Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798697 times)

beecee, yourfuckingdad (+ 1 Hidden) and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

LebowskisRug

Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6840 on: September 19, 2023, 04:23:46 PM »
No offense, but you are also quite a bit heavier than the average skater. I am 6 foot 3 and I think you have 70lbs on me so it makes sense that the shoe would soften. My friend that tried the 480 for 3 weeks skated Dunks prior and although he liked the 480 fit better never got them to soften up enough and went back to Dunks. I've heard a few similar stories from early users/riders that it took them 2-3W of solid, frequent skating to get used to them/soften them up but even then they were a bit on the stiffer side.

I know that after 5hrs of walking and around 10hrs of skating they didn't change much for me and really fucked with my board feel and flick. I skated a new pair of 1010s today after an hour break in yesterday and it was night/day between this session for me and those 10 miserable hours. I'd gladly wear them to chill in if I replaced the insole and think they look great and are an awesome option for people who want more of a brick style shoe.

I will say that the ankle roll test was pretty bad for a cupsole due to how high the heel sits over the rear of the shoe.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #6841 on: September 19, 2023, 04:42:26 PM »
If you’re used to skating Dunks and 440s I can see why they’d feel stiff. But compared to the 808s I was running, these feel soft. The 440s are just too thin.

And even though I’m heavier, you probably skate harder than me. Most days I don’t even pop my board. So if you’re jumping a lot, you’d be putting more force on the soles in the end. So they should break in for you too 🤷🏿‍♂️

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #6842 on: September 19, 2023, 06:37:29 PM »
Quick update on my 480s.

I have had about 4.5 sessions in my blue/white 480s plus I have worn them around while not skating. I love the way these shoes look when I look down at them and I love that the ball of my foot doesn't ache from pushing. Most shoes absolutely destroy the ball of my foot.

The shoes are starting to break in a little. The upper feels perfect and the heel is getting a little bit softer but the board feel is not really improving.

Unfortunately, like most NB# cup soles, the arch area of the shoes are just too narrow for my foot. My arches ache terribly after skating in, or just wearing these shoes. I took out the insoles and cut out the material in the arch. They feel less painful now but it feels like my mid foot is sitting over the edges of the sole.

I am going to try skating them with the modified insoles tomorrow provided the smoke from the wildfires doesn't get worse in the SF Bay Area. Hopefully I can make them work. If not, I have a new pair of 272s, which are very comfortable right out of the box, ready to go.
How much for an order of ribs?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #6843 on: September 19, 2023, 08:14:41 PM »
I wonder if that 808 is intentionally referencing those Dill(?) Vitas.  Def intriguing

Space Monkey

• Rep: 35
« Reply #6844 on: September 19, 2023, 08:20:44 PM »
Any chance of fully synth/vegan 480s?
Maybe a Ryan Lay colorway... that is the same as the Reynolds
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:40:57 PM by Space Monkey »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #6845 on: September 19, 2023, 08:38:31 PM »
I wonder if that 808 is intentionally referencing those Dill(?) Vitas.  Def intriguing
I think the Dill Vitas you're referring to were made in a pretty common outdoor/hiking sneaker colorway. When I saw those 808s, it reminded me of the NB trail running shoes that were very common in the late 90s...

These were worn by very mid classmates in my elementary school, so I'm not really psyched on the colorway, but it is a bit nostalgic.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6846 on: September 19, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think the Dill Vitas you're referring to were made in a pretty common outdoor/hiking sneaker colorway. When I saw those 808s, it reminded me of the NB trail running shoes that were very common in the late 90s...

These were worn by very mid classmates in my elementary school, so I'm not really psyched on the colorway, but it is a bit nostalgic.

Oh yeah there you go.   Thanks!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6847 on: September 20, 2023, 03:38:01 AM »
Got my Reynolds 480s in from Premier. Went with a size 8 like my AS-1s and Fastbreaks and love the fit. Need to walk around in them and get a feel for the thick midsole.

Love that vans fuck up is our win. Those color ways flew off the shelves. If it’s any indication his pro model will outsell most if not all numeric models.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #6848 on: September 20, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »
Anyone know what the first pair he is wearing are?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxVtBcsugUW/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6849 on: September 20, 2023, 04:29:27 AM »

I think it’s next in line on the 480s.   You can see them on that photo that shows the whole range.  Probably in that Chicago zine link

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6850 on: September 20, 2023, 04:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Speaking of…were those Vitas good?   Remember they looked cool in Photosynthesis, but thought they looked a little off in the product shop.   Never saw those or any Vita in person, but I was just getting into skating as they were probably wrapping up

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #6851 on: September 20, 2023, 05:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
To add to the conversation about the 440V2, we have some team guys as well who are VERY dedicated to that model and also didn't want it to change at all. 
[close]
Obviously Patrick comes to mind.

what's up guys we're obvious patrick and we're gonna play some songs for you tonight
good come sausage

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6852 on: September 20, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »
I had some Vitas and they were not great not bad for the time. I remember them skating OK, but the quality not being great. They looked nicer in person but sorta had a an alt running vibe.

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6853 on: September 20, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »
I don´t like the N on the new 440 either. Not sure if its enough not to buy them since I really like the current version. I think the normal sized/smaller N is ok (even though I took it off some 440s before and they looked very good without it) and also the one thats so oversized that it´s more of a zigzag line like in the 808. The one on the new 440 just doesnt really do it for me.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #6854 on: September 20, 2023, 08:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Speaking of…were those Vitas good?   Remember they looked cool in Photosynthesis, but thought they looked a little off in the product shop.   Never saw those or any Vita in person, but I was just getting into skating as they were probably wrapping up
Weren't they meant to be really cheap? I think the dills were only meant to be like half the price of the muskas at that time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6855 on: September 20, 2023, 09:40:06 AM »
I can't recall as this was 2000 or so and I got a deal through the shop my friend worked at. I had the Dills and I remember everyone clowning on me for having "fake Axions". They didn't skate bad for how puffy they were but I remember the materials just feeling cheep and the ollie area blowing out super fast. At the same time the kickflip area on my K3's ripped after 2 sessions so they were a step up and I remember them being softer than other shoes. That was 25 years ago though and I can't remember what I honestly skated 2 years ago without looking at pics.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #6856 on: September 20, 2023, 09:43:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it’s next in line on the 480s.   You can see them on that photo that shows the whole range.  Probably in that Chicago zine link

Cheers
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

mini greek

• Rep: 32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6857 on: September 20, 2023, 10:03:10 AM »
I’m taking screenshots of all y’all hating the new 440s, so that when you start raving about how much BETTER they are, I’ll have receipts😂😂😂
#RelaxWeGotYou
Get litty.....

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6858 on: September 20, 2023, 10:08:02 AM »
NB# wearers gotta be among the most passionate skate shoe enthusiasts.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #6859 on: September 20, 2023, 10:45:38 AM »
I’m taking screenshots of all y’all hating the new 440s, so that when you start raving about how much BETTER they are, I’ll have receipts😂😂😂
#RelaxWeGotYou

doing the lord’s work 🫡

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #6860 on: September 20, 2023, 11:03:44 AM »
#RelaxWeGotYou
I'm sure they'll skate better no doubt about that which I think everyone would agree on. It's just the aesthetics of the newer version people aren't stoked on, myself included who is currently on their 3rd pair of highs in a row.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #6861 on: September 20, 2023, 12:07:43 PM »
I actually think they look alright (but with a slightly different sole could prob be considered a new shoe altogether) I do get why people are wary of change to a loved product tho, we've been thru it too many times now with other shoes.

noticing recently how many size 13 and 14 wearers are in this thread I think they could look better for those with big feet. Obvs it personal opinion but I do think there's a weird thing that happens where more bulky looking shoes look better in bigger sizes.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6862 on: September 20, 2023, 12:07:53 PM »
curious - for everyone who isnt digging the new 440s, how much do you think its the colorway that is affecting your opinion?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6863 on: September 20, 2023, 12:33:06 PM »
curious - for everyone who isnt digging the new 440s, how much do you think its the colorway that is affecting your opinion?

I like the blue color way. I’ll wear them I ain’t saying I won’t. 440 needed updated. My issue is they don’t look as slim. And look puffier and I’m just not a fan of bulky shoes and they look bulkier than the OGs. And it’s hard to find a slim cup. Not a fan of the giant N but a razor can help with that. But it seems like it serves a function so maybe it stays on. Clever design to help stitching with logo

508 are slimmer than they look i coukd be wrong about new 440.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6864 on: September 20, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »
That color is out currently and I like it so its not the color. I'll prob buy them at some point, but meanwhile can just stock up on sale pairs of the current version until a colorway that works well with the changes drops.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6865 on: September 20, 2023, 01:15:26 PM »
#RelaxWeGotYou
Lmao
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6867 on: September 20, 2023, 04:24:13 PM »
Toebock-ular

I do like them though outside of the u-shape.   Could do without “indoor” but probably easy to remove

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6868 on: September 20, 2023, 05:02:51 PM »
NB#: we're changing the 440 because it doesn't look good on shelves due to the toe raise
also NB#: we're putting out a shoe with both the heel AND toe raised!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6869 on: September 20, 2023, 05:04:49 PM »
NB#: we're changing the 440 because it doesn't look good on shelves due to the toe raise
also NB#: we're putting out a shoe with both the heel AND toe raised!

I think it’d be too powerful otherwise.   I do like it a lot.   Want it to have that Silas 1 grey colorway