Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798865 times)

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6810 on: September 19, 2023, 08:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey Rothdigga! Isn’t there supposed to be a low top version of the retooled 440’s? Please tell me yes
[close]

Both low top and hi-top versions coming.  You definitely got a VERY early sneak peek from that video as those don't come out until Jan or so, unauthorized wear test video drop.
Roth made it sound like those 440v2s in that video aren't the final product, which it seems like most people (including me) would be stoked on.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #6811 on: September 19, 2023, 08:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Rothdigga! Isn’t there supposed to be a low top version of the retooled 440’s? Please tell me yes
[close]

Both low top and hi-top versions coming.  You definitely got a VERY early sneak peek from that video as those don't come out until Jan or so, unauthorized wear test video drop.
[close]
Roth made it sound like those 440v2s in that video aren't the final product, which it seems like most people (including me) would be stoked on.
That’s not the impression I got. Seems like he was saying that colorway won’t be out until January, not that the design isn’t final. I imagine that it is at this point. The year is over in three months.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6812 on: September 19, 2023, 09:06:05 AM »
Gonna double down. I actually wish the N was bigger on the new 440s. I want it to stretch from top to bottom like the 808s lol

yeah this

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #6813 on: September 19, 2023, 09:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I like the bolder angled N... Looks mean/faster.
Imo the thing that makes them less Court-like is the change on the eyestay that has that notch that is almost a lil Half-cab'esq (on the good end) or a bit midtop Emerica'esq (on the bad end). It's a bit more sporty, less timeless I guess. I'm more curious about the toe bumper shape, a bit weird that it swerves up towards the N but I need more pictures.

But now my question is: Why did it need a change in the first place? Seemed like a beloved shoe as it was.

Anyway, curious to see the low top.

I knew that Big N running into the eyestay reminded me of something. NB RC30.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #6814 on: September 19, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
good looking colorways in here. a black outsole colorway of the high that i would maybe possibly consider buying.

good come sausage

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6815 on: September 19, 2023, 10:11:35 AM »
@rothdigga there is still time to brand those new 440s as 440.1 and keep the ogs in the line...maybe? Who knows maybe these new ones will skate amazing but it's a big gamble for a shoe that has a pretty good following.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6816 on: September 19, 2023, 10:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I like the bolder angled N... Looks mean/faster.
Imo the thing that makes them less Court-like is the change on the eyestay that has that notch that is almost a lil Half-cab'esq (on the good end) or a bit midtop Emerica'esq (on the bad end). It's a bit more sporty, less timeless I guess. I'm more curious about the toe bumper shape, a bit weird that it swerves up towards the N but I need more pictures.

But now my question is: Why did it need a change in the first place? Seemed like a beloved shoe as it was.

Anyway, curious to see the low top.
[close]

I knew that Big N running into the eyestay reminded me of something. NB RC30.
These are fugly lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here’s something no one asked for:

The Reynolds have more padding in the heel. I measured with my digital calipers and they’re thicker by a couple millimeters. Also it might be an illusion due to the color, but the toe box appears to me more square. Overall it’s a beautiful shoe though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6817 on: September 19, 2023, 10:19:08 AM »
I measured the 480 vs 1010 with calipers and the forefoot is thicker by about an insole's worth AND the foam is harder. The heel was similar, but the 1010 has softer heel foam. For me skating them is night and day difference.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6818 on: September 19, 2023, 10:23:57 AM »
@rothdigga there is still time to brand those new 440s as 440.1 and keep the ogs in the line...maybe? Who knows maybe these new ones will skate amazing but it's a big gamble for a shoe that has a pretty good following.

I gotta say that if this is the new 440 that I won't be skating them anymore most likely maybe the lows if the color is alright. People are literally cutting the N's off their shoes as it is and it is the most commonly identified aesthetic qualm with various NB shoes so making it bigger is a really strange decision, but not as strange as redoing the heel collar and toecap.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6819 on: September 19, 2023, 10:29:49 AM »
Does Marius still ride for NB#? Seen him in them in some recent Insta clips.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #6820 on: September 19, 2023, 10:43:30 AM »
Gonna double down. I actually wish the N was bigger on the new 440s. I want it to stretch from top to bottom like the 808s lol

I agree on this, thats my favorite version of the "N", my eyes see it as a zig zag line, not so much as a "N"
Very excited for the V2 440s otherwise

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6821 on: September 19, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Build quality looks better on the new version. But I don’t know shit. Just a hunch.
[close]

Yah you also might not be able to see shit either cuz in the pic above the 2 lines of horizontal stitching on the collar don't actually run parallel to one another.

My guess is that they did this to stiffen up the collar. It wasn't super stiff for a high top and maybe some people didn't like that? I loved em so I'll be slowly stocking up on models to rotate for the next few years. Hopefully changes to the low won't be wonky. Toebox looks fine on second glance. But this definitely wasn't "minimal changes" IMO.

Barring any stitching mishaps which might happen in sample runs, my statement about the build quality looking better has to do with the upper looking a little bit more beefed up, the sole looks reworked and for some reason just looks like better in my opinion. I’m into the way the collar is angled in the back.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #6822 on: September 19, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I gotta say that if this is the new 440 that I won't be skating them anymore most likely maybe the lows if the color is alright. People are literally cutting the N's off their shoes as it is and it is the most commonly identified aesthetic qualm with various NB shoes so making it bigger is a really strange decision, but not as strange as redoing the heel collar and toecap.

Omgz stop the presses everybody ATTENTION NEW BALANCE. Lebowskis rug might not skate the 440s anymore oh no…

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #6823 on: September 19, 2023, 11:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Omgz stop the presses everybody ATTENTION NEW BALANCE. Lebowskis rug might not skate the 440s anymore oh no…

He's definitely the type of guy that announces on the IG comments that he will stop following a Celebrity after a controversial post.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #6824 on: September 19, 2023, 11:08:17 AM »
All they had to do was extend the foam to the toes, instead we get this…. Thing

Seems liked they changed everything that was working on that shoe and left the bad parts of it as-is; which would be the opposite of how I would go about refining an existing successful product, but that's just me.

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
« Reply #6825 on: September 19, 2023, 11:09:28 AM »
Tough fucking crowd on here!  Hahaha. 
Too late to brand it the 440.1 but we do have plans to keep some of the older versions of it periodically for those that are married to the old one.  I would say it's a little premature to completely give up on the shoe before you try it.  I'm a dedicated OG 440 wearer (both the hi and low) so I come from a place of loving the original shoe.  Jeff and Nick made some necessary improvements in it (I think Nick or me posted what they were a while back).  Once it's closer to dropping I'll share a pdf we made with the improvements all spelled out so you guys can see what was changed and what was left alone. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6826 on: September 19, 2023, 11:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

He's definitely the type of guy that announces on the IG comments that he will stop following a Celebrity after a controversial post.

1. I am not the only person in this thread not stoked on the design. No one cares if I will or won't skate it, I am only adding that to specify the level of bummed.
2. I don't follow or comment on any celebrity pages or rarely on anything on IG except friend's posts. Believe it or not, a person's personality is not inherently aligned with the content of every single one of their posts on a skateboarding messageboard.

uesty

• Rep: 95
« Reply #6827 on: September 19, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »
i saw and tried on some samples of future 440v2 colorways. the improvements on foot feel better and warranted. however i too dislike the new N. i'll probably get used to it and still skate them cause i have had MANY pairs of the v1 lows and highs.

might sprinkle in some 600s once the tom shoe drops cause why not?  8)

rothdigga

« Reply #6828 on: September 19, 2023, 12:29:03 PM »
To add to the conversation about the 440V2, we have some team guys as well who are VERY dedicated to that model and also didn't want it to change at all.  Granted they get everything for free, but they're just as stubborn to change as the rest of us and were an integral process in making the improvements on the shoe and they're all on board with it now. 
PJ used to just stockpile the older model of the 533 when we had it because he didn't want to change to the updated version...he must have kept like 200 pairs of it because he was still skating it up until recently.   

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6829 on: September 19, 2023, 12:38:26 PM »
To add to the conversation about the 440V2, we have some team guys as well who are VERY dedicated to that model and also didn't want it to change at all. 
Obviously Patrick comes to mind.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #6830 on: September 19, 2023, 12:42:20 PM »
To add to the conversation about the 440V2, we have some team guys as well who are VERY dedicated to that model and also didn't want it to change at all.  Granted they get everything for free, but they're just as stubborn to change as the rest of us and were an integral process in making the improvements on the shoe and they're all on board with it now. 
PJ used to just stockpile the older model of the 533 when we had it because he didn't want to change to the updated version...he must have kept like 200 pairs of it because he was still skating it up until recently.
If it was his pro shoe what was the reason for the V2? If I may ask.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6831 on: September 19, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
Yah piggybacking on that what feedback did the team have that sparked these new design elements? I definitely see why the panel in the Ollie area runs slightly higher and I know some soles wore quickly, but the collar was never a complaint that I had heard of.

rothdigga

« Reply #6832 on: September 19, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The very first 533 became pretty dated quickly for us and truly needed an upgrade in the sole and the build.  We're talking about 2014 here and I think we did the V2 in like early 2017?  I would have to look back to see.  It was one of our first initial models and usually at any shoe brand, the first designs of shoes don't last a super long time and need some updates quickly.  Now that we've had some consistency with our designers, our models are pretty on point from the get-go.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #6833 on: September 19, 2023, 12:56:58 PM »
good looking colorways in here. a black outsole colorway of the high that i would maybe possibly consider buying.

Oh man, I did not need to see these. There’s some fantastic colors in there.

The military green/black 440’s, and that blue/gold 808.

The white/red 417’s. NB is crushing it.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #6834 on: September 19, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
The very first 533 became pretty dated quickly for us and truly needed an upgrade in the sole and the build.  We're talking about 2014 here and I think we did the V2 in like early 2017?  I would have to look back to see.  It was one of our first initial models and usually at any shoe brand, the first designs of shoes don't last a super long time and need some updates quickly.  Now that we've had some consistency with our designers, our models are pretty on point from the get-go.
Never skated the first version but the V2 skated really well out of the box.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6835 on: September 19, 2023, 01:31:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Tough fucking crowd on here!  Hahaha. 
Too late to brand it the 440.1 but we do have plans to keep some of the older versions of it periodically for those that are married to the old one.  I would say it's a little premature to completely give up on the shoe before you try it.  I'm a dedicated OG 440 wearer (both the hi and low) so I come from a place of loving the original shoe.  Jeff and Nick made some necessary improvements in it (I think Nick or me posted what they were a while back).  Once it's closer to dropping I'll share a pdf we made with the improvements all spelled out so you guys can see what was changed and what was left alone.
Haha I will give it a chance. The shape and aesthetic just looks way more different than I hoped but if it works for you and other og 440 enjoyers, there's hope.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6836 on: September 19, 2023, 01:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This conversation made me do some youtube research and I respect PJ's good salesmanship despite not embracing V2 of that model.

BurritoMiles

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6837 on: September 19, 2023, 02:08:02 PM »
I have the Westgate's in 10.5. Safe to assume the Frankie's will fit the same?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #6838 on: September 19, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
I measured the 480 vs 1010 with calipers and the forefoot is thicker by about an insole's worth AND the foam is harder. The heel was similar, but the 1010 has softer heel foam. For me skating them is night and day difference.
That might explain why it feels like there's a telephone book between my shoes and my board. Two days in and I'm probably gonna relegate my 480's to chillers until they break in more. Most likely gonna skate some 1010's or 440's for now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
fuck you bama

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6839 on: September 19, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
The 480s become a lot softer once they break in. I compared my month old ones to a new pair and it’s insane how much more board feel the olds one have. So I’m gonna beat these down before switching out.