller.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #4386 on: July 24, 2022, 05:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Made in USA anything pretty much and they all come in wider widths if that’s what you need.
Yup I have a pair of the Made in USA 990v3s and they're by far the comfiest shoes I own. Definitely more expensive but worth it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #4387 on: July 24, 2022, 06:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote
how do the 480s skate? if truly a dunk alternative, im in
[close]

I got lucky and an NB homie sent me a couple pair of 480s. They skate really good. The sole is thinner than it looks in photos. I would say probably similar in thickness to a Dunk sole. The upper is much less padded. Decent padding around the collar, but the tongue is basically not padded. Myself, I much prefer tongues like that. A huge thing I don't like about Dunk SBs is the tongue and where they have the straps. If you do the laces all the way to the second hole then they look all weird like you're sucking them in, and if you do them one hole down the tongue sticks up too high like you're trying to puff them out.

TLDR 480 is kind of a perfect cupsole to skate. Great boardfeel, not too thick, not too thin. If you're looking for a Dunk substitute, the sole is, the upper isn't as padded. Crazy glue the seams and you'll be good. 9/10 Watty fucks wit it. IF they make a Numeric version, it will be amazing.

Here's the pair I skated. (There was a smaller N on top of this one that I popped off.)

In answer to your other question, switching insoles on 1010s is unnecessary. I swapped insoles in the 480, but no need in 1010s at all.
This is an issue with shoe design that isn't brought up enough lol. I wear 13s and they almost never look right if you don't go right to the top hole and even then they often look rambo'd

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4388 on: July 24, 2022, 06:38:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yup I have a pair of the Made in USA 990v3s and they're by far the comfiest shoes I own. Definitely more expensive but worth it.

I think I’d much rather do the Made in the USA NB’s than another pair of Air Max 95’s or 97’s. If they last long enough, that’ll more than justify the cost.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4389 on: July 25, 2022, 10:26:06 AM »
I'm currently skating Crockett Highs, but kinda interested in NB again. I found the 440 too thin, 508 my heel slipped, and the 1010 is a bit too much for me. I'm not fully a cup dude and I've heard good things about the 272 and 306. Can anyone give a comparison to the Vans skate line in terms of flick, padding, and board feel.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4390 on: July 25, 2022, 11:46:48 AM »
I'm currently skating Crockett Highs, but kinda interested in NB again. I found the 440 too thin, 508 my heel slipped, and the 1010 is a bit too much for me. I'm not fully a cup dude and I've heard good things about the 272 and 306. Can anyone give a comparison to the Vans skate line in terms of flick, padding, and board feel.

no experience with 272 or 306 but maybe just put a thicker insole in 440s?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #4391 on: July 25, 2022, 01:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I think I’d much rather do the Made in the USA NB’s than another pair of Air Max 95’s or 97’s. If they last long enough, that’ll more than justify the cost.
can't go wrong with anything in the made in usa 990 series, the only one i'm not really a fan of is the 990v2. if you look around you can find them cheaper in non-hyped colorways, last year i got a practically new pair of grey 990v4 for under $100 on ebay.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4392 on: July 25, 2022, 01:48:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
can't go wrong with anything in the made in usa 990 series, the only one i'm not really a fan of is the 990v2. if you look around you can find them cheaper in non-hyped colorways, last year i got a practically new pair of grey 990v4 for under $100 on ebay.

I may even wait until the next Aime Leon Dore X New Balance collab kicks. The Made in the USA shoes do look good though.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #4393 on: July 25, 2022, 01:51:51 PM »

990v5

eSK3

« Reply #4394 on: July 25, 2022, 04:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Most made in USA are in the 170-230 range. Air max are in the same range. Made in USA quality and construction far surpass 98% of Asia made pairs. You’ll get years out of NB made in USA vs anything else mass produced.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4395 on: July 25, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Most made in USA are in the 170-230 range. Air max are in the same range. Made in USA quality and construction far surpass 98% of Asia made pairs. You’ll get years out of NB made in USA vs anything else mass produced.

I’m leaning towards that direction. I just wish they made the Made in the USA kicks in better colorways.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4396 on: July 25, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m leaning towards that direction. I just wish they made the Made in the USA kicks in better colorways.

I’m thinking the 1-2 punch of Made in the USA NB’s and some Allen Edmonds oxfords would be an undefeated chiller lineup.

eSK3

« Reply #4397 on: July 25, 2022, 06:10:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m thinking the 1-2 punch of Made in the USA NB’s and some Allen Edmonds oxfords would be an undefeated chiller lineup.

Cream low top Wally’s are up at the top of the list.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #4398 on: July 25, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

NB 990 Made in the USA in Black... about $190

Like walking on clouds, and makes my old go to the 574 feel like dog shit.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4399 on: July 26, 2022, 08:13:12 AM »
2002R isent bad either, if u want a cheaper pair. Imo, NB is just so much better quality, atleast felt quality, than Nike and Adidas.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #4400 on: July 26, 2022, 08:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

NB 990 Made in the USA in Black... about $190

Like walking on clouds, and makes my old go to the 574 feel like dog shit.

I feel like 990-992 have too much heel lift, feels like I’m wearing high heels with those shoes , I guess I’m just used to a flatter shoe

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #4401 on: July 26, 2022, 08:55:39 AM »

I have these and cannot get over how nice of a shoe they are

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #4402 on: July 26, 2022, 09:00:57 AM »
been lookin around for a non skate shoe to replace my Asics Gel Lyte V(probably the most comfortable shoe i've ever owned) and now you guys got me lookin at $200 NB's

possible unpopular opinion but i really don't like the heel on the 990v3's. I prefer the v2's

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4403 on: July 26, 2022, 09:39:14 AM »
Anyone wanna gimme some feedback on 272 and 306 compared to Vans skate or even 440

in flux

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4404 on: July 26, 2022, 10:35:33 AM »
306 is a bit closer to a 440 than a 272 would be.
The 306 is a cushioned vulc, where as a 440 is quite a thin cup.
I have skated both and like both, but not one is better for me.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #4405 on: July 26, 2022, 10:40:37 AM »
been lookin around for a non skate shoe to replace my Asics Gel Lyte V(probably the most comfortable shoe i've ever owned) and now you guys got me lookin at $200 NB's

possible unpopular opinion but i really don't like the heel on the 990v3's. I prefer the v2's

I fucking love the V2, definitely my favorite iteration

EDIT: If you're looking to go a step further Bodega is having a raffle today for 990V2 by Teddy Santis

https://bdgastore.com/blogs/upcoming-releases/7-28-22-new-balance-made-by-teddy-santis-m990ad2
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4406 on: July 26, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
Anyone wanna gimme some feedback on 272 and 306 compared to Vans skate or even 440

Ok, I have all three and a bunch of Vans. Love it or hate it the Vans pop cush is much thicker and more comfortable walking around and in the heel impact area than any of the 272/306/440 (in my opinion). The NB advantage is in the comfort and fit of the upper part of the shoe especially in the front half toe box area. The 306 has the widest most rectangular shape of the three and are my preference for skating, the sole is much thinner than Vans but not as floppy as the 440 probably due to being a vulc. The 272 has a little bit more of an athletic shoe (snug) fit and a bit of a heel lift with the new sole design. The sole seems a bit thicker than the 306 to me. The 440 is the most form fitting upper but as you noticed is a bit thin, it's not just the insole though I found the soles and front foxing (I know it's not technically foxing because it's molded) to be a bit floppy for my shape of foot especially for a cup. The 440s have become my go to chill shoes.

As far as padding goes they are all somewhere between an old skool and a Rowan. Obv Rowans and Half Cabs have a lot more shoe material for padding in the upper and overall more rigid than all of the NBs. I'm a transition/park skater so can't help too much on flick but again the Vans are overbuilt in that foxing area, NBs have a lot less material there.

If you have more specific questions or need pictures of any of these I'd be happy to help. My 272s are not yet skated and I have a pair of replacement 306s on ice (in addition to my well worn pair of 306s).
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4407 on: July 27, 2022, 05:28:09 PM »

These are pretty much all I can skate these days. Must be 7th pair in a row. Not super durable but no break in required, light, beefed up in all the right places, canvas where I want it and I can usually find them cheap. Just got these for a little over $50.

11.5s fit my fucked up wide feet really well, while I have to go up to 12s in other shoes.

Disclaimer: I typically put Remind Medic insoles in them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4408 on: July 27, 2022, 05:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cream low top Wally’s are up at the top of the list.

I’ve had some wallabees for 25 years. I wear them very infrequently, they are dusted and look beat, but for the first few years I’d drag them out to wear inside at house parties and shit. Mecca jeans. You couldn’t even talk to me.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #4409 on: July 28, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
You wanna pull a heist, draw guns and robberies
You wanna rock rep, step in yellow Wallabies